Read 1188459 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7360 on: February 21, 2020, 11:18:34 am »
The free semester thing is so badly implemented.  Nice idea, and trying to copy other countries that don't make study students study until they die, is just not going to work in its current format.  For teachers like us, it has its good and bad points.  Good because in middle school you can teach better classes that students will find interesting and will be motivated to participate.  But bad because a majority of students know that as there is no test from your class, so there is no point in studying.  So then you just have to make a class that is more interesting than their lack of concern.   Which can get a bit wearing a few months down the line.  Then the problem is when the students graduate and then they start having the constant tests again, they get more stress.  Weird.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with you. My coT just made it so much harder because I'm over here trying to get the kids to care about the assignments, which is hard enough on its own and next to impossible when we can't dedicate the amount of time needed for the more interesting ones because the kids are being forced to go over textbook materials that they aren't even being tested on.

SOOOOOOOO pointless. You want to stimulate their minds and encourage learning? Well forcing a shitty curriculum --  that was tailored for standardized testing and NOT made for an alternative style of teaching -- down their throats isn't the way to do it.

It's definitely more work, especially because it wasn't tailored for the Korean educational system, but even with the cons I'm honestly curious to see how implementing this program from the start of the school year, and without my usual KT interference (thanks to which I actually have plenty of unused material and plans to fall back on this year), will impact. Plus, a lot of my plans are actually going to be really, really fun, not just for the kids, but for me, too.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:04:23 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #7362 on: February 21, 2020, 12:03:50 pm »
To be expected........... .................

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/trump-parasite-oscars-best-picture-south-korea-1203509938/#article-comments

Some very good comments on this one...

Neon, the distributor of “Parasite,” took Trump’s jabs in stride, tweeting that it was “understandable” that Trump couldn’t comprehend the subtitled film. “He can’t read,” it said, including the hashtag #Bong2020.

mentioning Gone with the Wind at his seal show rally...

Gone with the Wind…isn’t that the movie about Trump’s hairpiece?

I too love Gone With the Wind as it depicts a bunch of white racist fleeing in terror as everything they ever believed in is dismantled and their city burns to the ground before their eyes.

It’s no accident that he singled out for praise Gone with the Wind, a film which glorifies the Confederacy and which perpetuates racial stereotypes. He can’t miss a single opportunity to be a racist.

;D

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #7363 on: February 21, 2020, 12:22:34 pm »
Gone with the wind actually broke new race relations ground by the academy awarding an Oscar to the first black actor, Hattie McDaniel. The hotel putting on the ceremony normally had a whites only policy but relaxed the rule to let her in.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:32:31 pm by stoat »

« Reply #7364 on: February 21, 2020, 01:30:35 pm »
Gone with the wind actually broke new race relations ground by the academy awarding an Oscar to the first black actor, Hattie McDaniel. The hotel putting on the ceremony normally had a whites only policy but relaxed the rule to let her in.

Mooney on Movies
http://www.cc.com/video-playlists/kw3fj0/the-opposition-with-jordan-klepper-welcome-to-the-opposition-w--jordan-klepper/8erio6

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #7365 on: February 21, 2020, 04:46:07 pm »
So, Marty are you still pro-Trump after him showing his anti-Korean colours? ;D
incumbo studiis

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #7366 on: February 21, 2020, 04:53:40 pm »
Mooney on Movies
http://www.cc.com/video-playlists/kw3fj0/the-opposition-with-jordan-klepper-welcome-to-the-opposition-w--jordan-klepper/8erio6

I gather he's one of these guys who uses his 'black people can't be racist' card to say a lot of racist stuff.

« Reply #7367 on: February 21, 2020, 11:57:51 pm »
So, Marty are you still pro-Trump after him showing his anti-Korean colours? ;D
Donald Trump says a lot of things. No biggie.

« Reply #7368 on: February 24, 2020, 12:35:24 pm »
Donald Trump says a lot of things. No biggie.

If you think this kind of nonsense is 'no biggie', there is something wrong with you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kFF2dZ26J0

« Reply #7369 on: February 24, 2020, 12:38:23 pm »
Now Lotteria have introduced a vegan burger called the Miracle Burger, so today I decided to give it a try, and it just about gets a pass.  I'm not so keen on smoky sauces, but all in all not too bad.   :undecided:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7370 on: February 25, 2020, 10:21:59 am »
aw man. i've been teaching an adult class for over two years, and this week was my last week teaching them due to my schedule changes next semester. however this week's class has been canceled due to the coronavirus, so i never even got to say goodbye :(

« Reply #7371 on: February 25, 2020, 10:34:01 am »
Now Lotteria have introduced a vegan burger called the Miracle Burger, so today I decided to give it a try, and it just about gets a pass.  I'm not so keen on smoky sauces, but all in all not too bad.   :undecided:

I read an article a short while back where people confessed to "industry secrets." One person said that a well-known franchise's vegan burger was actually made with beef broth or something like that, lmao. No idea if it's true, but I found it highly believable, and I'm kind of wondering how likely that would be in Korea given the many wtf stories I've heard from expats who've attended something advertised as vegetarian or vegan only to find that everything had meat in it, and that the seaweed and kimchi they also served with those dishes was what made the meals "vegetarian and vegan friendly," lmao.

aw man. i've been teaching an adult class for over two years, and this week was my last week teaching them due to my schedule changes next semester. however this week's class has been canceled due to the coronavirus, so i never even got to say goodbye :(

I'm sorry to hear that. I've lost opportunities to say goodbye to students I've enjoyed as well, thanks to one thing or another.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:34:17 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #7372 on: February 25, 2020, 11:05:26 am »
Anyone else's phone battery draining a lot faster because of the incessant emergency pings?

I think this might be a sign that I need a newer phone with a more efficient battery, lol.

« Reply #7373 on: February 25, 2020, 01:00:14 pm »
Anyone else's phone battery draining a lot faster because of the incessant emergency pings?

I think this might be a sign that I need a newer phone with a more efficient battery, lol.

I've actually noticed that too with mine haha.  Wouldn't mind upgrading really.

On the subject of tech, has anyone gotten a Kindle whilst in Korea?  Can you buy them in stores here and how easy is it to buy books online?

Whenever I search amazon for a book I'm interested in, nine times out of ten it's not even available electronically.  I assumed that basically any book you think of would be there.  I don't want to waste money getting a Kindle if the books I want aren't available  :lipsrsealed:

« Reply #7374 on: February 25, 2020, 01:43:58 pm »
I have a Kindle and I just download all my books for free  :wink:. Calibre library can convert to Kindle format and there are lots of websites to download from.

« Reply #7375 on: February 25, 2020, 01:45:22 pm »
I have a Kindle and I just download all my books for free  :wink:. Calibre library can convert to Kindle format and there are lots of websites to download from.

Ah cool I thought that might be possible too.  Nice one!  Did you buy your Kindle in Korea or bring it with you?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7376 on: February 25, 2020, 01:45:46 pm »
yeah this is what i do. download from here

https://www.myanonamouse.net/

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7377 on: February 25, 2020, 06:00:08 pm »
Deontay Wilder wanted to make his ring walk prior to his fight with Tyson Fury on Saturday special and wore a 40-pound costume as a tribute to Black History Month. But Wilder said the costume was too heavy and was the reason that he didn’t have his legs under him in his seventh-round TKO loss to Fury.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/deontay-wilder-says-40-pound-costume-left-his-legs-dead-in-a-seventhround-tko-loss-to-tyson-fury-215534451.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Pi4T7weiQ

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #7378 on: February 25, 2020, 06:37:48 pm »
Deontay Wilder wanted to make his ring walk prior to his fight with Tyson Fury on Saturday special and wore a 40-pound costume as a tribute to Black History Month. But Wilder said the costume was too heavy and was the reason that he didn’t have his legs under him in his seventh-round TKO loss to Fury.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/deontay-wilder-says-40-pound-costume-left-his-legs-dead-in-a-seventhround-tko-loss-to-tyson-fury-215534451.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Pi4T7weiQ

The guy can probably bicep curl 60 pounds (more, I imagine) and he's saying a 40 pound costume over his whole body is too much?

Yeah, okay.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7379 on: February 25, 2020, 08:00:01 pm »
I've actually noticed that too with mine haha.  Wouldn't mind upgrading really.

On the subject of tech, has anyone gotten a Kindle whilst in Korea?  Can you buy them in stores here and how easy is it to buy books online?

Whenever I search amazon for a book I'm interested in, nine times out of ten it's not even available electronically.  I assumed that basically any book you think of would be there.  I don't want to waste money getting a Kindle if the books I want aren't available  :lipsrsealed:

Ordered my Kindle to a friends US address and she brought it when she returned.