Read 1069898 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6860 on: September 30, 2019, 08:22:15 am »
Was in Shinchon yesterday, and outside U-Plex there was a Japanese guy and girl in their twenties, stood there with a notepad saying 'Free Hugs'  and on the other page it said 'We are Japanese'.  Props to them for trying something like that in the current climate.   :-*

so.. did u hug them?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6861 on: September 30, 2019, 08:25:07 am »
Did you know that French fries are actually just deep fried potatoes?
Allegedly. Knowing how fast-food franchises work, I have my doubts.

Was in Shinchon yesterday, and outside U-Plex there was a Japanese guy and girl in their twenties, stood there with a notepad saying 'Free Hugs'  and on the other page it said 'We are Japanese'.  Props to them for trying something like that in the current climate.   :-*
so.. did u hug them?
Yeah he did, but he had to chase them for a while first.   :smiley:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:26:51 am by kyndo »

« Reply #6862 on: September 30, 2019, 08:40:18 am »

so.. did u hug them?

See, I was torn.  If I hugged him, it'd look a bit weird.  And if I hugged his girlfriend, it might make him jealous.  Then, it'd be the start of a Britain/Japan war.  And we don't want that. 

Yeah he did, but he had to chase them for a while first.   :smiley:

So that was you in the pig costume handing out flyers for a 'samkyopsal' restaurant?  Man, these F-visas and their money-making schemes.

« Reply #6863 on: September 30, 2019, 08:51:57 am »

so.. did u hug them?

See, I was torn.  If I hugged him, it'd look a bit weird.  And if I hugged his girlfriend, it might make him jealous.  Then, it'd be the start of a Britain/Japan war.  And we don't want that. 

you goober, you should've hugged both of them. its FREE!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6864 on: September 30, 2019, 09:03:33 am »
So that was you in the pig costume handing out flyers for a 'samkyopsal' restaurant?  Man, these F-visas and their money-making schemes.
What? You need an F-visa to hustle pork these days? Man... glad you couldn't see my face to ID me!
   Also, I gotta say, that was a primo tackle that netted you that second hug!

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #6865 on: September 30, 2019, 09:29:03 am »

There was another kid in Gwanghwamun with a sign saying he was half Japanese asking for hugs. Maybe they're going to become a fixture like those moving statues. Did I give him a hug? no, tired of people drawing attention to their uninteresting identities.

« Reply #6866 on: September 30, 2019, 10:58:11 am »
I was followed by three people wearing big, plushy animal costumes while in Seomyeon (Busan) a couple of years ago. They were ambushing random people with hugs, and for some reason they were especially obsessed with me and kept tackling me with hugs for about 15-20 minute. Like I'd think they were done with me because they'd run off to hassle other people, but then I'd turn a corner and there they were again, bopping into me for a weird group hug, lol.

« Reply #6867 on: September 30, 2019, 11:00:04 am »

so.. did u hug them?

On Saturday, I also noticed Son Heung Min and Maya Yoshida having a laugh and a chat together coming out of the tunnel before Spurs played Southampton.   :huh:

Oh, dangerous...   :shocked:

« Reply #6868 on: September 30, 2019, 12:39:25 pm »
Feeling a lot more relaxed at the start of this week as compared to last week. Still the same amount of work, but I feel like people are giving me a lot more space, and that makes a huge difference.

I love these students, but I swear to gawd some days they make me want to body slam a table.

« Reply #6869 on: October 01, 2019, 10:08:58 am »
My school has a pop song contest in four weeks.  Usually, the 1st graders do a Korean song and up until last year, the 2nd graders did a Japanese song.  But, surprise surprise it's been changed to an English pop song due the unpopularity of the Japanese.  :rolleyes: So my co-teacher said she wanted me to sing a song by myself.  I said why not together and she was adamant that was not going to happen.   :rolleyes:  So now I'm torn as to whether I should do it.  I like to do things that take me out of my comfort zone, like doing the dancing for the English festival.  So am wondering.   :undecided:  Thought maybe 'Imagine' and dress up like John Lennon.   :undecided:  Obviously has to be a song that Koreans know.  I'd try 'Hey Jude' but it's a bit high and too long.   :undecided:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6870 on: October 01, 2019, 10:30:15 am »
I'd try 'Hey Jude' but it's a bit high and too long.   :undecided:

Singing Nan na na na na na solo for 2 mins straight would be so awkward and hilarious.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #6871 on: October 01, 2019, 10:52:53 am »
"We Will Rock You"? Get the kids clapping and stamping in unison! If it works it would be very memorable  8)
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #6872 on: October 01, 2019, 11:43:29 am »
"We Will Rock You"? Get the kids clapping and stamping in unison! If it works it would be very memorable  8)

But make sure you don't get all butt hurt if they don't like it, and come on here complaining that Korean kids can't handle classic rock,

« Reply #6873 on: October 01, 2019, 02:58:13 pm »
I'd try 'Hey Jude' but it's a bit high and too long.   :undecided:

Singing Nan na na na na na solo for 2 mins straight would be so awkward and hilarious.

Things have moved along.  My co-teacher in charge of it had talked to my principal (who is ace) and he wanted all the teachers to sing a song together, one that also involved the students joining in.  My school has about 500 students.  So I told her why not do 'Let It Be'.  I'll start singing it solo and then the other teachers can join me one by one and sing with me.  By the end, there'll be 5 teachers plus the principal.  I even mentioned during the instrumental break we throw out haribo or something out to the students.  Instant winner!!   :laugh:

« Reply #6874 on: October 04, 2019, 09:20:08 am »
 I get the feeling that 수능 (University Entrance Test) could be rendered irrelevant fairly soon.  I say this as the number of students who are relying on it to enter university is dropping each year.   At my high school three years ago, the ratio of 정시/수시 (Uni test/Uni interview) was 60/40.  Last year, it was 40/60.  This year it is 10/90.  Obviously, this must be reflected by the entrance requirements of universities.  If more universities are using the student's school records and interviews to admit students, then that means students are turning away from the stupid stress of the university test.  Which makes sense.  Just something that I've noticed.   :undecided:

« Reply #6875 on: October 11, 2019, 07:25:16 am »
It's weird.  Working in high school, I've worked with one co-teacher who students thought was incompetent.  Thing is, I found out that he used to be a German teacher about 15 or so years ago, then changed to be an English teacher, I suppose as German is not taught as much if at all.  Then talking with my headteacher last week, I found out that my new VP used to be a German teacher and then changed to teaching Japanese.  It can't be that simple surely especially if you want to be a competent teacher.   :undecided:

« Reply #6876 on: October 11, 2019, 08:31:59 am »
Was surprised to find that there are no less than 5 metal covers for "Baby Shark" on youtube.

« Reply #6877 on: October 11, 2019, 08:33:18 am »
Was surprised to find that there are no less than 5 metal covers for "Baby Shark" on youtube.

yeah but how many ska covers? trap remixes?

« Reply #6878 on: October 11, 2019, 08:41:50 am »

yeah but how many ska covers? trap remixes?

2 on ska, and it goes on with trap remixes.

They've also got reggae, banda, and a ton of others.

« Reply #6879 on: October 14, 2019, 06:43:10 am »
Not sure why I missed these, but found 'Between Two Ferns' on youtube yesterday and found them to be really funny.  Zach Galifianakis interviews famous people in his own way. 

Zach interviews Brad Pitt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnF-zTrHvGs

The one with Obama is also excellent and the Oscars one where he ends up fighting Bradley Cooper.   :laugh: