Read 1046042 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6740 on: August 29, 2019, 12:45:00 pm »
Who needs spam? O.o
I get the sentimental reason for giving spam in Korea, but do people still actually eat it these days? O.o

I can attest to the fact that they do, indeed, still eat spam, and that it's a favorite food here. xD

It's been a long time since I've had any, but it seems like the spam they sell in Korea is not as salty as the spam that gets sold in the States.

Ahh :P I've tried spam here and back home, but both times, it literally made me lose my lunch. D:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6741 on: August 29, 2019, 04:19:24 pm »
Who needs spam? O.o
I get the sentimental reason for giving spam in Korea, but do people still actually eat it these days? O.o

I can attest to the fact that they do, indeed, still eat spam, and that it's a favorite food here. xD

It's been a long time since I've had any, but it seems like the spam they sell in Korea is not as salty as the spam that gets sold in the States.

Ahh :P I've tried spam here and back home, but both times, it literally made me lose my lunch. D:

My (non-Korean) wife has a strict “no canned meat” rule.

« Reply #6742 on: August 30, 2019, 06:45:52 am »
There is a BMW car that seems to be popular in my city, but whenever I see it I always think it looks really ugly.  The BMW GT.

It's the boot.   >:(

Also, the new Sonata.  They've gone tooooo far with the lights.  I feel that car designers are playing around with the head-lights and the tail-lights too much with their long strips.  The Sonata.   >:(

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6743 on: August 30, 2019, 06:48:31 am »
There is a BMW car that seems to be popular in my city, but whenever I see it I always think it looks really ugly.  The BMW GT.

It's the boot.   >:(

Also, the new Sonata.  They've gone tooooo far with the lights.  I feel that car designers are playing around with the head-lights and the tail-lights too much with their long strips.  The Sonata.   >:(

BMWs have never struck me as attractive cars.  Fun to drive, but not pretty.

Reminds me of a girl I used to date.

« Reply #6744 on: August 30, 2019, 07:46:18 am »
Yeah, I've always thought that BMWs are the ugliest luxury cars. I don't care how well they handle, if I pay that much for a car, I want it to look good, too.

I'm not saying it needs to be flashy, but it should at least be sleek and classy, not an overpriced box on wheels.

Although there's this guy in my town who comes from money and he's always seen driving around in a different flashy sports cars every week. He could probably tone it down with a BMW, lol.

« Reply #6745 on: August 30, 2019, 07:50:31 am »
i dont drive... but i really like the way bmw's look. it's looks very simple and i dig that

« Reply #6746 on: August 30, 2019, 09:35:23 am »
BMWs have never struck me as attractive cars.  Fun to drive, but not pretty.

Reminds me of a girl I used to date.

And there's me in love with an Austin Montego (my second car), dangerous to drive, prone to rusting and with broken wipers.  Eventually the sparks went too. 

Reminds me of most of my girlfriends.

I've got the horn now...

Yeah, I've always thought that BMWs are the ugliest luxury cars.

Usually, they're not so bad.  I've just taken an aversion to the GT. 

i dont drive... but i really like the way bmw's look. it's looks very simple and i dig that

SImple, yes.  I think now, like with the Sonata, cars are becoming a bit niche with how they look. 

I have a three year old Kia Morning and always like the way it reminds me of a cat. 

« Reply #6747 on: September 02, 2019, 06:42:10 am »
Granted, I was not in Korea for a couple of weeks on holiday abroad, but this summer felt kind of lame in comparison to others.  It's already the 2nd September and the nights are cool and the days have cooled down too.  When I moved house in May, I didn't have air-conditioning and was toying with the idea of getting it, but thought maybe I'll save money by not buying it, and waiting out the summer, as I'll be leaving soon.  Seems that was a fairly good idea. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #6748 on: September 02, 2019, 08:13:16 am »
Who needs spam? O.o

Smart, I also don't eat meat from a can. :p

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6749 on: September 02, 2019, 09:07:43 am »
what about fish from a can?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #6750 on: September 02, 2019, 09:40:15 am »
No canned food, period, in my house growing up. It was strictly camping food.

I was impressed to discover a LACK of canned food when I arrived here in 2002. Just spam, tuna, corn and peaches it seemed. No soups, spaghetti or other disgusting meals.

The first few pages of supermarket flyers here promote fresh food items: meat, eggs, fruit, vegetables, seafood.

NOWADAYS, however, with the increase of single-person households, the FROZEN food sections keep growing and growing, as supermarkets dedicate whole aisles now to packaged frozen meals.

And the number of Korean meals in a plastic bag has gone from almost none (outside of instant noodles) to a large number of Korean restaurant dishes (samgyetang in a bag? Ugh.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 09:44:09 am by VanIslander »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #6751 on: September 02, 2019, 10:04:17 am »
what about fish from a can?

I'm allergic to seafood, so in the trash along with spam. :p

« Reply #6752 on: September 02, 2019, 10:06:45 am »
yoooooo what happened over the weekend? 'tino AND bb got muted? saffer is watched? can i get a tl;dr

« Reply #6753 on: September 02, 2019, 10:12:41 am »
yoooooo what happened over the weekend? 'tino AND bb got muted? saffer is watched? can i get a tl;dr

I think they were tearing into each other over the "Chinaman" discussion.  It probably got a bit too heated and personal and the mods deleted a load of stuff, locked the thread and muted DM.

« Reply #6754 on: September 02, 2019, 10:27:04 am »

I think they were tearing into each other over the "Chinaman" discussion.  It probably got a bit too heated and personal and the mods deleted a load of stuff, locked the thread and muted DM.

oooooh. yeah that thread was BAIT.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6755 on: September 02, 2019, 10:43:04 am »
Darn it.
I missed the whole thing.  :cry:

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #6756 on: September 02, 2019, 11:43:00 am »
I got watched because I used the wrong title in the subject line.  Little harsh, but you live and learn.   ;D
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #6757 on: September 02, 2019, 11:46:48 am »
Who needs spam? O.o

Ummm. Wait. I'm coming a little late to this conversation, but there's literally nothing wrong with Spam. It's delicious, and it's just as meaty as a hotdog, and I'm willing to bet that most non-vegetarians don't have a string 'no hotdog' rule. What does it matter if it comes from a can? Lots of food comes from cans - corn, peaches, peas, milk, tuna, etc. Nothing wrong with being from a can.

Out of all the Chuseok giftsets, the Spam set is objectively the best.

As for not eating other canned meats, you'd seriously turn down canned chicken or canned corned beef? That's crazy talk. Y'all weird.

« Reply #6758 on: September 02, 2019, 11:47:22 am »
Who needs spam? O.o

Ummm. Wait. I'm coming a little late to this conversation, but there's literally nothing wrong with Spam. It's delicious, and it's just as meaty as a hotdog, and I'm willing to bet that most non-vegetarians don't have a string 'no hotdog' rule. What does it matter if it comes from a can? Lots of food comes from cans - corn, peaches, peas, milk, tuna, etc. Nothing wrong with being from a can.

As for not eating other canned meats, you'd seriously turn down canned chicken or canned corned beef? That's crazy talk. Y'all weird.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #6759 on: September 02, 2019, 12:05:25 pm »
Who needs spam? O.o

Spam is gross to me. Literally, both times I have tried it, it made me vomit the moment it touched my tongue :p.
I'd turn down canned corned beef, because I also don't like corned beef.
I've never tried canned chicken though :p

I've no problem with canned veges / fruit though.