Read 1084944 times

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6400 on: April 09, 2019, 07:16:39 am »
I don't know if there's any rules to this, but today there's a bunch of old dudes in suits passing out tiny bibles in front of my school. I know Christianity is followed by many here, but are there really no rules to spreading this stuff onto kids?

I'd imagine parents of a different belief might be very upset by this if they found out. Then again, cultural differences and whatnot. :undecided:
What's the problem?  Is anyone forcibly converting the children to Christianity? Is anyone forcibly making them read it?  What is it about the Bible that people find so threatening?

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6401 on: April 09, 2019, 07:29:20 am »
I don't know if there's any rules to this, but today there's a bunch of old dudes in suits passing out tiny bibles in front of my school. I know Christianity is followed by many here, but are there really no rules to spreading this stuff onto kids?

I'd imagine parents of a different belief might be very upset by this if they found out. Then again, cultural differences and whatnot. :undecided:
What's the problem?  Is anyone forcibly converting the children to Christianity? Is anyone forcibly making them read it?  What is it about the Bible that people find so threatening?

A long and troubled history of wars and other awful deeds using it as justification.

It's not about the book itself but the people who follow it. It's no secret that cults are very prevalent here. Curiosity leads to people (or kids in this case) wanting to know more, and possibly ending up in situations they can't get out of.  (And trust me, I know. I had a long and involved run-in with a Korean cult back in the states.)

Not saying the book is bad by any means. I just don't think kids should have these things pushed on them (unless it's their parents, in which case there's not much say we have in that).
The World Ends With You

« Reply #6402 on: April 09, 2019, 07:37:31 am »

i think it's not so much about the book and more about the action. if someone was handing out the communist manifesto or nietzsche, it would also be strange. no one is making them read it, but just... why?

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #6403 on: April 09, 2019, 07:38:24 am »
One of my middle school 2nd grade boys classes is particularly troublesome this year. They're so troublesome that the school has actually called in an outside counselor to come talk to them for two weeks, and I was given the opportunity for those counselling sessions to take place during the time slot I would be teaching them.  However, I'm not really crazy about the idea of one of my classes being two weeks behind the rest of my classes, so I declined and let one of the other teachers who was clamoring to be rid of that class for two weeks use his class period instead. It'd have been nice to not have deal with that class for two weeks, but it's hard enough to keep my classes on or around the same chapter with all the other normal cancellations and rescheduling.

...I hope I didn't just make a decision I'll regret later, hahaha.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #6404 on: April 09, 2019, 07:41:51 am »

i think it's not so much about the book and more about the action. if someone was handing out the communist manifesto or nietzsche, it would also be strange. no one is making them read it, but just... why?

Societal acceptance of such things is usually pretty one-sided. In the US, the Satanic Temple has taken to handing out literature at schools where churches have been handing out bibles and pamphlets, which usually leads to locals suddenly caring about laws and regulations regarding distribution of religious materials on public school campuses.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6405 on: April 09, 2019, 07:48:51 am »

It's not the bible people find threatening, it's the scare tactics used to try recruit people into their cult. TBH.
A lot of christian people can be really polite and friendly but, they can also be some of the most judgmental, and closed minded, people too.

Praise Cthulhu!

« Reply #6406 on: April 09, 2019, 08:32:13 am »
How do you deal with new members of staff that don't acknowledge a smile and hello? Do you just brush it off or do you hold a grudge for the rest of your life like I do?

Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #6407 on: April 09, 2019, 08:46:09 am »
How do you deal with new members of staff that don't acknowledge a smile and hello? Do you just brush it off or do you hold a grudge for the rest of your life like I do?

the new careers guy has his desk next to mine.  he's in his early fifties and seems to do a lot of man-spreading when he's sat in his seat.  generally, I don't sit at my desk in the teacher's room because my classroom is too far away but I still have a lot of books on my desk. yesterday, he decided to use my desk to sort out his papers for the students.  fine, just for that time is fine.  when I came in to the teacher's room, he didn't really say anything to me about the papers, I mean, it's only my desk with my name on it.  so I thought okay, fine, doesn't matter.  but then I came in this morning and all his papers are sorted but sitting in piles on my desk still.  so, as I am one of the first three teachers in school, I passively aggressively cleared the top part of his desk and put all his papers back on his desk, ready for him when he comes in.  his card is now marked.  there is only enough room for one Silverback in the teacher's room, and it ain't him....

« Reply #6408 on: April 09, 2019, 09:03:36 am »

the new careers guy has his desk next to mine.  he's in his early fifties and seems to do a lot of man-spreading when he's sat in his seat.  generally, I don't sit at my desk in the teacher's room because my classroom is too far away but I still have a lot of books on my desk. yesterday, he decided to use my desk to sort out his papers for the students.  fine, just for that time is fine.  when I came in to the teacher's room, he didn't really say anything to me about the papers, I mean, it's only my desk with my name on it.  so I thought okay, fine, doesn't matter.  but then I came in this morning and all his papers are sorted but sitting in piles on my desk still.  so, as I am one of the first three teachers in school, I passively aggressively cleared the top part of his desk and put all his papers back on his desk, ready for him when he comes in.  his card is now marked.  there is only enough room for one Silverback in the teacher's room, and it ain't him....

This is the sort of stuff I was expecting to see.  Do it!
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #6409 on: April 09, 2019, 09:12:15 am »

The caretaker/groundsman has never acknowledged me.  No greeting, no smile, no bow, nothing.  It's been like this for five years.  At the beginning I always used to say hello, bow etc.  I stopped after about six months of stonewalling lol.  Now we both ignore each other.

Maybe when he was young he threw a smoke bomb at a protest really so I should cut him slack for being a rude pr*ck.

« Reply #6410 on: April 09, 2019, 09:23:32 am »

This is the sort of stuff I was expecting to see.  Do it!

we'll see how it escalates.  start off with simple stuff like putting his stapler in jelly, give him an anti-gravity desk,  then move his desk and other stuff outside into the playground, grow cress in his keyboard, open up a portal into another dimension next to his phone, set his desk on fire, steal his novelty pencil from his desk and send him emails with photos of his novelty pencil in European countries showing how Pencil McPencilface roams the world without him.  that'll teach him. 

« Reply #6411 on: April 09, 2019, 10:16:55 am »

I just ignore them back. Most of the time they don't care and accept it as is, but I've had one guy complain about me being disrespectful, and I just blasted right back about how disrespectful HE was. Like why am I going to go through the trouble of greeting you if you're just going to rudely ignore me? That's not the way the world works, and they're ****** old enough to know that, so they get no passes.

I don't know about these security guards, every single one of them have been old pricks who seem to like going out of their way to be an asshole towards me, with like two exceptions.

And my current school security guard is not just a petty old prick, he's a pervert, too. He's ornery with everyone except the pretty female students, and he's always trying to talk to them. It's so creepy, and he clearly makes them uncomfortable. So a year back I started glaring at him, and now he doesn't bother looking my way anymore, and if I see him chatting with female students I'll usually go on over to interrupt and take over the conversation, so now he just heads back to his guard station if he sees me.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #6412 on: April 09, 2019, 11:45:21 am »

Returning a "hello" about 50x a day to passing students and teachers gets pretty tiresome so I'm somewhat thankful for those miserable old sods. No greeting from them and no need to return a greeting, win-win.

« Reply #6413 on: April 09, 2019, 11:53:06 am »
I don't know about these security guards, every single one of them have been old pricks who seem to like going out of their way to be an asshole towards me, with like two exceptions.

i think 'security' should be used in the loosest possible terms with them.  if i were any kind of criminal, which I'm not, I'm sure it's a piece of piss to try and overpower or outrun one of them.  so, i'm going to try a little test and tape his wallet to a tortoise and see if he can catch it.  i doubt it though. 

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6414 on: April 09, 2019, 12:15:54 pm »

i think 'security' should be used in the loosest possible terms with them.  if i were any kind of criminal, which I'm not, I'm sure it's a piece of piss to try and overpower or outrun one of them.  so, i'm going to try a little test and tape his wallet to a tortoise and see if he can catch it.  i doubt it though. 

Similar to the crosswalk guards who don't really help the kids cross. They don't even step into the road, let alone put their baton arm far enough out to be noticed by oncoming traffic. Heaven forbid one of these kids get hit, the guard'll have no fault in it thinking they "did their job"
The World Ends With You

« Reply #6415 on: April 09, 2019, 12:47:29 pm »

Similar to the crosswalk guards who don't really help the kids cross. They don't even step into the road, let alone put their baton arm far enough out to be noticed by oncoming traffic. Heaven forbid one of these kids get hit, the guard'll have no fault in it thinking they "did their job"

Yeah although they are volunteers and trying to help out they are absolutely useless.  The ones in the western world even walk adults across the road!
Who is here in 2019?

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #6416 on: April 09, 2019, 01:52:31 pm »
Sounds more like a selfish scheme  to me to get those extra steps in to get to that 10.000 steps a day. Koreans obviously need not bother with losing weight.
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

« Reply #6417 on: April 09, 2019, 02:29:22 pm »
something I'll never understand here is the teachers who are hired in for five or six classes a week.  example is the dance teacher here, he's obviously getting paid for teaching my students, but at the moment he's sat on his arse using his phone and my students are also using their phones.  it is dance class.  do something active.  do these people not know a: responsibility or b: the fact they're paid for teaching students?  i would feel guilty if another school asked me to work there and I just turned up and did nothing with the students.  can you imagine? 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6418 on: April 09, 2019, 02:32:41 pm »
something I'll never understand here is the teachers who are hired in for five or six classes a week.  example is the dance teacher here, he's obviously getting paid for teaching my students, but at the moment he's sat on his arse using his phone and my students are also using their phones.  it is dance class.  do something active.  do these people not know a: responsibility or b: the fact they're paid for teaching students?  i would feel guilty if another school asked me to work there and I just turned up and did nothing with the students.  can you imagine?

I'm a public school teacher, with only 9 classes per week.
I actually try to do things with the students though. :p

« Reply #6419 on: April 09, 2019, 02:36:42 pm »

I'm a public school teacher, with only 9 classes per week.
I actually try to do things with the students though. :p

not you Kayos, you are salaried.  i'm talking about the ones who are 'outside' instructors who come in for some classes and then go.  you're (not you) being paid for a few classes, do something, especially not effing SNS on your phone.