Read 1235562 times

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7380 on: February 25, 2020, 09:24:58 pm »
Kindle peaked in sales in 2011.

It and ipod and torrents make up a period of time i hop skipped and jumped over. (Pointless indeed.)

And i ain't exactly most tuned in: a korean guy scoffed before selling me a new case for the Samsung S6 smartphone I bought for 90,000 won from my co-worker's sister in 2017 (and it still goes awesome).

I came to Korea in 2002 and laughed at the ipod crowd because it made no sense to give up my quality CD collection for A TINGY DOWNLOAD? F that. I said i would upgrade tech when either great SOUND quality improved digitally or else LIVE now radio streaming! .... from 2004-2009 hereabouts i was out of the tech loop consciously. It sucked. But nowadays you can get quality live steaming and an external quality speaker for a relatively low price.

So, you have nothing to add?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #7381 on: February 25, 2020, 09:32:16 pm »
Kindle peaked in sales in 2011.

It and ipod and torrents make up a period of time i hop skipped and jumped over. (Pointless indeed.)

And i ain't exactly most tuned in: a korean guy scoffed before selling me a new case for the Samsung S6 smartphone I bought for 90,000 won from my co-worker's sister in 2017 (and it still goes awesome).

I came to Korea in 2002 and laughed at the ipod crowd because it made no sense to give up my quality CD collection for A TINGY DOWNLOAD? F that. I said i would upgrade tech when either great SOUND quality improved digitally or else LIVE now radio streaming! .... from 2004-2009 hereabouts i was out of the tech loop consciously. It sucked. But nowadays you can get quality live steaming and an external quality speaker for a relatively low price.

Needless to say, I had the last laugh.

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #7382 on: February 26, 2020, 09:15:34 am »
Ordered my Kindle to a friends US address and she brought it when she returned.

Thanks JNM.  Yeah I think I'll end up doing something like that.  Hope the new job is going well and good to see you still posting here!

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #7383 on: February 26, 2020, 09:29:05 am »
I just use the Kindle app on my ipad.  I ask this in a non-rhetorical fashion, what's the main difference?  Is it with the blue light or something to do with eye strain? 

« Reply #7384 on: February 26, 2020, 09:30:59 am »
I really want the kindle paperwhite because of its matte, anti-glare surface. I couldn't justify paying that much for a kindle JUST for that feature, though, so I got the fire instead.

Next time I visit the States, though, I'll be switching over. Turns out that I underrated this feature.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:32:52 am by Chinguetti »

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #7385 on: February 26, 2020, 09:34:40 am »
I'm mainly interested in the Kindle because it will force me to read books in bed instead of browsing the internet haha  :laugh:

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #7386 on: February 26, 2020, 10:00:29 am »
I'm mainly interested in the Kindle because it will force me to read books in bed instead of browsing the internet haha  :laugh:

One hand on the Kindle, the other on the keyboard of your laptop...

« Reply #7387 on: February 26, 2020, 10:50:25 am »
So I'm watching a few episodes from that old cartoon, The Real Ghostbusters (yes, I like to watch old kids' cartoons, **** off), and there's an episode where a guy is using a flute to destroy the world because his girlfriend broke up with him. And then he suddenly changes his mind when his girlfriend shows up again to tell him she's sorry for making him feel bad, and everyone just forgives him and goes on with their lives as if he never just tried to destroy the world, lmao.

These old cartoons are crazy.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:56:22 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #7388 on: February 26, 2020, 11:56:17 am »
So I'm watching a few episodes from that old cartoon, The Real Ghostbusters (yes, I like to watch old kids' cartoons, **** off), and there's an episode where a guy is using a flute to destroy the world because his girlfriend broke up with him. And then he suddenly changes his mind when his girlfriend shows up again to tell him she's sorry for making him feel bad, and everyone just forgives him and goes on with their lives as if he never just tried to destroy the world, lmao.

These old cartoons are crazy.

The Real Ghostbusters is definitely one of the highest quality 80's cartoons, though. I unironically own the DVD box set of the complete series. And yeah, the fact that everything is always just like, "Aight, we cool then I guess" at the end is great.

« Reply #7389 on: February 26, 2020, 11:59:37 am »
The Real Ghostbusters is definitely one of the highest quality 80's cartoons, though. I unironically own the DVD box set of the complete series. And yeah, the fact that everything is always just like, "Aight, we cool then I guess" at the end is great.

I also love how a lot of their more "unique" cases can be solved by crossing the beams, even when you're never supposed to cross the beams, or by reversing the polarity on their proton packs.

Ghost: Your beams are ineffective on me because of reasons!
Them: Wait a minute, if we just reverse the polarity on our proton packs...
Ghost: NOOOOO! This is impossible! *gets trapped*
Them: GG, guys!

It's gotten to a point where it should really be one of their first troubleshooting steps, but it always seems to hit them like an out-of-this-world epiphany.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:01:58 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #7390 on: February 26, 2020, 12:16:44 pm »
Like I'm making fun, but out of true love and respect for this series (at least for the first two seasons, really loses the qualities that make it good starting in season 3).

There's a making of the Ghostbusters movies documentary that says that the Ghostbusters were originally supposed to be janitors living in space, lol. Which I'll admit that I'd still love to see happen, but I'm happy that they ended up choosing to make the Ghostbusters what it is today.

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #7391 on: February 26, 2020, 12:55:04 pm »
Real Ghosbusters was absolutely brilliant.  Favourite episode - "A Fright at the Opera" from Season 2  8)

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #7392 on: February 26, 2020, 01:10:15 pm »
Man, there are some insufferable people on this site. I mean, I realize I'm no Mr. Congeniality, but good lord. I can't imagine going though life with the mindsets of some of the people I've seen here.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #7393 on: February 26, 2020, 01:24:36 pm »
Man, there are some insufferable people on this site. I mean, I realize I'm no Mr. Congeniality, but good lord. I can't imagine going though life with the mindsets of some of the people I've seen here.

Agreed.
레새 뭐 페르, 커나르드. 에스티 타베르낰 트루 드 볘르즈.

« Reply #7394 on: February 26, 2020, 01:45:31 pm »
I've been keeping myself busy by cleaning all the homeroom classes in my school and I'm just about finished cleaning them all as I get to 3.6 class, but I made a terrible discovery today.  I'm wringing out clothes and mops and getting water from the bathrooms and we have green 'Pumping' bottles next to all the sinks.  So when I was cleaning the first-grade classrooms I was adding this to the warm water for cleaning the desks and lockers.  Now, I realised looking at the bottle that it's toothpaste.  Fukcing idiot.   :sad:

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #7395 on: February 26, 2020, 02:00:56 pm »

« Reply #7396 on: February 27, 2020, 09:47:22 am »
Real Ghosbusters was absolutely brilliant.  Favourite episode - "A Fright at the Opera" from Season 2  8)

Just watched "The Long, Long, Long, etc. Goodbye." Current favorite.

« Reply #7397 on: February 27, 2020, 11:11:20 am »
I just showed my kids one of the book's videos about time and Cinderella. And now it's just really bothering me! How did Cinderella just "accidentally" lose her slipper? The whole point was that the shoe was a perfect fit right? Well if it was a perfect fit then it wouldn't have slipped off as she was running away! Only a loose shoe would fall off as you were running! It's just really bothering me and I'm wondering why I never questioned this logic before.....

tl;dr Cinderella was actually quite cunning
She probably had sweaty feet. Also, sweaty maid feet plus glass probably equaled some really stanky feet.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #7398 on: February 27, 2020, 12:13:49 pm »
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
레새 뭐 페르, 커나르드. 에스티 타베르낰 트루 드 볘르즈.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #7399 on: February 27, 2020, 01:00:37 pm »
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

almost...