Read 1235414 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7440 on: March 03, 2020, 11:48:09 am »
Ronnie Omelettes, we need a new episode of 'British Guy in Korea'!

Not going to happen.  Oglop's a good lad  :-* (keep going boy) and there is no way I'm going there with that.  It's hard to think of anything that isn't completely fukced by this.  One of my best friend's mum runs a Korean buffet restaurant that relies on her getting 300+ customers a day.  Completely knackered for the foreseeable future.  Another friend works for a tour agency, totally knackered.  That's before hagwons and private tutoring comes into it, and even then that is a small percentage of the things that are totally knacked by this.  Most of these businesses are built on small margins and this will totally break those things.  Even the duty-free shops at Incheon airport want a rent reduction, but the airport told them no chance.   I may have to come to school every day, and even though it's kind of boring because I miss teaching my students and having a lot to do, I'm still getting paid.  I really feel for those who are getting crapped on, not easy at all, and at the moment no end in sight.   

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7441 on: March 03, 2020, 11:56:38 am »
yeah i look around at shops as i walk by, all empty. even on saturday nights- no customers. i just hope they make some money with takeaway orders.

i really hope school will start in 3 weeks. completely happy to work through the entire year to catch up on time/money lost...

« Reply #7442 on: March 03, 2020, 12:11:10 pm »
yeah i look around at shops as i walk by, all empty. even on saturday nights- no customers. i just hope they make some money with takeaway orders.

i really hope school will start in 3 weeks. completely happy to work through the entire year to catch up on time/money lost...

And you're in Seoul where the rents are going to be sky-high.  People don't come in, then they can't pay their bills, craparino.

With you all the way Oglop, that I hope this doesn't stretch beyond the end of this month. 

As a famous philosopher once said: 'If an animal is named after what it eats, how interesting is it?'

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7443 on: March 03, 2020, 01:11:43 pm »
i blame the chinese for all of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LKW-0VvjH0

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #7444 on: March 04, 2020, 01:02:05 am »
They said on the news that even if the warm spring weather would alleviate the situation a bit, come next season the virus would hit back twice as hard.
incumbo studiis

« Reply #7445 on: March 04, 2020, 08:06:04 am »
I've had my HP laptop for about eight years and it's slow starting up, gets confused by some things, and has a noisy fan, but I've kind of got used to its foibles and it's okay.  For years, I've hated the idea of e-waste, I've had my iPad 2 for years even though things (skype) are outdated.  I have no interest in keeping up with the latest technology hence my 2G phone, but I can't help but think I should change my computer.  5 minutes booting up is quite long.   :undecided:

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #7446 on: March 04, 2020, 08:43:09 am »
I've had my HP laptop for about eight years and it's slow starting up, gets confused by some things, and has a noisy fan, but I've kind of got used to its foibles and it's okay.  For years, I've hated the idea of e-waste, I've had my iPad 2 for years even though things (skype) are outdated.  I have no interest in keeping up with the latest technology hence my 2G phone, but I can't help but think I should change my computer.  5 minutes booting up is quite long.   :undecided:

Yeah I should have been like you - I've got a collection of old phones and PCs that I need to dispose of but not sure how. Sure there's some office somewhere that I need to go buy some stickers from! Use any tools to keep your PC in shape? Can highly recommend a free program called CCleaner if you want to try squeeze a bit more performance out of it - it's helped me with some old Joseon era laptops that schools have given me in the past  ;D
I never finish anyth

« Reply #7447 on: March 04, 2020, 09:04:14 am »
Yeah I should have been like you - I've got a collection of old phones and PCs that I need to dispose of but not sure how. Sure there's some office somewhere that I need to go buy some stickers from! Use any tools to keep your PC in shape? Can highly recommend a free program called CCleaner if you want to try squeeze a bit more performance out of it - it's helped me with some old Joseon era laptops that schools have given me in the past  ;D

:laugh:  With a name like Datasapien, I imagine you're hooked up with the latest tech.  Like Data from The Goonies. 

I use CCleaner every day as it helps clears cookies and the like, so I can read online newspapers that allow you a few articles before you need a subscription.  It's just old.  When I went home I used my mum's computer and it starts up in a second, and there is no fan noise.  It's just you get used to things, I suppose.  7 years is a long time in computers.   :undecided:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7448 on: March 04, 2020, 09:29:47 am »
i have a macbook pro which i bought 7 years ago- and it's exactly as good as when it was new. i can't believe it. never had a single issue with it either, and i use it every day. will certainly buy another macbook pro when this one finally dies, whenever that may be

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7449 on: March 04, 2020, 09:36:22 am »
Yes. Apple's a good company. Highly recommended.

« Reply #7450 on: March 04, 2020, 09:38:00 am »
i have a macbook pro which i bought 7 years ago- and it's exactly as good as when it was new. i can't believe it. never had a single issue with it either, and i use it every day. will certainly buy another macbook pro when this one finally dies, whenever that may be

How much would that have been?  I'd guess still a little pricey 7 years ago.  I always look for something around 500 000/600 000 won as I don't do gaming, so it's just for work, watching films on (slightly bigger screen needed) and daily stuff.  I can't warrant spending more than that on spec that I don't need, and like I said I'm not really bothered about the latest stuff.  I thoroughly research models before buying though, and I like HPs as my last three have been HPs. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7451 on: March 04, 2020, 09:47:21 am »
yeah i paid about 2m for it back then, they seem to have gone up in price now due to that BS non-optional touch bar. actually, looking at the new ones, they also seem to have removed all the useful things i use, like the mag-safe charger port, HDMI port, USB 2.0 port. wtf. maybe i won't buy a new one after all. what the hell are apple doing...

i guess it depends what you use it for. but 8 years for a 600k laptop is outstanding

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #7452 on: March 04, 2020, 09:48:14 am »
Yeah my laptop is over six years old now and I'm thinking of treating myself to an upgrade.  I've been looking at the LG Gram or Dell XPS.  My current one is Dell and has never caused any problems so I might stick with them.  Haven't considered HP so that's worth a look.

I think I would love a Macbook though haha.  But I always feel like switching from Windows would feel really stressful lol.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7453 on: March 04, 2020, 09:54:08 am »
yes the dell XPS has been on my radar too. i really like the mac OS though. totally not stressful to change over. have a play on one in the apple store or something. but yeah, i'm really not up for buying 100 different dongles, as the new ones only have a couple of usb ports (and nothing else..). ffs apple

« Reply #7454 on: March 04, 2020, 10:03:42 am »
yes the dell XPS has been on my radar too. i really like the mac OS though. totally not stressful to change over. have a play on one in the apple store or something. but yeah, i'm really not up for buying 100 different dongles, as the new ones only have a couple of usb ports (and nothing else..). ffs apple

Is that so you'll use their cloud or some such other?  Even my mum (82) has a cloud, which she complains about the whole time.  I've never used a cloud so when she asks me what she should do, I have no idea.  Even removing the HMDI from the new apple stuff, would that suggest they want you to use ways of connecting to smart tvs, right?  It's just exactly that which annoys me.  I can't imagine how it must be for others that they are expected to buy/change their hardware to suit the tech companies pushing their new stuff and outdating their older stuff.  It's definitely a majority that's being zoned out.

I'm 94 years old. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7455 on: March 04, 2020, 10:19:29 am »
well apple seemed to used to remove tech that was becoming outdated and redundant - floppy disks or CD drives, for example. that seemed to work. but now they seem to remove tech that is still used by most people - usb ports, hdmi, earphone jack...

so yeah, trying to force you into using/buying extra dongles or earphones, etc. which are, of course, insanely expensive. ugh. hate it

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7456 on: March 04, 2020, 11:06:37 am »
+1 for MacBooks being the best out there.

Also +1 ‘**** Apple’ for removing essential things on the newer models.

I’ll be getting a new one regardless when I get back to the UK.
75% of foreigners regularly hang out in Itaewon. Only about 0.001% of Koreans do.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7457 on: March 04, 2020, 11:18:43 am »
+1 for MacBooks being the best out there.

Also +1 ‘**** Apple’ for removing essential things on the newer models.

I’ll be getting a new one regardless when I get back to the UK.
they're cheaper in korea btw

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7458 on: March 04, 2020, 01:08:16 pm »
Not worried about a few extra quid, just would prefer to buy at home.
75% of foreigners regularly hang out in Itaewon. Only about 0.001% of Koreans do.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7459 on: March 04, 2020, 01:55:27 pm »
they're cheaper in korea btw

Apple tries to keep global prices the same, but short term forex swings can result in good deals if you catch them.

Be careful though... Korean prices include VAT, but some places (Canada, for example) do not!