Read 1030184 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6620 on: June 17, 2019, 01:23:59 pm »
it's best if we just try and navigate a wormhole, minus your smelly shoes, coz they don't half pen and ink.
Without context, this read like somebody is having a stroke.
In context, well, uh, are you currently smelling colours?   :shocked:

Pen and ink = stink

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6621 on: June 17, 2019, 01:40:49 pm »
it's best if we just try and navigate a wormhole, minus your smelly shoes, coz they don't half pen and ink.
Without context, this read like somebody is having a stroke.
In context, well, uh, are you currently smelling colours?   :shocked:
Pen and ink = stink
That's the most cockneyed bit of slang I've heard all day!  :laugh:

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #6622 on: June 17, 2019, 11:21:34 pm »
Wouldn't you adam and eve it!
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6623 on: June 18, 2019, 11:45:24 am »
Another teacher came into the office crying today, because the lower level students were giving her trouble.

I'd say I feel bad for her, but this is what happens when you don't discipline kids. I can't imagine these adults actually demanding respect for a change.
The World Ends With You

« Reply #6624 on: June 20, 2019, 01:42:25 pm »
I often think about how swearing is used in different languages and how I kind of miss random English swearing.  Words that I used to take for granted.  Like in Korea, swearing is kind of used in a very negative way and will probably end up in some kind of confrontation.  I mean even the '18' swear word can sound really harsh.  It's one i really don't like, it just sounds horrible.

I say this partly as I was listening to the Ricky Gervais podcast and at the end of one of the episodes he says 'You make me look a kock and you look a twaat', which I found really funny for some reason, as I just thought about it literally, and how it is taken in a funny way.  If you were to say '좆 같은놈' which is 'you look like a kock', there will be some shit going down.  Just interesting how different cultures use swearing in different ways.  To me, swearing is nothing.  You could call me every single swear word on the planet and you'll get no reaction whatsoever because at primary school, the old adage 'sticks and stones' was drummed into us. 

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6625 on: June 20, 2019, 01:46:01 pm »
I often think about how swearing is used in different languages and how I kind of miss random English swearing.  Words that I used to take for granted.  Like in Korea, swearing is kind of used in a very negative way and will probably end up in some kind of confrontation.  I mean even the '18' swear word can sound really harsh.  It's one i really don't like, it just sounds horrible.

I say this partly as I was listening to the Ricky Gervais podcast and at the end of one of the episodes he says 'You make me look a kock and you look a twaat', which I found really funny for some reason, as I just thought about it literally, and how it is taken in a funny way.  If you were to say '좆 같은놈' which is 'you look like a kock', there will be some shit going down.  Just interesting how different cultures use swearing in different ways.  To me, swearing is nothing.  You could call me every single swear word on the planet and you'll get no reaction whatsoever because at primary school, the old adage 'sticks and stones' was drummed into us. 

Yeah, I find Korean to be much more about what you say than how you say it, where as it's the complete opposite in English.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6626 on: June 20, 2019, 01:55:31 pm »

Yeah I totally agree on that.

I think there's an absurdity to it when Brits swear and I can't put my finger on why that is.  I think you're right on swearing usually being taken in a funny way.  Still on the Gervais subject, I remember him saying that Brits use humour as a sword and a shield and that humour is our way of becoming comfortable with someone or making an awkward encounter less awkward.  Perhaps swearing and the way we swear is a big part of that.

EDIT:  Yeah I think CO2 hit the nail on the head.  I'm not sure if Korea has that style of humour.

« Reply #6627 on: June 20, 2019, 02:13:39 pm »
Yeah, I find Korean to be much more about what you say than how you say it, where as it's the complete opposite in English.

I wasn't talking to you dickcheese.   :P

Sounds about right though, you big ballbag.  Takes a bit of getting used to.  When I lived in Scandinavia, I used their swearing as it was quite similar to British swearing in its use.  But in Korea, it's just too aggressive.  Maybe stick some honorifics on it and see if makes a difference.  I remember hearing that if you say '엿 먹어' it is still the same as '엿 드세요'.  Fukc me, he bust his nut, but I was using honorifics.  Just no pleasing some people.  I was being polite.   :laugh:

I think there's an absurdity to it when Brits swear and I can't put my finger on why that is.  I think you're right on swearing usually being taken in a funny way.  Still on the Gervais subject, I remember him saying that Brits use humour as a sword and a shield and that humour is our way of becoming comfortable with someone or making an awkward encounter less awkward.  Perhaps swearing and the way we swear is a big part of that.

And as for you, bellend.   :P

I'm sure Gervais knows too.  Head like a fukcing orange.  Dopey fukcing twaat.  I'm sure that endeared him to Karl. 

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #6628 on: June 20, 2019, 02:22:11 pm »

There might be something to how you say it, though - my (Korean) husband once showed me a video he thought was interesting/funny, which was a Korean woman leaning out of a window and swearing with an unusual intonation (to me, it sounded like she could have just been calling to someone outside the window, not angry, just getting attention). So there might, in fact, be a way to swear that has less bite in Korean, that might have something to do with intonation. That's as much as I know, though...

« Reply #6629 on: June 21, 2019, 06:55:34 am »
There might be something to how you say it, though - my (Korean) husband once showed me a video he thought was interesting/funny, which was a Korean woman leaning out of a window and swearing with an unusual intonation (to me, it sounded like she could have just been calling to someone outside the window, not angry, just getting attention). So there might, in fact, be a way to swear that has less bite in Korean, that might have something to do with intonation. That's as much as I know, though...

I think there is definitely something in this too.  I remember a while back carrying something with a Korean girlfriend.  It started to slip a bit and I said '18' in Korean, more to do with the situation of the thing slipping, but she took it as a slight against her.  I thought I was just saying shit, but it's possible with how I said it, that it was directed at her.  Which it wasn't.  She didn't talk to me for a day.   :sad:

« Reply #6630 on: June 21, 2019, 08:33:03 am »
****** love this thread.
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #6631 on: June 21, 2019, 10:31:58 am »
I witnessed my first Korean police car chase last night.

I was walking home from gym when I heard a KP blaring his siren off and on, and using his car PA system to "sternly" tell the SUV he was chasing to stop and pull over. The driver was a guy in his late 20s to early 30s, and he wasn't having it. He kept trying to lose the cop by dashing into neighborhood blocks at whopping 40 kph speeds, inevitably coming back out onto the main street I was on with the cop tailing him at no more than 10-15 feet behind. I think they must have circled me at least five times, and I kept hearing the officer's voice like how you do with those early morning fruit bongo trucks. Officer sounded both annoyed and bored. Driver seemed nervous, but not drunk. We made eye contact. He wanted me to know that he was a badass.

It was glorious.

« Reply #6632 on: June 21, 2019, 10:52:05 am »
The low-speed police chase is an under-appreciated gem. Anyone can do a high-speeder, but it takes real art to pull of the low-speed. The low speed is all about you, the suspect, just not giving an eff. Defying authority. And doing everything you can to make a mockery of the cops, all without endangering people and knowing its going to end, but because it was low speed, the cops can't come in and start wailing on you.

It's like drugs and celebrities. Most celebrities are all about uppers. But a few are into downers and they give interviews on downers. Those are the ones to watch.

« Reply #6633 on: June 21, 2019, 12:03:35 pm »
This will be a serious problem...

« Reply #6634 on: June 24, 2019, 01:59:48 pm »
I really need to get started on inputting student speaking test results, but I can't be arsed to do it right now. Nothing to report on that except that it was the usual hell brought to you by the letter "F". I really wish I could convince my schools to let me have the students do speaking projects in place of them, but they won't allow it because it's too unconventional for them (i.e. they actually want a great variance of grades among all of the students and are afraid that the more advanced students won't be able to shine over the rest of their peers enough). I get it, but I still think it's bullshit.

I also want to make this cake, but substituting red pepper powder (the stuff you use for kimchi) for the cayenne.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:13:18 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #6635 on: June 24, 2019, 02:11:22 pm »
Also, has anyone made homemade gummi candies for camp before?

« Reply #6636 on: June 24, 2019, 03:02:54 pm »

Make sure you hit up Costco for industrial quantities of bog roll if you proceed with this activity.
Who is here in 2019?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6637 on: June 24, 2019, 03:28:17 pm »
Make sure you hit up Costco for industrial quantities of bog roll if you proceed with this activity.

For the longest time, I thought that meant sleeping bag.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6638 on: June 25, 2019, 09:05:41 am »
Some people have all the luck with names...

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6639 on: June 25, 2019, 09:35:09 am »
Some people have all the luck with names...

The joys of fauxtherhood