Read 1046749 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5840 on: September 11, 2018, 04:47:14 pm »
I'm not sure whether or not this warrants a new topic post, so I'll put this question here:

Has anyone else been told that plastic and paper cups are being banned?

I went to grab a drink in the office today and realized there were no cups. When I asked the teacher near me, she told me that the government started banning paper and plastic cups at the schools and at cafes, and that this decision was made weeks ago. :undecided:

This just seems like a really big thing. Maybe I'm just oblivious and foolish for not noticing.  :lipsrsealed:

(Before anyone says it, no she wasn't mistranslating, this particular teacher has a high level of English)
Good. I hate how offices and schools in Korea use disposable paper and plastic cups. Just buy a mug and wash it out you lazy cunts

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5841 on: September 11, 2018, 05:01:19 pm »
I'm not sure whether or not this warrants a new topic post, so I'll put this question here:

I went to grab a drink in the office today and realized there were no cups. When I asked the teacher near me, she told me that the government started banning paper and plastic cups at the schools and at cafes, and that this decision was made weeks ago. :undecided:

This just seems like a really big thing. Maybe I'm just oblivious and foolish for not noticing.  :lipsrsealed:

(Before anyone says it, no she wasn't mistranslating, this particular teacher has a high level of English)
Good. I hate how offices and schools in Korea use disposable paper and plastic cups. Just buy a mug and wash it out you lazy cunts

But muh stick coffee.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5842 on: September 11, 2018, 07:50:24 pm »
every time i play this, it's always "_____ friend"

(answer is 'cat')
dog friend!

(answer is 'dentist')
doctor friend!

Here's one that works: shampoo friend!
(answer is conditioner/rinse)

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5843 on: September 12, 2018, 07:28:46 am »

But muh stick coffee.
The student council at my son's school decided that they would stop using disposable cups, so the kids lug water bottles everywhere.

This is a good initiative, except when guests are there and there are no paper envelope-style cups near the water coolers. I think these are low-impact, but not having water available for guests, including visiting sports teams, is a little over the top.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5844 on: September 12, 2018, 07:56:22 am »
Like, imagine not being completely absolutist about something. Imagine using reusable stuff whenever possible, and reserving the use of disposables for times when they're needed. Wow.

Never ever EVER punch someone............. EVER. Or lie, to anyone for any reason. EVER.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #5845 on: September 12, 2018, 08:12:42 am »

(answer is 'cat')
dog friend!

(answer is 'dentist')
doctor friend!

That reminds me of the time one of my students couldn't remember the word "gorilla" so he said "monkey upgrade"  :laugh:

« Reply #5846 on: September 12, 2018, 10:20:07 am »
But how will I play beer pong if there are no disposable cups?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5847 on: September 12, 2018, 10:31:34 am »
The value of my Solo stash just went up!

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5848 on: September 12, 2018, 10:41:50 am »

(answer is 'cat')
dog friend!

(answer is 'dentist')
doctor friend!

That reminds me of the time one of my students couldn't remember the word "gorilla" so he said "monkey upgrade"  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The World Ends With You

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #5849 on: September 12, 2018, 10:45:08 am »

With crystal chalices, obviously.

« Reply #5850 on: September 12, 2018, 11:27:49 am »

But muh stick coffee.

Just use two of them. That's what I do. I have a pretty mug, I like to use it, I do what I have to.

This is a good initiative, except when guests are there and there are no paper envelope-style cups near the water coolers. I think these are low-impact, but not having water available for guests, including visiting sports teams, is a little over the top.

Bets are they'll just purchase a bunch of personal bottles of water for those events. Or warning guests to bring their own, lol. It'll be the new thing.

That, or they'll start keeping those metal cups that they use in cafeterias and stuff, but for guests. Like how they do with guest slippers.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5851 on: September 12, 2018, 12:16:39 pm »
I bought a bunch of posters to decorate my English room with.
One of those posters was a clip-art style collection of grassland animals.
....Or so I thought.

Now I can't sleep at night for worry about what might happen to all those poor critters when the US invades.  :sad:
Both the caw and the clab look pretty worried too.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:19:37 pm by kyndo »

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #5852 on: September 12, 2018, 12:30:23 pm »
....Or so I thought.

Now I can't sleep at night for worry about what might happen to all those poor critters when the US invades.  :sad:

You mean gassland animals? I'm more concerned about the whale. This is clearly an area with fresh water habitats, not the ocean!
The World Ends With You

« Reply #5853 on: September 12, 2018, 12:33:04 pm »
So apparently Krispy Kreme in Korea now has four different cheese flavored donuts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tx0_PuhIlY

Anyone seen or try these?

« Reply #5854 on: September 12, 2018, 12:34:53 pm »
....Or so I thought.

You mean gassland animals? I'm more concerned about the whale. This is clearly an area with fresh water habitats, not the ocean!

I think that whale has more to worry about than that. xD

He looks guilty af.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:42:26 pm by Chinguetti »

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #5855 on: September 12, 2018, 12:43:22 pm »
So apparently Krispy Kreme in Korea now has four different cheese flavored donuts:

But Korea doesn't even have cheese-flavored Cheetos...

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #5856 on: September 12, 2018, 12:45:23 pm »
....Or so I thought.

I think that whale has more to worry about than that. xD

He looks guilty af.

Oh god, you're right... But upon closer inspection, the picture may be of a whale, but the text says dolphin. I think it's very clear this wasn't made by a native speaker. Poor wildlife...

Also, just looking at those donuts makes me wanna hurl.
The World Ends With You

« Reply #5857 on: September 12, 2018, 12:49:50 pm »
Oh god, you're right... But upon closer inspection, the picture may be of a whale, but the text says dolphin. I think it's very clear this wasn't made by a native speaker. Poor wildlife...

Also, just looking at those donuts makes me wanna hurl.

Actually, I think that might actually be a dolphin, but with weird coloring. xD

Meanwhile, killer whales aren't actually whales. They're a part of the dolphin family, the biggest member of it. They just have "whale" as part of their name because they're known to kill whales. Big part of their diet. Not sure if what's in the picture is supposed to be a killer whale, either, but if it is they still got the markings and shape all wrong. xD

That's where the charm of the Korean surprise is. Raisins hiding in cheese pizzas, corn on everything, and non-cheese flavored cheese snacks.

One of the donuts is jam-filled. I think it's supposed to be a tomato and chili pepper jam. With a cheddar cheese icing on top?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:55:08 pm by Chinguetti »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5858 on: September 12, 2018, 01:02:57 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tx0_PuhIlY

Anyone seen or try these?
I saw a sign for them... And kept driving.

^^^ today's winner.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5859 on: September 12, 2018, 02:00:40 pm »
Oh god, you're right... But upon closer inspection, the picture may be of a whale, but the text says dolphin.
Clearly all the hippo poop is making the dolphin so bloated that it looks like a whale.
Also, I'm trying to decide if it's all the Australian animals or all the African animals that are horribly lost. :shocked: