Read 958954 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6060 on: November 02, 2018, 01:43:03 pm »
A 10 year old showed me a BTS video which had a man shaking hands with another man who was on fire.  She excitedly told me it was "real fire".  It was as if it was the greatest thing ever.  When i showed her the cover of Pink Floyd's Wish you were her,  and mentioned they did it 40 years before (what is the Korean for rip off) she shrugged and wasn't at all impressed.  It seems that the nationalist message is "love BTS at all costs".

Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone.

Underrated post.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #6061 on: November 02, 2018, 01:44:41 pm »
A 10 year old showed me a BTS video which had a man shaking hands with another man who was on fire.  She excitedly told me it was "real fire".  It was as if it was the greatest thing ever.  When i showed her the cover of Pink Floyd's Wish you were her,  and mentioned they did it 40 years before (what is the Korean for rip off) she shrugged and wasn't at all impressed.  It seems that the nationalist message is "love BTS at all costs".

40 years ago, some guy was showing their teacher something about Pink Floyd and their teacher responded by pulling out a news clipping of Bob Hope or Glenn Miller or Benny Goodman or whoever and their teacher wondering why their kids were caring so much about this stupid "gay" band with 'pink' in its name playing a bunch of what those kids claimed was music.

Welcome to getting old.

40 years from now, people will still be discovering and listening to classic Floyd. However, BTS will be a few sentences on Wiki about K-Pop.

« Reply #6062 on: November 02, 2018, 01:48:49 pm »
40 years from now, people will still be discovering and listening to classic Floyd. However, BTS will be a few sentences on Wiki about K-Pop.
Time is cruel to art.

Every decade that goes by 10% of what was cared about fades away. In 100 years time you're only left with a little.

It should be noted that rock as a genre is all but dead. There's a fair chance that pop will still be around while rock is at the level of blues and a few decades later will be at the level of what Zydeco or Ragtime is today.

I'm not commenting on the quality, simply pointing out that what you're describing is called "getting old" and you're not "it" anymore. Music belongs to the kids and they will make their choices and you can either be angry, bitter, and resentful over it (mixed with some latent...discomfort over what kind of people are popular) or you can move on gracefully.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 01:51:01 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6063 on: November 02, 2018, 01:56:18 pm »
Time is cruel to art.
There's a fair chance that pop will still be around while rock is at the level of blues and a few decades later will be at the level of what Zydeco or Ragtime is today.

Ragtime will never die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkjsN-J27aU

« Reply #6064 on: November 02, 2018, 01:57:58 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKmsvRXE4A

And the irony is the Simpsons are already long past their prime. In a few decades we'll be like people talking about the good old days of I Love Lucy, Jackie Gleason, and "prestige TV" like Marcus Welby, Petticoat Junction, and Bonanza.

I'm as much a "Get off my lawn" type as anyone else, but be self-aware enough to realize you're getting old and you can't fight youth.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6065 on: November 02, 2018, 02:01:49 pm »
Time is cruel to art.
There's a fair chance that pop will still be around while rock is at the level of blues and a few decades later will be at the level of what Zydeco or Ragtime is today.

Ragtime will never die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkjsN-J27aU

Everybody loves the Michigan rag!

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6066 on: November 02, 2018, 02:05:50 pm »
It should be noted that rock as a genre is all but dead. There's a fair chance that pop will still be around while rock is at the level of blues and a few decades later will be at the level of what Zydeco or Ragtime is today.

We need a good 2001-2004 Rock Revival. White Stripes, Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Muse.

Yeah, that's my heyday, there's no denying that, but if someone said that those 3 or 4 years didn't crank out some KILLER rick music, that would be really foolish.

"Everything is subjective!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

SHUT UP
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6067 on: November 02, 2018, 02:09:16 pm »

We need a good 2001-2004 Rock Revival. White Stripes, Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Muse.

Yeah, that's my heyday, there's no denying that, but if someone said that those 3 or 4 years didn't crank out some KILLER rick music, that would be really foolish.

SHUT UP

Yeah, I think that was pretty much the last time guitar rock sounded vital and alive. At least, the last time there was a big explosion of it. Also, the mid-2000s indie rock heyday was an amazing time for music (a lot of it guitar-based, but not like, rawwwwk).

There is a lot of good rock still being made, but nothing coming even close to approaching being marketable to the youth.

« Reply #6068 on: November 02, 2018, 02:13:30 pm »

It would be cool to hear some popular new bands putting out that kind of music. I'm down for it as long as no one does to The Strokes what Greta Van Fleet is doing to Led Zeppelin.

« Reply #6069 on: November 02, 2018, 02:16:28 pm »

SHUT UP
If demography is destiny, rock is in real trouble.

What sounds like an awesome jam to one group of people, sounds like dissonant cats screeching to others.  Much of the broader world prefers more melodic and/or rhythmic music. Remember WE are the ones who are WEIRD (Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, Democratic) to the rest of the world. The rest of the world are the ones that are normal.

That all being said, trends can change. Who knows? Maybe in 30 or 40 years, rock has a massive resurgence. Or jazz does.

Personally, I'd rather listen to classic rock any day than BTS and recent pop music, but I'm not bitter or angry at people (especially those who are younger) preferring something else.

Except for EDM. 

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #6070 on: November 02, 2018, 02:22:01 pm »

Of course pop will still be around, because "pop" is whatever is popular at the moment. Once upon a time, rock was pop. Sometimes it still is. I doubt in 100 years pop will sound like pop sounds today, but yes, obviously pop will still be around.

And rock is only dead in the same way most music is dead. Music isn't the profit-driven monstrosity it was in the past. Neither bands nor musicians are ever going to get as big as they used to. There will never be another Beatles, another Guns n Roses, or another Metallica. There will also never be another Michael Jackson, or another Elton John. That's just not how the music industry works anymore, as a result of how much the way people consume music has changed.

There might not be a huge, uber popular modern rock band in the same way there would have been twenty years ago, but you know what there is? A veritable buffet of smaller rock bands releasing stuff on smaller labels or on their own, playing in a bar or VFW somewhere. There's more music at our disposal now than there's ever been, and I hate to break it to the naysayers, but a great deal of it is rock. If you aren't finding new rock you like, you aren't looking in the right places.

And sure, a lot of the new stuff is garbage, but a lot of the old stuff was garbage, too. We only think music was better in the past because we're looking back at the bands that stood the test of time or were important to us in our formative years. For every Franz Ferdinand, there will always be a hundred Crazy Towns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FEDrU85FLE

« Reply #6071 on: November 02, 2018, 02:31:05 pm »

Of course pop will still be around, because "pop" is whatever is popular at the moment. Once upon a time, rock was pop. Sometimes it still is. I doubt in 100 years pop will sound like pop sounds today, but yes, obviously pop will still be around.

And rock is only dead in the same way most music is dead. Music isn't the profit-driven monstrosity it was in the past. Neither bands nor musicians are ever going to get as big as they used to. There will never be another Beatles, another Guns n Roses, or another Metallica. There will also never be another Michael Jackson, or another Elton John. That's just not how the music industry works anymore, as a result of how much the way people consume music has changed.

There might not be a huge, uber popular modern rock band in the same way there would have been twenty years ago, but you know what there is? A veritable buffet of smaller rock bands releasing stuff on smaller labels or on their own, playing in a bar or VFW somewhere. There's more music at our disposal now than there's ever been, and I hate to break it to the naysayers, but a great deal of it is rock. If you aren't finding new rock you like, you aren't looking in the right places.

And sure, a lot of the new stuff is garbage, but a lot of the old stuff was garbage, too. We only think music was better in the past because we're looking back at the bands that stood the test of time or were important to us in our formative years. For every Franz Ferdinand, there will always be a hundred Crazy Towns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FEDrU85FLE

But don't forget, even though this song is literally terrible, I'm willing to bet that a very, very large percentage of people in their late 20s / early 30s would recognize it, and probably even know a few lines from it or be able to hum the tune. Something doesn't necessarily need to be quality to somehow magically get stuck in the public consciousness.

Also, re: rock being dead, I don't mean in any way to say that there isn't good new rock being made, or that there's zero innovation or progress in rock. But as far as being kind of a mainstream, popular thing, in terms of what's popular with the vast majority of casual music listeners, rock is definitely not alive.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #6072 on: November 02, 2018, 02:39:27 pm »

But don't forget, even though this song is literally terrible, I'm willing to bet that a very, very large percentage of people in their late 20s / early 30s would recognize it, and probably even know a few lines from it or be able to hum the tune. Something doesn't necessarily need to be quality to somehow magically get stuck in the public consciousness.

Also, re: rock being dead, I don't mean in any way to say that there isn't good new rock being made, or that there's zero innovation or progress in rock. But as far as being kind of a mainstream, popular thing, in terms of what's popular with the vast majority of casual music listeners, rock is definitely not alive.

Of course people still recognize it. I hate it, and I recognize it. The point was, they will never be considered a "classic" band; a band that people will talk about in the future as being one of the good ones. They're one hit wonder. A punchline. Regardless of whether or not anyone actually liked them or still likes them today, they probably won't be talked about in the same breath as some of the other bands mentioned in the comment that started this tangent.

Re: rock being dead, I guess I just have issues with the criteria people use to refer to something as dead. Oh, it isn't the most popular thing right now? RIP, rock. How does that not sound ridiculous to anyone? There are still vibrant rock scenes all over the world. There is good stuff being made, there is innovation and progress, but because it's not topping the Billboard charts every week, it isn't alive? It's rock we're talking here, not the Charleston.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6073 on: November 02, 2018, 02:50:59 pm »
It's rock we're talking here, not the Charleston.

Actually, in 2016, Charleston was ranked the "World's Best City" by Travel + Leisure. Far from dead.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/cities#bo-kaap-cape-town-south-africa-12
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #6074 on: November 02, 2018, 02:55:09 pm »

Actually, in 2016, Charleston was ranked the "World's Best City" by Travel + Leisure. Far from dead.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/cities#bo-kaap-cape-town-south-africa-12

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #6075 on: November 02, 2018, 03:01:42 pm »
The entire landscape of music has changed, particularly in the last 20-30yrs and not just the industry, but the artists and even the listeners.

The listener:

Association, sometimes, the music of your youth wasn't good... in fact, it might've been downright sh*t. Why you prefer it is simply because your brain associates said music with happier and more innocent times or a find memory. Detach yourself from this and look at songs from the perspective of music theory, you'll see that not much has changed from the music from your youth till now, some harmonic structure, same damn IVviIV, same trite lyrics. 

Attention spans have gotten much shorter too. During my dad's days, buying an LP was an occasion. You sat down, popped it on the turntable and listened to the entire album, start to finish. There was no skipping to your favourite part, you had to go through the intro and verse before you got the chorus, you understood the entire context of the song, not just listened out for the bit you liked.

Artists & Industry:

In the past, the artist was forced to work through the music industry to sell, what the music industry believed, the listener would buy. Listeners have become a larger audience and the music needed to have a broader appeal to sell. Along comes the internet and over a few years, artists find that they no longer need to work through the music industry, nor do they need access to a studio to reach the listener. It's ridiculous how accessible artists have become. The industry has decided that they can't compete with this and devotes all of it's efforts into music that reaches as large an audience as possible and the wider the puddle, the shallower it becomes.

I firmly believe that the internet has made it easier for artists to access a world of ideas and develop something completely awesome. As listeners we're completely spoilt for choice. There's more great music out there now than at any other point in human history.

Yeah, there'll never be another Michael Jackson, but he was a cultural and musical phenomenon. His impact was closely tied in with the times. From purely a musical perspective, he was truly amazing... but not so amazing that something like, or better, than him isn't around right now.

« Reply #6076 on: November 02, 2018, 03:02:50 pm »

Of course people still recognize it. I hate it, and I recognize it. The point was, they will never be considered a "classic" band; a band that people will talk about in the future as being one of the good ones. They're one hit wonder. A punchline. Regardless of whether or not anyone actually liked them or still likes them today, they probably won't be talked about in the same breath as some of the other bands mentioned in the comment that started this tangent.

Re: rock being dead, I guess I just have issues with the criteria people use to refer to something as dead. Oh, it isn't the most popular thing right now? RIP, rock. How does that not sound ridiculous to anyone? There are still vibrant rock scenes all over the world. There is good stuff being made, there is innovation and progress, but because it's not topping the Billboard charts every week, it isn't alive? It's rock we're talking here, not the Charleston.

Fair enough. I mean, 75% of the rock I listen to is from the 90s and 2000s. But I would have a very difficult time finding more than like, twenty or thirty guitar-based albums from this decade that I listen to regularly.

But I do think that while a lot of genres have seen huge explosions of creativity and innovation, guitar rock has been, comparatively, a little bit stagnant. 'Dead' was just kind of a colloquialism for less innovative and vital.

Also, re: Crazy Town - honestly? It's a terrible song. But would I totally sing along almost any time I heard it? Absolutely. Garbage music can be just as fun if not more so than stuff that was made by super talented people. It's like the Cheetos of music.

« Reply #6077 on: November 02, 2018, 03:08:57 pm »

So, I was trying to find a good picture of Mark Corrigan to post in response, but I opened it in Google images and just started cracking up when I saw a bunch of Mark faces, so I had to give up because I didn't want to look like a crazy person. My apologies.

« Reply #6078 on: November 02, 2018, 08:10:30 pm »
I always quite liked that Crazy Town single.  Didn't sampling RHCP get them a bit of credibility?

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #6079 on: November 05, 2018, 11:45:43 am »
Is there a way to filter searches on Gmarket / Naver Shopping / etc to exclude shops that are only import / 해외?

There's has to be someone in this whole country selling 5 string sets of flatwound bass strings...