Read 1287472 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7340 on: February 14, 2020, 10:55:13 am »
I woke up in Oido, end of the line, once. I had gone back from Itaewon on one of the first couple of trains. (For the record I was going to Sanbon, a 31 minute distance BEFORE Oido............. Also, I freaked out and jumped off the train and left a shopping bag with James Blake's Overgrown CD and the deluxe edition of The Velvet Underground and Nico.

---------------------------

Also woke up on line 1 once. Again, one of the first morning trains south from Daerim. I came to and there were these two black soldiers across from me.  The one said, "Yo, man, I believe this yo stahp, dude."

bb459 will call me racist for this but I don't give a shit. Coming to, hungover and having a couple of black dudes (for the simple reason that I very rarely see black dudes in Korea, let alone have them talk to me out of nowhere), in a monotone, direct voice tell you that "it's your stop." It's jarring hahahahaha. I was looking around, couldn't even figure out where I was or what was happening. Like, before, my goal was Sanbon (via Geumjeong).

So I get out, trusting these two young men, no idea why. I get off, cover my eyes from the sun and look at the station, which is completely outdoors. SHIT.

Byeongjeom. a 25 min ride past Geumjeong.

--------------------------------

Still, not the worst. My friend got absolutely tanked one day. He lived in Sanbon, too. Woke up at Oido. (Again, on the first train from Itaewon)

SHIT, it's 7AM. Gets back on. Wakes up in Danggogae.

SHIT, it's 9AM.

Gets back on................. ....... wakes up in Oido AGAIN. "FUKK DIS, I'M GETTIN A TAXI TO SANBON."

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7342 on: February 14, 2020, 11:51:41 am »
So what does Oido look like, lol?

But really, it's not really worth going out there. The station itself is a 15 minute ride from the actual seashore. There's a lighthouse and 1000 clam restos. That's it. There's no real reason to travel this far for that. It's better just to ride line 4 down to Ansan. You'll save an hour in transit time and it's way more entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0eqrkvRXYI

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7343 on: February 14, 2020, 01:07:24 pm »
It's interesting watching American Factory on Netflix. I've had this on my watch list for a few months and the Oscar win made me expedite my watching. haha

The interesting part is hearing the Chinese managers talk and picking out little words here and there from my Korean vocabulary.

Things like 인년 and 공장 are so similar it's cool to be able to pick them out of what they're saying.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #7344 on: February 14, 2020, 01:18:34 pm »
인년

What is this word? It's commonly used? What does it mean? (I can't figure it out; sorry.)

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7345 on: February 14, 2020, 01:21:14 pm »
What is this word? It's commonly used? What does it mean? (I can't figure it out; sorry.)

Shoot, sorry, 일년. One year. Mistype.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7346 on: February 15, 2020, 11:59:02 am »
Was talking with my VP yesterday before going home and he mentioned that he thinks that my teaching philosophy and how I work is like '페스탈로치'.  Haven't heard of him, so did a bit of digging.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Heinrich_Pestalozzi

What he meant, of course, is that you both sound a lot like pasta.  :wink:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7347 on: February 15, 2020, 10:30:11 pm »
You ever just spend a Saturday with someone and you just appreciate how much you love them?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #7348 on: February 15, 2020, 11:01:27 pm »
Remove the caps and wash out the bottles?

Yeah, sure.

Let the guy who poaches the recyclables every morn do it to make their few extra thousand won.

That bingo square i haven't earned.

« Reply #7349 on: February 17, 2020, 07:54:48 am »
Nice bit of snow yesterday.  Went hiking for a couple of hours because the air was good.  Then it carried on snowing the whole night.  Was the first in school today, so had time to pull a few handbrake turns in the perfectly snow-covered car park. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #7350 on: February 17, 2020, 08:02:08 am »
Was the first in school today, so had time to pull a few handbrake turns in the perfectly snow-covered car park. 

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO DID THAT!!!!

Hello new bestie  :police:

« Reply #7351 on: February 17, 2020, 08:05:18 am »
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO DID THAT!!!!

Hello new bestie  :police:

Haha  :police:

You don't need to ask me twice.  Empty snow-covered car park.  Let's do it.  My little Morning Automatic sounds an alarm when the handbrake is pulled while driving.  Didn't get that from my 2-Litre MG Maestro when I was 17.  You can't take the boy-racer out of people. 

« Reply #7352 on: February 17, 2020, 01:08:35 pm »
What he meant, of course, is that you both sound a lot like pasta.  :wink:

You are so anti-pasta sometimes.  :P

« Reply #7353 on: February 19, 2020, 11:53:41 am »
I've generally hated the free semester deal, and I wanted to slowly flay myself at the thought of going through it again this year since we get double the trouble this time around, but the coT in charge of the thing just told me that we won't be using the book. Like, at all. Which is a surprise because one of the reasons why the free semester has been such a ****** mess is because she'd still want us going over the book lessons in between all of the free semester crap. Really interfered with the purpose of the whole process.

So now that she's agreeing that the book is NOT something that we should be including in my classes during the free semesters, I'm kind of excited about it.

« Reply #7354 on: February 19, 2020, 12:13:01 pm »
Also, this has over 600k views:

http://youtu.be/UJRBLaqR1ZI

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7355 on: February 20, 2020, 10:47:42 pm »

But really, it's not really worth going out there. The station itself is a 15 minute ride from the actual seashore. There's a lighthouse and 1000 clam restos. That's it. There's no real reason to travel this far for that. It's better just to ride line 4 down to Ansan. You'll save an hour in transit time and it's way more entertaining.

But a short bus ride from Pottery Village.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

« Reply #7356 on: February 21, 2020, 08:12:26 am »
I've generally hated the free semester deal, and I wanted to slowly flay myself at the thought of going through it again this year since we get double the trouble this time around, but the coT in charge of the thing just told me that we won't be using the book. Like, at all. Which is a surprise because one of the reasons why the free semester has been such a ****** mess is because she'd still want us going over the book lessons in between all of the free semester crap. Really interfered with the purpose of the whole process.

The free semester thing is so badly implemented.  Nice idea, and trying to copy other countries that don't make study students study until they die, is just not going to work in its current format.  For teachers like us, it has its good and bad points.  Good because in middle school you can teach better classes that students will find interesting and will be motivated to participate.  But bad because a majority of students know that as there is no test from your class, so there is no point in studying.  So then you just have to make a class that is more interesting than their lack of concern.   Which can get a bit wearing a few months down the line.  Then the problem is when the students graduate and then they start having the constant tests again, they get more stress.  Weird.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7358 on: February 21, 2020, 11:16:51 am »
haha. i doubt he even watched it

also the headline:

Trump Mocks ‘Parasite’ Best Picture Win: ‘What the Hell Was That All About?’

people will be saying that about his presidency in the future, no doubt

« Reply #7359 on: February 21, 2020, 11:18:34 am »
The free semester thing is so badly implemented.  Nice idea, and trying to copy other countries that don't make study students study until they die, is just not going to work in its current format.  For teachers like us, it has its good and bad points.  Good because in middle school you can teach better classes that students will find interesting and will be motivated to participate.  But bad because a majority of students know that as there is no test from your class, so there is no point in studying.  So then you just have to make a class that is more interesting than their lack of concern.   Which can get a bit wearing a few months down the line.  Then the problem is when the students graduate and then they start having the constant tests again, they get more stress.  Weird.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with you. My coT just made it so much harder because I'm over here trying to get the kids to care about the assignments, which is hard enough on its own and next to impossible when we can't dedicate the amount of time needed for the more interesting ones because the kids are being forced to go over textbook materials that they aren't even being tested on.

SOOOOOOOO pointless. You want to stimulate their minds and encourage learning? Well forcing a shitty curriculum --  that was tailored for standardized testing and NOT made for an alternative style of teaching -- down their throats isn't the way to do it.

It's definitely more work, especially because it wasn't tailored for the Korean educational system, but even with the cons I'm honestly curious to see how implementing this program from the start of the school year, and without my usual KT interference (thanks to which I actually have plenty of unused material and plans to fall back on this year), will impact. Plus, a lot of my plans are actually going to be really, really fun, not just for the kids, but for me, too.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:04:23 am by Chinguetti »