Read 1002482 times

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6520 on: May 18, 2019, 11:37:16 am »
 :-* "Kevin Teacher, you got 80 percent on PC 지키미, that's not good.

Why, cuz I didn't update Microsoft Office? Gyeonggi doesn't even let us use that anymore. And the password needs to change? Why? Every teacher just puts their password on a memo and sticks it to their screen.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6521 on: May 18, 2019, 03:36:16 pm »
The IT guy just "upgraded" the English classes computers to Windows 10. These computers could barely run Windows 7. Not only that, but this dorkus has just installed what I assume to be every ActiveX plugin known to man. Every 3min, one pops up asking for updates, warning of Trojans/malware and just making using the computer pretty much unusable, PPTs crash 50% of the time.

yep. i have posted this before, but this happened to me at my old school. i eventually got completely up and uninstalled ALL the bullshit useless korean bloatware and the computer was instantly useable again. i mean, it didn't take 10 minutes to boot up, or 5 minutes to open word. and i got no annoying pop-ups every 10 minutes.

but the next day? IT guy comes around, installing them all again, telling me not to uninstall them. computer was unusable for the rest of the year again.

can anyone actually explain to me the point of this bloatware? none of it even does anything useful, and some won't even let you actually uninstall it without brute forcing it. can't get my head around it
They generate revenue for well-connected software vendors.
similar reason we always had to use the same shitty english books, then - the principal was getting a backhander for using them every year

« Reply #6522 on: May 18, 2019, 05:15:47 pm »
The bloatware wouldn't even be as much of an issue if they stopped using the cheapest computers they could buy 5-10 years ago.

I originally switched my computer to English, too, but then they installed new software that made the computer crash unless it was in Korean, and I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out why. I tried to uninstall the new software, too, but that requires a password, even if I try to do it manually, and I'm too afraid that using hacking tools will brick the computer (I've done it before).

Special school, not your run-of-the-mill public school software. Really acts like malware in every way.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #6523 on: May 18, 2019, 11:21:07 pm »
The IT guy just "upgraded" the English classes computers to Windows 10. These computers could barely run Windows 7. Not only that, but this dorkus has just installed what I assume to be every ActiveX plugin known to man. Every 3min, one pops up asking for updates, warning of Trojans/malware and just making using the computer pretty much unusable, PPTs crash 50% of the time.

yep. i have posted this before, but this happened to me at my old school. i eventually got completely up and uninstalled ALL the bullshit useless korean bloatware and the computer was instantly useable again. i mean, it didn't take 10 minutes to boot up, or 5 minutes to open word. and i got no annoying pop-ups every 10 minutes.

but the next day? IT guy comes around, installing them all again, telling me not to uninstall them. computer was unusable for the rest of the year again.

can anyone actually explain to me the point of this bloatware? none of it even does anything useful, and some won't even let you actually uninstall it without brute forcing it. can't get my head around it
They generate revenue for well-connected software vendors.

Indeed, like many things here, it's also about going through the motions.

The CT in question is pretty clueless about computers and has this paranoia about letting me use them, she'll hover over me till I tell her that what she's doing is annoying. I think she has this belief that before coming to Korea, I've never used a computer before (My uncle showed me how to build, fix and do basic programing at the age of 12). Since it's not my computer, I can only give her advice as to why the PC now takes 5 minutes to start up, Powerpoint constantly crashes and incessant popups. Advice, which she never listens to.

If I didn't bring my own laptop to work everyday, I'd probably have burned the school down by now.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6524 on: May 18, 2019, 11:37:38 pm »
my friend works with a chinese guy (in england). the chinese guy is always installing chinese software which, he believes, speeds up the computer and makes it safer. it drives the IT guy insane. his computer constantly needs to be cleaned out, yet the chinese guy insists on reinstalling this bloatware/spyware, but blames then blames the hardware when the computer slows down or becomes unusable.

so.. it's not just korea :/

actually, my friend thought he was korean (he used to live in korea and was used to korean shitty software) for the longest time

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6525 on: May 21, 2019, 11:35:04 am »
haha
I'm done. y'all can have it.
If waygook.org forums is going to be the one place in your tiny worlds and problematic misogynistic lives where you can gang up to control
and defend your toxic masculinity together...have at it.

I'm out.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:36:55 am by JVPrice »
The World Ends With You

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6526 on: May 21, 2019, 11:35:51 am »
   Hey all, I moved the discussion about communications between gender to here because there was a lot of discussion on the topic and it uh, deserved it's own page, but also because some of it was pretty heated and I didn't want the inevitable arguments to wreck this thread.  :smiley:

« Reply #6527 on: May 23, 2019, 07:02:39 am »
Was a bit weird playing playstation with some friends in their late-teens and them never having heard of smashing up phone boxes to get a roast beef or an apple for energy.   :undecided:  I mean what are they learning from games these days?  Stealth?  Who doesn't like to smash up a letterbox or phone box and get a whole roast chicken?  Mmmmm, chicken....   :-*

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #6528 on: May 23, 2019, 07:10:05 am »
Was a bit weird playing playstation with some friends in their late-teens and them never having heard of smashing up phone boxes to get a roast beef or an apple for energy.   :undecided:  I mean what are they learning from games these days?  Stealth?  Who doesn't like to smash up a letterbox or phone box and get a whole roast chicken?  Mmmmm, chicken....   :-*

All the games are about healing like Wolverine these days. Shooting games are the biggest offender of this. Taking straight sniper bullets to the chest and healing in 15 seconds.

I do miss some old Arcade elements! Beat 'em ups were at their peak then
The World Ends With You

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6529 on: May 23, 2019, 07:29:19 am »
the streets of rage soundtracks are amazing. i still listen to them sometimes

« Reply #6530 on: May 23, 2019, 07:39:12 am »
the streets of rage soundtracks are amazing. i still listen to them sometimes

oh yeah!  Yuzo Koshiro is an absolute legend.  Did loads of stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuzo_Koshiro

My particular favourite from Streets of Rage 2.  From 1992 as well.  Well before its time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRDKoBfKDLo

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6532 on: May 23, 2019, 11:02:48 am »

« Reply #6533 on: May 24, 2019, 05:01:42 pm »
Gotta love a Friday double lesson. Only student shows up 40 minutes late. Proceeds to lay her head on the desk and stare blankly at me for next 60 minutes. I love Fridays.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #6534 on: June 03, 2019, 11:27:08 am »
Front page is starting to get very political again. Just gonna revive this thread real quick and hope some new topics come up :laugh:
The World Ends With You

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #6535 on: June 03, 2019, 01:20:32 pm »
Front page is starting to get very political again. Just gonna revive this thread real quick and hope some new topics come up :laugh:

Loving the hatred and prejudice people bring on a teaching board, quality stuff really. I have officially decided to avoid those posts for my own well being!

AYE the weather is nice today!  ^_^
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6536 on: June 03, 2019, 01:32:59 pm »
A student came into class wearing a Smiths, "Queen is dead" shirt. I've been burnt too many times before with people people wearing shirts of things that they didn't know anything about, so i contained by excitement. I asked him nonchalantly "do you like The Smiths?" But,no. He didn't know it was band.
I guess uniqlo or something has put Smiths album covers on t-shirts this season. There are a lot worse things that could be put on the front of a shirt.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6537 on: June 03, 2019, 01:43:44 pm »
A student came into class wearing a Smiths, "Queen is dead" shirt. I've been burnt too many times before with people people wearing shirts of things that they didn't know anything about, so i contained by excitement. I asked him nonchalantly "do you like The Smiths?" But,no. He didn't know it was band.
I guess uniqlo or something has put Smiths album covers on t-shirts this season. There are a lot worse things that could be put on the front of a shirt.
Cue this summer's Korean blockbuster: "The Smiths *not starring Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt" and hordes of middleschool students referring to each other as "this charming man (regardless of gender)", and constantly asking you "how soon is now?"

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6538 on: June 03, 2019, 01:55:06 pm »

Loving the hatred and prejudice people bring on a teaching board, quality stuff really. I have officially decided to avoid those posts for my own well being!
If only more people could learn this trick, this forum, and the internet as a whole, would be so much better.

« Reply #6539 on: June 03, 2019, 01:56:45 pm »

I remember years ago, when I first moved to korea thinking "wow, the ramones are huge over here!"