Read 1183690 times

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7100 on: December 22, 2019, 10:36:27 am »
The Law of Diminishing Returns comes to mind here.

Well, you could spend an extra 8 hours to make your lessons 5% better.

No?

Korean: "Why are you watching a movie at work?"

CO2: "I don't want to spend eight hours making my lessons 5% better."

Korean: "..."
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ________________

People's self perceptions aren't always accurate - 8 hours, 5% - in fact, they rarely are. So to use the law of diminishing returns as an excuse to goof off rather than work during working hours is not good.

The next person to quote my writing, comment on Dunning-Kruger. Is this a true aspect of human nature? Why or why not? Could it apply to waygook.org posters? Why or why not?

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7101 on: December 22, 2019, 10:37:58 am »
I will tell all of you to step your game up planning and making activities for your classes.  Also, take the time to say Hi to the kids and let them speak to you a bit.  This year due to the textbooks changing and me being unimpressed with the material, I made a lot of my own material, games, ppts, etc.  I submitted a small sample of things here.  I hesitated to share some, but figured some NETS going to class impressing their teachers and schools will help to keep a positive vibe about us and the program overall.  

The truth is most Koreans think we are lazy.  A couple of my teachers even disliked or heard bad rumours about previous NETS they or someone they knew worked with.  Since working with me, they have changed their perspective.  They and the schools like that the kids all say hello to me and I do back.  They also like how well prepared I am for classes.  (Sometimes, a ppt game I made, sometimes a laminated game sheet, sometimes, UNO expression cards I made, etc.)  They have mentioned how hard I work, how diligent I am, etc.  I don't say this to brag about myself.  But, Koreans around me take notice.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7102 on: December 22, 2019, 10:50:48 am »
^ NETs in public schools have so much free time i think there's no excuse NOT to spend a lot of time making materials. besides, i'd argue the korean english teachers are definitely more lazy. they'd just print out some poorly-made worksheet without even proof reading it for spelling errors most of the time in my experience

however i also think there should be better training on how to effectively teach. when i first came to korea, i was under the impression i'd learn that along the way. yet, i was completely ignroed by the korean teachers, and they would refuse to give me feedback on my classes (even though i knew i was terrible). then i would get blamed for my classes not being good enough. couldn't win. it wasn't my fault- i was trying my best!

« Reply #7103 on: December 22, 2019, 05:10:35 pm »
I've been feeling like such a grinch for the past couple of weeks, so little things like this are good for my soul right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL_rMpXaa_U]

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:12:11 pm by Chinguetti »

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #7104 on: December 22, 2019, 05:53:55 pm »
^ NETs in public schools have so much free time i think there's no excuse NOT to spend a lot of time making materials. besides, i'd argue the korean english teachers are definitely more lazy. they'd just print out some poorly-made worksheet without even proof reading it for spelling errors most of the time in my experience

however i also think there should be better training on how to effectively teach. when i first came to korea, i was under the impression i'd learn that along the way. yet, i was completely ignroed by the korean teachers, and they would refuse to give me feedback on my classes (even though i knew i was terrible). then i would get blamed for my classes not being good enough. couldn't win. it wasn't my fault- i was trying my best!

There have been a few times when the Korean counterpart would try and cross over into my firing lane, for no good reason.  I would then suggest that I watch one of  his/her classes, so I could take notes and learn something. ...they never wanted to do that.

« Reply #7105 on: December 22, 2019, 10:21:55 pm »

There have been a few times when the Korean counterpart would try and cross over into my firing lane, for no good reason.  I would then suggest that I watch one of  his/her classes, so I could take notes and learn something. ...they never wanted to do that.

Only time I've ever seen more than the dozen CTs I've worked with ever teach an originally made, or non-textbook, lesson in English was during an open class. The fact that they rarely make their own materials or teach in English was plain to see:

- Awkward English and bad pronunciation
- PPTs filled with flashy animations and sounds, but not much much in the way of content
- About a 50% chance that the activity will bomb

They seemed extremely uncomfortable, even though the lessons were highly scripted and practiced beforehand.
The CTs I work with are good at what they do, but what that is, is not teaching lessons in English. It's possible to learn a language without total immersion, I did at school. I hated my 2nd language, never grew up speaking it, never spoke it at home or outside the classroom and was a pretty poor student, but I'm confident that my fluency in Afrikaans (by half arsing it from Primary school to HS) is better than the English fluency of any CT I've worked with. 

Ultimately, the POE instructs us to teach in English and use little to no Korean during our lessons. That's what they want, that's what I do.

I've been teaching for years, it's not necessary for me to spend hours making material I already have. Furthermore, PPTs are something I don't like to rely on; they can be a useful tool, particularly for single words with matching pictures,  but I find whiteboards to be better at explaining points, by drawing and writing in real-time. A teacher can't always predict which point the class, or a student, is going to have difficulty with and needs further explanation, a whiteboard allows you to react to this and focus more on teaching instead of lecturing. Korea has a culture of appearing busy at all times, not necessarily being productive. For every truly lazy NET, there's going to be a Korean CT who needs a month to plan a simple open class because she's too busy running around trying to convince everyone how busy she is.

In complete contrast to Japan, I get the sense that many Korean teachers view teachers who spend hours making PPTs as diligent and the ones who prefer the whiteboard as lazy. PPTs are useful, but somewhat of a crutch for Korean teachers when teaching English. It's less stressful and easier when the PPT leads the lesson and all you have to do is annotate it.

So, these days I spend very little time preparing lessons I already have on my USB. I've taught them many times and know how to explain the FAQs and address common issues. Drawing pictures on a whiteboard to explain important points ALWAYS catches the attention of students a lot more than sterile digital pixels.

To paraphrase Soap
"PPTs for show, whiteboards for a pro."

« Reply #7106 on: December 23, 2019, 06:58:42 am »
My Korean friend got married at the weekend.  He's going to London for his honeymoon this week.  He wanted to see Spurs-Brighton on Boxing Day.  Tickets are difficult to get hold of, but I found a website so he could get tickets.  As it's his honeymoon he went for super expensive, executive tickets for 400 000 won a pop.  Cool.  We just need for Son Heung Min to not miss the game through injury or through serving a punishment.  Yesterday, Son Heung Min gets sent off for kicking someone in the stomach.  Straight red card and three-game ban.  :rolleyes:

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #7107 on: December 23, 2019, 07:32:16 am »
I laughed at that way harder than I should  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now they’ll be stuck watching the other 22 players on the pitch, and 14 on the bench that they don’t know or give a flying feck about.

On the plus side, Son might turn up in one of the exec boxes as players often do when suspended or injured, so all hope is not lost...yet  :laugh:

« Reply #7108 on: December 23, 2019, 07:43:38 am »
I laughed at that way harder than I should  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now they’ll be stuck watching the other 22 players on the pitch, and 14 on the bench that they don’t know or give a flying feck about.

On the plus side, Son might turn up in one of the exec boxes as players often do when suspended or injured, so all hope is not lost...yet  :laugh:

Typical, right? For weeks, I've been thinking 'Don't get injured, don't get sent off, don't mess this up'. Woke up this morning to my brother's message saying about Son's 'violent kick'.  Your last paragraph is what I'm hoping for.  His seat is right behind the benches and he'll be in the executive lounges before kick off and at half time, so hopefully Mr Son will be hanging around there for a quick photo.   :-*

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #7109 on: December 26, 2019, 02:31:27 pm »
Does anyone else find that their co-teachers will talk to themselves if they're working on something and focusing, especially on a computer.

A lot of

뭐지?

어디있어?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. ............

왜?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7110 on: December 26, 2019, 03:07:17 pm »
Does anyone else find that their co-teachers will talk to themselves if they're working on something and focusing, especially on a computer.

A lot of

뭐지?

어디있어?

왜?
gotta "subtly" let the whole office you're "being diligent" and doing some work. don't forget the ol'...

AHHHHHHHH 힘들어어어어어
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 03:19:41 pm by oglop »

« Reply #7111 on: December 26, 2019, 03:15:43 pm »

A lot of

뭐지?

어디있어?

왜?

People who talk to themselves while they're working are pretty annoying.

Although, I confess, I also talk to myself a lot while I'm working.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #7112 on: December 27, 2019, 01:11:29 am »
I hum.

But it IS my classroom. I don't care if it annoys you. Get the freight out if you can't take it.

« Reply #7113 on: December 27, 2019, 07:44:57 am »
I hum.

But it IS my classroom. I don't care if it annoys you. Get the freight out if you can't take it.

What annoys me are people, when at the gym, count their reps out-loud. There is this one guy, and I am not sure how he isn't aware of how loud he is counting. It is like he wants everyone to hear him working out.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #7114 on: December 27, 2019, 07:45:50 am »
Sometimes I argue with myself and refuse to speak to me.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #7115 on: December 27, 2019, 07:48:07 am »

A lot of

뭐지?

어디있어?

왜?

Although, I confess, I also talk to myself a lot while I'm working.

I don't while I'm working but, I do at home while doing mundane tasks like cleaning or cooking.
Mostly trying to remind myself what else I need to do, or what I've done to that point, to try not forget something haha.
I also do it while shopping to remind myself if I need to get something.

« Reply #7116 on: December 27, 2019, 07:53:45 am »
What annoys me are people, when at the gym, count their reps out-loud. There is this one guy, and I am not sure how he isn't aware of how loud he is counting. It is like he wants everyone to hear him working out.

Hahaha, there's this guy that used to go to my gym, he'd let out these really loud grunts whenever he was lifting. Like, haka loud. He didn't stick around for very long, though, he was gone after about a month? I kind of assumed that someone told him off and he decided to go somewhere else. xD

« Reply #7117 on: December 27, 2019, 08:21:23 am »

Hahaha, there's this guy that used to go to my gym, he'd let out these really loud grunts whenever he was lifting. Like, haka loud. He didn't stick around for very long, though, he was gone after about a month? I kind of assumed that someone told him off and he decided to go somewhere else. xD

I don't think anyone will "tell him off" as he is a foreigner. I honestly don't have any problem with him, but it is distracting. I can see other people are a bit distracted as well. You know when someone does something then another person makes eye contact with you, and both kind of feel why. Anyway, I may bring it to his attention after vacation. If he doesn't see it here and realize it is him first.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #7118 on: December 27, 2019, 09:07:28 am »
he'd let out these really loud grunts whenever he was lifting. Like, haka loud.

« Reply #7119 on: December 27, 2019, 09:09:56 am »
Yeah my coworkers talk to themselves out loud in the office.  I always talk to myself out loud but never if there are other people around.  Common courtesy isn't it.

The classic is when they start hitting the keys on their keyboard really hard.  I think it's to show how busy they are I assume.  Then again they often say out loud how busy and tired they are so it gives the game away lol.

Any avoidable noise generally annoys me.  Kakao notifcations not on silent.  Mental.  Listening to music without headphones.  Heresy.