Read 1188449 times

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6960 on: November 18, 2019, 08:09:55 am »
64 days until my family and I leave Korea. Starting to feel real now and I'm realizing I've got tons and tons of shit I need to do in the next two months.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #6961 on: November 18, 2019, 08:19:14 am »
64 days until my family and I leave Korea. Starting to feel real now and I'm realizing I've got tons and tons of shit I need to do in the next two months.

Good luck with that Zola.  It's crazy to think about the amount of stuff that we accumulate over time here and the loose ends to tie up as well, but you have the family to consider too.   :-*

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6962 on: November 18, 2019, 08:43:29 am »
Well Autumn was nice while it lasted.  What did we get this year, about two weeks?  :cry:

In Chungnam, it's lasted a while.  I had yesterday off because I got a discretionary holiday for the uni entrance test, so went for a walk and it was lovely.  Cold, clear, no pollution, leaves turning and sunny.  Lovely walking. 

Yeah I got the day off as well, went out and it felt like the middle of January; bloody freezing in Busan and the same again today.  I was in shorts two weeks ago.

Interesting because this year's autumn is supposed to be slightly warmer than average: the foliage forecasts (as in, when the trees will start turning colours in different regions of Korea, and when the optimal viewing dates are) certainly are for later in the year compared to 2018!

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6963 on: November 18, 2019, 09:44:53 am »

Good luck to you. Assuming I leave at the end of my work contract, I'll still have two months left on the housing contract. It's annoying to have to pay the extra rent without a monthly income, but I actually feel like I'll need that time just to get everything in order.  I'd hate to have to tackle it all while still working full-time.

« Reply #6964 on: November 19, 2019, 08:24:06 am »
My second worst class didn't show up today. I'm pretty sure it's because their KT got the schedule mixed up, and, normally, I'd go hunt them down to find out what's up, but we're finished with the books and their exams are done, sooooooo... I've decided to assume their teacher had other plans for them.

They can watch a movie anywhere, after all.  :undecided:

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #6965 on: November 20, 2019, 08:51:31 pm »
Yeah I got the day off as well, went out and it felt like the middle of January; bloody freezing in Busan and the same again today.  I was in shorts two weeks ago.

You call 15 Degrees Celsius bloody freezing???
http://www.weather.go.kr/weather/climate/past_cal.jsp?stn=159&yy=2019&mm=11&obs=1&x=30&y=11
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:53:51 pm by Lazio »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6966 on: November 21, 2019, 08:23:15 am »

Good luck with that Zola.  It's crazy to think about the amount of stuff that we accumulate over time here and the loose ends to tie up as well, but you have the family to consider too.   :-*

Good luck to you. Assuming I leave at the end of my work contract, I'll still have two months left on the housing contract. It's annoying to have to pay the extra rent without a monthly income, but I actually feel like I'll need that time just to get everything in order.  I'd hate to have to tackle it all while still working full-time.

Thanks. Yeah, So much crap accumulated. Also doesn't help that Korea post doesn't do surface mail shipping to New Zealand anymore. So we either have to air mail or stuff, which is way too expensive, or do it through a shipping agent, which is just another layer of red tape and hassle. Our Jeonse is ending in 3-4 weeks, so here's hoping the return of our money goes smoothly. That's what worries me more than anything.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6967 on: November 21, 2019, 08:34:36 am »
http://www.weather.go.kr/weather/climate/past_cal.jsp?stn=159&yy=2019&mm=11&obs=1&x=30&y=11

I know I'm immune to cold, so I'm pretty lenient when people say it's cold, but if 15 is intolerable to you...........

Like, I don't know what to say. hahaha If you willingly went out in a t-shirt in shorts, sure, but that reflects more poorly on you than on the weather. 

« Reply #6968 on: November 21, 2019, 09:44:35 am »

I know I'm immune to cold, so I'm pretty lenient when people say it's cold, but if 15 is intolerable to you...........

Like, I don't know what to say. hahaha If you willingly went out in a t-shirt in shorts, sure, but that reflects more poorly on you than on the weather. 

Woah hold on, I have to jump in here to clear this up.

On that day I was talking about ("bloody freezing") it was 1 or 2C where I was which is why I was so shocked and posted about it.  I'm sure I don't live in the same place as Lazio.

Two weeks before that day I was walking around in shorts because to me it was still warm.  Sorry for being pedantic but it felt like Lazio and CO2 were ganging up on me there having completely misread/misconstrued my post haha  :laugh:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6969 on: November 21, 2019, 09:54:20 am »
it felt like Lazio and CO2 were ganging up on me there having completely misread/misconstrued my post haha  :laugh:

Sure thing.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/walk%20back

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6970 on: November 21, 2019, 09:56:18 am »
. Our Jeonse is ending in 3-4 weeks, so here's hoping the return of our money goes smoothly. That's what worries me more than anything.
yeah, this sometimes scares the shit out of me. anyway, good luck! let us know how it all goes once you're back

« Reply #6971 on: November 21, 2019, 10:25:59 am »
it felt like Lazio and CO2 were ganging up on me there having completely misread/misconstrued my post haha  :laugh:

Sure thing.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/walk%20back

Lol what??

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6972 on: November 21, 2019, 10:29:24 am »

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #6973 on: November 21, 2019, 06:53:56 pm »

Woah hold on, I have to jump in here to clear this up.

On that day I was talking about ("bloody freezing") it was 1 or 2C where I was which is why I was so shocked and posted about it.  I'm sure I don't live in the same place as Lazio.

Two weeks before that day I was walking around in shorts because to me it was still warm.  Sorry for being pedantic but it felt like Lazio and CO2 were ganging up on me there having completely misread/misconstrued my post haha  :laugh:

You said it was in Busan. The link I gave shows Busan actual measured temperatures for November. Wasn't it the 14th and 15th you were talking about? No ganging up just genuine curiosity. :)

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #6974 on: November 21, 2019, 06:58:23 pm »
. Our Jeonse is ending in 3-4 weeks, so here's hoping the return of our money goes smoothly. That's what worries me more than anything.
yeah, this sometimes scares the shit out of me. anyway, good luck! let us know how it all goes once you're back

Did anyone go with a realtor to look at your place? Anyone made a contract and moving in after you move out? If yes, then it should be fine. If not, you might have a little to worry about but perhaps your landlord is able to give back your jeonse without the new tenant's money. Millions of Koreans live in Jeonse and they don't worry the slightest.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:05:05 pm by Lazio »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6975 on: November 21, 2019, 08:18:47 pm »

Did anyone go with a realtor to look at your place? Anyone made a contract and moving in after you move out? If yes, then it should be fine. If not, you might have a little to worry about but perhaps your landlord is able to give back your jeonse without the new tenant's money. Millions of Koreans live in Jeonse and they don't worry the slightest.
i am 99% sure it will be fine, but you always hear the occasional horror story. it's generally scary just borrowing such a large amount of money tbh

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #6976 on: November 22, 2019, 12:34:11 am »
1. I haven't had a cold day yet this season. Was in shorts on Jeju until December in several years past, am still in shorts mid-afternoon in Gyeongsangnamdo with highs of 18 to 21 c forecasted today and Saturday.

2. I never post to this thread on a Monday. It's Friday now.... Thursday late after midnight 1:30 am... it just seems pointless to be on a Friday pointless thread. Ugh. Er... yeah. Uh. K.

3. Rambling: Throw trash on the sidewalk and ajumma will collect it early in the morn, but dare to deposit trash in the morning and only scowls and yells will meet you. It's the land of 6pm trash what you want but 6am you better trash the proper way!

« Reply #6977 on: November 22, 2019, 09:08:47 am »
You said it was in Busan. The link I gave shows Busan actual measured temperatures for November. Wasn't it the 14th and 15th you were talking about? No ganging up just genuine curiosity. :)

Yeah what a strange day (14th).   I remember checking the temperature on my phone because I was shocked at how cold it was and it was down to 2.  I hid in a coffee shop for an hour to warm up haha!   

« Reply #6978 on: November 28, 2019, 09:03:22 am »
I don't get the management structure at schools here at all.

So I know that "points mean promotion" in public schools here but what I didn't know is that a random selection of teachers form a committee and they decide which other teachers get these points.  Shouldn't the head of each department review the teacher's work and rate them?  In my mind, your boss should review your work, not other random teachers who have no idea what you've been doing all year.  Isn't it open to abuse as well?  Cliques can form, favours for best friends can happen.

I can't get my head around this weird, convoluted "game show" way of how promotions and career advancement works here.

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #6979 on: November 28, 2019, 09:29:59 am »
Yeah it's weird, I don't really get it either. An old co-teacher of mine is currently in Europe for leadership training for 6 months with the goal of eventually becoming a principal. She's a lovely, kind woman but I don't think she could organise a piss up in a brewery ... it's like no one has even had a conversation with her to see if she's fit for the role. I'm honestly baffled.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.