Read 1243354 times

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6900 on: October 29, 2019, 08:37:17 am »
nerd  ;D
I prefer the term "smarter than you".  :P

« Reply #6901 on: November 01, 2019, 08:56:39 am »
So my work computer has been erratically slow. It gets bogged down by programs that have been running for too long (like my browser or powerpoint), and sometimes closing out the programs is not enough. I have to do a full system restart.

Whenever it gets really bad, I do my whole maintenance spiel with cleaning out unnecessary files and running defrags and my standard anti-malware programs. This improves it 150%, but it's temporary, and initially I had to do this maybe once a month. The problem worsened until, eventually, I had to do this once every few days.

I finally got sick enough of it that I decided to risk using a more high-powered anti-malware program (it can also rewrite code, so it acts like a virus itself, and if you're not careful you can end up doing some damage to your software with it).

It found two hidden files that had very strong malware characteristics, which alone doesn't mean much, but after researching the files for a bit I'd decided to quarantine them.

Turns out they were attached to my computer's printer driver, installed by the school itself to monitor what gets printed. And they were EXACTLY what had been turning my computer into a complete douche.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6902 on: November 01, 2019, 09:27:40 am »
So my work computer has been erratically slow. It gets bogged down by programs that have been running for too long (like my browser or powerpoint), and sometimes closing out the programs is not enough. I have to do a full system restart.

Whenever it gets really bad, I do my whole maintenance spiel with cleaning out unnecessary files and running defrags and my standard anti-malware programs. This improves it 150%, but it's temporary, and initially I had to do this maybe once a month. The problem worsened until, eventually, I had to do this once every few days.

I finally got sick enough of it that I decided to risk using a more high-powered anti-malware program (it can also rewrite code, so it acts like a virus itself, and if you're not careful you can end up doing some damage to your software with it).

It found two hidden files that had very strong malware characteristics, which alone doesn't mean much, but after researching the files for a bit I'd decided to quarantine them.

Turns out they were attached to my computer's printer driver, installed by the school itself to monitor what gets printed. And they were EXACTLY what had been turning my computer into a complete douche.
i hear you. at my old school, my school computer was complete shit. so slow. i eventually had had enough and uninstalled all the crap and did a malware scan. suddenly..my computer was so fast! everything worked properly

but the next day, the "computer" women came and reinstalled all the shite again. and....it was back to being unusable.

« Reply #6903 on: November 01, 2019, 09:59:51 am »
How do i feel better about doing nothing at my school? most of the time my co-T leads the class where we were supposed to be doing co teaching. She doesn't even correct their pronunciation, from adding that extra Korean syllable to English words instead she focuses on stupid stuff like singing songs or playing a bingo game before they've properly learnt anything. The only thing i'm allowed to do, as the native teacher is play a game which i rarely get to do, but mainly I'm just walking around keeping the students quiet or telling them to speak after the TV.

Usually I'm thinking I'm here for the money and just go to my happy place, but there are days when it gets to me. I walk around the classroom and barely say a word for four classes of teaching 6th graders. I'm being told about 2 open classes that are going to happen, one were they don't tell us they're showing up, and then a fixed open class. My response today, is that I just don't care. It's unlikely I'll be doing anything anyway. It'll be as usual, she'll make the lesson plan, and tell me what to do which will probably be a silly game at the end for 10 mins.

I wonder how they would feel if a Native English speaker with Korean as a second language came in to their Korean classes with shit Korean pronunciation and tried to pull this shit.

Urg...today is just one of those days and these little things are getting to me.
Just 4 more months at this school. I need a little bit of motivation.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #6904 on: November 01, 2019, 10:18:04 am »
Not sure why I missed these, but found 'Between Two Ferns' on youtube yesterday and found them to be really funny.  Zach Galifianakis interviews famous people in his own way. 

Zach interviews Brad Pitt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnF-zTrHvGs

The one with Obama is also excellent and the Oscars one where he ends up fighting Bradley Cooper.   :laugh:

Netflix put out a Two Ferns movie a few weeks back.  It was alright.  The interviews that are spread out throughout the movie are the best part. 

From the original Funny or Die show the Charlize Theron interview is my favourite.  The first part of the Bruce Willis one where Zach makes fun of him is great, but then Bruce Willis decides he can also pull off dead pan humour and it's cringe inducing. 

« Reply #6905 on: November 01, 2019, 10:38:34 am »
Not sure why I missed these, but found 'Between Two Ferns' on youtube yesterday and found them to be really funny.  Zach Galifianakis interviews famous people in his own way. 

Zach interviews Brad Pitt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnF-zTrHvGs

The one with Obama is also excellent and the Oscars one where he ends up fighting Bradley Cooper.   :laugh:

Netflix put out a Two Ferns movie a few weeks back.  It was alright.  The interviews that are spread out throughout the movie are the best part. 

From the original Funny or Die show the Charlize Theron interview is my favourite.  The first part of the Bruce Willis one where Zach makes fun of him is great, but then Bruce Willis decides he can also pull off dead pan humour and it's cringe inducing. 

Yeh, I watched the film a couple of weeks ago and it's was just kind of 'meh'.  The outtakes at the end were hilarious.   The shorts on youtube are way better.  The Bruce Willis one is excellent.  Would love to see more of the bloopers.  There were a few times when Obama was holding back from cracking up.  'What does it feel like to be the last black president?'

« Reply #6906 on: November 01, 2019, 10:47:28 am »
How do i feel better about doing nothing at my school? most of the time my co-T leads the class where we were supposed to be doing co teaching. She doesn't even correct their pronunciation, from adding that extra Korean syllable to English words instead she focuses on stupid stuff like singing songs or playing a bingo game before they've properly learnt anything. The only thing i'm allowed to do, as the native teacher is play a game which i rarely get to do, but mainly I'm just walking around keeping the students quiet or telling them to speak after the TV.

Usually I'm thinking I'm here for the money and just go to my happy place, but there are days when it gets to me. I walk around the classroom and barely say a word for four classes of teaching 6th graders. I'm being told about 2 open classes that are going to happen, one were they don't tell us they're showing up, and then a fixed open class. My response today, is that I just don't care. It's unlikely I'll be doing anything anyway. It'll be as usual, she'll make the lesson plan, and tell me what to do which will probably be a silly game at the end for 10 mins.

I wonder how they would feel if a Native English speaker with Korean as a second language came in to their Korean classes with shit Korean pronunciation and tried to pull this shit.

Urg...today is just one of those days and these little things are getting to me.
Just 4 more months at this school. I need a little bit of motivation.

I can sympathize. I've been teaching here for a while, and in my first couple of years, I often found myself in the exact same situation. At lot of the time, it's because the Korean teachers think we're inexperienced and kind of useless - which in a lot of cases is true, especially for the former. In the past few years, as I've gotten better at teaching, more assertive, and also older (kind of a big one), I manage, lead, and organize all of my classes and my coteachers just go along with it, because it's easier for them. I send them a file and maybe one or two sentences about what we'll do, they say 'okay' and then we just do it. Every school is different, but I've worked at three schools and it takes time to get to the point where the Korean teachers are following you and not the other way around. It doesn't just happen instantly.

In the meantime, enjoy the fact that you're not having to burn yourself out.

« Reply #6907 on: November 01, 2019, 11:28:29 am »

I can sympathize. I've been teaching here for a while, and in my first couple of years, I often found myself in the exact same situation. At lot of the time, it's because the Korean teachers think we're inexperienced and kind of useless - which in a lot of cases is true, especially for the former. In the past few years, as I've gotten better at teaching, more assertive, and also older (kind of a big one), I manage, lead, and organize all of my classes and my coteachers just go along with it, because it's easier for them. I send them a file and maybe one or two sentences about what we'll do, they say 'okay' and then we just do it. Every school is different, but I've worked at three schools and it takes time to get to the point where the Korean teachers are following you and not the other way around. It doesn't just happen instantly.

In the meantime, enjoy the fact that you're not having to burn yourself out.
[/quote]

I've been teaching for several years, and they knew this when they hired me. But from the start this was all I was allowed to do. I tried to change it, but to no avail. I've run my classes for 7 years even in my first year, this is the first time I'm experiencing this. It feels like shit.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 11:32:42 am by wherever dreaming goes »

« Reply #6908 on: November 01, 2019, 12:59:02 pm »
I've been teaching for several years, and they knew this when they hired me. But from the start this was all I was allowed to do. I tried to change it, but to no avail. I've run my classes for 7 years even in my first year, this is the first time I'm experiencing this. It feels like shit.

Same as me about five years ago.  Had been in the same city for about seven years, then was moved to an elementary and I had that thing at both my schools.  Both were either end of the spectrum.  One co-teacher just sat in his chair and worked from the tv, but on the whole the students were well-behaved but he was awful when he lost his temper, which happened over stupid tiny things.  He told me just to sit at the back and do nothing, which I did.  The other was a crap co-teacher who was so fukcing awful, but it wasn't her fault, just someone who seemed to apply to be a teacher on a day when no one else did.  I did like you, just repeat shit stood by the tv and various other pointless jobs.  Both were soul-destroying in different ways, but thankfully I made my exit after eight months.  I wouldn't still be teaching here now if I was still doing it this way.  So I totally understand, you've got a lot of experience, you know how to keep the students engaged and active, you can control and lead classes and then all of that is for nothing and it's stupidly frustrating.  When I came to that elementary, the principal who I knew well, was really happy he had someone with a good reputation and experience like me, but it wasn't really my place to complain directly to him.  I think most other teachers knew she was crap, but that didn't really help me. 

On a positive note, it is Friday today!  :laugh: :-*

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6909 on: November 01, 2019, 01:03:13 pm »
I work on Saturdays.  :sad:

« Reply #6910 on: November 01, 2019, 01:11:12 pm »
I work on Saturdays.  :sad:

You dancing around in your pig costume handing out flyers for 'Jurrasic Pork' is your choice, buster!  Baloney to you, Ham-ish!  Pull your pork back in. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6911 on: November 01, 2019, 01:18:38 pm »
"Pull your pork back in. "
 :huh: :shocked:

That's udderly fowl. Porkographic, even.
I'm calling the mods!  >:(

« Reply #6912 on: November 01, 2019, 01:32:49 pm »
i hear you. at my old school, my school computer was complete shit. so slow. i eventually had had enough and uninstalled all the crap and did a malware scan. suddenly..my computer was so fast! everything worked properly

but the next day, the "computer" women came and reinstalled all the shite again. and....it was back to being unusable.

You'd think that if they're going to be installing all of this virulent crap on these computers that they'd at least invest in computers with more than the cheapest processor and minimal RAM.

When I first got here, the computer that was assigned to me only had 1 GB of RAM. Just 1. And it only had the capacity to support 2 GBs altogether. I don't even remember the processor, but it was fairly low-end.

POS was impossible to work with, why even assign it to anyone? They had so much shit installed on it that it couldn't support more than a MS document.

I purposely kept bricking the ****** thing until they finally gave me one of their "newer" computers with the standard 4 GB.

Just asinine.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 01:50:15 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #6913 on: November 01, 2019, 02:00:58 pm »
So, the air pollution is back, all the windows are shut... the air purifier doesn't work, neither do the fans.
The aircon works, but releases a pungent fart smell. During lunch, everyone had the genius idea of moving dirty wet mops
all over the place, not to be confused with actually moping. The wet floors are slowly drying.

I'm inhaling:

- The carbon dioxide of 28 students who probably haven't removed their hoodies and jackets since Monday
- The musty dampness of wet floors
- The fart smell from the aircon
- The smell of sewage from the perpetually clogged toilets down the hall

For a man who grew up along the coast, smelling the fresh Atlantic sea-breeze, this is absolute hell.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #6914 on: November 01, 2019, 02:20:02 pm »
we're going full windows open over here. pick your poison i guess..

« Reply #6915 on: November 06, 2019, 07:44:22 am »
My school consists of three buildings.  Today, I got into school at 7:15am, and as I got out of the car the fire alarm was ringing in the building with the library in it.  It's really quite loud.  So I think 'hmmm, what should I do?  So I walk around to see if there is a problem in that building.  Then, I go to the 'Security' nightwatchman's office and knock on his door.  He comes to the door and I tell him that the emergency bell is going off in the other building.  Thing is, that bell makes all the security lights flash all around the school.  He seems surprised that something is wrong.  I can hear this bell even near his office.  So we both traipse over to that building, he turns off the alarm and then and we go up to the fourth floor, he pulls out a chair with casters on and I hold it while he pulls off one of those things on the ceiling with the red light on, telling me that is the problem.  Job done.  Then we go on our way.  I have no idea how long that alarm would have been going on for, but I imagine it could have been some time.  I don't get the passivity of it all. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #6916 on: November 06, 2019, 07:57:41 am »
My school consists of three buildings.  Today, I got into school at 7:15am, and as I got out of the car the fire alarm was ringing in the building with the library in it.  It's really quite loud.  So I think 'hmmm, what should I do?  So I walk around to see if there is a problem in that building.  Then, I go to the 'Security' nightwatchman's office and knock on his door.  He comes to the door and I tell him that the emergency bell is going off in the other building.  Thing is, that bell makes all the security lights flash all around the school.  He seems surprised that something is wrong.  I can hear this bell even near his office.  So we both traipse over to that building, he turns off the alarm and then and we go up to the fourth floor, he pulls out a chair with casters on and I hold it while he pulls off one of those things on the ceiling with the red light on, telling me that is the problem.  Job done.  Then we go on our way.  I have no idea how long that alarm would have been going on for, but I imagine it could have been some time.  I don't get the passivity of it all. 

r/madlads
William Sanzinger Killed Poor Hattie Carroll

« Reply #6917 on: November 06, 2019, 08:10:54 am »

r/madlads

r/whatcouldgowrong

Is this you CO2?

I have had a number of job interviews recently that went poorly and did not result in securing employment.

I started to think I needed to do something during an interview to really stand out, be impressive, unique, and highly memorable. I thought it could be risky, but might work out.

I came up with the following idea: After concluding the interview, after the hand shakes, etc, when leaving the room stop, turn around, and say "There's one more thing you need to know about me."

Then pull out a bottle of hot sauce, down the entire bottle, slam it onto the ground and say "I can handle the heat." Nod confidently, leave the room.

Boom.

I imagined that they would be really impressed and wowed by such a performance.

Well it didn't pan out like I thought it would. It was only a small bottle of hot sauce, I figured it would be no big deal to actually do. I should have tested at home first, but I didn't.

I was nervous as a bitch-ass during the interview, but I was determined to follow through with the plan.

So I started exactly as described above. I was leaving, I turned around, maybe not with as much swagger as I'd imagined in my head, and I declared "There's one more thing you need to know about me."

I pulled out the hot sauce bottle, almost dropped it, and started to open the bottle. In my head it was all one quick confident motion, like an electric Indiana Jones, but instead I fumbled around and had a tough time getting it open. It felt like a nightmarish eternity but was probably only about 20 seconds. Enough time for one of the interviewers to ask me what I was doing.

I didn't answer directly. Instead, after I got the bottle open, I repeated "There's one more thing you need to know about me." (But stuttering.)

Then I guzzled down the entire bottle of hot sauce. I instantly regretted it. My mouth and throat felt like lava was swirling around inside me. I immediately started to gag and loudly cough, I was crying involuntarily. Tears hardcore streaming down my face. I was sweating like a terrible fool.

I desperately tried to scream "I can handle the heat" but just kept coughing before I could get anything out.

The interviewers were all standing up looking at me in horror and confusion.

A few seconds before I threw up all over the floor I knew it would happen, but I tried to hold it back. I couldn't.

I threw up all over the floor. It hurt as much on the way out as it did on the way in, if not more so. The vomit felt like flaming barbed wire shredding its way through my neck.

I should mention a disturbing amount of fiery mucus was also leaking out of my nose uncontrollably.

After I finished throwing up I could not bear to look at the interviewers. I hoarsely mumbled an apology and started to stumble as quickly as possible out the door.

I have never been more shamed in my life.

I didn't get the job.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/2vdwtw/tifu_by_drinking_an_entire_bottle_of_louisiana/

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #6918 on: November 06, 2019, 08:48:51 am »

Is this you CO2?

No, that's not me. I would have used WAY stronger hot sauce.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #6919 on: November 07, 2019, 11:55:17 am »
The largest mural in Canada has just been completed in Sudbury, ON on the exterior of St Joseph's Hospital.

https://justrealnews.ca/2019/08/28/sudbury-now-home-to-canadas-largest-mural/