Read 958880 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6420 on: April 09, 2019, 12:47:29 pm »
I don't know about these security guards, every single one of them have been old pricks who seem to like going out of their way to be an asshole towards me, with like two exceptions.

i think 'security' should be used in the loosest possible terms with them.  if i were any kind of criminal, which I'm not, I'm sure it's a piece of piss to try and overpower or outrun one of them.  so, i'm going to try a little test and tape his wallet to a tortoise and see if he can catch it.  i doubt it though. 

Similar to the crosswalk guards who don't really help the kids cross. They don't even step into the road, let alone put their baton arm far enough out to be noticed by oncoming traffic. Heaven forbid one of these kids get hit, the guard'll have no fault in it thinking they "did their job"

Yeah although they are volunteers and trying to help out they are absolutely useless.  The ones in the western world even walk adults across the road!
Who is here in 2019?

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
« Reply #6421 on: April 09, 2019, 01:52:31 pm »
Sounds more like a selfish scheme  to me to get those extra steps in to get to that 10.000 steps a day. Koreans obviously need not bother with losing weight.
green everything

« Reply #6422 on: April 09, 2019, 02:29:22 pm »
something I'll never understand here is the teachers who are hired in for five or six classes a week.  example is the dance teacher here, he's obviously getting paid for teaching my students, but at the moment he's sat on his arse using his phone and my students are also using their phones.  it is dance class.  do something active.  do these people not know a: responsibility or b: the fact they're paid for teaching students?  i would feel guilty if another school asked me to work there and I just turned up and did nothing with the students.  can you imagine? 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6423 on: April 09, 2019, 02:32:41 pm »
something I'll never understand here is the teachers who are hired in for five or six classes a week.  example is the dance teacher here, he's obviously getting paid for teaching my students, but at the moment he's sat on his arse using his phone and my students are also using their phones.  it is dance class.  do something active.  do these people not know a: responsibility or b: the fact they're paid for teaching students?  i would feel guilty if another school asked me to work there and I just turned up and did nothing with the students.  can you imagine?

I'm a public school teacher, with only 9 classes per week.
I actually try to do things with the students though. :p

« Reply #6424 on: April 09, 2019, 02:36:42 pm »

not you Kayos, you are salaried.  i'm talking about the ones who are 'outside' instructors who come in for some classes and then go.  you're (not you) being paid for a few classes, do something, especially not effing SNS on your phone.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6425 on: April 09, 2019, 02:40:22 pm »

not you Kayos, you are salaried.  i'm talking about the ones who are 'outside' instructors who come in for some classes and then go.  you're (not you) being paid for a few classes, do something, especially not effing SNS on your phone.

Ahh yeah, and that isn't professional at all either. :\

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #6426 on: April 09, 2019, 03:25:15 pm »
How do you deal with new members of staff that don't acknowledge a smile and hello? Do you just brush it off or do you hold a grudge for the rest of your life like I do?

I just ignore them back. Most of the time they don't care and accept it as is, but I've had one guy complain about me being disrespectful, and I just blasted right back about how disrespectful HE was. Like why am I going to go through the trouble of greeting you if you're just going to rudely ignore me? That's not the way the world works, and they're ****** old enough to know that, so they get no passes.

I don't know about these security guards, every single one of them have been old pricks who seem to like going out of their way to be an asshole towards me, with like two exceptions.

And my current school security guard is not just a petty old prick, he's a pervert, too. He's ornery with everyone except the pretty female students, and he's always trying to talk to them. It's so creepy, and he clearly makes them uncomfortable. So a year back I started glaring at him, and now he doesn't bother looking my way anymore, and if I see him chatting with female students I'll usually go on over to interrupt and take over the conversation, so now he just heads back to his guard station if he sees me.

talking about mildly irritating  security guards....

moved into my wife's apt at the end of dec. finished school early jan, so i had a big chunk of winter vacation immediately following my move-in. i'd hit the gym at 6am to get it out of the way and then just chill out the rest of the day. i'd try to take care of all the house errands because i was on vaca and my wife was working every day.

one morning i gotta drop some sht off at the dry cleaners which happens to be directly across the street from my apt. i walk outta the building holding a bag from the dry cleaners that literally has their logo and name on it filled with clothes i'm gonna drop off. the fuking gremlin adjossi walks out of his little hut and gestures me over to him. i hadn't really talked to anybody since i moved in, so i figured this would be a great chance to say hi and just be cool with him.

he doesn't greet me or anything - just aggressively asks me where i'm going. he made a point to come out of the guard shack just to ask me where im going. i look at him, then to my huge dry cleaners bag stuffed with clothes, and then back at him. i thought it was a joke or something but then it hits me...this fella has never seen me here before and now he's trying to flex. coolcoolcoolcoolcool bro. i didn't say anything, i just asked him where HE was going. it was like his mind broke. he just kinda stared at me and then walked away.

flash forward to present day - i get up at 5am every morning, make a cup of coffee, and bring it downstairs to the smoking area outside so i can rip a heater to start my day. that security guard must work the early shift because i see him every morning walking to the guard shack. i make it a point to say good morning and ask him where he's going EVERY MORNING. at first he didn't say sht but now he just hits me with a head nod or a quick hello. i actually kinda feel bad because i'm doing it to be a dick but we might be bros now...im not sure. i'll keep you guys updated.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:47:03 pm by kyndo »
too many blueprints & not enough architects

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6427 on: April 09, 2019, 03:27:02 pm »
flash forward to present day - i get up at 5am every morning, make a cup of coffee, and bring it downstairs to the smoking area outside so i can rip a heater to start my day.

Your wife makes you fart outside?
The joys of fauxtherhood

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #6428 on: April 09, 2019, 03:40:00 pm »
flash forward to present day - i get up at 5am every morning, make a cup of coffee, and bring it downstairs to the smoking area outside so i can rip a heater to start my day.

Your wife makes you fart outside?

Lol nah just don't wanna stink up our place with cigs
too many blueprints & not enough architects

« Reply #6429 on: April 09, 2019, 03:53:28 pm »
i make it a point to say good morning and ask him where he's going EVERY MORNING. at first he didn't say sht but now he just hits me with a head nod or a quick hello. i actually kinda feel bad because i'm doing it to be a dick but we might be bros now...im not sure. i'll keep you guys updated.
i
 i see a bromance on the horizon.  let us know if it escalates and how your holiday together on Jeju goes. 

« Reply #6430 on: April 15, 2019, 02:10:34 pm »
Can anyone recommend a decent home air freshner/diffuser?  Any that you swear by?

I've tried so many different diffusers but the scent fades after about a day.  I'd love to have fresh flowers all the time but I'd have to take out a sizeable loan to finance that lol.

Links welcome!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6431 on: April 15, 2019, 02:47:51 pm »
Can anyone recommend a decent home air freshner/diffuser?  Any that you swear by?

I've tried so many different diffusers but the scent fades after about a day.  I'd love to have fresh flowers all the time but I'd have to take out a sizeable loan to finance that lol.

Links welcome!
Our apartment complex currently has a few dozen blooming lilac bushes in the park/walkway between the lobby and the parkade.
I just steal a few sprigs of that everyday for the table. The azaleas are coming into bloom now as well, so their stolen corpses will be decorating my table soon as well!  ;D

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #6432 on: April 15, 2019, 03:26:06 pm »

Links welcome!

This is coming from someone who is obsessed with no smells or smelling pleasant which includes my flat. I use an automatic air freshener from Daiso, the refills cost about 2000 won but it lasts me quite a while. The air freshener goes off every 9 minute which is nice. If I want something stronger, those Yankee candles are hella strong. I bought one of the big sizes and light it up every day after making food, place smells like midsummers night dream every night haha!
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

« Reply #6433 on: April 15, 2019, 04:15:03 pm »

Links welcome!

This is coming from someone who is obsessed with no smells or smelling pleasant which includes my flat. I use an automatic air freshener from Daiso, the refills cost about 2000 won but it lasts me quite a while. The air freshener goes off every 9 minute which is nice. If I want something stronger, those Yankee candles are hella strong. I bought one of the big sizes and light it up every day after making food, place smells like midsummers night dream every night haha!

I was always a bit hesitant to try the automatic ones but I'll definitely give them a go now!  Thank you.

Our apartment complex currently has a few dozen blooming lilac bushes in the park/walkway between the lobby and the parkade.
I just steal a few sprigs of that everyday for the table. The azaleas are coming into bloom now as well, so their stolen corpses will be decorating my table soon as well!  ;D

Haha that is a brilliant idea  8)

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6434 on: April 16, 2019, 02:19:39 pm »
Today's highlight:

One student came into the office and was talking to one of the teachers. At one point, he said in Korean "I'll marry my girlfriend."

There was a silence. And then half the office started cracking up. I'd normally not post about this, but one teaching was laughing so hard that she started going crazy. She was literally pulling her hair like some sort of mad women. (Imagine the picture below but with laughter instead).

That to me was funnier than what the student said.

The World Ends With You

« Reply #6435 on: April 16, 2019, 07:45:04 pm »

I've always been amazed at how restless my students get and how short their attention spans are (high school, 50 minute classes).

I come to find out that it's common in my school for the teachers to teach for 30-35 minutes and then let the students "relax and chat" for the remaining 20.  Pretty good work if you can get it isn't it?

« Reply #6436 on: April 17, 2019, 07:18:52 am »
I've always been amazed at how restless my students get and how short their attention spans are (high school, 50 minute classes).

I come to find out that it's common in my school for the teachers to teach for 30-35 minutes and then let the students "relax and chat" for the remaining 20.  Pretty good work if you can get it isn't it?

this made me think of my 80 minute high school classes. i wonder what it's like teaching 80 minute classes..

« Reply #6437 on: April 17, 2019, 02:05:48 pm »
dressing dogs up as penguins is most definitely what the internet was invented for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUmQhtxVVsg

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
The joys of fauxtherhood