Read 1049945 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5740 on: August 28, 2018, 11:11:45 am »
I think we can safely say in Chungnam, that summer is finished.  There has been almost raining season rain for the last few days.   :smiley:
Koreans call this the late summer or fall rainy season as the weather front retreats back south.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5741 on: August 28, 2018, 11:21:19 am »
I think we can safely say in Chungnam, that summer is finished.  There has been almost raining season rain for the last few days.   :smiley:

Lucky, The typhoon got rid of the humidity for a bit here, then after the typhoon we the weather was like: Oh, you missed a few days of humidity, so you have to make them up. And preceded to make things super humid again. I've barely been getting any sleep these last couple of days. The AC either makes things, slightly too cold, or if I turn it up 1 - 2C, I just feel the humidity, and both ways, I'm struggling to sleep >.<

Mrs. JNM: turn the a/c down to 22; 23 is too hot.

Also Mrs. JNM: can you get another blanket for us?

« Reply #5742 on: August 28, 2018, 11:30:03 am »

Lucky, The typhoon got rid of the humidity for a bit here, then after the typhoon we the weather was like: Oh, you missed a few days of humidity, so you have to make them up. And preceded to make things super humid again. I've barely been getting any sleep these last couple of days. The AC either makes things, slightly too cold, or if I turn it up 1 - 2C, I just feel the humidity, and both ways, I'm struggling to sleep >.<

Haha. My life is more like:

Me: Please help. I'm dying. Need aircon.
Sig other: Here, I'll point the fan at you. No aircon. It's too cold.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #5743 on: August 28, 2018, 11:39:05 am »

They both sound like what I've been saying to myself, lately, for the most part.
When I run my AC at 18 - 20C, it's slightly too cold to sleep well (a bigger / thicker / another thin blanket makes it too hot still). 21 - 23C makes my room warm still, not overbearingly so, but enough, that it still makes it harder for me to fall asleep.

HURRY UP AND END, SUMMER!!! >:(

« Reply #5744 on: August 28, 2018, 11:44:01 am »

After years of arguments over this issue, we finally decided the best course of action is too sleep in separate rooms during the really hot periods of summer. Worth it.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5745 on: August 28, 2018, 11:47:56 am »
winter blanket, windows closed, no aircon, no fan, thermometer says 29 degrees, still complains she's cold. it's unbearable

i've been sleeping on the sofa by myself in the living room directly under the air con for the past month

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5746 on: August 28, 2018, 11:51:00 am »

Korean partner's body temperature is something I'll never understand.

The ondol is on, on the bed is a hot mat that is also on, plus the wife will be under one of those lovely thick fluffy style duvet covers on top of the hot mat, only her face is showing, I come in the room and leave the door open,  '남편 추워!'  :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I'm walking around the house in my underwear, sweating just a tad.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #5747 on: August 28, 2018, 11:58:50 am »
Wait - people sleep with aircon on? Isn't that super expensive? I just sleep with a fan on.

Also, I'm so happy to know that I'm not the only person whose significant other seems to have totally bizarrely cold body temperatures.

« Reply #5748 on: August 28, 2018, 12:06:25 pm »
Wait - people sleep with aircon on? Isn't that super expensive? I just sleep with a fan on.

Also, I'm so happy to know that I'm not the only person whose significant other seems to have totally bizarrely cold body temperatures.

I found just using the dehumidifier option on the air-conditioner works just fine.  On ours, you can run it for an hour, and then switch off any lights on it.  Apparently, you need to drop your body temperature by 1 or 2 degrees to help induce sleep.

Ah. Sig Other and I sleep in separate rooms. And my room doesn't have aircon in it. So, that's a luxury I won't know. But like, even in hotels and stuff I've never slept with aircon on. That seems extravagant.

« Reply #5749 on: August 28, 2018, 12:32:29 pm »

I found just using the dehumidifier option on the air-conditioner works just fine.  On ours, you can run it for an hour, and then switch off any lights on it.  Apparently, you need to drop your body temperature by 1 or 2 degrees to help induce sleep.

Ah. Sig Other and I sleep in separate rooms. And my room doesn't have aircon in it. So, that's a luxury I won't know. But like, even in hotels and stuff I've never slept with aircon on. That seems extravagant.

Haha yeah heaven forbid you have to open your wallet for once  :wink:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #5750 on: August 28, 2018, 12:32:45 pm »

It's not too bad. I have this giant, power guzzling A/C Unit - (it has sticker on it that says it's a 5/5 for power usage (5 is uses a lot of power, 1 is uses a low amount)) - My biggest power bill in summer has been about 86,000 - 87,000won.
I also have a low tolerance to heat, and get eczema badly when I'm hot, so I need to try stay more on the colder sides of things. Sleeping with just a fan on, in Korea, still keeps me really sweaty and hot.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #5751 on: August 28, 2018, 01:02:19 pm »
i've been sleeping on the sofa by myself in the living room directly under the air con for the past month
My life since mid July.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #5752 on: August 28, 2018, 01:33:08 pm »
I usually blast my AC for an hour or so before bed, but then turn it off when I actually get in bed. That usually gets the the air temperature in my apartment low enough and keeps it that way long enough for me to sleep. Of course, the temperature will slowly creep up again, which means I'll wake up a little early and a lot sweaty, but then I can just turn the AC back on and go back to sleep until my alarm goes off. The process allows me to avoid most of the discomfort, while not having to keep the AC running all night.

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #5753 on: August 28, 2018, 07:54:08 pm »

Do you feel the same way about heating in the winter? Isn't that the same general idea? The temperature is not comfortable for you so you change it to be more comfortable. Many Koreans are cheap to use their A/C yet they have no problem keeping their homes toasty hot in the winter and paying hundreds of dollars for gas.

We ran our A/C basically all the time. Except for a few days when we were away and 1 hour or so in the mornings to get some fresh air and to let the A/C rest a bit. From 7.15 to 8.15 our electricity bill was 62.000 won. Normally we pay around 20 thousand so running the aircon cost us 40.000 basically. We pay around 4 times that much for gas in the coldest months of winter.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:13:08 pm by Lazio »

« Reply #5754 on: August 30, 2018, 01:27:39 pm »
Yeah, I use my A/C during the summer months pretty much noholdsbarred. If I can have A/C, I'm going to use it. I don't like being hot, especially when I'm trying to sleep.

Meanwhile, I never use my heat unless I have guests over, no matter how frigid it gets. I like it cold enough to hurt. It's super comfy for me to sit in my home all toasty in my blanket while my face is all corpse frozen. Love it.

People are depressing me today. I can't tell if it's because it's just one of those days, or if maybe I'm a little too over-exposed and need to hide out in my cave for a while. Another reason why I miss winter so much right now. I've been told by a couple of people now that they're estimating this upcoming winter season to be shorter than usual. I really hope they're wrong.

« Reply #5755 on: August 30, 2018, 01:33:46 pm »
Yeah, I use my A/C during the summer months pretty much noholdsbarred. If I can have A/C, I'm going to use it. I don't like being hot, especially when I'm trying to sleep.

Meanwhile, I never use my heat unless I have guests over, no matter how frigid it gets. I like it cold enough to hurt. It's super comfy for me to sit in my home all toasty in my blanket while my face is all corpse frozen. Love it.

People are depressing me today. I can't tell if it's because it's just one of those days, or if maybe I'm a little too over-exposed and need to hide out in my cave for a while. Another reason why I miss winter so much right now. I've been told by a couple of people now that they're estimating this upcoming winter season to be shorter than usual. I really hope they're wrong.

Winter would be great if it weren't for the constant plague that infects literally everyone at the workplace and on public transit (compounded with year-round lack of hand-washing), and the cold ass wind that makes your fingers die even if you've got gloves on.

At least winter is a time when I can dress well instead of everything being rumpled and gross looking by the time I've been out of the house for fifteen minutes.

I also am having a disappointing day. Generally feeling irritable for no good reason.

Also, yeah. I haven't turned on floor heating anywhere I've lived in over five years. I do have a small space heater that I'll use sometimes, though.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5756 on: September 03, 2018, 08:06:52 am »
These school assemblies are the most pointless thing in existence. Everyone gathers in the gym/auditorium for 30 minutes to present some information (in this case, meeting the new Vice Principal), but after 5 minutes nobody's paying any attention to whatever is going on.

Same with the safety drills, and that's a very scary thought  :sad:
The World Ends With You

« Reply #5757 on: September 03, 2018, 09:15:12 am »
Does anyone else here never discipline students?  Browsing the forum I get the sense that it's something a lot of people get stressed out about and don't know how to handle.

I normally hate the "that's not my job" attitude but disciplining students is something I just never do and always leave it to my coteacher.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #5758 on: September 03, 2018, 09:30:26 am »
Does anyone else here never discipline students?  Browsing the forum I get the sense that it's something a lot of people get stressed out about and don't know how to handle.

I normally hate the "that's not my job" attitude but disciplining students is something I just never do and always leave it to my coteacher.

I tried to early into my first year here, but it upset my co-teacher because "You don't know Korean discipline rules etc. and that is my job."
In my 2nd year I had to discipline a class. My co-teacher was in the teacher's office, and I had a student teacher with me. The student's showed me slightly more respect than the student teacher, and he was a bit too nervous to try discipline, so I stepped up and done it. When my co-teacher and principal came to the class after that class, they backed me up on the discipline once I explained what had happened.

Other than that 1 time, I haven't done it here.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5759 on: September 03, 2018, 09:51:14 am »

It's because of what Kayos said. It's usually supposed to be done by the CT, but sometimes they won't do anything and just say "They're  just kids." And sometimes if you try to discipline them, suddenly you're the bad guy and they tell you not to. It all depends on where you're teaching.
The World Ends With You