Read 1323880 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7120 on: December 27, 2019, 09:27:37 am »
to be fair, have you seen a k-drama? they have very bizarre, full-on monologues to themselves every 5 minutes, for some reason

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #7121 on: December 27, 2019, 09:57:40 am »
it's spelled stationery, not stationary.  :laugh: oh dear...  :cry:

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #7122 on: December 27, 2019, 11:36:22 am »
Gawd. I'm glad I am the only waygook. I can march to the beat of my own drum.

And I am thrilled I have never deskwarmed, only rocked a hagwon staff room when, and as long as i felt like it, since 2002.

(Verbal rules trump traditional writing rules!)

Got a big chunk of deskwarming coming up this winter.  I would love to hear what rocking a hakwan staff room entails.  I'm always open to learning new things.  Also, it seems as if the majority of people on this thread are the only waygook at their places of employment so also not sure what the hell that meant. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #7123 on: December 27, 2019, 11:44:31 am »
so also not sure what the hell that meant. 

I, too, have no idea what VanIslander is trying to say.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #7124 on: December 27, 2019, 11:53:36 am »
I think he meant he rocks "into" the hagwon staff room whenever he feels like it...in other words, no deskwarming. So even if he's got a day with 3 classes or less, he's got the remaining 21+ hours to do whatever he pleases away from work.

That is one thing I miss about working in a hagwon.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #7125 on: December 30, 2019, 08:17:05 am »
I think he meant he rocks "into" the hagwon staff room whenever he feels like it...in other words, no deskwarming. So even if he's got a day with 3 classes or less, he's got the remaining 21+ hours to do whatever he pleases away from work.

I must say I sometimes miss the atmosphere of my first hakwan that was not a chain.  If you had some gaps in the schedule you were free to wander out and hit the gym or go to the supermarket and take your groceries home.  Top couple of floors of our building was a sauna and I would go there sometimes.  If they could give me public school vacation time I'd think about going back. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #7126 on: December 30, 2019, 09:22:18 am »

Yeah, no deskwarming. No punch clock. Only a general expectation to arrive 30 minutes before the first class and to shut the classroom lights off after the last class. No staff meetings, no paperwork, no hassle.

The joys of the one-waygook mom-and-pop afternoon hagwons. This has been the only kind i have chosen to work at due to all these benefits. 4-8 pm schedule means a 4.5 hour work day. A "long" day of 3-9:30 is still under 8 hours.

And that is with a dinner break and meal provided (more like a mini-meal: kimchi and rice, kimbap or toasted sandwich).

No split shifts, no mornings (this kind of hagwon never opens its doors before noon), no weekend classes.

But it is no deskwarming that is most appreciated. I have always loathed govt office and punch clock type work and thought it not for me (i couldnt even enjoy watching the tv show The Office). Like my journalism days: show up, work, go home. Bing, bang, boom.

Others prefer things differently. One woman i know says she loves sitting at her desk and knitting and reading novels (netflix and computer games were banned by the elementary school she works at).

To each, their own.

Thete are more than enough jobs to pick and choose aspects you most value.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #7127 on: December 30, 2019, 10:05:39 am »
One woman i know says she loves sitting at her desk and knitting and reading novels (netflix and computer games were banned by the elementary school she works at).

She's supposed to be working for the benefit of the students via prepping lessons, etc.  Hence the ban. Instead, she shamelessly loves sitting at her desk and knitting and reading novels. Blissfully unaware of how this is making her - and NETs in general - look bad.

The lower Koreans' opinions of NETs, the more positions will be eliminated, and for those that remain, the more conditions will deteriorate.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #7128 on: December 30, 2019, 10:18:55 am »
One woman i know says she loves sitting at her desk and knitting and reading novels (netflix and computer games were banned by the elementary school she works at).

She's supposed to be working for the benefit of the students via prepping lessons, etc.  Hence the ban. Instead, she shamelessly loves sitting at her desk and knitting and reading novels. Blissfully unaware of how this is making her - and NETs in general - look bad.

The lower Koreans' opinions of NETs, the more positions will be eliminated, and for those that remain, the more conditions will deteriorate.

However, there is only so much we can do.
I haven't had classes in 2 weeks. We still have students at the school, but they are doing some special camp, and the week before that, the students were prepping stuff for graduation.
I'm already fully prepared for my camp in 2 - 3 weeks time. And, 2/3 of our textbooks aren't changing, I already have 2/3s of next years lessons planned. My co-T and I are already pretty happy with them; and I won't have the new textbook until the first week of school in the next school year.
Hell, the Korean teachers themselves are in a similar boat, they are mostly just watching k-dramas at their desk, or reading novels.

My personal opinion, is once you have done everything you need to, it's fine to kick back a bit and do something you enjoy; but the work should be done first.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #7129 on: December 30, 2019, 10:19:16 am »

There is only so much one can do regarding that.  I have found (and I speak for myself, only), the more I mess around and tweak a lesson plan, the more unsure I feel about it.  In addition, why spend hours upon hours trying to create something that will likely be shot down, unappreciated or critiqued by someone who cannot even conjure up a lesson plan within the rubric of E.S.A. standards? 

Over time, one can surely have an idea of what may or may not work, regarding lesson planning.  If the work is done and the teacher/instructor has it all lined up, ready to go...who cares what he/she is doing otherwise?  This is especially applicable, when I recall the countless times I've seen Korean teachers doing jack-shite, hung-over, letting the kids just run around, drinking soju in the teacher's room, shopping online, playing computer games, hunched over sleeping...

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #7130 on: December 30, 2019, 10:26:34 am »

Seriously.  Are we all to be branded as drinking, book loving, whoring knitters because this one woman can't keep her hands off a skein for eight hours?

I'm deskwarming all week, but by deskwarming I mean standing at attention in the classroom doorway in case anyone has a question about English, or due to my height, needs me to reach something high up.  Unfortunately, with only four classes next week and camp fully prepped I am unable to pretend to work on lessons.  I'm hope all the Koreans who aren't watching notice and elevate their opinion of me.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7131 on: December 30, 2019, 10:39:55 am »
when i shared offices with the other subject teachers, the korean teachers would also spend the majority of their free time online shopping, texting on kakao, sleeping, drinking coffee and gossiping or reading books

the korean teachers also have around 20 hours of classes a week, leaving 20+ hours free. it does not take 20 hours to prep classes for the week. as long as you're all prepared, who cares what you spend your extra time doing?

« Reply #7132 on: December 30, 2019, 10:53:07 am »

...And this here is one of the reasons why Korea ranks incredibly low in productivity in the OECD.

I have years of experience and tried and tested material at my disposal. It takes me a fraction of the time to prepare a well-structured lesson, as opposed to a new NET or pretty much every CT I've worked with.
You're telling me I should be punished for performing my duties efficiently?

Korean office workers have figured this game out and opt to get started on their work after 5pm, as it means they'll stay after hours and appear to be going the extra mile.

Korean's negative opinions of us are often the result of media sensationalism and, of course, ignorance; exactly how does a person who can't speak English and doesn't know the first thing about education judge an English teacher? Their ignorance is not my responsibility or my problem.

Of course, a bit of discretion is in order, don't go blaring games from your laptop when others are in the room with you.

Let them cut NET positions, they'll hire us straight back.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #7133 on: December 30, 2019, 10:58:31 am »

Not so sure about that...a little birdie told me that allowing Filipino teachers to obtain an E2  visa, is on the board with immigration.  They are very good playing the game you mentioned....for 1/2 the price.

Whether or not this will come to fruition, I don't know.  But, the little birdie that told me works with immigration officials. 

« Reply #7134 on: December 30, 2019, 11:20:08 am »

Not so sure about that...a little birdie told me that allowing Filipino teachers to obtain an E2  visa, is on the board with immigration.  They are very good playing the game you mentioned....for 1/2 the price.

Whether or not this will come to fruition, I don't know.  But, the little birdie that told me works with immigration officials. 

I have no doubt we'll see more Filipino teachers and they're going to relax visa restrictions... however, public perception that English is better learned from a native English speaker isn't going away anytime soon. Even if it's all superficial and extends to not much more than Ms Kim bragging that her son is learning English from Jenny from Socal, it's going to be enough that Korea keeps hiring NETs, public demand will always be there.

Worst/best case scenario, they hire fewer, but more qualified NETs.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #7135 on: December 30, 2019, 11:23:56 am »
they hire fewer, but more qualified NETs.

..for 2.1-2.3? 

There will always be the "it's all for the kids" type and that is fair enough.  But, the question remains...do high-speed, highly qualified folks actually WANT to work in a rather thankless environment, with minimal vacation time, in a regressive working environment? ...all for 2.1-2.3? 

« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:28:58 am by NorthStar »

« Reply #7136 on: December 30, 2019, 12:14:18 pm »
they hire fewer, but more qualified NETs.

..for 2.1-2.3? 

There will always be the "it's all for the kids" type and that is fair enough.  But, the question remains...do high-speed, highly qualified folks actually WANT to work in a rather thankless environment, with minimal vacation time, in a regressive working environment? ...all for 2.1-2.3? 

I might be a bit biased since I'm somewhat of an optimist.

Korea is in new territory right now and the education industry is still learning that offering 2.1mil won is usually going to get you a 2.1mil won teacher. My CT recently came back from a workshop, attended by most of the other public school CTs in my city. The word was that many CTs are complaining that NETs who are inexperienced are difficult to work with and are begging to work with the minority of experienced NETs in the city, they requested that all NETs be shuffled to new schools in 2020, this was met with fierce opposition from the CTs who are working with experienced NETs.

Still, I don't think the salary is going up anytime soon, but you need to keep in mind that even with the relatively high cost of living these days, 2.3 might be peanuts to an American, but it goes a long way for a South African. 

Regarding Filipinos replacing us, meh...

No matter how much of a nationalistic blowhard an ajjushi is, give him a choice of a new Genesis or a new BMW/Merc and he'll happily be humming 'Deutschland Uber Alles' as parks his E-class across 2 parking spots to pick up his instant coffee.
Korean woman might have no complaints about the MCM bag but she'll always know... it's not LV/YSL or Prada.
Filipino teachers might be more competent and experienced than most NETs, but we'll always be the more exclusive and prefered product.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #7137 on: December 30, 2019, 12:29:48 pm »
I might be a bit biased since I'm somewhat of an optimist.

No harm in that. 

Korea is in new territory right now and the education industry is still learning that offering 2.1mil won is usually going to get you a 2.1mil won teacher. My CT recently came back from a workshop, attended by most of the other public school CTs in my city. The word was that many CTs are complaining that NETs who are inexperienced are difficult to work with and are begging to work with the minority of experienced NETs in the city, they requested that all NETs be shuffled to new schools in 2020, this was met with fierce opposition from the CTs who are working with experienced NETs.

I wonder, if during these meetings, did the powers that be ask the K-CT's about THEIR efforts concerning working with NET's?  Did inquire whether or not they were creating an effective, healthy communicative environment in which all benefit, learn and appreciate one another?  I'd be curious if that was even brought up. 

Still, I don't think the salary is going up anytime soon, but you need to keep in mind that even with the relatively high cost of living these days, 2.3 might be peanuts to an American, but it goes a long way for a South African.

That is a good point...especially when it comes to Filipino teachers, who WILL work for almost nothing. 

Regarding Filipinos replacing us, meh...

No matter how much of a nationalistic blowhard an ajjushi is, give him a choice of a new Genesis or a new BMW/Merc and he'll happily be humming 'Deutschland Uber Alles' as parks his E-class across 2 parking spots to pick up his instant coffee.
Korean woman might have no complaints about the MCM bag but she'll always know... it's not LV/YSL or Prada.
Filipino teachers might be more competent and experienced than most NETs, but we'll always be the more exclusive and prefered product.

Ummm...I am not one to throw the "racist" flag on the field.  But, in this case, considering I've worked with the F-mafia, I am going to have to respectfully disagree.  They might be more competent, or, "tolerant", being able to take the abuse of a regressive working environment and fit in quite well with creating gossip....but, that does not make them better teachers. 

Anyway...it will be interesting to see what happens with this.  If it is really all about the money, then schools will want to maximize their profits.  If the coffee house mom's don't want to go that route, then schools will just continue to lower wages....win-win situation for them, I guess.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #7138 on: January 01, 2020, 08:29:13 am »
Even if it's all superficial and extends to not much more than Ms Kim bragging that her son is learning English from Jenny from Socal, it's going to be enough that Korea keeps hiring NETs, public demand will always be there.

Most Korean public schools don't have a NET now and haven't for years. The eventual plan was to phase them out. Korean teachers teach the English classes. Life goes on. No one seems to care much.

Public school NETs:

2011: 9,320
2012: 8,520
2013: 7,916
2014: 6,785
2015: 5,545
2016: 4,962
2017: 3,260?
2018: ?

(Anyone with more recent stats, please post.)

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #7139 on: January 01, 2020, 10:02:44 am »
I remember back in '06 when Rho Mu-hyun's administration flooded the nation with public school waygooks.

I had the pick of the litter in terms of hagwons and snagged me a 4-day Fridays-off 4-6:50 pm daily, 12-hour a week (never more than 18) hagwon gig for 2.6.mill. It lasted three years. All hail supply and demand!

The ESL industry in this country has surged and dipped. It certainly is far from dead as long as Korean moms exist!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 10:05:18 am by VanIslander »