Read 1085477 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6780 on: September 04, 2019, 09:28:26 am »
Anyone here actually make lesson plans?

My friend is a teacher in China and made his way up through one of the big chains and has been teaching for about seven or eight years.   I've been teaching in Korea for five and a half years.

I happened to mention that because of the experience I have, I never make lesson plans now.  I did at the start (fresh from CELTA) but to do it now feels like a waste of time.  I usually scribble a quick rundown of the class but that's it.  My friend was adamant that I should be making full template lesson plans for each class.

Possible reasons for the difference of opinion:  He cares about being a teacher and I'm not too bothered really
                                                                                     A job in a chain is "real" teaching whereas a public school in Korea isn't
                                                                                     He's towing the company line?

Thoughts on lesson plans?

It's up to the individual how much of a plan they want to write down but you should definitely have one in your head. The purpose of CELTA and DELTA is to train teachers in the process of planning a lesson and all the things they should be considering. After they get these qualifications, the process should still take place in their head but not necessarily with the paperwork. However it does a teacher good to get observed properly once in a while so they can go through the whole process thoroughly again.

Yeah I made that exact point to my friend.  It's not as if I'm going to the class unprepared and winging it.  My materials are ready and I know exactly what I'm going to do (and might have a running order written down) but these days I never make the CELTA style template lesson plans.  He said I should absolutely be doing this which bemused me really.

EDIT:  Yeah just to be clear after Oglop's post above, I'm still making lessons (creating my own material, getting material from various resources, compiling it, editing etc) but the only thing I'm not doing is ending up with an actual thing that says "lesson plan" at the top that I can hold in my hand or submit to someone.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6781 on: September 04, 2019, 10:11:01 am »
yeah, well of course you don't need to. i was arguing with someone on here who was saying in deskwarming time, you should be lesson planning. my point was that you don't NEED to overplan most of the time. it's pointless. then that person said "you could always make your powerpoints nicer" and i said "i don't use ppts much" and the conversation went on like this. it was dumb.

just because you spent 2 hours making a lesson with all the bells and whistles, it doesn't mean it'll be more effective than the lesson i spent 2 minutes planning on a napkin

« Reply #6782 on: September 04, 2019, 11:43:13 am »
yeah, well of course you don't need to. i was arguing with someone on here who was saying in deskwarming time, you should be lesson planning. my point was that you don't NEED to overplan most of the time. it's pointless. then that person said "you could always make your powerpoints nicer" and i said "i don't use ppts much" and the conversation went on like this. it was dumb.

just because you spent 2 hours making a lesson with all the bells and whistles, it doesn't mean it'll be more effective than the lesson i spent 2 minutes planning on a napkin

Yea, agreed.  That argument was in my mind as well when I was chatting to my friend.

« Reply #6783 on: September 04, 2019, 12:06:16 pm »
Has anyone seen my toothbrush?

It's blue. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6784 on: September 04, 2019, 09:30:49 pm »
Has anyone seen my toothbrush?

It's blue. 

My experience: my wife and son always use the blue toothbrush.

I try to use an oddball colour to minimize this.

« Reply #6785 on: September 05, 2019, 08:34:11 am »
Ohhh, tempting...

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/1312072

DJrum playing in Itaewon, on Chuseok Friday at the Cakeshop....

:undecided:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1VojiHoqcI

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6786 on: September 05, 2019, 08:58:01 am »
cakeshop is still about? are their drinks still ridiculously overpriced? i miss exit bar

« Reply #6787 on: September 05, 2019, 09:09:50 am »
cakeshop is still about? are their drinks still ridiculously overpriced? i miss exit bar

Exit was great. And then the Hongdae Magpie there was also great. And now both are gone. Such sadness.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6788 on: September 05, 2019, 09:37:26 am »
hongdae is lame these days. no point going there anymore

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6789 on: September 05, 2019, 09:48:58 am »

Absolutely agree. Tom's Pizza is great, but without Magpie there, I see very little point in going.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6790 on: September 05, 2019, 10:19:21 am »
i always get users with similar names mixed up on this site. in most cases it's fine, ex. kyndo, kayos (i forget who is the mod, doesn't really matter). Other times it's a problem, ex. LIC and L I. I had this feeling that I like one of them more (but I couldn't remember which). But, as it turns out, if I'm ever reading either of their posts, I'm convinced it's the other one.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6791 on: September 05, 2019, 10:22:00 am »
i always get users with similar names mixed up on this site. in most cases it's fine, ex. kyndo, kayos (i forget who is the mod, doesn't really matter). Other times it's a problem, ex. LIC and L I. I had this feeling that I like one of them more (but I couldn't remember which). But, as it turns out, if I'm ever reading either of their posts, I'm convinced it's the other one.

I'm gonna make some alt accounts named

COㄹ
ㄷㅇ2
O2 Arena
SeeOhTwo
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6792 on: September 05, 2019, 10:38:10 am »

I'm gonna make some alt accounts named

COㄹ
ㄷㅇ2
O2 Arena
SeeOhTwo

or perhaps a mr.demartoni or ms.demartine, or taylortheboob or tylortheloob. yet, none of those are as similar as L I and LIC... who came first? who copied who? do they ever interact? so many questions..

« Reply #6793 on: September 05, 2019, 10:41:53 am »

That's the problem, as a non-Seoul person, I have no idea about these places.   :sad:

Going alone to watch this kind of techno is a little sad for me.  If it were drum and bass, it'd be fine as I could just dance.  But these kinds of beats are not so conducive for dancing.   :sad: 

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6794 on: September 05, 2019, 11:34:30 am »

That's the problem, as a non-Seoul person, I have no idea about these places.   :sad:

Going alone to watch this kind of techno is a little sad for me.  If it were drum and bass, it'd be fine as I could just dance.  But these kinds of beats are not so conducive for dancing.   :sad: 

Cakeshop is def the deepest EDM cuts in the city. They play some deep shit. This ain't dancey per se, in the mainstream way of that word.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6795 on: September 05, 2019, 11:45:01 am »

Absolutely agree. Tom's Pizza is great, but without Magpie there, I see very little point in going.

Yeah. I've been to Hongdae maybe once since Magpie closed.

« Reply #6796 on: September 05, 2019, 12:15:24 pm »

Cakeshop is def the deepest EDM cuts in the city. They play some deep shit. This ain't dancey per se, in the mainstream way of that word.

I don't do the mainstream stuff, but I can do both as in, I love the standing and staring clicky techno as well as the dancey stuff.  It was my older brother who alerted me to this night, saying he'd definitely go to it, if he didn't live in Berlin.  :sad:  We used to go to loads of these kind of techno nights together, drink beer, 'mess around' and watch the guys doing the electronic twisty knob things.  Good times.  A lot does depend on the sound system for techno.  We saw Autechre in Manchester, and the room shape was crap and it was too bassy.  Ruins stuff like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98uZgPXBEKE

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6797 on: September 08, 2019, 03:33:22 pm »
Is the “White Man Name Pen” racist and sexist?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6798 on: September 09, 2019, 11:57:17 am »
Any thoughts on The 1975 flag incident?

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2019/09/682_275259.html
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6799 on: September 09, 2019, 12:02:52 pm »
Any thoughts on The 1975 flag incident?

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2019/09/682_275259.html

Slightly biased because I can't stand the guy (or his parents lol) but that was a pretty stupid thing to do.