Read 958791 times

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6040 on: October 31, 2018, 10:05:43 am »
I know it's way past it, but pretty much everyday I listen to Karl, Ricky and Steve.  There is so much out there from the XFm days, the podcasts, the specials etc, that it is just excellent background noise if I'm doing something at home.  Listening to them a lot you realise that they're all a bit strange.  All as much as each other.  Ricky just seems intolerant, unable to concentrate for a minute and a probably a pain in the ass to be around.  Also strange that he never invited Steve to his birthdays or bashes, and seems to have nothing to do with anymore.  Which to me seems a little strange.  Steve is tight careful with his money but out of the three seems the most normal.  I love Karl obviously.  But I've never really worked out how he got his job.  If he's so 'stupid' and with no education or qualifications, how can he get a job working in radio?  Would it be like the monkey who got a job in the railway station and helped the guy pull the levers, but the guy lost a leg somehow and the monkey got the job, and received half a bottle of beer on Saturdays as payment?  It's possible.

My current bedtime listening...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ViXcIuO0E
this may sound weird, but i listen every night as i fall asleep. if it's not playing, i can't usually sleep! i must have listened to the xfm shows hundreds of times, but it's a sort of weird comfort thing for me now. still bits i forget about and chuckle to, though

i think steve was *mostly* just playing along when karl took the piss out of him. karl usually has the better comebacks, or, as ricky says "he's done you again, steve!"

ricky is pretty obnoxious in the later episodes. he never lets karl explain himself or purposely misconstrues what he meant.

the earlier episodes with karl are the best, because you can see him slowly opening up and becoming more confident sharing his opinions and telling stories. i can't listen to the podcasts anymore because they are rehashed from the xfm shows and karl seems to be playing up being stupid more, rather than just being himself

steve is my favourite, though. i love his anecdotes especially. Hello Ladies is good if you haven't seen it.

the show wouldn't really work without the three of them together though. even with the clair sturges episodes they end up talking about karl most of the time anyway (although they are still very funny). the camfield episode is lame though and i always have to skip it

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6041 on: October 31, 2018, 10:09:15 am »
Dave Stepz, curious to know...what do you think of the Claire Sturgess shows when Karl was absent? 

I know that those shows get a lot of stick from fans but they're amongst some of my all time favourites.  The atmosphere seems a lot more "mischievous" in those shows and I love how much fun they're obviously having.  So many good convos came out of those shows...Ricky's suit for the awards do, Claire's nudist beach holiday, Karl calling in when he was sick ("He could have been your brother, Steve"  :laugh:).

the bit that always makes me laugh is karl telling the story about the chair he sold. 36m10s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7fYGKrEh8&t=36m10s

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6042 on: October 31, 2018, 11:36:01 am »
Last year my consulting took place with just me and my coordinator. This year I was told he would be there again today. What I didn't know was that this time he would be accompanied by both my CTs, the VP, and the two heads of English education for my district. :huh:

I was already kinda nervous, but I should've expected this nonetheless. :cry:
The World Ends With You

« Reply #6043 on: October 31, 2018, 11:43:07 am »
I've had a total of one open class my entire time here.

I don't know why, seems to be a pretty regular thing for other EPIKers.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #6044 on: October 31, 2018, 11:58:18 am »

From what my coordinator told me, the decision is made by the school as to whether you get consulting or not. He said it's a "good thing" because it means my school sees potential in me. :lipsrsealed:

If only I had more motivation!
The World Ends With You

« Reply #6045 on: October 31, 2018, 12:47:52 pm »

Yea, I've had one this year, but was just told that I will be having another open class in Nov.  Ummm, okay  What ever you say    8)

« Reply #6046 on: October 31, 2018, 01:15:32 pm »
Last year my consulting took place with just me and my coordinator. This year I was told he would be there again today. What I didn't know was that this time he would be accompanied by both my CTs, the VP, and the two heads of English education for my district. :huh:

That's weird and stuff, but who knows how the inner machinations of decision making go. It could be a bad thing. It could be a good thing. It could be anything.

I've had probably about 40. I've been here for a bit, though. Although about ten of those are from one year when I had a deeply unpleasant manager who was trying to prevent my contract renewal, and kept scheduling open classes that I wasn't informed of ahead of time.

« Reply #6047 on: October 31, 2018, 01:28:00 pm »

That's weird and stuff, but who knows how the inner machinations of decision making go. It could be a bad thing. It could be a good thing. It could be anything.

I've had probably about 40. I've been here for a bit, though. Although about ten of those are from one year when I had a deeply unpleasant manager who was trying to prevent my contract renewal, and kept scheduling open classes that I wasn't informed of ahead of time.

From what I have seen and heard it depends on the school and also the MOE. My area for EPIK each teacher gets a re-sign evaluation each year. Winners for best classes in different categories also get extra days off. ( sometimes also about who you know ).
Then my school specifically does one open class a semester for all teachers. One semester is for parents and one semester for teachers. I usually get lots of parents. For teachers, maybe 2-3 will come grab a copy of my lesson plan and watch for 2 min. P or VP will usually come watch for 5 min. Ez Pz
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:35:24 pm by MaximusPrime »

« Reply #6048 on: October 31, 2018, 02:37:50 pm »

From what I have seen and heard it depends on the school and also the MOE. My area for EPIK each teacher gets a re-sign evaluation each year. Winners for best classes in different categories also get extra days off. ( sometimes also about who you know ).
Then my school specifically does one open class a semester for all teachers. One semester is for parents and one semester for teachers. I usually get lots of parents. For teachers, maybe 2-3 will come grab a copy of my lesson plan and watch for 2 min. P or VP will usually come watch for 5 min. Ez Pz

Any reason to quote but not write anything? I am just curious. Kind of a reminder to come back to something?

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #6049 on: October 31, 2018, 02:47:34 pm »
In my continuing quest to watch all of YouTube I came across an interesting fact on a video about New Zealand being strict on Chinese tourists bringing food in.  New Zealand apparently does not have fruit flies.  Amazing.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6050 on: October 31, 2018, 04:02:56 pm »
In my continuing quest to watch all of YouTube I came across an interesting fact on a video about New Zealand being strict on Chinese tourists bringing food in.  New Zealand apparently does not have fruit flies.  Amazing.
I had a chat with a Kiwi earlier this week about bio-security. He told me that his rugby team did a tour in England during the mad-cow scare. They were asked to surrender all muddy shoes, sweaters, etc. by customs on thier return.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6052 on: November 01, 2018, 08:47:30 am »

I haven't had any.
They keep telling me it's happening, then no one shows up for it lol.

« Reply #6053 on: November 02, 2018, 10:54:35 am »
Kpop seems to be making it big in the USA these days with artists popping up all over the place either singing in English or Korean alongside a HUGE american mainstream star.

My thoughts on this are twofold.

Firstly, am I the only one who can see that the Kpop stars are buying popularity whether it's paying absurd sums to get a star name on their record or simply buying views on youtube and other social media platforms?

Let's take BTS for example. Am I funding this crime against humanity through my taxes? Or is it all private money?

Secondly, why do people who have no idea what the Korean part of the song's lyrics are listen to this shit?

Who is here in 2019?

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #6054 on: November 02, 2018, 11:52:01 am »
Kpop seems to be making it big in the USA these days with artists popping up all over the place either singing in English or Korean alongside a HUGE american mainstream star.

My thoughts on this are twofold.

Firstly, am I the only one who can see that the Kpop stars are buying popularity whether it's paying absurd sums to get a star name on their record or simply buying views on youtube and other social media platforms?

Let's take BTS for example. Am I funding this crime against humanity through my taxes? Or is it all private money?

Secondly, why do people who have no idea what the Korean part of the song's lyrics are listen to this shit?

Ain't that a bit far?

Plus, if you listen to any Korean songs, you should know by now that 90% of them are about love in almost every regard. No need to understand if they're all the same subject.
The World Ends With You

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #6055 on: November 02, 2018, 12:03:38 pm »
I listen to music with lyrics in languages I don't speak or barely understand all the time. That or they're "sung" so harshly that they'd be unintelligible no matter what language they're in. I never really saw anything wrong with that, but I suppose I might just be odd.

« Reply #6056 on: November 02, 2018, 12:32:29 pm »
A 10 year old showed me a BTS video which had a man shaking hands with another man who was on fire.  She excitedly told me it was "real fire".  It was as if it was the greatest thing ever.  When i showed her the cover of Pink Floyd's Wish you were her,  and mentioned they did it 40 years before (what is the Korean for rip off) she shrugged and wasn't at all impressed.  It seems that the nationalist message is "love BTS at all costs".

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6057 on: November 02, 2018, 01:28:32 pm »
A 10 year old showed me a BTS video which had a man shaking hands with another man who was on fire.  She excitedly told me it was "real fire".  It was as if it was the greatest thing ever.  When i showed her the cover of Pink Floyd's Wish you were her,  and mentioned they did it 40 years before (what is the Korean for rip off) she shrugged and wasn't at all impressed.  It seems that the nationalist message is "love BTS at all costs".

Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone.

« Reply #6058 on: November 02, 2018, 01:29:12 pm »

I don't listen to BTS, but like - I don't think it's fair to expect a ten year old to be as impressed by the cover a Wish You Were Here, an album by a band which she's never heard of, and which has no relevance, culturally or musically, to her. A dude shaking hands with another dude who's on fire is kind of whatever, but if it's your favourite band doing it, then you might think it's the coolest thing ever. Context.

Like, if a popular person or group does something, it's cool.
If someone else does that exact same thing, it may not register as cool.

You can see this in other areas of life all the time: someone wears a jacket to school. Whatever. One of the cool kids wears literally the exact same jacket, suddenly everyone wants it.

Art school student paints a bunch of straight lines and coloured squares. Okay? Um, cool?
Mondrian does the same thing? Multi-million dollar art.

It doesn't matter who does it first or who does it best. It just matters how much you like whoever's doing it.
Especially to a ten year old, whose capacity to appreciate different things is like, not even approaching fully developed.

« Reply #6059 on: November 02, 2018, 01:40:23 pm »

40 years ago, some guy was showing their teacher something about Pink Floyd and their teacher responded by pulling out a news clipping of Bob Hope or Glenn Miller or Benny Goodman or whoever and their teacher wondering why their kids were caring so much about this stupid "gay" band with 'pink' in its name playing a bunch of what those kids claimed was music.

Welcome to getting old.