Read 1142223 times

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7180 on: January 06, 2020, 09:50:56 am »
I don't get it. How does this show that our contracts are worthless?
It just shows that the holidays given to us are the absolute minimum that Korean labour laws allow.
You can argue that this change in laws lifts the curtain about how little we actually get (and I would totally agree), but none of our contracts have been violated. We are still getting everything that we were promised. It just doesn't look as good because now everybody else (the noobs who haven't yet 'earned' the renewal bonus) are getting it as well.
     Objectively, this change is actually a good thing: more people are now getting additional vacation time. Subjectively speaking, I'm a bit miffed 'cause now everybody is getting the same as what I am regardless of time invested in teaching in Korea.

As for the discretionary holidays, I was told by my administration dude that the schools were only allowed to take 3 per year, so nobody should be getting less holiday days under the new system. On the other hand, I've heard some NETs say that it's actually 3 per semester, which is an entirely different ball game...

I mean, I'm not exactly happy with the changes, but mostly because the POEs are dressing up no change at all to look like it's a big bump in our vacation times, which is a bit shady imho.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #7181 on: January 06, 2020, 10:08:29 am »
The teachers have been cooking eggs for snacks everyday for the last week and a half.
I really dislike the smell of eggs. D:

Hardboiled eggs?

I like eggs as much as anyone else, and they're a great protein boost, but it's one of those foods you shouldn't stink up your work office with, lol.

Fish and some types of curry are also part of that. I LOVE both foods, but I would never even consider cooking or heating those foods up in a shared office, lmao.

Yeah, looks like hardboiled. I'm allergic to eggs and hate the smell too haha.
Seafood and eggs are 2 foods I can't eat at all. D:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #7182 on: January 06, 2020, 10:10:20 am »
I think lots of us were really frustrated with the change because even though they increased the number of vacation days, they also sneaked in the "school birthday = vacation day" clause.  This meant that some of us actually ended up with fewer vacation days than before because of various school events. 

So if the law requires 26 days, I don't think that the discretionary holidays should count as vacation....they were fine with it before the law said 26 days, but now they aren't ok with us just taking the day.....so really we get the same vacation as before, some cases less, and lucky ones maybe a day or two more. ....I have made the decision just to come to school on some of those discretionary days so that I did not lose a vacation day and so that I could just have an easy, get a lot of lessons prepared in advance day. I'm more likely to be productive on those days than deskwarming student vacation time because I have all my textbooks, schedules etc to plan with....don't always have those things between semesters/new year starting.

Not sure if this is in every region, or just mine, in my region, principals can force you to use a vacation on these holidays if no one wants to come in and deskwarm with you.
No one at my schools want to, so I'm forced to take a vacation day at each one :\

« Reply #7183 on: January 06, 2020, 10:12:08 am »
It just shows that the holidays given to us are the absolute minimum that Korean labour laws allow.
You can argue that this change in laws lifts the curtain about how little we actually get (and I would totally agree), but none of our contracts have been violated. We are still getting everything that we were promised. It just doesn't look as good because now everybody else (the noobs who haven't yet 'earned' the renewal bonus) are getting it as well.
     Objectively, this change is actually a good thing: more people are now getting additional vacation time. Subjectively speaking, I'm a bit miffed 'cause now everybody is getting the same as what I am regardless of time invested in teaching in Korea.

As for the discretionary holidays, I was told by my administration dude that the schools were only allowed to take 3 per year, so nobody should be getting less holiday days under the new system. On the other hand, I've heard some NETs say that it's actually 3 per semester, which is an entirely different ball game...

I mean, I'm not exactly happy with the changes, but mostly because the POEs are dressing up no change at all to look like it's a big bump in our vacation times, which is a bit shady imho.

Yes, I mean we are getting what we should it's just written in a different way.....but ....when we are promised 5 days on top of what is promised in the next contract......then yeah that was taken away and our contract didnt mean anything in that sense.....I feel that those who were promised the bonus days upon renewal should have gotten it one last time....then after that fine but what we signed said+5 in addition to the vacation stated in the new contract.....for me it's not the fairness compared to the new teachers....it's the fact that it is written in black and white and was what I and the POE signed....

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #7184 on: January 06, 2020, 10:25:45 am »

Two possible reasons:

1) The contracts said we'd get five additional days. We won't. It didn't say "five additional days, unless the base number of days goes up for some reason." If they can't be expected to give us what they said they'd give us in the contract, then what use is the contract?

or

2) What the contract said were renewal bonus rewards were neither bonus nor rewards. It was just raising the number of days to the government mandated amount, dolled up to make us think we were getting something special. If a contract can be written up to make us think we're getting a bonus incentive when we aren't actually, then what use is the contract?

I mean, I get that this doesn't bother you. That's fine. I enjoy your general positive attitude around here, and envy your ability to maintain it when interacting with grumps and trolls. I know this isn't the worst thing in the world, and I've definitely seen teachers here get screwed over much, much worse. Perhaps I am making much ado about nothing, but I just can't shake my negative thoughts about this. In the end, it's a contributing factor to my decision that this coming school year will be my final year here. (Famous last words, haha.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 11:26:42 am by Mister Tim »

« Reply #7185 on: January 06, 2020, 12:07:31 pm »
Was streaming the FA cup game between Rochdale - Newcastle on Saturday.   Was a little curious about the microphones in with the crowd.  I think around the 30-minute mark there was a some chanting from the crowd that went something like 'Robbie Savage is a Waanker' which lasted about a minute and very audibly so.  Then the commentator said something like 'we apologise for some of the rude chanting'.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Robbie Savage was the other commentator.  Twaat!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #7186 on: January 06, 2020, 12:18:28 pm »
Parasite wins Best Foreign Picture at the Golden Globes.

« Reply #7187 on: January 06, 2020, 12:56:29 pm »
Was streaming the FA cup game between Rochdale - Newcastle on Saturday.   Was a little curious about the microphones in with the crowd.  I think around the 30-minute mark there was a some chanting from the crowd that went something like 'Robbie Savage is a Waanker' which lasted about a minute and very audibly so.  Then the commentator said something like 'we apologise for some of the rude chanting'.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Robbie Savage was the other commentator.  Twaat!

Haha that is brilliant  :laugh:

« Reply #7188 on: January 06, 2020, 01:00:12 pm »

Haha that is brilliant  :laugh:

I found a link, so don't take my word for it...

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/01/04/video-bt-sport-forced-to-apologise-as-robbie-savage-gets-brutal-chant-from-fans/?utm_source=rsn&utm_medium=rsn&utm_campaign=gac0061

:laugh:  It's true though, he is a waanker!

« Reply #7189 on: January 06, 2020, 02:39:39 pm »
My classroom now looks like it's been ransacked by zombies.

But I've got a plan.

« Reply #7190 on: January 07, 2020, 01:30:26 pm »
any other americans get the email alert from the embassy?

« Reply #7191 on: January 07, 2020, 01:39:32 pm »

I got an email a week or two ago saying to exercise normal precautions.....it didn't seem to be anything important, just like an update....or maybe a protest was going on

« Reply #7192 on: January 07, 2020, 01:44:35 pm »

Yeah, got one about 40 minutes ago. Warned about heightened middle east tensions that might pose a security risk to Americans abroad, and to stay alert for updates.

« Reply #7193 on: January 07, 2020, 02:15:17 pm »

Officially jealous.  Your country cares about you.  I get emails from the British Embassy that are more along the lines of...

'How long have you been abroad for now?  Over ten years?  You're not coming back, are you?  If so, we hope you die in a ditch somewhere you twaat.  No tea for you bellend.  Eat cold chips with no ketchup as our rockets fly over your head, you pillock.'

Sincerely

British Embassy.

« Reply #7194 on: January 07, 2020, 02:27:51 pm »
Have you all informed your embassy that you're here?  It comes up every year at the contract re-signing orientation as something we should do but I always assumed it was automatic, ie. my country already knows that I'm here so I don't need to actually contact the embassy.

« Reply #7195 on: January 07, 2020, 02:37:32 pm »
Have you all informed your embassy that you're here?  It comes up every year at the contract re-signing orientation as something we should do but I always assumed it was automatic, ie. my country already knows that I'm here so I don't need to actually contact the embassy.

yeah, i notified them

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7196 on: January 07, 2020, 04:20:56 pm »

Officially jealous.  Your country cares about you.  I get emails from the British Embassy that are more along the lines of...

'How long have you been abroad for now?  Over ten years?  You're not coming back, are you?  If so, we hope you die in a ditch somewhere you twaat.  No tea for you bellend.  Eat cold chips with no ketchup as our rockets fly over your head, you pillock.'

Sincerely

British Embassy.

Nobody is chanting “death to Britain!” In the streets, though.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7197 on: January 07, 2020, 04:46:15 pm »
the british embassy is genuinely useless though. what do they actually do?

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #7198 on: January 07, 2020, 05:34:56 pm »
the british embassy is genuinely useless though. what do they actually do?

In the two hours a day they're open to the pubic I think their job is to sit behind a glass window and tell you grumpily that you should do whatever you want to do online.

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7199 on: January 08, 2020, 11:21:22 am »

Sincerely

British Embassy.

Nobody is chanting “death to Britain!” In the streets, though.

Isn't that what the 'STOOOOPPP BREXITTTTTT' guy wearing the big EU hat is chanting now in Westminster?