Read 1235404 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7480 on: March 09, 2020, 07:39:05 am »
yeah i just took it as "guy forgot to turn off his car"

Yep, that's why I said I liked him already.  That is why I only asked him when I came back from Daiso.  I know some Koreans can remotely start their car when it's freezing, but it was warm on that day, so there was no reason for it to be on.

The point from Aristocrat was something I see it quite often, especially in my apartment underground parking.  I go to my gym through the car park and people are idling their diesel cars, which was spewing out soot basically.  Even if they're nipping up to their apartments, it's still a shitty thing to do.  Also in the morning, I drive past the remotely started ones.  We're in a basement car park, it is warm, there is no need to start your car like that as your fumes/soot are just collecting down there.   

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #7481 on: March 09, 2020, 07:57:56 am »
Summer break's been shortened to two weeks, and English camp hasn't been cancelled, because of course not.

« Reply #7482 on: March 09, 2020, 08:07:36 am »
Summer break's been shortened to two weeks, and English camp hasn't been cancelled, because of course not.

Just what I want to hear as I begin another day of 9 to 5 desk warming. Thank you.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #7483 on: March 09, 2020, 08:19:26 am »

Keep in mind, if there isn't enough room for vacation + camp, your vacations come first, as you are contractually obligated to have your time off, and they don't pay out vacation days.
So schools will either, have to let you take vacation time out of the vacation period, or shorten camps to let you have your full vacation. (This is more for people who have longer camps and may not end up with time for both).

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #7484 on: March 09, 2020, 08:34:33 am »
Keep in mind, if there isn't enough room for vacation + camp, your vacations come first, as you are contractually obligated to have your time off, and they don't pay out vacation days.
So schools will either, have to let you take vacation time out of the vacation period, or shorten camps to let you have your full vacation. (This is more for people who have longer camps and may not end up with time for both).

The contract doesn't specify how many days I can take per break, only how many I get per year. If there isn't time to take the number of days I'd normally take in Summer, I have the option of moving the difference to my winter break, or apparently I can take them now.

Since this will only leave me with enough days off to use five vacation days this summer, I'll have 21 left for the rest of the year. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have an extra long winter break, but I also wouldn't mind lazing around at home a bit instead of deskwarming for the entirety of the next two weeks, haha.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #7485 on: March 09, 2020, 08:44:44 am »
The contract doesn't specify how many days I can take per break, only how many I get per year. If there isn't time to take the number of days I'd normally take in Summer, I have the option of moving the difference to my winter break, or apparently I can take them now.

Since this will only leave me with enough days off to use five vacation days this summer, I'll have 21 left for the rest of the year. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have an extra long winter break, but I also wouldn't mind lazing around at home a bit instead of deskwarming for the entirety of the next two weeks, haha.

Mine is the same, however, I started in August, so my school will have to let me use the rest of mine in summer. I currently have 12 left, as I used 18 over winter, and 1 on a school descretion day haha.
I plan to use 2 on descretion days at the end of April (if my school uses them then for the fri / mon to make a 5 day weekend. and that'll give me 10 for summer.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #7486 on: March 09, 2020, 08:58:59 am »
Sounds like your POE was cool and still gave you the 5 renewal days. Mine didn't, so I don't have quite that many vacation days to move around.

I'm not bitter...

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #7487 on: March 09, 2020, 09:04:47 am »
If all Summer vacations are shortened to two weeks I'd expect camps to be cancelled as a good faith gesture to NETs.  If they don't do that then that's pretty messed up in my opinion.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #7488 on: March 09, 2020, 09:05:36 am »
Sounds like your POE was cool and still gave you the 5 renewal days. Mine didn't, so I don't have quite that many vacation days to move around.

I'm not bitter...

Yeah they were, they said it was a contract thing and that they will honor it, and that's all was said about it.
Sorry to hear that. :( Down to 26 after August though. D:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #7489 on: March 09, 2020, 09:06:54 am »
If all Summer vacations are shortened to two weeks I'd expect camps to be cancelled as a good faith gesture to NETs.  If they don't do that then that's pretty messed up in my opinion.

I haven't heard what my region is doing for the delay yet but, from the coordinator of my area, NET vacation time will be the priority over the summer vacation period.

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #7490 on: March 09, 2020, 09:11:36 am »
Yeah haven't heard anything from my POE which is really frustrating.

I feel like people are going to get quite shirty about this because we might be in a situation where we we have to teach a camp with no summer vacation all the while remembering that in March our coworkers not only got to stay at home for free, but will also enjoy a lovely summer holiday as well.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #7491 on: March 09, 2020, 09:15:21 am »

It's possible my CoT is mistaken, but my school at least still intends to have camps. Considering my POE screwed us out of the renewal days, I can't say I'd be too terribly surprised if he's right. It'd be perfectly in keeping.

It might be different for people whose contracts start in the middle of the school year who won't be able to just shift days to their winter breaks, but I won't have the luxury of saying I can't do camp for lack of available days.

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #7492 on: March 09, 2020, 09:23:07 am »
It's possible my CoT is mistaken, but my school at least still intends to have camps. Considering my POE screwed us out of the renewal days, I can't say I'd be too terribly surprised if he's right. It'd be perfectly in keeping.

It might be different for people whose contracts start in the middle of the school year who won't be able to just shift days to their winter breaks, but I won't have the luxury of saying I can't do camp for lack of available days.

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me at all.  I also wouldn't be surprised if we hear a lot of "well you had the chance to use your vacation in March but you didn't want to".  Shrug.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #7493 on: March 09, 2020, 09:26:47 am »

I feel like people are going to get quite shirty about this because we might be in a situation where we we have to teach a camp with no summer vacation all the while remembering that in March our coworkers not only got to stay at home for free, but will also enjoy a lovely summer holiday as well.

I've been able to stay home for free myself. Today is my first day in the office since before I left for my vacation in January.
Actually, the morning after I got back to Korea, my co-t called me to tell me to not come in until the students are back in school.
I had to come today, cause they are having meetings to discuss from tomorrow until the 23rd and about this semesters schedule.
If it gets to your vacation vs camp. Remember, schools are contractually obligated to let you use your vacation. If they won't give it to you during the vacation period, in the new contracts, you are allowed to use it during the school year now. So, you can try negotiate when to use it with your school, but kindly remind them, that the vacation period would cause the least amount of problems haha.

« Reply #7494 on: March 09, 2020, 09:31:58 am »

I would have thought that the POE can't decide anything ahead of the 23rd of this month as the MOE is in charge of what is going to happen and they can't make a decision yet because the virus is still spreading.  It's possible that they may extend it further than the 23rd, but we'll probably find out that this week.  If it extends longer, then the semester will be shortened by 10%, which would mean the summer vacation won't be completely lost.  But as it is now, the summer vacation would be affected.  No?

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #7495 on: March 09, 2020, 09:39:35 am »
I've not had any info from our POE, but a teacher at my school told me that our school's summer vacay has been shortened from 5 weeks to 3 weeks (winter is also being cut by 2 weeks I think).
I never finish anyth

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7496 on: March 09, 2020, 09:58:51 am »
Fresh off the rumor mill, school may get pushed to April 9th opening.  Again just a rumor but be prepared....

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7497 on: March 09, 2020, 10:11:32 am »
Fresh off the rumor mill, school may get pushed to April 9th opening.  Again just a rumor but be prepared....
pls kill me

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #7498 on: March 09, 2020, 10:15:41 am »

That's a Thursday. Wouldn't it make more sense to start on a Monday? I say it doesn't sound realistic. Another delay is possible but not like this.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #7499 on: March 09, 2020, 10:16:55 am »
pls kill me

Just plan & implement online classes to make extra money! Easy as!

Oh, don't forget to eat healthy food, so you won't catch the virus!

Also, Korea has air pollution!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:41:04 am by Mister Tim »