Read 1235482 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7520 on: March 12, 2020, 09:47:01 am »
Are all you P.S. teachers still deskwarming? Apparently I have to come in while all the other teachers stay at home next week. I hate not being treated like a human being ffs.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #7521 on: March 12, 2020, 09:50:35 am »
Are all you P.S. teachers still deskwarming? Apparently I have to come in while all the other teachers stay at home next week. I hate not being treated like a human being ffs.
Went in on Monday (9th) to talk about our planned start day (23rd)

That's ten work days in between. We were told to go home at lunch on the 9th and then work three full days at work during that ten day period (I suppose 9 day period, seeing as the Monday was occuring presently haha).

So I'm here today and I'm here next week on WED/THUR. It's
"working from home," although honestly I ain't doing shit.
레새 뭐 페르, 커나르드. 에스티 타베르낰 트루 드 볘르즈.

« Reply #7522 on: March 12, 2020, 09:53:22 am »

If you are in Chungnam, all native teachers can 'work from home' without using paid vacation or any reduction in salary.  Other provinces have different policies.  Chungnam has been known to be pretty cool about these things. 

If the pollution stays away for this week and next, it's gonna be lovely.  Today, was another day of lovely spring type walks.

« Reply #7523 on: March 12, 2020, 09:54:51 am »
Went in on Monday (9th) to talk about our planned start day (23rd)

That's ten work days in between. We were told to go home at lunch on the 9th and then work three full days at work during that ten day period (I suppose 9 day period, seeing as the Monday was occuring presently haha).

So I'm here today and I'm here next week on WED/THUR. It's
"working from home," although honestly I ain't doing shit.

That seems sensible. It looks like I'll just be at work alone. I don't have to be in Korea and it's times like these that make me want to just dip.

« Reply #7524 on: March 12, 2020, 09:55:52 am »
If you are in Chungnam, all native teachers can 'work from home' without using paid vacation or any reduction in salary.  Other provinces have different policies.  Chungnam has been known to be pretty cool about these things. 

If the pollution stays away for this week and next, it's gonna be lovely.  Today, was another day of lovely spring type walks.
I'm in Gyeongnam but schools seem to be doing whatever they want, some of my friends are at home and some are deskwarming.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7525 on: March 12, 2020, 09:56:10 am »
Today, was another day of lovely spring type walks.

Yeah, some of my friends are literally not leaving the house ever, and it's like, WHY?

You get delivery food? You could get still get it!

And you're certainly not going to get it wandering around outside and giving everyone a 5m berth, like you're doing Ronnie.

There's being cautious and then there's being absolutely crippled by this.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7526 on: March 12, 2020, 10:06:32 am »
It looks like I'll just be at work alone.

Same here. And I got a message I should be working hard to make materials for next semester and should show these to the head teacher for inspection (for acceptability?) when he comes back. The pressure's on to make high quality lesson plans that'll engage students.

« Reply #7527 on: March 12, 2020, 10:09:40 am »
Yeah, some of my friends are literally not leaving the house ever, and it's like, WHY?

You get delivery food? You could get still get it!

And you're certainly not going to get it wandering around outside and giving everyone a 5m berth, like you're doing Ronnie.

There's being cautious and then there's being absolutely crippled by this.

Right.  I did a load of shopping at LotteMart on Monday to do me for the week and I wore a mask there.  I went out with my old co-teacher friend on Tuesday to an empty restaurant, and then had coffee after and there were a fair few people in the coffee shop, my old co-t complained about how boring it is at the moment, but understandable.  Also, the 'mountain' where I walk is a four-minute walk behind my apartment, so I don't pass anyone going there and I may pass ten or so people while walking.  Yesterday morning while out, I walked past one of my school's senior teachers and we had a chat, and then in the evening I met a different teacher and our conversation consisted of 'this is nice, innit?'.  There's no confirmed cases in my city, so everyone seems cool.  I have a Korean friend who is scared witless and won't leave the house.  I don't understand that. 

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #7528 on: March 12, 2020, 10:38:07 am »
I went into school March 3rd and was told the principal okayed me not coming back until the twentieth.  No vacation or sick days would be used and there was no mention of working from home.  I was asked to not travel outside the country and was told I'd be called a couple of times a week to check I'm OK.  Still waiting on that first call.  Unfortunately my gym is shut down for unrelated reasons so I'm debating trying to get a short term membership somewhere else. 

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7529 on: March 12, 2020, 10:54:25 am »
Leave early each day, but I'm desk warming. It's ok. Gives me something to write in the 'reasons for non-renewal' section.
75% of foreigners regularly hang out in Itaewon. Only about 0.001% of Koreans do.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7530 on: March 12, 2020, 11:50:27 am »
This is weird. Many Koreans don't work their first job until later in life.

At the age of 35, Lee, who majored in computer science at university and is studying to take the public-service exam in hopes of becoming a police officer, has yet to begin his first full-time job.

In South Korea, many white-collar roles in industries such as civil service, design, journalism – and even much-sought-after entry-level positions at the nation’s chaebol such as Samsung, LG and Hyundai – all require passing extensive examinations, earning certificates and other qualifications.

Throughout her life, 29-year-old Minji Kim (not her real name) said she had taken more than 50 such “life-defining” exams, including Suneung as well as tests for middle-school entry, special licences, and journalism jobs.

“I started taking these kinds of tests since elementary school,” Kim said. “For some exams, I knew they were potentially life-changing, and so I couldn’t go out on weekends because I needed to spend all my time studying.

“In August 2015, I took my first-ever exam for a journalism job,” she said. “You submit your application and then write an essay and sit for a test so they can assess your knowledge on subjects such as sociology, economics, politics, and even hanja [Chinese characters]. I wrote the two essays within two hours and [then] there was even a ‘drinking test’ – where you have a drink together with the hirer, and they check your behaviour.”

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/society/article/2173414/schools-never-out-why-south-koreans-are-trapped-lifetime-study

Two-thirds of South Koreans aged between 25 and 34 have college degrees, the highest proportion among the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development countries. Much like Lee, many of that demographic opt to put their social lives, dating, marriage and other rites of adulthood on hold until they are able to get their first job. Unfortunately, this can take up to a decade.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7531 on: March 12, 2020, 11:57:08 am »
This is weird. Many Koreans don't work their first job until later in life.
Isn't it possible that

A) Hiring someone competent when they are younger could BECOME very competent very quickly? A 35 year old who has never had a job............... Why would you want that?

B) Isn't it possible that by not working at a chaebol at a young age (but rather a SME)............... you could.............. .. make more money, gain more skills for your resume and then be more desirable as a 35 year old employee to OTHER companies?

Who the **** thinks they start at the top? Cuz you studied? You don't know shit.

Anyone seen 사도? (The Throne)

Perfect example of forcing a kid to study and a parent who doesn't get it. Makes the kid resent the dad. (This is not to defend Sado's actions haha)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:06:53 pm by CO2 »

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #7532 on: March 12, 2020, 12:39:38 pm »
Minji Kim (not her real name)

that really would've narrowed it down if it was her real name...

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7533 on: March 12, 2020, 12:47:07 pm »
that really would've narrowed it down if it was her real name...

Speaking of rambling, I can't believe that name tags for retail employees have their full names here. I do agree with what you said, Minji Kim is a dime a dozen, but still. You get some creepo come into Olive Young, and OH what a smorgasbord of young, attractive women in their 20s.

At least with 박*연 or  just X윤현, it doesn't give creeps COMPLETE licence to stalk them online. If they work in my hometown and I have their full name, it's not THAT difficult to figure it out.

The whole point of having Samantha on the name tags at our theatre in Toronto is that it's very, very difficult to find a Samantha. Not Samantha S (North Collegiate). Not S. Stevenson (Parkdale)

Just a generic first name.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7534 on: March 12, 2020, 02:10:31 pm »
Speaking of rambling, I can't believe that name tags for retail employees have their full names here. I do agree with what you said, Minji Kim is a dime a dozen, but still. You get some creepo come into Olive Young, and OH what a smorgasbord of young, attractive women in their 20s.

At least with 박*연 or  just X윤현, it doesn't give creeps COMPLETE licence to stalk them online. If they work in my hometown and I have their full name, it's not THAT difficult to figure it out.

The whole point of having Samantha on the name tags at our theatre in Toronto is that it's very, very difficult to find a Samantha. Not Samantha S (North Collegiate). Not S. Stevenson (Parkdale)

Just a generic first name.

As I’ve pointed out before, having one redacted character on the board at the hospital doesn’t protect the privacy of Murphy Susan Patrici* very much.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7535 on: March 12, 2020, 02:41:04 pm »
As I’ve pointed out before, having one redacted character on the board at the hospital doesn’t protect the privacy of Murphy Susan Patrici* very much.
What? One Korean character is a third of their name. It leaves some actual guesswork.
Leaving out an entire family name in English makes it a lot more difficult.

I don't remember what you're talking about, where was this you saw that?

« Reply #7536 on: March 12, 2020, 02:45:19 pm »
"A certain agitator, for privacy sake, lets call her 'Lisa S'...No that's too obvious...uuh. Let's say 'L. Simpson'."

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7537 on: March 12, 2020, 04:03:56 pm »
"A certain agitator, for privacy sake, lets call her 'Lisa S'...No that's too obvious...uuh. Let's say 'L. Simpson'."
Haha yeah. Reminds me of this from Alan partridge on his radio show:

"Now listeners, I have someone on the line who fears he may be a gay. He’s married, so he wishes to remain anonymous. I shall only be using his Christian name. I’m talking to Domingo in Little Oakley. Oh... He's gone"

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7538 on: March 12, 2020, 04:09:32 pm »
What? One Korean character is a third of their name. It leaves some actual guesswork.
Leaving out an entire family name in English makes it a lot more difficult.

I don't remember what you're talking about, where was this you saw that?

At St. Mary’s hospital.
They redact(ed (it was a while ago)) the family name for Koreans, but the software was set up to just redact the last character of the name. So for a typical English-speaker’s name it only obscured the last character of the “middle” name, which most don’t use anyway!

« Reply #7539 on: March 13, 2020, 01:07:17 pm »
I'm having difficulty shifting this image that has been burned on my brain from my after-breakfast walk this morning.  There is a steep path going up into the 'mountain' near my apartment.  It's about the width of a car.  As I approached a corner, I could see a hiker's bag on the floor, and I got further around the corner, there was an adjoomma with her flowery trousers around her ankles taking a shit on the path.  I pulled my cap down as I approached because I'd already seen enough and just so she thought that maybe I didn't see her.   As I walked past her, she finished up, pulled her trousers up and then was walking behind me to pick up her bag.  But the damage was done. 

I get it, nature calls, fine.  But in a mountain forest, there are literally hundreds of acres for taking a dump.  Not on the hiking path.  Shit in the forest like the bears.  :P

Image permanently burned.   :sad: