Read 1066274 times

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6720 on: August 19, 2019, 05:14:46 pm »
Due to the fact that the nights have been really cool since last Thursday (in Chungnam) and I can sleep comfortably without a fan, I'm going out on a limb to say summer is already coming to an end.   :-*

I'm leaving my fan on at all times. I'm conducting an experiment.

Did you die?

« Reply #6721 on: August 20, 2019, 06:48:17 am »
Due to the fact that the nights have been really cool since last Thursday (in Chungnam) and I can sleep comfortably without a fan, I'm going out on a limb to say summer is already coming to an end.   :-*

I'm leaving my fan on at all times. I'm conducting an experiment.

Did you die?

No reply.  He gone.  Send a ham to his widow.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6722 on: August 20, 2019, 07:27:32 am »

steamed hams?

« Reply #6723 on: August 20, 2019, 03:32:49 pm »

steamed hams?

I prefer a nice ham shank.
Who is here in 2019?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6724 on: August 21, 2019, 08:12:11 am »
I'm that special kind of hungover where you wonder why you're so hot and you realise that it's because your body can't sweat cuz you're like a raisin.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6725 on: August 21, 2019, 08:48:52 pm »

steamed hams?

This is Korea!  >:(
Send a nicely packaged gift set of canned spam.

« Reply #6726 on: August 22, 2019, 08:18:27 am »

steamed hams?

To be fair, Spam gift sets are the best gift sets. At least I need nine cans of Spam. I don't need 3 litres of canola oil or twenty tubes of bad toothpaste.

« Reply #6727 on: August 22, 2019, 10:41:01 am »

steamed hams?

To be fair, Spam gift sets are the best gift sets. At least I need nine cans of Spam. I don't need 3 litres of canola oil or twenty tubes of bad toothpaste.

It took me a few years to get used the idea that receiving twenty tubes of toothpaste was not a hint about bad breath.  Or the Korean tradition of giving 10 litres of Persil, or a three pack of Mr Muscle or 400 hundred toilet rolls, was not any suggestion, my clothes were filthy, my kitchen was a filthy shithole or I was not wiping my bumbum. 

« Reply #6728 on: August 23, 2019, 11:40:01 am »
Anyone get so hungry that they start to burp?

Like a lot, too, not talking about that stray one from here and there.

« Reply #6729 on: August 27, 2019, 02:05:59 pm »
Currently my vice-principal who I've been working with for years will become a principal next week, which is sad.  All the teachers have described him as 꼼꼼한 (meticulous).  The new VP coming in has been described as 깐깐이 (very particular).  When I asked my Korean friends about the difference, they ranged from no difference between 깐깐이 and 꼼꼼한 to 꼼꼼한 is much kinder.   :laugh: Will see for myself next week what the difference is. 

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #6730 on: August 27, 2019, 03:29:06 pm »
Currently my vice-principal who I've been working with for years will become a principal next week, which is sad.  All the teachers have described him as 꼼꼼한 (meticulous).  The new VP coming in has been described as 깐깐이 (very particular).  When I asked my Korean friends about the difference, they ranged from no difference between 깐깐이 and 꼼꼼한 to 꼼꼼한 is much kinder.   :laugh: Will see for myself next week what the difference is. 

My guess would be that 꼼꼼한/meticulous is a positive as in thorough and on top of things, while 깐깐이/particular is going to be petty and nit-picky.  Good luck.

• T.J.
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #6731 on: August 27, 2019, 10:48:50 pm »

My guess would be that 꼼꼼한/meticulous is a positive as in thorough and on top of things, while 깐깐이/particular is going to be petty and nit-picky.  Good luck.

👆👆👆
This. 꼼꼼한 has a much better connotation than 깐깐하다. The first being meticulous or even anal. The latter being more nit-picky. While both are striving for precision the first focuses on achieving it while the second is more focused on finding shortcomings. Have fun and good luck!
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

« Reply #6732 on: August 28, 2019, 06:49:24 am »

This. 꼼꼼한 has a much better connotation than 깐깐하다. The first being meticulous or even anal. The latter being more nit-picky. While both are striving for precision the first focuses on achieving it while the second is more focused on finding shortcomings. Have fun and good luck!

Thanks.  I thought it was interesting with some of my Korean friends opinions, that some of them thought that there was no difference.  While I've had my current VP for years, I've got away with adding a few extra (not on NEIS) holidays after my summer and winter vacation.  Just a couple of days added on, instead of coming in for desk-warming, and he didn't say anything.  Maybe that will be the difference between 깐깐이 and 꼼꼼한.  :undecided:

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #6733 on: August 28, 2019, 07:35:45 am »
Thanks.  I thought it was interesting with some of my Korean friends opinions, that some of them thought that there was no difference.  While I've had my current VP for years, I've got away with adding a few extra (not on NEIS) holidays after my summer and winter vacation.  Just a couple of days added on, instead of coming in for desk-warming, and he didn't say anything.  Maybe that will be the difference between 깐깐이 and 꼼꼼한.  :undecided:

How did you manage to get the free days? damn that's lucky!!!
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

« Reply #6734 on: August 28, 2019, 08:45:18 am »

How did you manage to get the free days? damn that's lucky!!!

Not lucky.  I suppose it's a good thing to work in a high school with loads of teachers, that these things are not checked day to day.  It was my kind of a sneaky plan, do my NEIS stuff two months before so by the time the holidays come everyone has forgotten how long I'd put down and after me not being in school for two and a half weeks, nobody really notices an extra day or two. From experience, high school is way more cool that middle and especially elementary when it comes to this.  I always found that the level of school, on the whole, related to how you were treated.  High school teachers teach basically adults so the teachers are treated as such.  Elementary school teach tiny kids so the teachers are treated as such.  Not all the time, but mostly. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6735 on: August 29, 2019, 08:04:46 am »

steamed hams?

Who needs spam? O.o
I get the sentimental reason for giving spam in Korea, but do people still actually eat it these days? O.o

« Reply #6736 on: August 29, 2019, 11:43:19 am »
Who needs spam? O.o
I get the sentimental reason for giving spam in Korea, but do people still actually eat it these days? O.o

I can attest to the fact that they do, indeed, still eat spam, and that it's a favorite food here. xD

It's been a long time since I've had any, but it seems like the spam they sell in Korea is not as salty as the spam that gets sold in the States.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6737 on: August 29, 2019, 11:50:26 am »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-24140705

Spam products currently being sold in Korea are made with more high-quality ingredients than other countries as Korean manufacturer took advantage of the name which gained its popularity during and after Korean War as a smuggled or leaked ration and improved it over time as the country became richer. Because of this, Spam in Korea tastes different from the ones sold in other countries, and is a relatively expensive product compared to its competitors in Korea.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6738 on: August 29, 2019, 11:59:41 am »
That's cool.

It's still pig slop, though. j/s

But it tastes great on pizza.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6739 on: August 29, 2019, 12:45:00 pm »
Who needs spam? O.o

I can attest to the fact that they do, indeed, still eat spam, and that it's a favorite food here. xD

It's been a long time since I've had any, but it seems like the spam they sell in Korea is not as salty as the spam that gets sold in the States.

Ahh :P I've tried spam here and back home, but both times, it literally made me lose my lunch. D: