Read 1150506 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6980 on: November 28, 2019, 10:04:01 am »
I don't get the management structure at schools here at all.

So I know that "points mean promotion" in public schools here but what I didn't know is that a random selection of teachers form a committee and they decide which other teachers get these points.  Shouldn't the head of each department review the teacher's work and rate them?  In my mind, your boss should review your work, not other random teachers who have no idea what you've been doing all year.  Isn't it open to abuse as well?  Cliques can form, favours for best friends can happen.

I can't get my head around this weird, convoluted "game show" way of how promotions and career advancement works here.
yep. i've heard my old co-teachers say this is why the male teachers at elementary schools are generally awful- they put all of their time and effort into trying to kiss everyone's arse (trying to work their way up the food chain) and end up neglecting their actual students. that's why the female teachers have better behaved students- they are generally more concerned about their classes/teaching than trying to suck up to everyone and get promoted, etc

seems like a huge popularity contest. as i've said before, there doesn't seem to be any proper performance reviews for teachers in korea.

« Reply #6981 on: November 28, 2019, 10:09:26 am »
Last year as I have most years, I did the teacher's evaluation thing and while I was sifting through a few pages of comments, I was struck by one student comment which mentioned they felt a little uncomfortable in my class because of my perceived 'white supremacy' - 너무 백인우월주의'.  Obviously, I was a bit miffed, as I teach a wide variety of topics, but in English so feel that is why they felt 'uncomfortable'.  I talked with the other teachers about it and they said not to worry and just ignore comments like this as other teachers never check the anonymous comments because they get much worse from the students.  But still, it got me thinking.

Fast forward to this year, and I was checking through my comments and I saw a comment saying why was I showing Miyazaki animations in class, after the final test in the first week of July, with the Korea/Japan problems.  Again, I was a bit miffed, as now I wouldn't show them because of the possible reaction, but the first week in July?  Obviously, it was the same student and they're entitled to their opinion, so I've no problem with it.  But I suppose it's one of these strange sensitive issues with patriotism/nationalism.   Also, if out of 500 students, there is one student who has these 'ideals', then I don't think you can please everyone the whole time.  It's just hypersensitivity. All the other teachers said ignore it.   :undecided:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6982 on: November 28, 2019, 10:10:32 am »
seems like a huge popularity contest. as i've said before, there doesn't seem to be any proper performance reviews for teachers in korea.

Open Class: Principal, VP and Curriculum Teacher come in for 10 mins, look around, smile and leave.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6983 on: November 28, 2019, 10:13:21 am »
they felt a little uncomfortable in my class because of my perceived 'white supremacy' - 너무 백인우월주의'. 

"In teachers vocab presentations, he uses a lot of pictures of people and none of them are Korean. He is racist."

Hmmmmmmmm, who knew that searching on google in ENGLISH wouldn't result in a deluge of Korean people?

« Reply #6984 on: November 28, 2019, 11:00:58 am »
Gotta wonder what the white-supremacist/ultra-nationalist/super-insecure student's parents are like. Bet that apple is still hanging onto those branches.

Anyway, one thing that I have to struggle with once cold weather sets in is my craving for hot, sweet drinks, and Korea makes them so easy to get.

White mochas, chocolate lattes, caramel macchiatos... one shop has a new caramel chocolate latte that I tried once, and I think I'm addicted.

I try to limit my sweet drink intake to once a week, but I'm so weak during the winter months.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6985 on: November 28, 2019, 11:04:31 am »
Gotta wonder what the white-supremacist/ultra-nationalist/super-insecure student's parents are like. Bet that apple is still hanging onto those branches.

Anyway, one thing that I have to struggle with once cold weather sets in is my craving for hot, sweet drinks, and Korea makes them so easy to get.

White mochas, chocolate lattes, caramel macchiatos... one shop has a new caramel chocolate latte that I tried once, and I think I'm addicted.

I try to limit my sweet drink intake to once a week, but I'm so weak during the winter months.
i'm pretty happy i don't have a sweet tooth for drinks. i like my coffee extremely bitter, just like my heart

« Reply #6986 on: November 28, 2019, 11:10:59 am »
i'm pretty happy i don't have a sweet tooth for drinks. i like my coffee extremely bitter, just like my heart
I wish I could drink my coffee undiluted and filled with the souls of the lost, but:

« Reply #6987 on: November 28, 2019, 11:29:45 am »
Derren Brown being very impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEPNpy_5T24

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6988 on: November 28, 2019, 11:33:40 am »

Yeah, I have NO sweet tooth. I like some really dark chocolate, but that's about it.

My Beer Tooth, however............ ..........

« Reply #6989 on: November 28, 2019, 11:38:51 am »

It's okay, waygook.org user Chinguetti, just remember, when you want something sweet, sugar is literally ________________.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6990 on: November 28, 2019, 01:16:48 pm »

It's okay, waygook.org user Chinguetti, just remember, when you want something sweet, sugar is literally ________________.

The greatest, and most addictive, drug ever made by man? :o

« Reply #6991 on: November 28, 2019, 01:48:34 pm »

The greatest, and most addictive, drug ever made by man? :o

Yeh, I'll give you that. Crack is kind of moreish.  :undecided:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6992 on: November 28, 2019, 02:04:48 pm »
Yeh, I'll give you that. Crack is kind of moreish.  :undecided:

« Reply #6993 on: November 28, 2019, 02:12:14 pm »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6994 on: November 28, 2019, 02:18:24 pm »

:undecided: Even if I hit you really hard............. with wood.

:shocked: WITH WOOD?

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #6995 on: November 29, 2019, 09:54:56 am »
On a scale of 1 to Jim Lahey, guess how drunk I'm getting tonight...

« Reply #6996 on: November 29, 2019, 10:03:36 am »
My dad has decided to come and visit me for Christmas week, which will be lovely and I'm in charge of getting his ticket.  I want him to fly business because he's approaching eighty. But as he only told me last week, I'm struggling to find any business ticket, booked through the airline, for less than 1900 quid (2.9 million won).  I don't trust the third party agent sites, either.  Hmmmm, will give it until Monday and will check a lot of the weekend, but I doubt airlines are going to drop their prices for that week.   :sad:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6997 on: November 29, 2019, 10:15:35 am »
On a scale of 1 to Jim Lahey, guess how drunk I'm getting tonight...

I have Moldovan brandy for tomorrow. I'm getting Spenny sloppy tomorrow.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6998 on: November 30, 2019, 03:10:16 am »
My dad has decided to come and visit me for Christmas week, which will be lovely and I'm in charge of getting his ticket.  I want him to fly business because he's approaching eighty. But as he only told me last week, I'm struggling to find any business ticket, booked through the airline, for less than 1900 quid (2.9 million won).  I don't trust the third party agent sites, either.  Hmmmm, will give it until Monday and will check a lot of the weekend, but I doubt airlines are going to drop their prices for that week.   :sad:

Can he come for longer?

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #6999 on: November 30, 2019, 10:48:43 am »

You could go with a premium economy kind of thing. Asiana has this "Economy Smartium" option that you can purchase as an extra. British got the "world traveller plus". They wouldn't break the bank but offer more comfort, compared to standard economy.