Read 958999 times

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6120 on: November 14, 2018, 09:20:50 am »
I've always wondered what British people do when faced with teaching phonics here.  How does it work?

I was thinking about how the word "top" might be written as 탑 which for Brits is "tap".

"Tap" might be written as 텝 which for Brits is "tep".

It melts my brain because Korean actually has that British "hard A" sound (아) but it completely disappears when Koreans speak English.

Oglop, you're a fellow Brit aren't you?  What's been your experience with teaching phonics in Korea?
why would you translate english phonics words (e.g. top) to korean though? sounds like that would lead to all sorts of confusion.

if i'm teaching the short 'o' sound, i'll just say it as i always say it, show them the english word, and correct them if need be. i literally use 0 korean/hangeul in my classes, ever

« Reply #6121 on: November 14, 2018, 09:46:49 am »
I've always wondered what British people do when faced with teaching phonics here.  How does it work?

I was thinking about how the word "top" might be written as 탑 which for Brits is "tap".

It melts my brain because Korean actually has that British "hard A" sound (아) but it completely disappears when Koreans speak English.

Oglop, you're a fellow Brit aren't you?  What's been your experience with teaching phonics in Korea?

The minute you show Koreans that English sounds can be "made" using Hangeul, then they transliterate everything into Hangeul, and use it to pronounce everything.  Then you get the pronunciation mess of led / red berry /very and joo / zoo that they can never drop, even when you tell them that pronunciation will make up 25% of their oral score in exams.  Hangeul can be a tool for reading, but only once the "correct" English pronunciation (as per teacher) has been established. 

When Hangeul is allowed from the start (AS Korean teachers think that teaching via Hangeul will take a week to learn the alphabet, rather than a couple of month with correct pronunciation exploring the range of each letter and simple blends) The Koreans will follow the Korean rules of pronunciation, not only for single sounds, but for blends as well.  This means that a single syllable word such as "STRIPE", will be stretched out to "스트라이프".  But as the Korean "teachers" learnt this way (and think it is correct), so they pass it on this way, and the circle continues.  It is all about ticking boxes: Did they learn how to say the alphabet? TICK.  Did they learn properly?  Doesn't matter, they learnt it!

It is ironic, if you utter a single sylable of Korean wrong, you get looked at like you have three heads, yet Koreans think this magical scientific system of Hangeul is so great it can do everything.

It is berry berry gut por suhpeeking doh Ingrishee well.  Mahee paboreet coror is led!

British (range) of pronunciation should not be concerned until phonics are put in order!

Dear Korea, Hangeul is an amazing system for learning and reading KOREAN.  After that, it is adequate at best.  Keep it out of the early years English classroom!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:57:28 am by sligo »

« Reply #6122 on: November 14, 2018, 10:05:06 am »

why would you translate english phonics words (e.g. top) to korean though? sounds like that would lead to all sorts of confusion.

if i'm teaching the short 'o' sound, i'll just say it as i always say it, show them the english word, and correct them if need be. i literally use 0 korean/hangeul in my classes, ever

Ah yeah sorry I wasn't clear.  I was pointing out that the word top is pronounced by Koreans as closer to how we would pronounce "tap" (and used hangeul to make the point).  Sorry for the confusion...I would also never use hangeul to help with pronounciation in a class.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6123 on: November 14, 2018, 10:44:13 am »
just say it as you usually would. never had a problem with any students misunderstanding me. the more exposure to different accents the better really. many of my adult students only understand american english (because that's all they learnt), and they often go on business trips across asia or europe and can't understand anything

« Reply #6124 on: November 14, 2018, 11:00:21 am »

Ah yeah sorry I wasn't clear.  I was pointing out that the word top is pronounced by Koreans as closer to how we would pronounce "tap" (and used hangeul to make the point).  Sorry for the confusion...I would also never use hangeul to help with pronunciation in a class.

You may not, but the Koreans do.  I have had Korea elementary students argue with me that i am wrong because their Korean English teacher told them a different pronunciation:

"But my school teacher said it was a Jeeburah"

What can i say kid, we learned that "Z" was not the same as a "J", but if your Korean teacher said it, i will re-learn my native tongue.

The respect for Korean teachers, beyond a fault, every word being gospel is ludicrous.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6125 on: November 14, 2018, 11:09:14 am »
I have a older (Korean) colleague and friend who gets hung up on subtle pronunciation variations. He is trying very hard to sound like an American.

Yesterday it was the first vowel in “magenta”, which as an East-coast Canadian I say closer to the British way.

He has an app with both US and UK pronunciations.

Hilarity ensued.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6126 on: November 14, 2018, 11:47:42 am »
pronounced by Koreans as closer to how we would pronounce "tap" (and used hangeul to make the point). 

Teacher, I eat hatdog.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6127 on: November 14, 2018, 01:30:12 pm »
:P 티처 티처 ㅎㅎ "웟 더.........웟 더" ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ

>:( *Do you even understand how annoying you are?*
The joys of fauxtherhood

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6129 on: November 14, 2018, 05:07:25 pm »
Be careful, guys:

https://nypost.com/2016/11/02/woman-convinces-20-boyfriends-to-buy-her-iphones-then-sells-them-to-buy-a-house

I can't imagine she had actually met most of these guys. 20 is too high to actually manage in real life.......... right?

If so, I feel no sympathy for the guys. Girl wants you to buy her shit right off the bat? Run away. FAR
The joys of fauxtherhood

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6130 on: November 14, 2018, 06:06:23 pm »
Who's to say it happened right off the bat?

And I do feel sorry for those guys.

There's a massive shortage of women in China.

Did you hear about female infanticide due to the one child policy combined with preference for a son?

So sad.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6131 on: November 15, 2018, 07:56:07 am »
Grade 3 teacher :-* Kevin, I have cancer.

:police: Noooooooooooooo, what??????

:-* Here. *points to neck*

:police: OMG, I'm so sorry. If you need anything............................

:-* No, no, just small and doctor will take out. Then one month I rest and no school. It's great!  ;D ;D ;D

:police: Oh............, uhhhh, nice!

*high fives me*
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6132 on: November 15, 2018, 08:03:00 am »
Grade 3 teacher :-* Kevin, I have cancer.

:police: Noooooooooooooo, what??????

:-* Here. *points to neck*

:police: OMG, I'm so sorry. If you need anything............................

:-* No, no, just small and doctor will take out. Then one month I rest and no school. It's great!  ;D ;D ;D

:police: Oh............, uhhhh, nice!

*high fives me*

At least she's optimistic about it
The World Ends With You

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6133 on: November 15, 2018, 08:07:15 am »
At least she's optimistic about it

Yeah, that's why I like her. She has this great attitude and eternal energy. Really fun to be around and she always MC's the hoesiks and teacher trips, she's a riot.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6134 on: November 16, 2018, 07:35:20 am »
Yay!  No lessons until 1:15 PM  Perfect day to take a walk.

« Reply #6135 on: November 16, 2018, 07:51:55 am »
Dropped my toast on the floor this morning and it landed butter side up. Not sure if that is good luck or bad luck. Slightly stressed about it to be honest with you.
Who is here in 2019?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6136 on: November 16, 2018, 07:53:23 am »
Dropped my toast on the floor this morning and it landed butter side up. Not sure if that is good luck or bad luck. Slightly stressed about it to be honest with you.
     Chances are, that actually used up all your good luck for the day. I would keep a careful eye on the sky and be ready to dodge that lightning if I were you. :smiley:

« Reply #6137 on: November 16, 2018, 07:55:35 am »
     Chances are, that actually used up all your good luck for the day. I would keep a careful eye on the sky and be ready to dodge that lightning if I were you. :smiley:

I ain't scared of no lightning, it'll only make me stronger!  :P
Who is here in 2019?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6138 on: November 16, 2018, 08:01:32 am »
]     Chances are, that actually used up all your good luck for the day. I would keep a careful eye on the sky and be ready to dodge that lightning if I were you. :smiley:

I ain't scared of no lightning, it'll only make me stronger!  :P

"There can be only one."

« Reply #6139 on: November 20, 2018, 09:47:49 am »
Had a student actually ask a KT a couple of weeks ago if I had any power to influence their records. KT lied and said that I did.

Since then there has been a noticeable shift in some of the students' behaviors in my classes, lol.

Some of these kids have been far too spoiled by their hagwons.