Read 1142234 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7200 on: January 08, 2020, 12:57:47 pm »
So last night I went to a nearby laundromat to wash a couple of blankets when a woman approached me and kept gesturing to me about them. Since none of the other machines were being used and she didn't have any laundry on her, I initially thought that she might have been a worker trying to shoo me off to a different location or trying to police me on the type of detergent I was using, but, while she kept making these weird washing motions and pointing somewhere else, she didn't seem meanspirited. She just seemed kind of desperate. But I couldn't understand her Korean at all, and I'd left my phone at home, so she eventually left me alone, and she looked so defeated.

After getting back home about 10 minutes later, it occurred to me that she might've been asking me to pay her to clean my blankets instead, and that she was gesturing towards her own home where she'd get this done. When I went back with my phone to confirm, though, she was already gone. If this is the case, she must really, really need some money, and I just feel so bad that my dumbass couldn't figure this out sooner.

This is going to bother me all week.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #7201 on: January 08, 2020, 01:14:40 pm »
You are not supposed to use detergent in the machines.

Weird, I know. But that is what I was told. Don't put detergent in the washing machines. I was flabbergasted.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #7202 on: January 08, 2020, 01:26:37 pm »

HOW DO THE CLOTHES GET CLEAN?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7203 on: January 08, 2020, 01:32:26 pm »

Weird, I know. But that is what I was told. Don't put detergent in the washing machines. I was flabbergasted.
do you mean don't put extra detergent in the machines? because those laundrette machines usually have detergent that is automatically added when you start the cycle

« Reply #7204 on: January 08, 2020, 01:33:13 pm »

Yeah, this is the case in many places because the detergent is considered part of the service, so the machines are set up to automatically dispense detergent.

But my laundromat is kind of special (it's rather new) and has two separate sets of machines -- ones where the detergent is auto-dispensed, and ones where you need to add your own detergent (probably for people who need to use specific types of detergent or who, like myself, are just kind of picky about the detergents they use).

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #7205 on: January 08, 2020, 08:58:09 pm »
So last night I went to a nearby laundromat to wash a couple of blankets when a woman approached me and kept gesturing to me about them. Since none of the other machines were being used and she didn't have any laundry on her, I initially thought that she might have been a worker trying to shoo me off to a different location or trying to police me on the type of detergent I was using, but, while she kept making these weird washing motions and pointing somewhere else, she didn't seem meanspirited. She just seemed kind of desperate. But I couldn't understand her Korean at all, and I'd left my phone at home, so she eventually left me alone, and she looked so defeated.

After getting back home about 10 minutes later, it occurred to me that she might've been asking me to pay her to clean my blankets instead, and that she was gesturing towards her own home where she'd get this done. When I went back with my phone to confirm, though, she was already gone. If this is the case, she must really, really need some money, and I just feel so bad that my dumbass couldn't figure this out sooner.

This is going to bother me all week.

She have been implying for YOUR to wash HER blankets...?

Don't feel bad...if you her again, just try and clear up the situation. 

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #7206 on: January 09, 2020, 06:50:25 am »
How come you guys don't have washing machines? It's 2020.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7207 on: January 09, 2020, 07:16:22 am »
you can't wash your bedding in the drum washing machines in apartments (too small)

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #7208 on: January 09, 2020, 07:52:36 am »
you can't wash your bedding in the drum washing machines in apartments (too small)

I can wash mine in the drum machine. However, 1 blanket fills up the drum haha.
Sheets and pillow cases I wash together, and they only take about 1/4 of the drum.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7209 on: January 09, 2020, 08:04:52 am »
i tried once (with the winter bedding), but the machine got stuck and wouldn't spin. it had soaked up too much water and was too heavy. eventually the door opened, the blanket was sopping wet, and i had to leave it in the bathroom for a day or two for it to stop dripping before i could take it to the laundrette and try again :/

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #7210 on: January 09, 2020, 08:20:14 am »
How come you guys still use blankets? It's 2020.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7211 on: January 09, 2020, 10:03:02 am »
How come you guys still use blankets? It's 2020.
Because global warming hasn't quite progressed *that* far yet.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #7212 on: January 09, 2020, 10:06:12 am »
As opposed to a duvet.

« Reply #7213 on: January 09, 2020, 12:09:26 pm »
As opposed to a duvet.

I've stopped using the word duvet since living here because nobody knows what I'm talking about haha.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7214 on: January 09, 2020, 01:00:47 pm »
don't even think i've seen a uk-style duvet (where you have feathers inside it, and wash a removable cover). the one we have is like a thin duvet, but no removable part, and you wash the whole thing

« Reply #7215 on: January 09, 2020, 01:39:21 pm »
don't even think i've seen a uk-style duvet (where you have feathers inside it, and wash a removable cover). the one we have is like a thin duvet, but no removable part, and you wash the whole thing

Do they not have them in Zara home?  Or Ikea?  My friend bought my the Swedish style blue stripey duvet cover and pillow cases from there for me. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7216 on: January 09, 2020, 01:46:05 pm »
don't think i've ever been to zara home, but yeah, they probably do at ikea actually. it's not like i got much say in our bedding anyway. MIL decided she wanted to spend over 350k on some pillows and blanket thing for us :/ i mean it's nice of her, but christ...

« Reply #7217 on: January 09, 2020, 02:13:29 pm »
don't think i've ever been to zara home, but yeah, they probably do at ikea actually. it's not like i got much say in our bedding anyway. MIL decided she wanted to spend over 350k on some pillows and blanket thing for us :/ i mean it's nice of her, but christ...

Yeh, 극세사 duvets are all well and good, but they just feel kind of unnatural, always really hot and kind of static-electricitytytyty.  My nephew loved it, so I bought him a single set, my mum also has a double set.  But it's too hot for me. 

Zara Home is pretty good and there are a few in Seoul.  Times Square in Yeongdeungpo and Coex to name a couple, if you don't want to have the worst shopping experience by going to a Korean IKEA. 

« Reply #7218 on: January 10, 2020, 02:20:36 pm »
I'll be the first to say that reddit has some hilarious stuff, but all the while making me think about some of the people who post videos.  Highlighted these days by there being a load of videos in r/whatcouldgowrong and r/holdmybeer of people setting off fireworks from their mouths or holding them above their heads and being showered in flames.  I don't get it.  Okay, you want to set off a firework from your 'windy valley' and that is funny, and I'll let that pass. It is like the people who spray silly string or shaving foam on people blowing out candles on their birthday cake, leading to the inevitable fireball.   :undecided:  All entertainment and the like, but come on.   

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7219 on: January 10, 2020, 03:13:11 pm »

Yeh, 극세사 duvets are all well and good, but they just feel kind of unnatural, always really hot and kind of static-electricitytytyty.  My nephew loved it, so I bought him a single set, my mum also has a double set.  But it's too hot for me. 

Zara Home is pretty good and there are a few in Seoul.  Times Square in Yeongdeungpo and Coex to name a couple, if you don't want to have the worst shopping experience by going to a Korean IKEA. 

Ours is cotton I think but just like a thin duvet but no removable cover. I also hate the microfiber ones tho. So hot