Read 1316702 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7060 on: December 19, 2019, 04:29:52 pm »
Just want to chime in that a compact laptop and a cell with unlimited data is a godsend when you work at 4 different schools, and twice that many classrooms... all of which having computers that seem to take turns in being buggered up somehow.
   Walking in a classroom knowing that you have working internet, functioning powerpoint compatible with all your files, and no USB data protection to muck things up can be very reassuring.
   ... And screw Ahnlab and all it's virus riddled, RAM devouring bloatware ilk. Hard.  >:(

See, being forced to carry my own equipment around to various schools is a huge inconvenience to me. Maybe that's a bigger deal to me than it would be to others since I have a tendency not to go home straight after work, but yeah, I really hate having to bring my own laptop to work.

And that's partly why I spent a lot of my own time learning how to get around and/or uninstall Korean bloatware. If you know your NEIS login credentials, too, you can also download a certificate onto a USB and use that to login to the data protection program so that you can save your work, no problem. Takes 20 seconds to login once you have that.

I've been lucky in that after my first year here all of the schools that I've been assigned to all have working, modern computers that I can tweak well enough to function the way I need them to, and, combined with my USB certificate thingy, I can work on them normally, so I haven't been pushed into survival mode, yet.

Tethering would definitely be the fastest and easiest solution for most people. But I'm super stubborn about stuff like this and I don't want to be forced to use my own money on a recurring cost just for work if I can avoid it. It wouldn't be a big deal if it were something that I wanted or needed for other things anyway, but I've never been a big data user.

EDIT: Also, before someone @'s me over it, I never turn off my data. I just have my phone set up so that no app will automatically update or download anything while on data unless I manually tell it to (otherwise, it just waits for a stable internet connection). I do this mostly to enhance my phone's performance, but obviously the other side of it is to preserve my data. I also block all but a couple of apps from running in the background while not being used. I still play games, browse the internet, chat, use GPS/maps, and everything else on my phone, though, and without ever thinking about how much data I'm using, and I'm still only ever using around 1 GB a month. I just don't stream a lot because I hate watching things on my phone for extended periods. It's uncomfortable for me. Between that and making sure my apps aren't auto-downloading shit, I don't use a lot of data.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:25:48 pm by Chinguetti »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7061 on: December 19, 2019, 05:51:18 pm »
See, being forced to carry my own equipment around to various schools is a huge inconvenience to me. Maybe that's a bigger deal to me than it would be to others since I have a tendency not to go home straight after work, but yeah, I really hate having to bring my own laptop to work.
    Yeah, that makes sense.
    Bringing a laptop is pretty easy for me, as I have a car (which I had to buy because 2 of my schools are so far in the boondocks that there is zero public transit remotely close by  :rolleyes: ). When I'm done school, just toss my crap in the back and roll out!

Also, while I'm great at removing stuff from computers (it was a long and eventful learning process that has left a trail of bricked computers across 3 continents...), because I'm a travelling teacher, many of 'em are shared. I could remove the bloatware, install English language packs, and perform a full exorcism to free the comp from the foul clutches of Mr. Ahn, and it would be returned back to abnormal when I return a week later. Sigh. :sad:

It's not all bad: I may not actually use the school computers for much, but I *have* had full on password-changing fights with whoever it is that sits in my place when I'm not there: there are so many sticky notes with passwords written on them overlapping on the bottom of the keyboard that it rests on the desk at a drunkish angle.  :laugh:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #7062 on: December 20, 2019, 05:48:39 am »
"P.S.CO2, your Facebook isn't as well-hidden as you think it is, bud."

Is this a threat? Who thinks like this? I link my YouTube channel to this site. The channel is my name. It's not a secret.

So what? You're gonna let the world know that I don't think you should judge people by their gender or race? Wow.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 05:55:37 am by CO2 »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7063 on: December 20, 2019, 05:50:02 am »
why do all the juicy threads get locked? let people have an argument ffs. we're all adults here

« Reply #7064 on: December 20, 2019, 06:46:34 am »
why do all the juicy threads get locked? let people have an argument ffs. we're all adults here

On expatkorea (a now disappeared expat site, which I miss) they had a 'Fight Club' thread, where any problems that arose in normal threads would get put down there for a no holds barred, put your dukes up massive punchup.  Makes sense really.  I was never down there because I'm too soft.  :-* Oglop = Bell end.  :angel:

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #7065 on: December 20, 2019, 06:59:47 am »
"P.S.CO2, your Facebook isn't as well-hidden as you think it is, bud."

Is this a threat? Who thinks like this? I link my YouTube channel to this site. The channel is my name. It's not a secret.

So what? You're gonna let the world know that I don't think you should judge people by their gender or race? Wow.

We all have issues but that scab has some serious problems....

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7066 on: December 20, 2019, 07:32:47 am »
Doxxing someone because they called you out on your SJW discriminatory behavior.

Yeah, they seem nice.

A bizarre post originally, followed up by some equally bizarre posts. My guess, bb made another account.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7067 on: December 20, 2019, 07:37:56 am »
Well, ostensibly, at least.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7068 on: December 20, 2019, 07:57:01 am »
Doxxing someone because they called you out on your SJW discriminatory behavior.

:-* Ha, classic thing a person of that race and that gender would do.

:police: Can you not do that?

:-* I know your real name, be careful, buddy!

« Reply #7069 on: December 20, 2019, 08:04:17 am »

Totally the language of a middle-class standroid.  :laugh:

'yah, totally init, brah' would have been better.

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7070 on: December 20, 2019, 08:05:41 am »
Sorry CO2, but you sabotaged your I Have A Dream Moment by disingenuously pretending that NorthStar was "being sympathetic" rather than being a smug prick.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7071 on: December 20, 2019, 08:12:51 am »
Who doesn't have work today? Who's going to sit in his pants playing the ps4 all day? <------ this guy

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7072 on: December 20, 2019, 08:15:20 am »
Sorry CO2, but you sabotaged your I Have A Dream Moment by disingenuously pretending that NorthStar was "being sympathetic" rather than being a smug prick.

That's not how I read it.

"Ouch...though, why didn't you just say "NO"?   

"Well, you post was the best"

I see you point and can empathize but only to an extent.

"But..that is just me."

The parts in red are pretty decent stuff.

People can't come on this site and just expect a "Wow, that's tough. I hope you're better! Stay strong." They also shouldn't expect he opposite, "Wow, you're very weak. Don't be such a *****."

Given all the nightmare crap that Meepmoop wrote, it's only natural to wonder how the heck that they didn't snap. Given their words, it seems like they ate shit for A LONG TIME. It's only natural to wonder why they didn't do SOMETHING that entire time.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7073 on: December 20, 2019, 08:17:40 am »
Who doesn't have work today? Who's going to sit in his pants playing the ps4 all day? <------ this guy

I'm gonna read a Graham Greene book and a Jared Diamond book. Might watch Marriage Story later.

At work. haha

« Reply #7074 on: December 20, 2019, 08:21:50 am »

Episode 5 of 'British Guy in Korea' right here.

Actually, last Saturday I went with my students up to Seoul so they could interview foreigners.  On the bus going there, I was subjected to the torture of watching one of those fokcing programs that make me want to kill myself.  :cry: The one where they have those bunch of cants commenting on somebody doing something inane and boring.  I couldn't get out of it.  This guy came back from holiday so they filmed him driving back from Incheon, then he got home, and they filmed him sleeping, eating noodles, and the worst bit was filming him using his computer for 15 minutes.  Logging into emails, and surfing the internet.  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: The comments coming from those waankers was so effin boring.  fokcs sakes.  God help me.  I will be filming you all day today Oglop, so make sure there are no bollock poppers. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7075 on: December 20, 2019, 08:25:13 am »
watching one of those fokcing programs that make me want to kill myself.

Can a C-List celeb throw a bean bag into a barrel? Find out next on "How to Fill the Void in Your Life," only on SBS!

« Reply #7076 on: December 20, 2019, 08:33:26 am »
watching one of those fokcing programs that make me want to kill myself.

Can a C-List celeb throw a bean bag into a barrel? Find out next on "How to Fill the Void in Your Life," only on SBS!

:laugh: ;D >:( :cry: :cry: :cry:

If the guy was covered in honey and the bean bag was filled with hornets, and the barrel was on fire and he was being chased by a tiger who is best mates with the hornets, I may watch it.  Otherwise is makes the void in my life, becomes a multi-dimensional chasm.

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #7077 on: December 20, 2019, 09:09:11 am »

I'm gonna read a Graham Greene book and a Jared Diamond book. Might watch Marriage Story later.

At work. haha

Right I know I'm being a sh*t-stirrer here but this stood out to me during our recent contract renewal orientation.

Amongst the documents we were given, one of the sections talked about what we should and shouldn't be doing during our work hours at school.  We should be working on our lesson plans (fair enough).  Two examples of things we shouldn't be doing - studying Korean, working on a Masters Degree.  Yikes  :sad: 

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7078 on: December 20, 2019, 09:49:41 am »

Totally the language of a middle-class standroid.  :laugh:

'yah, totally init, brah' would have been better.
Careful, bub.  You're talking to Mulan here.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #7079 on: December 20, 2019, 09:53:38 am »
Right I know I'm being a sh*t-stirrer here but this stood out to me during our recent contract renewal orientation.

Amongst the documents we were given, one of the sections talked about what we should and shouldn't be doing during our work hours at school.  We should be working on our lesson plans (fair enough).  Two examples of things we shouldn't be doing - studying Korean, working on a Masters Degree.  Yikes  :sad: 

Why is that shocking? Employees should be doing things to benefit students rather than themselves during working hours. That is what they’re paid to do.