Read 1084288 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6760 on: September 02, 2019, 12:20:19 pm »

Spam is gross to me. Literally, both times I have tried it, it made me vomit the moment it touched my tongue :p.

Wow. You might want to go to a doctor about that. Not liking something is one thing, but if something can make you instantaneously vomit, you might have some underlying health issues.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6761 on: September 02, 2019, 01:47:23 pm »
Wow. You might want to go to a doctor about that. Not liking something is one thing, but if something can make you instantaneously vomit, you might have some underlying health issues.
    Psychogenic nausea is pretty common, actually.
    Strong emotions -- such as disgust -- can easily make people vomit.
    Disgust involving food is especially prone to this, and is further compounded by the fact that avoiding food associated with nausea has strong evolutionary advantages which can further heighten a person's reaction to said food.    Kind of a Pavlovian positive feedback loop sort of thing.

TL;DR: A psychiatrist might be the better choice (and would be even if we weren't talking about Kayos specifically.  :smiley: )

« Reply #6762 on: September 02, 2019, 01:58:23 pm »
    Psychogenic nausea is pretty common, actually.
    Strong emotions -- such as disgust -- can easily make people vomit.
    Disgust involving food is especially prone to this, and is further compounded by the fact that avoiding food associated with nausea has strong evolutionary advantages which can further heighten a person's reaction to said food.    Kind of a Pavlovian positive feedback loop sort of thing.

TL;DR: A psychiatrist might be the better choice (and would be even if we weren't talking about Kayos specifically.  :smiley: )

I don't know if this counts but when I was younger I was really into corned beef and ketchup sandwiches.  Couldn't get enough of them.  Around the same time I got into the bands Exhumed and Carcass (gore metal I suppose you'd call it).  One day I distinctly remember eating my beloved sandwich while reading the lyric booklet to Exhumed's Slaughtercult album.  It put me off that sandwich for years!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6763 on: September 02, 2019, 02:18:07 pm »
I don't know if this counts but when I was younger I was really into corned beef and ketchup sandwiches.  Couldn't get enough of them.  Around the same time I got into the bands Exhumed and Carcass (gore metal I suppose you'd call it).  One day I distinctly remember eating my beloved sandwich while reading the lyric booklet to Exhumed's Slaughtercult album.  It put me off that sandwich for years!

For the intensely curious, but pathologically lazy:

"The Necromaniac arises from the grave
To re-open the abscess, disembalm and deprave
Dissecting and defiling the deadest of the dead
Another quagmire of flesh whose life ended deep red

Slaughtercult...
In peace you'll never rest
Slaughtercult!
To the ****ing death!

Excreting innards in my human slaughterhouse
A sepulchral slaughter for the dead to divulge
Your decrepit crescendo is a new lesson in pathology
Gore ***ing Metal is the only funereality!

Slaughtercult!
The dead shall never rest
Slaughtercult!
TO THE ****ING DEATH!!
"

:smiley:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6764 on: September 02, 2019, 02:34:06 pm »

Spam is gross to me. Literally, both times I have tried it, it made me vomit the moment it touched my tongue :p.

I mostly have a sensitive stomach. Things I don't like the taste of (Seafood and eggs, are 2 big ones of this), make me be sick really quick.
There are other foods that will do that to me on a lesser scale, like, once it reaches my stomach, it will just give me a slight stomachache for a few hours, instead of vomiting right away.
My mum took me to the doctor the first time it happened as a child but, there was nothing wrong, that they could detect.
In Korea, I just tell people I'm allergic to whatever does this to me (much simpler).

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6765 on: September 02, 2019, 09:15:29 pm »
what about fish from a can?
She sees that as 2 strikes against it.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #6766 on: September 03, 2019, 12:19:08 am »
I buy canned... cat food.

Even then I doubt its worth and limit it to a once or twice a month treat for my Turkish Angoras.

« Reply #6767 on: September 03, 2019, 10:38:18 am »
Any crazy Chuseok stories? Half of my students hate it because they say it's boring, but I know there's gotta be some drama in there, too.

I remember a guy posting about punching his wife's uncle because he was belittling her for choosing to hang out with them instead of slaving away in the kitchen.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6768 on: September 03, 2019, 11:10:37 am »
no, but all my adult students hate it. especially the women, of course. even the younger women - they are expected to do everything while their husbands loounge around and get drunk. so it seems not much has changed, even for the younger generations :/ i also teach a lot of younger women who refuse to get married, i guess partly because of bullshit like this

« Reply #6769 on: September 03, 2019, 11:40:55 am »
Yeah, a few of my older colleagues have complained about how the younger generations are not respecting the holiday and carrying on with the tradition.

You can honestly see where all of that drama is coming from, though. When tradition clashes with modern views and attitudes, it either has to change or it dies.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #6770 on: September 03, 2019, 11:44:10 am »
Any crazy Chuseok stories? Half of my students hate it because they say it's boring, but I know there's gotta be some drama in there, too.

I remember a guy posting about punching his wife's uncle because he was belittling her for choosing to hang out with them instead of slaving away in the kitchen.

Not crazy, but my husband's grandmother is pretty chill. Last Chuseok we (a small chunk of his extended family) just hung out at her place for the day, watching WWE (not my choice - his grandma loves it, apparently) and eating pizza the family ordered (which I thought was great).

« Reply #6771 on: September 03, 2019, 01:02:19 pm »
Not crazy, but my husband's grandmother is pretty chill. Last Chuseok we (a small chunk of his extended family) just hung out at her place for the day, watching WWE (not my choice - his grandma loves it, apparently) and eating pizza the family ordered (which I thought was great).

I would looooove to watch WWE with a gma. How wholesome is that? So awesome.

https://bustedcoverage.com/2014/03/03/torrey-smiths-grandma-loses-her-shit-over-wwe-video/

« Reply #6772 on: September 03, 2019, 01:13:55 pm »
Boycott Japan!

Bloody hell, my students are speaking in English!

Doing more harm to the Korean economy than the Japanese economy this lark.

Who is here in 2019?

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6773 on: September 03, 2019, 01:27:18 pm »
Boycott Japan!

Bloody hell, my students are speaking in English!

Doing more harm to the Korean economy than the Japanese economy this lark.

1 of my students is going around saying that too. around 3 of my students love Japan.
The rest are neutral / don't care enough to spout it haha.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6774 on: September 03, 2019, 06:20:26 pm »

I would looooove to watch WWE with a gma. How wholesome is that? So awesome.

https://bustedcoverage.com/2014/03/03/torrey-smiths-grandma-loses-her-shit-over-wwe-video/
Yeah, a few of my older colleagues have complained about how the younger generations are not respecting the holiday and carrying on with the tradition.

You can honestly see where all of that drama is coming from, though. When tradition clashes with modern views and attitudes, it either has to change or it dies.

Fair enough though. Just because something is traditional, it doesn't mean it's not shit

« Reply #6775 on: September 04, 2019, 08:15:56 am »
Anyone here actually make lesson plans?

My friend is a teacher in China and made his way up through one of the big chains and has been teaching for about seven or eight years.   I've been teaching in Korea for five and a half years.

I happened to mention that because of the experience I have, I never make lesson plans now.  I did at the start (fresh from CELTA) but to do it now feels like a waste of time.  I usually scribble a quick rundown of the class but that's it.  My friend was adamant that I should be making full template lesson plans for each class.

Possible reasons for the difference of opinion:  He cares about being a teacher and I'm not too bothered really
                                                                                     A job in a chain is "real" teaching whereas a public school in Korea isn't
                                                                                     He's towing the company line?

Thoughts on lesson plans?

« Reply #6776 on: September 04, 2019, 08:30:56 am »

I have over ten years of lesson plans on my computer from elementary up to teacher's class material, so I can reuse stuff.  However, when I moved to my high school a few years back, I had to make new lesson plans for my high school students.  But I could do them pretty quickly.  If I get asked, like I have done this semester to teach in two middle schools at night time, I can just select my really good classes that I've done a few times, which is nice and easy. 

Alex, high school students have a national test today, right? Time for internet?   :wink:

« Reply #6777 on: September 04, 2019, 08:39:56 am »
Alex, high school students have a national test today, right? Time for internet?   :wink:

I'm at a Technical High School so business as usual for me  :sad:

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #6778 on: September 04, 2019, 08:46:25 am »

My friend is a teacher in China and made his way up through one of the big chains and has been teaching for about seven or eight years.   I've been teaching in Korea for five and a half years.

I happened to mention that because of the experience I have, I never make lesson plans now.  I did at the start (fresh from CELTA) but to do it now feels like a waste of time.  I usually scribble a quick rundown of the class but that's it.  My friend was adamant that I should be making full template lesson plans for each class.

Possible reasons for the difference of opinion:  He cares about being a teacher and I'm not too bothered really

It's up to the individual how much of a plan they want to write down but you should definitely have one in your head. The purpose of CELTA and DELTA is to train teachers in the process of planning a lesson and all the things they should be considering. After they get these qualifications, the process should still take place in their head but not necessarily with the paperwork. However it does a teacher good to get observed properly once in a while so they can go through the whole process thoroughly again.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6779 on: September 04, 2019, 09:15:51 am »

for my adult classes, i do. i usually just take various resources from various sources and compile a lesson out of them. i save the lesson plans on my computer so i can go back and use them later. you kind of have to with adults in korea. they usually want business/functional language, etc, so you need material to refer to

for elementary school, not really. "less is more" for kids, i think, and they are happpy to have a similar structure every class, with the same activities, too.

adults are much more critical, anyway. kids just go along with whatever they are told. they are also not paying for the class!