Read 1030055 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6420 on: April 09, 2019, 02:40:22 pm »
something I'll never understand here is the teachers who are hired in for five or six classes a week.  example is the dance teacher here, he's obviously getting paid for teaching my students, but at the moment he's sat on his arse using his phone and my students are also using their phones.  it is dance class.  do something active.  do these people not know a: responsibility or b: the fact they're paid for teaching students?  i would feel guilty if another school asked me to work there and I just turned up and did nothing with the students.  can you imagine?

I'm a public school teacher, with only 9 classes per week.
I actually try to do things with the students though. :p

not you Kayos, you are salaried.  i'm talking about the ones who are 'outside' instructors who come in for some classes and then go.  you're (not you) being paid for a few classes, do something, especially not effing SNS on your phone.

Ahh yeah, and that isn't professional at all either. :\

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #6421 on: April 09, 2019, 03:25:15 pm »
How do you deal with new members of staff that don't acknowledge a smile and hello? Do you just brush it off or do you hold a grudge for the rest of your life like I do?

I just ignore them back. Most of the time they don't care and accept it as is, but I've had one guy complain about me being disrespectful, and I just blasted right back about how disrespectful HE was. Like why am I going to go through the trouble of greeting you if you're just going to rudely ignore me? That's not the way the world works, and they're ****** old enough to know that, so they get no passes.

I don't know about these security guards, every single one of them have been old pricks who seem to like going out of their way to be an asshole towards me, with like two exceptions.

And my current school security guard is not just a petty old prick, he's a pervert, too. He's ornery with everyone except the pretty female students, and he's always trying to talk to them. It's so creepy, and he clearly makes them uncomfortable. So a year back I started glaring at him, and now he doesn't bother looking my way anymore, and if I see him chatting with female students I'll usually go on over to interrupt and take over the conversation, so now he just heads back to his guard station if he sees me.

talking about mildly irritating  security guards....

moved into my wife's apt at the end of dec. finished school early jan, so i had a big chunk of winter vacation immediately following my move-in. i'd hit the gym at 6am to get it out of the way and then just chill out the rest of the day. i'd try to take care of all the house errands because i was on vaca and my wife was working every day.

one morning i gotta drop some sht off at the dry cleaners which happens to be directly across the street from my apt. i walk outta the building holding a bag from the dry cleaners that literally has their logo and name on it filled with clothes i'm gonna drop off. the fuking gremlin adjossi walks out of his little hut and gestures me over to him. i hadn't really talked to anybody since i moved in, so i figured this would be a great chance to say hi and just be cool with him.

he doesn't greet me or anything - just aggressively asks me where i'm going. he made a point to come out of the guard shack just to ask me where im going. i look at him, then to my huge dry cleaners bag stuffed with clothes, and then back at him. i thought it was a joke or something but then it hits me...this fella has never seen me here before and now he's trying to flex. coolcoolcoolcoolcool bro. i didn't say anything, i just asked him where HE was going. it was like his mind broke. he just kinda stared at me and then walked away.

flash forward to present day - i get up at 5am every morning, make a cup of coffee, and bring it downstairs to the smoking area outside so i can rip a heater to start my day. that security guard must work the early shift because i see him every morning walking to the guard shack. i make it a point to say good morning and ask him where he's going EVERY MORNING. at first he didn't say sht but now he just hits me with a head nod or a quick hello. i actually kinda feel bad because i'm doing it to be a dick but we might be bros now...im not sure. i'll keep you guys updated.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:47:03 pm by kyndo »
too many blueprints & not enough architects

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6422 on: April 09, 2019, 03:27:02 pm »
flash forward to present day - i get up at 5am every morning, make a cup of coffee, and bring it downstairs to the smoking area outside so i can rip a heater to start my day.

Your wife makes you fart outside?
The joys of fauxtherhood

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #6423 on: April 09, 2019, 03:40:00 pm »
flash forward to present day - i get up at 5am every morning, make a cup of coffee, and bring it downstairs to the smoking area outside so i can rip a heater to start my day.

Your wife makes you fart outside?

Lol nah just don't wanna stink up our place with cigs
too many blueprints & not enough architects

« Reply #6424 on: April 09, 2019, 03:53:28 pm »
i make it a point to say good morning and ask him where he's going EVERY MORNING. at first he didn't say sht but now he just hits me with a head nod or a quick hello. i actually kinda feel bad because i'm doing it to be a dick but we might be bros now...im not sure. i'll keep you guys updated.
i
 i see a bromance on the horizon.  let us know if it escalates and how your holiday together on Jeju goes. 

« Reply #6425 on: April 15, 2019, 02:10:34 pm »
Can anyone recommend a decent home air freshner/diffuser?  Any that you swear by?

I've tried so many different diffusers but the scent fades after about a day.  I'd love to have fresh flowers all the time but I'd have to take out a sizeable loan to finance that lol.

Links welcome!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6426 on: April 15, 2019, 02:47:51 pm »
Can anyone recommend a decent home air freshner/diffuser?  Any that you swear by?

I've tried so many different diffusers but the scent fades after about a day.  I'd love to have fresh flowers all the time but I'd have to take out a sizeable loan to finance that lol.

Links welcome!
Our apartment complex currently has a few dozen blooming lilac bushes in the park/walkway between the lobby and the parkade.
I just steal a few sprigs of that everyday for the table. The azaleas are coming into bloom now as well, so their stolen corpses will be decorating my table soon as well!  ;D

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #6427 on: April 15, 2019, 03:26:06 pm »

Links welcome!

This is coming from someone who is obsessed with no smells or smelling pleasant which includes my flat. I use an automatic air freshener from Daiso, the refills cost about 2000 won but it lasts me quite a while. The air freshener goes off every 9 minute which is nice. If I want something stronger, those Yankee candles are hella strong. I bought one of the big sizes and light it up every day after making food, place smells like midsummers night dream every night haha!
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

« Reply #6428 on: April 15, 2019, 04:15:03 pm »

Links welcome!

This is coming from someone who is obsessed with no smells or smelling pleasant which includes my flat. I use an automatic air freshener from Daiso, the refills cost about 2000 won but it lasts me quite a while. The air freshener goes off every 9 minute which is nice. If I want something stronger, those Yankee candles are hella strong. I bought one of the big sizes and light it up every day after making food, place smells like midsummers night dream every night haha!

I was always a bit hesitant to try the automatic ones but I'll definitely give them a go now!  Thank you.

Our apartment complex currently has a few dozen blooming lilac bushes in the park/walkway between the lobby and the parkade.
I just steal a few sprigs of that everyday for the table. The azaleas are coming into bloom now as well, so their stolen corpses will be decorating my table soon as well!  ;D

Haha that is a brilliant idea  8)

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6429 on: April 16, 2019, 02:19:39 pm »
Today's highlight:

One student came into the office and was talking to one of the teachers. At one point, he said in Korean "I'll marry my girlfriend."

There was a silence. And then half the office started cracking up. I'd normally not post about this, but one teaching was laughing so hard that she started going crazy. She was literally pulling her hair like some sort of mad women. (Imagine the picture below but with laughter instead).

That to me was funnier than what the student said.

The World Ends With You

« Reply #6430 on: April 16, 2019, 07:45:04 pm »
something I'll never understand here is the teachers who are hired in for five or six classes a week.  example is the dance teacher here, he's obviously getting paid for teaching my students, but at the moment he's sat on his arse using his phone and my students are also using their phones.  it is dance class.  do something active.  do these people not know a: responsibility or b: the fact they're paid for teaching students?  i would feel guilty if another school asked me to work there and I just turned up and did nothing with the students.  can you imagine? 

I've always been amazed at how restless my students get and how short their attention spans are (high school, 50 minute classes).

I come to find out that it's common in my school for the teachers to teach for 30-35 minutes and then let the students "relax and chat" for the remaining 20.  Pretty good work if you can get it isn't it?

« Reply #6431 on: April 17, 2019, 07:18:52 am »
I've always been amazed at how restless my students get and how short their attention spans are (high school, 50 minute classes).

I come to find out that it's common in my school for the teachers to teach for 30-35 minutes and then let the students "relax and chat" for the remaining 20.  Pretty good work if you can get it isn't it?

this made me think of my 80 minute high school classes. i wonder what it's like teaching 80 minute classes..

« Reply #6432 on: April 17, 2019, 02:05:48 pm »
dressing dogs up as penguins is most definitely what the internet was invented for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUmQhtxVVsg

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6435 on: April 22, 2019, 11:19:17 am »
i sometimes think about how diverse the level of interest and speaking ability has been for my co-teachers that I've had here over the years.  i've worked with some truly wonderful people here.  i understand that to achieve perfect fluent English is tricky given the time and the natural ability of the teachers involved, and also the complexity of English.  there have been a couple of teachers who've been teaching for decades who just seem to come in, teach and then they're done.  There is no real interest in speaking English with me or furthering anymore than what they need in the class.  i've never quite understood how they can't translate decades of teaching English and following grammar rules, not be able to then speak English or make the effort.  i doubt this would be the same for other subjects, would you have a science teacher who has no natural curiosity to learn all they can about science?

then there are the teachers who try really hard, go on their foreign training to the US and Finland etc and have a real natural curiosity for English, but will never be truly fluent in grammar or pronunciation.  most of my co-teachers I've had, love them as I do, fall into this category, and I suppose that makes sense. 

i'd hazard a guess that of the 30 or so co-teachers I've had, that three have perfect pronunciation, make no mistakes and are comfortable speaking only English the whole time without cracking into Korean at some point or use Korean syllables to say English words.  they don't take trips abroad at all but still have mastered English. 

not sure what point I'm trying to make, just something I was thinking about.  feel free to add any kind of teachers that I forgot.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:21:52 am by Ronnie Omelettes »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6436 on: April 22, 2019, 11:26:55 am »
feel free to add any kind of teachers that I forgot.
And then there's the I-can't speak-any-English-at-all,-but-let's-sit-down-for-a-leisurely-cup-of-coffee-and-get-to-know-one-another kind of teacher.
They're usually older, kindly, and take an active interest in the NETs. Their attention would be genuinely pleasant if it wasn't so unbearably awkward. Why insist on sitting next to me and engaging in long conversations when neither of us can communicate effectively?
   These kind of teachers always leave me feeling a bit sad as they're shining examples of all the potentially wonderful relationships that pass us by.  :sad:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6437 on: April 22, 2019, 11:29:24 am »
not sure what point I'm trying to make, just something I was thinking about.

That's fine, it's a thread for pointless ramblings..............  ;D

Wait.

It's not Friday.

GTFO  >:(
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6438 on: April 22, 2019, 11:49:53 am »
not sure what point I'm trying to make, just something I was thinking about.

That's fine, it's a thread for pointless ramblings..............  ;D

Wait.

It's not Friday.

GTFO  >:(
oh, I see....  :shocked:

if it were Friday, you'd be two days away from seeing Iron Man on a 3 squillion metre-squared screen in Yeongdeungpo eating nacho chips, but with not enough cheese sauce or salsa for the amount of chips you get, meaning you have to chuck away half of the nacho chips.  then you realise that the waygooks you sold the other four tickets to are really drunk and causing a scene.  when they check their tickets and see your name on the ticket, you have your platinum membership revoked and you are laughed out of the cinema.  you try to console yourself by eating a cheongyang chili pepper, but that doesn't cheer you up either....

as it is, you have to wait seven days for all of this to happen...

CO2 Shopping List

Hot salsa
Nacho Cheese Dip

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #6439 on: April 22, 2019, 12:44:32 pm »
i sometimes think about how diverse the level of interest and speaking ability has been for my co-teachers that I've had here over the years.  i've worked with some truly wonderful people here.  i understand that to achieve perfect fluent English is tricky given the time and the natural ability of the teachers involved, and also the complexity of English.  there have been a couple of teachers who've been teaching for decades who just seem to come in, teach and then they're done.  There is no real interest in speaking English with me or furthering anymore than what they need in the class.  i've never quite understood how they can't translate decades of teaching English and following grammar rules, not be able to then speak English or make the effort.  i doubt this would be the same for other subjects, would you have a science teacher who has no natural curiosity to learn all they can about science?

then there are the teachers who try really hard, go on their foreign training to the US and Finland etc and have a real natural curiosity for English, but will never be truly fluent in grammar or pronunciation.  most of my co-teachers I've had, love them as I do, fall into this category, and I suppose that makes sense. 

i'd hazard a guess that of the 30 or so co-teachers I've had, that three have perfect pronunciation, make no mistakes and are comfortable speaking only English the whole time without cracking into Korean at some point or use Korean syllables to say English words.  they don't take trips abroad at all but still have mastered English. 

not sure what point I'm trying to make, just something I was thinking about.  feel free to add any kind of teachers that I forgot.

It's an interesting topic of discussion, which I enjoy dissecting.

It's hard to remember how many CTs I've worked with, but I'd estimate it to be around 30. If I include Korean teachers I've worked with during extra classes, camps etc. probably about 50.

Of that 50, I've never met a single one who I'd say had better than good pronunciation. The vocabulary seems to be rather limited too, particularly adjectives; the range of choice never seems to extend far beyond good, bad, hot, cold, delicious, fun, happy and sad. Right now, I'm attempting to teach my students how to read, hear and pronounce the 5 English vowels correctly. My CT likes to repeat what I'm saying, in Korean, and mimic the vowels when I say it, but she usually gets it wrong.

I'd say there are 3 things which influence a Korean teacher's English ability:

1 - How they were taught

Quite simply, CTs teach the way they were taught and I'm going to say that even Martin will agree that the way English was taught  in Korea, 20yrs ago and beyond, was ridiculous. The curiosity of learning a new language was replaced with memories and connotations of stress, anxiety and hate, the brain creates connections between emotions/states of mind and the activity itself, when you're forced and punished into learning English, it's quite likely you'll quickly come to hate it. Confucianism doesn't encourage innovation or expression and regions which adopted this philosophy also adopted it's teachings on teaching and learning; memorise and repeat what the previous generation has done, which is a highly inefficient way to learn a language.

2 - Their motivation (probably the biggest factor)

Public school teachers are essentially tenured, whether their students improve their English ability or not under the teacher's tutelage essentially means nothing. Promotion and advancement in one's career comes down to following orders and being liked by one's seniors. So, other than an intrinsic desire, there's no motivation to stray from the broken curriculum and there's certainly no motivation to improve their own English... I mean, there're dramas to watch.

3 - The purpose of English in Korea

While it's slowly changing and the English level is higher than what I discovered in Japan, I'd say English, in Korea, isn't a language, it's a metric and a means to an end. Sure, there's the bonus of being able to speak English when travelling, but it's hard to think of English as anything more than an arbitrary metric to get into a good university, a good a promotion or gain social status. You could replace testing and studying English with the science of the potato and not much would change. The tests themselves are a joke and rely on rote memorisation, so, cram before the test, pass it and forget everything you've learned. There's no motivation to improve.

I always think of this video to stress my point, it's a basically a channel on Warhammer 40k lore (pretty nerdy stuff), but the narrator is not a native English speaker, he's Norwegian and only studied English at school. He speaks English more fluently and articulately than most native English speakers, no hagwons, no universites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scCYN8PWrro
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 12:50:33 pm by Aristocrat »