Read 1188440 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7240 on: January 30, 2020, 09:07:50 am »
darkplace! don't forget darkplace. and snuff box

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #7241 on: January 30, 2020, 09:56:55 am »
So I kept seeing posts about a youtuber who had posted a vid claiming that his girlfriend had died in a car accident, and he wanted people to subscribe to his channel or whatever because it had been his girlfriend's dream for them to reach something like a million subscribers?

Not too sure of the fine details, but anyway, a lot of people called BS on it and did some investigative digging, which proved very quickly that his girlfriend was alive and well, and that the guy had lied to increase his viewership. Now this youtuber has apparently posted one of those cringy crying apology vids explaining why he'd lied.

I didn't bother watching any of it, but I still gotta wonder how anyone can lie about a loved one's death and think they can get away with it. This is like crackhead stupid.

This guy has a history of making tone deaf videos that are complete lies. Most of his viewership is children which is the worst part. He makes money by tricking children with those "I bought ____ off the dark web!" videos. He also makes videos "contacting" recently deceased celebrities at 3 am via Ouija board. He's so disrespectful. With Mac Miller, xxxTentacion and the YouTuber Etika he made videos like that the day after they died. I wish their families would just sue him so he'd have to stop.

« Reply #7242 on: January 31, 2020, 11:47:59 am »
This guy has a history of making tone deaf videos that are complete lies. Most of his viewership is children which is the worst part. He makes money by tricking children with those "I bought ____ off the dark web!" videos. He also makes videos "contacting" recently deceased celebrities at 3 am via Ouija board. He's so disrespectful. With Mac Miller, xxxTentacion and the YouTuber Etika he made videos like that the day after they died. I wish their families would just sue him so he'd have to stop.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if this kid has narcissistic personality disorder. I hope this latest stunt kills his "career."

« Reply #7243 on: February 03, 2020, 12:25:13 pm »
I've used Whatsapp for a couple of years as a way of communicating with my family and friends.  I don't, however, have any other social media at all.  Hate it with a passion.  So over the vacation, my older brother, who is kind of bothered with how personal information is collected through these various platforms, said he was changing to 'Signal' messenger.  I can kind of see his point as you may have noticed you get a 'Facebook' logo when you start up Whatsapp.  These days Facebook is a bunch of arseholes.  So I downloaded Signal as have a few others in my family.  But it's kind of strange to see how others were so bothered about changing over to this other platform.  Surely it's just another app?  If you want to keep using Whatsapp then do so, but not adding another one just to communicate with others seems a bit weird.   :undecided:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7244 on: February 03, 2020, 03:12:58 pm »
I've used Whatsapp for a couple of years as a way of communicating with my family and friends.  I don't, however, have any other social media at all.  Hate it with a passion.  So over the vacation, my older brother, who is kind of bothered with how personal information is collected through these various platforms, said he was changing to 'Signal' messenger.  I can kind of see his point as you may have noticed you get a 'Facebook' logo when you start up Whatsapp.  These days Facebook is a bunch of arseholes.  So I downloaded Signal as have a few others in my family.  But it's kind of strange to see how others were so bothered about changing over to this other platform.  Surely it's just another app?  If you want to keep using Whatsapp then do so, but not adding another one just to communicate with others seems a bit weird.   :undecided:

I have WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, KakaoTalk, Line, Skype, Kik...

If somebody asked me to add another because they donít do any of those I might be a little perturbed.

« Reply #7245 on: February 03, 2020, 03:19:02 pm »
You know what this world needs more of?

Jimmy Plush, Teddy Bear Detective.

« Reply #7246 on: February 05, 2020, 08:41:19 am »
During my holiday in Cambodia, I met lots of people from all over the world.  One day, on one particular tour, there were nine different nationalities and of course we were all chatting together in English.  All of these people from around the world chatting happily in a second (or third, fourth...) language.  That's when the shame of not speaking Korean really hit me and I felt inspired to pick it back up on returning to Korea.

As soon as I got back to Korea, all of that inspiration and drive disappeared.  There's something in my brain that says "lol, nope".  Could be the macho, shout-talk Busan dialect which I hate so much.  It's so loud. 

How the hell can I motivate myself to learn the language when I can't even bring myself to listen to it voluntarily? 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7247 on: February 05, 2020, 09:32:21 am »
Virtually all Western English teachers who've been here for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 years can't speak Korean at all beyond low level beginner basics.

Koreans look down on them for not becoming fluent and think it's weird.

But it's the norm.

« Reply #7248 on: February 05, 2020, 09:48:00 am »
Virtually all Western English teachers who've been here for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 years can't speak Korean at all beyond low level beginner basics.

But it's the norm.

Um... first of all, do you not think there's a difference between someone who's been here for five years versus ten or longer?

Also, people who've been here for ten or more years being unable to speak beyond 'low level beginner basics' is not the norm.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7249 on: February 05, 2020, 09:59:13 am »
C'mon, man. Most English teachers- almost all- who have been here ten years or more can't exceed a beginner level.

Could they get higher than a beginner level on the TOPIK?

No.

That means their Korean language ability is not higher than beginner.

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #7250 on: February 05, 2020, 10:04:55 am »

Not saying any person living here should ever have to aim for fluency, but being in Korea for 5+ years and not being beyond 'low level beginner basics' seems at least a little bit hypocritical to me (as an English teacher anyway). If you* teach English to students because they'll need it to communicate with in their lives (whether for work, study, travel ...) but can't hold a simple conversation in Korean after 5+ years of living in Korea ... what sort of message does that send to your students?

*a hypothetical 'you', not 'you' as in the person reading this right now (hi, btw).
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #7251 on: February 05, 2020, 10:09:33 am »
C'mon, man. Most English teachers- almost all- who have been here ten years or more can't exceed a beginner level.

Could they get higher than a beginner level on the TOPIK?

No.

That means their Korean language ability is not higher than beginner.

I have no idea what you're basing this on. Do you have anything you can cite? Or is this just conjecture based on the people that you know?

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7252 on: February 05, 2020, 10:18:28 am »
How about I base it on you then?

You've been in Korea at least ten years it seems given you've been posting since 2010...

My Korean is still absolute garbage for how long I've been here.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #7253 on: February 05, 2020, 10:26:00 am »
Not saying any person living here should ever have to aim for fluency, but being in Korea for 5+ years and not being beyond 'low level beginner basics' seems at least a little bit hypocritical to me (as an English teacher anyway). If you* teach English to students because they'll need it to communicate with in their lives (whether for work, study, travel ...) but can't hold a simple conversation in Korean after 5+ years of living in Korea ... what sort of message does that send to your students?

*a hypothetical 'you', not 'you' as in the person reading this right now (hi, btw).

How about working as an English teacher here for more than five years and having nothing more than an online TEFL cert? (not saying that's you by the way but it's pretty common) Don't you think that's a bit more disrespectful to students?

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7254 on: February 05, 2020, 10:28:47 am »
Got my bread from the bakery, but it was too hot to have them slice it. All this week my toast has body dysphoria.

Not Friday so take it with a grain of salt.

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #7255 on: February 05, 2020, 10:35:15 am »
How about working as an English teacher here for more than five years and having nothing more than an online TEFL cert? (not saying that's you by the way but it's pretty common) Don't you think that's a bit more disrespectful to students?

Perhaps, if they've done nothing to improve their teaching practice other than that initial online TEFL cert. I think how qualified a person is is only important from a hiring point of view (that point of view being the employer's). I don't think how qualified someone is (or isn't) can predict how good they are at teaching (not quite as black and white as "having an MA TESOL/CELTA = good teacher, having an online TEFL cert = bad teacher").

If a teacher hasn't improved their teaching methods, found new activities, created/edited better materials, then yeah, I guess that'd be pretty disrespectful, and more than not being able to speak Korean beyond a certain level.

Edit: added an " 's " to "employer"
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:40:31 am by Datasapien »
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #7256 on: February 05, 2020, 10:35:59 am »

Yeah I don't agree with the argument that just because we're teaching English we have to also be learning another language.

It's an interesting point about the teaching credentials.  Since living here, none of my coworkers or anyone for that matter has ever asked about my teaching experience, training, certification etc.  Even when enquiring about me teaching private classes to their kids or friends.  On the other hand, I regularly get asked about my Korean ability.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7257 on: February 05, 2020, 10:42:22 am »
I have no idea what you're basing this on. Do you have anything you can cite? Or is this just conjecture based on the people that you know?

If you doubt me, let's make a list of posters who have been here the longest.

VanIslander - 18 years.  Loves Korea but can't speak Korean. Made a thread about how Koreans are becoming less accepting of Westerners who have been here a long time but can't speak Korean.

Stoat- Well over 15 years, maybe 20. Don't know the exact number. Has a Korean wife, a half Korean kid, and in laws who can't speak English. Admitted he can't speak Korean at all.

Hangook77- 13 years. His level is definitely beginner. He typed some very basic Korean but it had mistakes. Nice guy, but not so good at Korean.

etc., etc.

I can''t think of any poster here who has been in Korea long term (more than a decade) and spoke about being good at Korean... except T.J. He bragged about getting a high score on the beginner level TOPIK, never took the intermediate level one. So is he good at Korean? He says he is, so I guess we'll have to take his word on it.  Here since the early 90s, studied a lot, so I guess it's believable.

The thing is Korean is an extremely difficult language ... and most adults can't pick up languages as quickly and as well as children.

So yeah, most Western English teachers who've been in Korea more than ten years are surprisingly bad at the language. Nowhere near fluent.

« Reply #7258 on: February 05, 2020, 10:53:40 am »

If you doubt me, let's make a list of posters who have been here the longest.

VanIslander - 18 years.  Loves Korea but can't speak Korean. Made a thread about how Koreans are becoming less accepting of Westerners who have been here a long time but can't speak Korean.

Stoat- Well over 15 years, maybe 20. Don't know the exact number. Has a Korean wife, a half Korean kid, and in laws who can't speak English. Admitted he can't speak Korean at all.

Hangook77- 13 years. His level is definitely beginner. He typed some very basic Korean but it had mistakes. Nice guy, but not so good at Korean.

etc., etc.

I can''t think of any poster here who has been in Korea long term (more than a decade) and spoke about being good at Korean... except T.J. He bragged about getting a high score on the beginner level TOPIK, never took the intermediate level one. So is he good at Korean? He says he is, so I guess we'll have to take his word on it.  Here since the early 90s, studied a lot, so I guess it's believable.

The thing is Korean is an extremely difficult language ... and most adults can't pick up languages as quickly and as well as children.

So yeah, most Western English teachers who've been in Korea more than ten years are surprisingly bad at the language. Nowhere near fluent.

So your sample group is waygook.org users who post regularly? I... don't think that's necessarily indicative of 'most foreigners.'

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7259 on: February 05, 2020, 10:56:49 am »
Well if you're calling me a liar, you better come with some evidence.

Korean's hard, man.

VanIslander is a smart guy. He did some chess championships in high school.

You honestly think most English teachers here long term can speak Korean well?

You are so wrong.

They are few and far between.

Extremely rare.