Read 1085539 times

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6560 on: June 08, 2019, 12:58:00 pm »
Why can't i buy fresh vegetables, meat or fruit after midnight?

I live in a place with 50,000 people (a small town by korean standards) and not a single bloody place can i get those things after midnight. It's nearly 5am and i have crisscrossed the town three times and will settle on a can of tuna, half moldy cauliflower and limp green peppers to make a late night/early morning dish (stirfry i guess, with no garlic or onions or potatoes or carrots for a soup. Ugh. Will go heavy on ground black pepper.
I live in a city of 250,000 and i doubt you'd find anywhere selling meat and vege after midnight here either. Why would you? Do 24 hr supermarkets exist in Korea?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #6561 on: June 08, 2019, 08:50:43 pm »
Samsung Tesco's Homeplus, used to go there at 4 am, usually still packed... :azn:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 10:00:49 pm by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

« Reply #6562 on: June 08, 2019, 09:35:13 pm »
Some marts are 24 hours, but they can be hard to find. There was a mart near my home that used to be 24 hours, but the owners decided they didn't get enough business for that and started closing at midnight.

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #6563 on: June 08, 2019, 10:03:43 pm »
Yeah, I also had a rather big supermarket in my old neigborhood that was open 24 hours for a while. It just wasn't worth it so later they closed at 1am I think. The place was basically deserted after 11pm so a few months later they started closing at 11pm.
Larger cities would have a 농수산물도매시장 and they open pretty early, like 2 or 3 am. A city of 600,000 has one but that also serves neighboring cities that are also not that small. Suwon, which is a pretty big city, has one of these markets.
Many convenince stores stock a basic selection of fresh produce and some are also open 24 hours. Or ultimately, just do what every normal person does and think ahead a little and buy what you will need. Failing that, just give up cooking whatever you don't have ingredients for in the middle of the night and eat ramyeon or plain rice.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6564 on: June 10, 2019, 12:04:56 pm »
I just find it so weird that the kids at my current middle school are by far the lowest levels I've taught, but they also have used the most English I've seen outside the classroom, even speaking to the other teachers in English from time to time.

Strange, but reassuring to say the least.
The World Ends With You

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6565 on: June 10, 2019, 03:16:04 pm »
 :-* Kevin Teacher, after we clean the fan blades, can you........... delete the water?

:police: ........................

:police: Ah, dry?

:-* Yes, yes! Dry the fan.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #6566 on: June 11, 2019, 07:48:36 am »
:-* Kevin Teacher, after we clean the fan blades, can you........... delete the water?

They've caught on before we did that this is actually a simulation!!
The World Ends With You

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6567 on: June 11, 2019, 10:10:52 am »

r/totallynotrobots

« Reply #6568 on: June 11, 2019, 12:57:11 pm »
I generally binge watch things that I've downloaded, like I did with Black Mirror last week and while doing some searching over the weekend found that they'd made the seventh season of Veep, so downloaded and watched it all.  Having seen all the previous seasons I was kind of surprised they made the seventh season as it was something that should have been canned earlier.  But I think from the finale, that's it now.  When Armando Iannucci stopped writing it lost something being the genius that he is.  But saying that, I still think that Jonah Ryan is still one of the best characters I've seen, even after Iannucci stopped writing.  J-Dog!

That is the thing I find with US vs British comedy.  In the US, if it's still popular and gets viewers it'll, in my opinion, get run into the ground (Simpsons, Veep, The Office, plus others) which I think ruins the show's legacy.  In England, it seems that the writers have more power over when they want to can something.  The Office being a good example.  I mean the difference between The Office and the American version is a case in point.  When Steve Carell finished, that should have been it.  But it carried on, and just wasn't as good.  Gervais and Merchant stopped their version and that was it.  Kind of left you wanting more. 

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #6569 on: June 11, 2019, 07:20:58 pm »
They tried that with Game of Thrones...  :rolleyes:
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6570 on: June 11, 2019, 07:31:02 pm »
on the contrary, they finished GOT too early really. could have done with a few more seasons (if done properly with competent writers. the past 2 seasons were complete shit)

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #6571 on: June 12, 2019, 07:17:34 am »
on the contrary, they finished GOT too early really. could have done with a few more seasons (if done properly with competent writers. the past 2 seasons were complete shit)

It should've gone a bit longer, but also shouldn't have tried going beyond the books, as the writers clearly didn't know how to make their OWN story, though they were exceptional at adapting the books to TV. I'd argue GoT going longer would've been fine if GRRM had finished the books.

Side note, I'm surprised nobody started a thread about the final season. That was a pretty hot topic :laugh:
The World Ends With You

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6572 on: June 12, 2019, 08:47:27 am »
Even reading reddit, people have come up with way better ideas and plots that could have been used instead of what was. There were so many idiotic scenes and events. It felt like the writers didn't even care towards the end, and just wanted to wrap it up ASAP. Plus, the amount of fan service was insane, and just made everything even worse.

The pacing was way off in the final couple of seasons too. Characters seemed to teleport everywhere, whereas in previous seasons it would take time to get to places. Ugh.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #6573 on: June 12, 2019, 09:35:09 am »
Even reading reddit, people have come up with way better ideas and plots that could have been used instead of what was. There were so many idiotic scenes and events. It felt like the writers didn't even care towards the end, and just wanted to wrap it up ASAP. Plus, the amount of fan service was insane, and just made everything even worse.

The pacing was way off in the final couple of seasons too. Characters seemed to teleport everywhere, whereas in previous seasons it would take time to get to places. Ugh.

I think I'm gonna start a thread because I want this to be an actual discussion
The World Ends With You

« Reply #6574 on: June 12, 2019, 01:40:48 pm »
I've been on Waygook on and off for the past five years and I can't ever remember it being worse than it is now.  I try to avoid the politics threads as much as possible but every day there are two or three new ones added and the same people squabbling back and forth about the same things. 

Here's my rant for the day: The ranting, happy, and rambling threads should be threads I can check every day without having to worry about seeing the apologist diatribes, posturing, and politics sh!tposting that are ruining the rest of the forums. It sure would be great if it could stay that way.

Yeah now it's started bleeding into the classic Waygook threads that used to be so much fun to read and post in.  Mister Tim barely posts any more.  Where are CO2 and Chinguetti?  Even Avec has seemingly given up!

Am I romanticising the past or is this really a low point?  :sad:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6575 on: June 12, 2019, 01:47:52 pm »
I have a copy of 1984 in Korean that uses Line 4 as the outline of Geore's head.

Line 4 has always been important to me. I've lived at 3 stations in Gyeonggi-do, so Line 4 has always been an arterial for me to get into Seoul.

And Ansan.

Tonight, I'm lucky because I have some visitors from Canada coming. I met them at my bro's wedding last Sep, it's the Maid of Honour and her husband.

I've been here over 6 years and these are the 2nd and 3rd people to visit me. 1st was my Japanese friend in TO, but she moved back to Japan and THEN visited me.

I wish my friends would get their ass over here one day. :o
The joys of fauxtherhood

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #6576 on: June 12, 2019, 01:52:54 pm »
I've been on Waygook on and off for the past five years and I can't ever remember it being worse than it is now.  I try to avoid the politics threads as much as possible but every day there are two or three new ones added and the same people squabbling back and forth about the same things. 

Here's my rant for the day: The ranting, happy, and rambling threads should be threads I can check every day without having to worry about seeing the apologist diatribes, posturing, and politics sh!tposting that are ruining the rest of the forums. It sure would be great if it could stay that way.

Yeah now it's started bleeding into the classic Waygook threads that used to be so much fun to read and post in.  Mister Tim barely posts any more.  Where are CO2 and Chinguetti?  Even Avec has seemingly given up!

The tools from Dave's ESL Cafe transferred their visas over to Waygook....turned it into the same nonsense Dave's WAS known for (it is a wasteland now).

« Reply #6577 on: June 12, 2019, 02:20:12 pm »

I've been here over 6 years and these are the 2nd and 3rd people to visit me. 1st was my Japanese friend in TO, but she moved back to Japan and THEN visited me.

I hear you.  Out of all my family and friends,  only my dad has been here and he's been three times and he's in his late seventies.  He usually includes a week in China as he is learning Chinese, so wants to do a bit of practicing and wandering around there before he comes here.  Then he's headed to Korea for five or so days to stay with me, and it's always been really nice.  Showing someone else around makes you realise you take these things for granted.  I took him to Taean on the west coast (about an hour from me) to a beach in September a few years back and, as it was out of season there were no people, even though it was in the twenties, also the water was perfectly clear, so we both had a swim.  Due to ill health  :sad: he'll not be over again, which is a shame as I have my storming new apartment. 

« Reply #6578 on: June 12, 2019, 02:28:03 pm »

I hear you.  Out of all my family and friends,  only my dad has been here and he's been three times and he's in his late seventies.  He usually includes a week in China as he is learning Chinese, so wants to do a bit of practicing and wandering around there before he comes here.  Then he's headed to Korea for five or so days to stay with me, and it's always been really nice.  Showing someone else around makes you realise you take these things for granted.  I took him to Taean on the west coast (about an hour from me) to a beach in September a few years back and, as it was out of season there were no people, even though it was in the twenties, also the water was perfectly clear, so we both had a swim.  Due to ill health  :sad: he'll not be over again, which is a shame as I have my storming new apartment. 

That's a lovely story; glad your dad enjoyed Korea and sorry to hear about his health.  I feel exactly the same whenever my parents visit me here.  I can show them around but also be a tourist with them.  It's great haha!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6579 on: June 12, 2019, 02:47:24 pm »
Due to ill health
I'm sorry to hear that. :sad:

Showing someone else around makes you realise you take these things for granted.
My parents and siblings have all come to visit, despite being scattered across 4 continents, and I've had a number of friends drop by as well.
It's totally true that one discovers a lot about one's home when showing others around! Especially when they come for the second or third time, and you've run out of the go-to touristy spots and need to actually think about new spots to visit!

It's true. Maybe all the well-balanced, interesting people are all focusing on their actual jobs now. Such a waste. Soon I'll be left with nothing to moderate except the Lesson planning threads which, aside from spelling errors and the occasional accidental (?) inclusions of boobs in powerpoints intended for middle schoolers (true story!), there's nothing much to do.  :sad:

MWGA!