Read 1278778 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7080 on: December 20, 2019, 10:00:06 am »
studying Korean is actually often times PD hours....at least in my case...but if I wasn't allowed to during school hours, I wouldn't want to hear from any of the Korean staff about my Korean skills or that I should learn faster etc.....I once had a very mean PE teacher tell me to never talk during teacher dinners or around the office to the Korean teachers if I was going to speak English....actually he really wanted to just say don't talk at all, even in Korean, because he really hated the job-stealing foreigners.....othe r teachers told me that after he almost made me cry in front of all the teachers at a dinner...he told the other teachers to not speak to me as well

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7081 on: December 20, 2019, 10:13:50 am »
Right I know I'm being a sh*t-stirrer here but this stood out to me during our recent contract renewal orientation.

Amongst the documents we were given, one of the sections talked about what we should and shouldn't be doing during our work hours at school.  We should be working on our lesson plans (fair enough).  Two examples of things we shouldn't be doing - studying Korean, working on a Masters Degree.  Yikes  :sad: 

Why is that shocking? Employees should be doing things to benefit students rather than themselves during working hours. That is what they’re paid to do.
don't know about you, but it doesn't take me 20 hours a week to plan 4 or 5 40-minute lessons

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #7082 on: December 20, 2019, 10:17:15 am »
don't know about you, but it doesn't take me 20 hours a week to plan 4 or 5 40-minute lessons

Exactly. The Law of Diminishing Returns comes to mind here.

Well, you could spend an extra 8 hours to make your lessons 5% better.

No?
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #7083 on: December 20, 2019, 10:18:11 am »
Why is that shocking? Employees should be doing things to benefit students rather than themselves during working hours. That is what they’re paid to do.

also when im sitting around for 6 hours after my camp class ends (every day for 2 weeks). thats 60 hours i just don't know how to productively fill...

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #7084 on: December 20, 2019, 10:25:05 am »
also when im sitting around for 6 hours after my camp class ends (every day for 2 weeks). thats 60 hours i just don't know how to productively fill...

Exactly, we often use the same books as the year before (this is assuming one has been renewed at the same school).

There's a massive blow to having a huge workload.

Also, we're there alone. There's very little co-ordination with your co-teacher (and that's assuming that you know who your Co-T is, could be someone else you haven't even met yet)

Also, it's 2 months of vacation. That's a long time.

It's not realistic to be productive for even a quarter of that time. ESPECIALLY when the Korean teachers are off gallavanting about.

Sit there and do nothing. It's well earned.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #7085 on: December 20, 2019, 10:30:55 am »
Christ, this is ridiculous. 

Do the powers that be monitor the Korean teachers' online shopping, websurfing, youtube exlporing while at the school? 

Unless you are a public school, in which, as long as you do your job (plan a good lesson, show up on time,  be nice to the kids, etc. etc) and nobody goes out of their way to phuck with you......PS jobs are not much better than being at a hagwon. 

FFS...my last public school job had winter and summer camps...we did not have that many students show up (the ones who didn't regretted it).  So, I only had to be there from 8:30-12:30, for two weeks.  Nobody gave a phuck.  During normal working hours, after planning my lesson and making sure I was sorted out, nobody gave a phuck if I had been spending my time doing online work.......

That was then, this is now....(ha..that book).

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #7086 on: December 20, 2019, 10:32:46 am »
Why are Koreans complaining about NETs not preparing enough? Maybe because the lessons are crap and not as sufficient as the NETs believe them to be. If the NETs really were a valuable asset, there wouldn’t be such a push to remove them / reduce their numbers. Think about that, folks. Have a bit of humility. And look up Dunning-Kruger.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #7087 on: December 20, 2019, 10:41:56 am »
If Korean schools are unhappy with the quality if their NET's lessons, here are a couple of ideas for them:

1)  Give the teachers meaningful feedback about what they're doing wrong and what they can do to improve it throughout the year, rather than saying nothing until the end of the year evaluations and telling teachers who thought they were doing well that they aren't being renewed due to poor scores.

oooooor....

2) Raise the necessary qualifications for NETs, and increase the salaries to reflect that.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #7088 on: December 20, 2019, 10:46:19 am »
Why are Koreans complaining about NETs not preparing enough? Maybe because the lessons are crap and not as sufficient as the NETs believe them to be. If the NETs really were a valuable asset, there wouldn’t be such a push to remove them / reduce their numbers. Think about that, folks. Have a bit of humility. And look up Dunning-Kruger.

if it is the case that the lessons are crap, is the solution to say "work longer, try harder"? it seems like if there was a serious issue with lesson quality, the solution would to be to provide more training (or at the very least identify the quality of teaching as the issue). it seems like more like "this looks bad" kind of thing (though i'm not sure how studying korean looks bad...)

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #7089 on: December 20, 2019, 11:40:24 am »
The older I get, the more I think it is wrong of us to work abroad and help other countries while back home the house is on fire. You are needed here with us.

But perhaps that's just me.
incumbo studiis

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7090 on: December 20, 2019, 11:48:48 am »
why do all the juicy threads get locked? let people have an argument ffs. we're all adults here
Considering that the arguments had basically devolved to name calling and sulking, I'd have to disagree.

A fight-club thread might actually be a great idea! -- although there might have to be like a trigger-warning pop up when you click the thread or something.   :laugh:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7091 on: December 20, 2019, 12:01:22 pm »
yeah let's make a thunderdome sub-forum

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #7092 on: December 20, 2019, 01:39:49 pm »
I’m surprised by how weak the police are:

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=280549

After more than a century, Changwon's most famous ― and infamous ― red-light district faces shutdown.

But the city government's plan to close the brothels, some of which date back to 1905, was never going to be trouble-free, with the lives of many people depending on them.

Instead of taking aggressive action to shut it all down immediately, the city government took a soft approach by trying to set up surveillance cameras in the area in an apparent attempt to keep self-conscious buyers of sex away. But it has so far failed to do so.

On Dec. 10, about 50 officials carrying six surveillance cameras and other necessary equipment met with ferocious protests from brothel owners and employees. They screamed, pushed the officials away and tried to break the ladders; one even threatened to set himself on fire.

In fear of any incident, officials decided to withdraw. It was the third botched attempt in the past two months.

The move comes after the city government formed a special team of officials amid growing calls to remove the brothels in a neighborhood that also has elementary and middle schools and a day care center nearby. Many, especially the parents of children, worry that the brothels and people who work there may have a bad influence on their kids.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7093 on: December 20, 2019, 01:41:42 pm »
one even threatened to set himself on fire.
classic

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #7094 on: December 20, 2019, 05:00:33 pm »

Nah....having NET's (especially the good ones) makes the Koreans look bad...a complete show of loosing face. 

That is what it is...combined with the ineffective teaching schedule, curriculum, large class numbers, expectations of games everyday, horrid Korean co-teachers, a teaching/learning style that is useless for actual communication, Koreans cannot lead by example/offer advice/pointers on teaching..much less come up with an effective lesson plan....and of course, a high level of actual racism. 

So...your "humility" request is obtuse.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 05:04:43 pm by NorthStar »

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #7095 on: December 20, 2019, 06:32:25 pm »
Some Korean teachers actually care about the kids.

A lot do.

That's why they became teachers.

And they work hard.

The homeroom teachers who put in the longest hours, saying the latest, have the most knowledgeable and most well behaved students overall.

The difference is striking.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7096 on: December 20, 2019, 07:44:20 pm »
homeroom teachers care. but generally nobody wants to be the english subject teacher, so they care less (in my experience)

« Reply #7097 on: December 20, 2019, 11:51:52 pm »
I guess I have been super lucky. I have teachers who want to be the English teacher but the principle wants another teacher to do it. Also 2 of my old English co-t are now homeroom teachers and are great. They are great at English and we got along great. I will say they are on the young side and I also had experience coming into this school. Has been a great time with all of them and the homeroom teachers this yr. I will count how lucky I have been and really hope it goes on next yr!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7098 on: December 21, 2019, 04:55:58 am »
Whoever thought it was a good idea to start making towels out of synthetic fibers derived from oil (which repels water) should be whipped with a wet cotton towel.

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #7099 on: December 22, 2019, 10:36:27 am »
The Law of Diminishing Returns comes to mind here.

Well, you could spend an extra 8 hours to make your lessons 5% better.

No?

Korean: "Why are you watching a movie at work?"

CO2: "I don't want to spend eight hours making my lessons 5% better."

Korean: "..."
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ________________

People's self perceptions aren't always accurate - 8 hours, 5% - in fact, they rarely are. So to use the law of diminishing returns as an excuse to goof off rather than work during working hours is not good.

The next person to quote my writing, comment on Dunning-Kruger. Is this a true aspect of human nature? Why or why not? Could it apply to waygook.org posters? Why or why not?