Read 1063957 times

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6840 on: September 18, 2019, 04:10:15 pm »
Thank yous can be weird in Korea, across the age range. When I first came here I bought my at the time, soon to be Mother in law some gifts. I put a lot of thought into them with help from my wife. MIL accepted them as though I was passing her some junk mail i'd retrieved from her post box. A passing glance, what amounted to a "yeah cheers", and put them on a shelf where they sat for the duration of our stay.

Then for a few years every Chuseok the foreign faculty would put some money in to buy some thing for our 2 direct bosses in our department. Every year the gifts were received as though they were completely expected, zero gratitude. I stopped contributing money to that after a while.

When my wife first met my siblings when we visited back home, my sister bought her a bouquet of flowers as like a welcome gesture. My wife also received them as though it were the most natural expectation in the world that someone would give her flowers. "Mmmm...thanks". I know how my wife is, but i could see my sister was a little taken aback how nonchalant my wife seemed. I know she was moved by it, but still she didn't show the gratitude to the person who gave the gift to her.

So i can imagine kids here following that lead. It does seem to be a cultural reaction to not show too much emotion when receiving gifts.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6841 on: September 19, 2019, 08:22:01 am »
It's starting to get dark sooner, too. Almost time for pumpkin pies.

Not pumpkin!!!! D:
(Yet another food that makes me barf). I remember on the KTX my first year, this old Korean man came and sat next to me. He either had dried pumpkin or persimmon, I think it was pumpkin though. He offered me some, and I politely declined, and used my translator app to say: I'm allergic. After I turned away, he forced some into my mouth, which made me insta-vomit right on him.
(I'm not allergic to pumpkin, it's just another food that makes me feel sick really easy if I can taste it).

« Reply #6842 on: September 19, 2019, 10:39:15 am »
It's starting to get dark sooner, too. Almost time for pumpkin pies.

Not pumpkin!!!! D:
(Yet another food that makes me barf). I remember on the KTX my first year, this old Korean man came and sat next to me. He either had dried pumpkin or persimmon, I think it was pumpkin though. He offered me some, and I politely declined, and used my translator app to say: I'm allergic. After I turned away, he forced some into my mouth, which made me insta-vomit right on him.
(I'm not allergic to pumpkin, it's just another food that makes me feel sick really easy if I can taste it).

Imagine someone telling you they are allergic to the food you just offered them and then the first thought that comes into your head is to shove some into their mouth. wtf

I often say to people I don't drink and then they pour me a soju like I'm suddenly going to start necking shots of soju and getting my top off on the bar like I'm in Coyote Ugly.
Who is here in 2019?

• AMDC
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2018, 08:00:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6843 on: September 19, 2019, 12:20:05 pm »
he forced some into my mouth

dear god

« Reply #6844 on: September 19, 2019, 02:25:51 pm »
It always used to be the case that teachers, who were parents, could be in the same school as their children, but they were not allowed to teach them.  Which makes sense.  But I was talking with the Korean teacher now and she said from last year because of something that happened in Seoul it is now illegal for teachers to have their kids in the same school as them.  I can see the reasons why and why not, but in small towns and cities it makes it very difficult because I teach this teacher's daughter in my evening class on Monday at the middle school and was wondering if she would come to my school next year as she is very smart.  But was told it is now impossible.   I've found pretty much all the teachers I've worked with to be impeccable when it comes to their behaviour with these kinds of things.  Fukcing competitive Seoul wnakers messing it all up.   :undecided:

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #6845 on: September 19, 2019, 02:49:41 pm »
It always used to be the case that teachers, who were parents, could be in the same school as their children, but they were not allowed to teach them.  Which makes sense.  But I was talking with the Korean teacher now and she said from last year because of something that happened in Seoul it is now illegal for teachers to have their kids in the same school as them.  I can see the reasons why and why not, but in small towns and cities it makes it very difficult because I teach this teacher's daughter in my evening class on Monday at the middle school and was wondering if she would come to my school next year as she is very smart.  But was told it is now impossible.   I've found pretty much all the teachers I've worked with to be impeccable when it comes to their behaviour with these kinds of things.  Fukcing competitive Seoul wnakers messing it all up.   :undecided:

There were many cases, one of the more recent and publicised scandals happened last year:
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20181113000734

I'm pretty sure it happens everywhere. I've been told that positions in the administrative offices of high-schools are highly sort after; parents will get their kids into the schools they work at then leak exam papers to them.
Right now, Moon is undergoing more criticism after appointing a guy embroiled in a similar scandal as one of his ministers. The minister in question got his daughters into one of the SKY universities through influence and bribes.

Korea was and always will be infamous for cheating, particularly in sports and academics.

« Reply #6846 on: September 19, 2019, 03:16:45 pm »

There were many cases, one of the more recent and publicised scandals happened last year:
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20181113000734

I'm pretty sure it happens everywhere. I've been told that positions in the administrative offices of high-schools are highly sort after; parents will get their kids into the schools they work at then leak exam papers to them.
Right now, Moon is undergoing more criticism after appointing a guy embroiled in a similar scandal as one of his ministers. The minister in question got his daughters into one of the SKY universities through influence and bribes.

Korea was and always will be infamous for cheating, particularly in sports and academics.

That'll be one.  Obviously, things have to be straight policy-wise for the whole of Korea, but to me it's unsurprising it was in somewhere like Gangnam.  Thing is, in small cities like mine, there are only 3 good high schools and the teachers spend their whole educational career moving between the three, so basically they know every single other teacher in the city.  So getting hold of the questions for a particular test wouldn't be that hard if they tried. 

Which kind of shows Korea's stupid reactionary policies sometimes.  This is like needing criminal checks after the Christopher Neil thing years ago.  It wouldn't have mattered to him, as his record was clean.  A criminal check for immigration is fine, but don't introduce it as a way to try and 'fix' this kind of problem. 

The teachers and kids in the same school isn't going to fix this problem in the Korean education, it just looks like they give a crap.  Like you said, cheating is rife, but this isn't going to fix it. 

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6847 on: September 19, 2019, 03:33:49 pm »
When's DeMartino coming back?
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6848 on: September 20, 2019, 07:04:32 am »
Really love some of the Korean onomatopoeic expressions that I've been finding out recently while doing my lesson planning for my reading class with my students.  Things like....

탁탁하는 소리 - crackle.  Like the crackle of the fire.
뽀드득 - crunching.  Like the crunching of snow underfoot. 
우르릉 - rumbling.  Like the rumbling of an earthquake

then some that I've been using for ages but not really knowing that I use them

뽀글뽀글
치카치카

« Reply #6849 on: September 20, 2019, 07:38:22 am »
When's DeMartino coming back?

I miss D'tino, too..

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6850 on: September 20, 2019, 07:42:44 am »
His warning level is still over 50%. I guess he'll come back when it's below 40, which I think is when the mods stop having to to OK your posts. I want to hear his take on the story about the woman who was allowed to bring a mini horse onboard a plane as a comfort animal.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #6851 on: September 20, 2019, 07:48:35 am »
I don't feel like looking for it, but I think I remember a mod saying that a first mute is something like 10 days because that's how long it takes to get your percentage down to the level where you have posting rights again.

But it's still high enough that I think even a single warning can get you muted again? And if it happens a 3rd time you're banned?

Something like that, I dunno.

« Reply #6852 on: September 20, 2019, 08:29:26 am »
The blackface thread got locked but I wanted to add something that I thought of this morning.

When I was young in infant school we had one of those "celebrate the world" days where we had to go in dressed as someone from another country.  This was probably 89,90 maybe.  My mum dressed my brother and I.

I was a Frenchman.  Black and white striped shirt, beret and a string of garlic/onions around my neck.  I don't know where my brother was supposed to be from but he wore a tea towel on his head.

Mental to think of it now but it was definitely a different time.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6853 on: September 20, 2019, 08:44:13 am »
His warning level is still over 50%. I guess he'll come back when it's below 40, which I think is when the mods stop having to to OK your posts. I want to hear his take on the story about the woman who was allowed to bring a mini horse onboard a plane as a comfort animal.
He'll probably stamp and snort.  Maybe whinny.

« Reply #6854 on: September 20, 2019, 11:48:31 am »
Ah yeah I was talking about using those ones. The green squashes here are wonderful for steaming, roasting, or just about anything, but they don't taste like pumpkin. But yeah I always wondered if the flat Korean kind of not super orange pumpkins tasted anything like pumpkins I'd be used to from back home.

To me, they do, but their flavor still isn't as strong as the American ones, and they're also a bit sweeter, so it's perfect for pie. I actually think I prefer these dusty flat ones over the standard American ones for that.

Not pumpkin!!!! D:

Wtf, who dafuq thinks it's okay to shove food into an adult stranger's mouth like this? At least he got what he deserved for that, haha.

I used to hate pumpkin stuff as a kid, too, so I was always the one eating sweet potato pie instead,, but there was a point somewhere when it suddenly became a thing for me. No idea what happened. Now I prefer pumpkin over sweet potato.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6855 on: September 20, 2019, 12:04:03 pm »
I kind of like sweet potatoes when I'm eating them, but when I'm not, I just can't shake the feeling that I dislike them.

Basically:
   "Kyndo, do you want a roasted gogoma?"
   "No, that's okay. I'm not terribly fond of... oh, ok, er, thanks. No, one's enough, really! Hmm. "
   *Coworker stares at me until I nibble on end of charred potato*
   "Oh hey, these aren't as bad as I remember them being!"
   "What?"
    "Uh, delicious!"

I think the reason for it is that they put gogoma on foods that really don't pair well with potato paste.
In strudels instead of apples. Wut?
On pizza instead of more cheese. Why???
In lattes. Interesting, but I'll go for something normal like chicory root grinds, zero-cal sweetener syrup, and frothed almond milk please.
In candies. Potato flavoured candies? What kind of sadist would inflict this kind of atrocity on children????  :cry:

« Reply #6856 on: September 20, 2019, 12:19:50 pm »
In lattes. Interesting, but I'll go for something normal like chicory root grinds, zero-cal sweetener syrup, and frothed almond milk please.
In candies. Potato flavoured candies? What kind of sadist would inflict this kind of atrocity on children????  :cry:

Nothing makes me weigh up the pros and cons of genocide more than sweet potato pizza. 

« Reply #6857 on: September 20, 2019, 01:09:25 pm »
I kind of like sweet potatoes when I'm eating them, but when I'm not, I just can't shake the feeling that I dislike them.

Basically:
   "Kyndo, do you want a roasted gogoma?"
   "No, that's okay. I'm not terribly fond of... oh, ok, er, thanks. No, one's enough, really! Hmm. "
   *Coworker stares at me until I nibble on end of charred potato*
   "Oh hey, these aren't as bad as I remember them being!"
   "What?"
    "Uh, delicious!"

I think the reason for it is that they put gogoma on foods that really don't pair well with potato paste.
In strudels instead of apples. Wut?

Did you know that French fries are actually just deep fried potatoes?

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #6858 on: September 20, 2019, 02:12:58 pm »
The blackface thread got locked but I wanted to add something that I thought of this morning.

When I was young in infant school we had one of those "celebrate the world" days where we had to go in dressed as someone from another country.  This was probably 89,90 maybe.  My mum dressed my brother and I.

I was a Frenchman.  Black and white striped shirt, beret and a string of garlic/onions around my neck.  I don't know where my brother was supposed to be from but he wore a tea towel on his head.

Mental to think of it now but it was definitely a different time.

That reminds me of an anecdote I heard in some American teacher's account of working in a sh-thole hagwan at the start of the century. It was just after 9/11, they had a fancy dress party at the hagwan and some kids came dressed as terrorists.

« Reply #6859 on: September 30, 2019, 08:05:11 am »
Was in Shinchon yesterday, and outside U-Plex there was a Japanese guy and girl in their twenties, stood there with a notepad saying 'Free Hugs'  and on the other page it said 'We are Japanese'.  Props to them for trying something like that in the current climate.   :-*