Read 1063959 times

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6820 on: September 10, 2019, 01:11:48 pm »
I suppose letting sound quality take the backseat is forgivable.

Never forgivable under any circumstances.  Never.  Sound quality always takes precedent over anything.  Anything. 

Totally agreed. I don't give a shit what they look like.  I see people with Baseball team headphones and I just think........... That's what a baseball cap is for, right? Jesus. hahahaha

Portable? Denon AHD-1200 or GTFO (not GTFO, there are good portable brands that are AUDIO companies.)

My friend got Skullcandys ages ago and he said "This company was started by snowboarders, isn't that cool?"

No? I don't want a car built by a rock band, alright?
The joys of fauxtherhood

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6821 on: September 10, 2019, 01:58:55 pm »
Never forgivable under any circumstances.  Never.  Sound quality always takes precedent over anything.  Anything. 
Totally agreed.

What if you're a poor ESLer who doesn't wan't to hock their car, pension, and first born child and eat 800 won ramen for the rest of their life in order to listen to their favourite tunes?
Is it ok then?   :shocked:

Also, what if one's taste in music is so shockingly bad that it actually sounds *better* when played over low-fidelity speakers?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6822 on: September 10, 2019, 02:00:17 pm »

Totally agreed. I don't give a shit what they look like.  I see people with Baseball team headphones and I just think........... That's what a baseball cap is for, right? Jesus. hahahaha

Portable? Denon AHD-1200 or GTFO (not GTFO, there are good portable brands that are AUDIO companies.)

My friend got Skullcandys ages ago and he said "This company was started by snowboarders, isn't that cool?"

Hehe.

My son (then 10 years old) asked about skull candy.

I pulled up the specs and the price.

Then I looked for Sony at the same price point and pulled up specs.

He went with the Sony.

« Reply #6823 on: September 10, 2019, 02:23:24 pm »

Skullcandy?    >:(  An ex-girlfriend here bought me these headphones for my birthday as 'they were recommended by the clerk' and they have this bass switch which may be the most ridiculous addition I've ever seen on a pair of headphones. 

https://www.skullcandy.eu/shop/headphones/bluetooth-headphones/crusher-wireless

The sound without is fine.  But the bass switch on full is totally stupid. 

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #6824 on: September 10, 2019, 02:28:42 pm »

I mean, if you guys want to constantly ruin and replace your fancy headphones by wearing them while working out, that's your prerogative. I'm fine having nice over-ear headphones for home use, and decent earbuds for when I'm out and about.

I used to buy nice in-ears for when I'm out, and about, too, but I got sick of having to replace them, and that was just from the wear and tear of mild use. I imagine it'd be even more often if I wore them during regular intensive workouts, so I wouldn't look down on anyone opting for a more cost-effective option for that.

« Reply #6825 on: September 10, 2019, 02:30:52 pm »
Also, what if one's taste in music is so shockingly bad that it actually sounds *better* when played over low-fidelity speakers?

Finally, Kyndo finally spills the beans that he's converted all the textbook videos and songs to MP3 and listens to them on his runs.  I hear that listening to Uju squeezing paint out of a tube onto the teacher's trousers helps you put in an extra 10% or listening to "What day is it?" "It's Wednesday." "Have a nice time." can take a minute off your PB.

« Reply #6826 on: September 10, 2019, 10:28:57 pm »

Finally, Kyndo finally spills the beans that he's converted all the textbook videos and songs to MP3 and listens to them on his runs.  I hear that listening to Uju squeezing paint out of a tube onto the teacher's trousers helps you put in an extra 10% or listening to "What day is it?" "It's Wednesday." "Have a nice time." can take a minute off your PB.

The teachers who write these books are clearly projecting their hweshik Wednesdays.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #6827 on: September 11, 2019, 07:17:24 am »
As far as earbuds go, I've found that anything over $40 isn't worth the money, they WILL break within 12 months.

The catch 22 there being that, in my experience, anything under $40 will most likely sound bad  :laugh:. I suppose I've found a passable pair or two around the $30 mark, but nothing that actually sounded good. Then again, if the purpose is just to have a durable pair for your exercise routines, I suppose letting sound quality take the backseat is forgivable.

I got a pair of Shure buds (can't remember the model)  off Amazon for $40. They're fantastic, I can't complain about the sound quality. The brand has never let me down, my headphones for my studio are a pair of SRH1540s. One of the most important things I've discovered is to TURN DOWN THE DAMN VOLUME... seriously, extended listening at higher volumes is incredibly bad for the ears, particularly during exercise. Turning the volume down not only saves the ears, but balances the EQ. It takes a while to become sensitized to the lower volumes, but I stuck with it and it sounds better.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:22:45 am by Aristocrat »

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6828 on: September 11, 2019, 07:33:58 am »
I got a pair of Shure buds (can't remember the model)  off Amazon for $40. They're fantastic, I can't complain about the sound quality. The brand has never let me down, my headphones for my studio are a pair of SRH1540s.

Yessssssssssssssssss, I have the 1840s for home. The 1540s are amazing, too.

The better the headphone, the less you need to crank the volume, they'll sound good at any level.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6829 on: September 11, 2019, 07:48:29 am »
Finally, Kyndo finally spills the beans that he's converted all the textbook videos and songs to MP3 and listens to them on his runs.
I have 5 different versions of Baby Shark on my running hot-list.

Run away, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Run away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqZsoesa55w

« Reply #6830 on: September 11, 2019, 08:55:50 am »
Finally, Kyndo finally spills the beans that he's converted all the textbook videos and songs to MP3 and listens to them on his runs.
I have 5 different versions of Baby Shark on my running hot-list.

Run away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqZsoesa55w

;D

As suspected, you have to finish your run as quick as possible to avoid any chance of going mental and getting an aneurysm.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #6831 on: September 11, 2019, 10:51:34 am »
As far as earbuds go, I've found that anything over $40 isn't worth the money, they WILL break within 12 months.

The catch 22 there being that, in my experience, anything under $40 will most likely sound bad  :laugh:. I suppose I've found a passable pair or two around the $30 mark, but nothing that actually sounded good. Then again, if the purpose is just to have a durable pair for your exercise routines, I suppose letting sound quality take the backseat is forgivable.

I got a pair of Shure buds (can't remember the model)  off Amazon for $40. They're fantastic, I can't complain about the sound quality. The brand has never let me down, my headphones for my studio are a pair of SRH1540s. One of the most important things I've discovered is to TURN DOWN THE DAMN VOLUME... seriously, extended listening at higher volumes is incredibly bad for the ears, particularly during exercise. Turning the volume down not only saves the ears, but balances the EQ. It takes a while to become sensitized to the lower volumes, but I stuck with it and it sounds better.

$40 is distinctly not less than $40, so it's still safe, haha.

Yeah, my out-and-about headphones for the past couple years was a pair of Shure IEMs. They were a bit more than $40, though. I wouldn't have wanted to exercise with them.  The right side recently crapped out on me, unfortunately, so I'm using some random $30 LG buds until I get around to getting something better. They aren't great, but they aren't terrible.

At home I have a pair of over ear Sennheiser HD-something-or-others. I got them back when I was trying the home recording/mixing thing, and now I use them with the AxeFx2. I've heard some complaints that Sennheisers don't have enough bass, but I haven't had any issues. I like a nice full range response, and if I want a little more bass for a certain song or style, I'd rather tweak it in my music player's EQ settings than have a pair of headphones that's bassy all the time.

« Reply #6832 on: September 16, 2019, 08:02:00 am »
Judging by the fifty or so swallows flying around outside my window, they'll be off for warmer climes in the next couple of days. 

Also, while hiking over the weekend saw that the 고추잠자리 (chili dragonflies) are in abundance, which shows that autumn is well on its way. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6833 on: September 16, 2019, 08:13:18 am »
Judging by the fifty or so swallows flying around outside my window, they'll be off for warmer climes in the next couple of days. 

Also, while hiking over the weekend saw that the 고추잠자리 (chili dragonflies) are in abundance, which shows that autumn is well on its way.

Hopefully it comes soon. The humidity is still high enough, that I need my AC running to get to sleep at night >.<

« Reply #6834 on: September 17, 2019, 11:58:49 am »
It's starting to get dark sooner, too. Almost time for pumpkin pies.

« Reply #6835 on: September 17, 2019, 12:35:35 pm »

Going to legit try to make some pumpkin soup. I've never actually eaten orange Korean pumpkin - just their domestic squash things. I wonder if their pumpkin pumpkins are as tasty as North American ones.

« Reply #6836 on: September 18, 2019, 10:32:38 am »

Going to legit try to make some pumpkin soup. I've never actually eaten orange Korean pumpkin - just their domestic squash things. I wonder if their pumpkin pumpkins are as tasty as North American ones.

You mean like these?

I don't know how they would taste in soups or just on their own, but I actually prefer them when making pumpkin pies over the green ones. The taste seems more authentic, and the filling is not as likely to dry out and crack when I use them.

« Reply #6837 on: September 18, 2019, 12:45:59 pm »

You mean like these?

I don't know how they would taste in soups or just on their own, but I actually prefer them when making pumpkin pies over the green ones. The taste seems more authentic, and the filling is not as likely to dry out and crack when I use them.

Ah yeah I was talking about using those ones. The green squashes here are wonderful for steaming, roasting, or just about anything, but they don't taste like pumpkin. But yeah I always wondered if the flat Korean kind of not super orange pumpkins tasted anything like pumpkins I'd be used to from back home.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6838 on: September 18, 2019, 03:02:30 pm »
Korean question here, thoughts and opinions welcome.

So, imagine a child. His grandparents give him a birthday present. Good gift, totally middle of the road. Not crazy expensive, not cheap. A solid gift.

Which is more polite?

A) A really unenthusiastic, under the breath, eyes down 감사합니다

B) A really enthusiastic, bright eyed 고마워 (요 optional, does that change your opinion?) with a run to grandmother's arms and a big hug and a "I love this gift!"

Like, I know I have a Canadian brain, but I'd much rather get B. But what do you think?
The joys of fauxtherhood

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #6839 on: September 18, 2019, 03:22:10 pm »
Korean question here, thoughts and opinions welcome.

So, imagine a child. His grandparents give him a birthday present. Good gift, totally middle of the road. Not crazy expensive, not cheap. A solid gift.

Which is more polite?

A) A really unenthusiastic, under the breath, eyes down 감사합니다

B) A really enthusiastic, bright eyed 고마워 (요 optional, does that change your opinion?) with a run to grandmother's arms and a big hug and a "I love this gift!"

Like, I know I have a Canadian brain, but I'd much rather get B. But what do you think?

Personally I was raised to say thank you with the enthusiasm of B even if the gift is a box of tissues. But I have noticed with my students, if I give them something I get really a enthusiastic "thank you!" but if my co gives them something they're still happy but when they say 감사합니다 it's very solemn. So I think it's just a cultural difference.