Read 1063954 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6880 on: October 14, 2019, 11:24:53 am »
Forgot my lunch, was trying to avoid going out to buy anything, but I'm too hungry today. Now I'm trying to decide if I should spend a little time getting something decent, or do a quick hop into a convenience store.

Where are all these GS25s selling Ben & Jerry's ice cream? Seems like this is only happening in Seoul.

I'd kill for a cookie dough pint.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #6881 on: October 14, 2019, 12:10:24 pm »
I have a sweater I need to wash, but I have no idea what settings to use on my Korean washer. The instructions are "Machine wash warm separately, delicate cycle." I know 온수 and 냉수 are hot and cold, but would 온수  be a bad idea for something that's supposed to be "warm?" Also, what's the korean equivalent of the delicate cycle? I've seen pictures of some korean washers with a "lingerie" setting, but mine doesn't have that. I only have...

표준 (standard)
이불 (blankets)
절약 (eco/saving)
울 (wool)
불림 (soak)

So uh... what?

The sweater is 55% cotton, 35% nylon, 10% acrylic, if that helps at all.

« Reply #6882 on: October 14, 2019, 12:42:32 pm »
I have a sweater I need to wash, but I have no idea what settings to use on my Korean washer. The instructions are "Machine wash warm separately, delicate cycle." I know 온수 and 냉수 are hot and cold, but would 온수  be a bad idea for something that's supposed to be "warm?" Also, what's the korean equivalent of the delicate cycle? I've seen pictures of some korean washers with a "lingerie" setting, but mine doesn't have that. I only have...

표준 (standard)
이불 (blankets)
절약 (eco/saving)
울 (wool)
불림 (soak)

So uh... what?

Before you even think about settings, put it in a mesh laundry bag. These are available literally everywhere and are super cheap and will keep your sweater from getting all twisted and tangled and stretching the arms out.

Then wash it on the wool setting. That's for sweaters. It's also the most delicate cycle (aside from soak, which doesn't actually do anything other than soak and spin dry).

« Reply #6883 on: October 14, 2019, 12:44:35 pm »

표준 (standard)
이불 (blankets)
절약 (eco/saving)
울 (wool)
불림 (soak)

So uh... what?

Alternatively, just put a tiny bit of laundry detergent in your sink or bathtub, or in a big bowl, and just hand wash it. This will actually be a lot gentler on your sweater, but it's a bit more work.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #6884 on: October 14, 2019, 12:54:35 pm »
Good lookin' out.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6885 on: October 14, 2019, 01:25:27 pm »
yeah i'd hand wash it and then just do a spin cycle in the washing machine to get the excess water out

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6886 on: October 14, 2019, 04:54:13 pm »

표준 (standard)
이불 (blankets)
절약 (eco/saving)
울 (wool)
불림 (soak)

So uh... what?

Is your washing machine the front-loading type or the top-loading type? On my washing machine (top-loading), "섬세" is the delicate cycle setting.

« Reply #6887 on: October 15, 2019, 09:55:57 am »
Crap!  Just practicing for the before mentioned pop song contest that I'll do next week with some of my teachers.  I got volunteered to sing the first part of 'Let it be' solo, which I'm cool with.  But for some reason, I don't seem to be hitting the higher notes properly and I'm going out of key.   :sad:  Not sure why, singing louder doesn't seem to make it better.  It just feels like my throat is dry and not really limbered up.  Anyone have any hints for getting the vocal chords in tune?  Bar, a couple of bottles of 'Lin'....

« Reply #6888 on: October 15, 2019, 10:12:06 am »
Back when I was in choir and I got suckered into going from soprano 2 to soprano 1, I just drank a lot of water and did at least 30 minutes of vocal exercises everyday, lol.

« Reply #6889 on: October 15, 2019, 10:56:53 am »
Back when I was in choir and I got suckered into going from soprano 2 to soprano 1, I just drank a lot of water and did at least 30 minutes of vocal exercises everyday, lol.

Maybe that's what I'm going to have to do.  I was wondering if anyone had any special ideas like drinks or candy or something that can limber up the vocal chords quicker...

« Reply #6890 on: October 15, 2019, 11:01:55 am »
Crap!  Just practicing for the before mentioned pop song contest that I'll do next week with some of my teachers.  I got volunteered to sing the first part of 'Let it be' solo, which I'm cool with.  But for some reason, I don't seem to be hitting the higher notes properly and I'm going out of key.   :sad:  Not sure why, singing louder doesn't seem to make it better.  It just feels like my throat is dry and not really limbered up.  Anyone have any hints for getting the vocal chords in tune?  Bar, a couple of bottles of 'Lin'....

Hi! A former professional musical performer here! My best advice would be warm tea with lemon and honey, or a ginger lozenge even,  to lubricate the chords, and vocal exercises (as Chinguetti mentioned) done with some sort of track or accompaniment to check your pitch.  Also, BREATHING is the most important when performing. Breathing deeply enough to support a singing voice can be difficult at first. It helps if you try to plie (or squat) when singing to help master a more useful breathing pattern. I would offer to show you, but it's rather awkward to look at. I'm sure there are video on YouTube that could help guide you through some proper breathing and singing warmups.  I hope this helps!

« Reply #6891 on: October 15, 2019, 11:07:58 am »
before mentioned pop song contest that I'll do next week with some of my teachers. 

That honestly sounds terrible. I don't know how some of you people get suckered into these things.

« Reply #6892 on: October 15, 2019, 11:18:27 am »

Hi! A former professional musical performer here! My best advice would be warm tea with lemon and honey, or a ginger lozenge even,  to lubricate the chords, and vocal exercises (as Chinguetti mentioned) done with some sort of track or accompaniment to check your pitch.  Also, BREATHING is the most important when performing. Breathing deeply enough to support a singing voice can be difficult at first. It helps if you try to plie (or squat) when singing to help master a more useful breathing pattern. I would offer to show you, but it's rather awkward to look at. I'm sure there are video on YouTube that could help guide you through some proper breathing and singing warmups.  I hope this helps!

:-*  Just the kind of thing I'm looking for.  Will try that with my practicing!!

before mentioned pop song contest that I'll do next week with some of my teachers. 

That honestly sounds terrible. I don't know how some of you people get suckered into these things.

Like I mentioned before, I'm up for these things that push me out of my comfort zone.  Makes every day a little different.  If you don't try, then you'll never know, kind of thing.  When I get much older, I can look back and think about these things, and as this is probably my last year it's make memories for me and what's the worse that can happen?  Students will think it's funny, the other teachers will too.  Nothing to lose.  I get that it's an individual preference, and that's cool too.   :undecided:

« Reply #6893 on: October 25, 2019, 08:42:23 am »
Hermgheh

Didn't sleep last night. Glad it's Friday, but I'm dreading my first class. I'm hoping the dreary weather will kill all of the "Fire Friday" vibes they normally throw at me.

Just be chill, kids. Please just be chill.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6894 on: October 25, 2019, 08:45:57 am »
Just be chill, kids. Please just be chill.

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6895 on: October 25, 2019, 12:20:50 pm »
It got ****** sunny all of a sudden and breathed new life into these kids. I feel like I just parted the Red Sea with a shot glass.

Lunch is wait too short today.

Well, joke's on them, I just drank way too much coffee.

« Reply #6896 on: October 25, 2019, 01:00:25 pm »
It got ****** sunny all of a sudden and breathed new life into these kids. I feel like I just parted the Red Sea with a shot glass.

:laugh:

Let's change places.  I have my singing in front of 500 students in a bit.   :huh:

:cry:

:afro:

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #6897 on: October 25, 2019, 01:17:30 pm »

One of my best memories was during my first year in Korea, one of the substitute teachers (another young guy), and myself, were asked to perform a song for the school on some talent show day.
I can't remember the song, it was a K-pop song by Infinite I think, but we both did a pretty decent job. He was a good singer and I added some spice on electric guitar... Yes, I did a solo.

Then again, I remember some poor teacher who, on his very first day, was made to sing his countries national anthem to the whole school... with no accompaniment. 

« Reply #6898 on: October 25, 2019, 03:27:09 pm »

One of my best memories was during my first year in Korea, one of the substitute teachers (another young guy), and myself, were asked to perform a song for the school on some talent show day.
I can't remember the song, it was a K-pop song by Infinite I think, but we both did a pretty decent job. He was a good singer and I added some spice on electric guitar... Yes, I did a solo.

This is one big plus point I give Korea.  They do a good, positive audience.  I'm still a little pumped now as the reaction of the 500 students really stunned me.  I sang the first part solo really well, as in, I remembered all the words and I was in tune.  Then, when the other teachers joined me on stage during the song, there was more loud cheering from the students.  What I remember most is seeing a sea of 500 students, all swaying their arms and joining in the singing.  Good times!!  Also, I made the principal and other participating teachers personalised t-shirts,  on the back was their nicknames/pictures for them, too.  On the front, it spelt out, L-E-T IT B-E-!-! when we stood together, and they can all keep them as a souvenir!!  We took a group photo at the end too.  As we have a video club activity group, it was all taped too.  Will get a copy. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:30:51 pm by Ronnie Omelettes »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6899 on: October 25, 2019, 04:54:11 pm »

christ. you too? long afternoon indeed