Read 1087272 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5660 on: July 17, 2018, 10:03:10 am »
I'm not sure about things like that.

I hate it when people are shamed or belittled for not knowing where countries/oceans are on a map.  Who memorises maps?
Um, everybody? Or at least, everybody who manages to graduate from primary school...
I'm with K on this.  Who is not curious and interested in the world and countries when they were in primary school?
Well yeah that's true but I suppose some people don't retain every piece of information they've ever had given to them in their lives.
     That's certainly true. And it's exactly this where I think a lot of the judgment come in: not caring enough to know ( or remember) even where your own country fits in on a map shows an almost pathological disinterest in the world around you.

Imagine literally drawing a false equivalency between having basic knowledge of geography to someone 'retain[ing] every piece of information they've ever had given to them in their lives.'

Nah the point is having snidy little c*nts like you sneering at people who might not have an interest in where countries are on a map.

Also, wait a minute.  People started talking about learning stuff in primary school so where's the false equivalency?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:06:22 am by alexisalex »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5661 on: July 17, 2018, 10:29:47 am »
I'm not sure about things like that.

I hate it when people are shamed or belittled for not knowing where countries/oceans are on a map.  Who memorises maps?
Um, everybody? Or at least, everybody who manages to graduate from primary school...
I'm with K on this.  Who is not curious and interested in the world and countries when they were in primary school?
Well yeah that's true but I suppose some people don't retain every piece of information they've ever had given to them in their lives.
     That's certainly true. And it's exactly this where I think a lot of the judgment come in: not caring enough to know ( or remember) even where your own country fits in on a map shows an almost pathological disinterest in the world around you.

Imagine literally drawing a false equivalency between having basic knowledge of geography to someone 'retain[ing] every piece of information they've ever had given to them in their lives.'

Those new countries south of Austria and Hungary, west of Romania always confuse me because they didn't exist when I learned Europe in grade 7 or 8.  Also some of the names and flags are very similar.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:39:39 am by JNM »

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5662 on: July 17, 2018, 10:34:50 am »
I kinda understand where most of the people stand. I suck at Geography myself, but I don't think there's shame in not knowing too many countries locations around the world. When I was in school, I took only one Geography class in middle school, and nothing beyond that. It's one thing to hear a lot about a country and actually know where it is on a map (especially the smaller ones).

Not knowing your own country is another thing though.

The World Ends With You

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5663 on: July 17, 2018, 10:41:12 am »
I kinda understand where most of the people stand. I suck at Geography myself, but I don't think there's shame in not knowing too many countries locations around the world. When I was in school, I took only one Geography class in middle school, and nothing beyond that. It's one thing to hear a lot about a country and actually know where it is on a map (especially the smaller ones).

Middle-school is not a particularly steep (academic) learning curve period.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5664 on: July 17, 2018, 10:46:52 am »
    No, I totally understand that not everybody will know what the capital of Wakanda is, or where El Dorado is on a map. That's pretty specialized knowledge.
    I'm referring to more basic stuff... like not knowing the capital of your own province/state, or what your immediate neighbouring countries are, or the names of the 8 major continents. People should know this, and I feel justified in getting all judgy if they don't.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:48:42 am by kyndo »

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5665 on: July 17, 2018, 11:43:01 am »
Sorry, if you can't point out 3, THREE, countries on a map, including your own for god's sake, there's something wrong.

And no, that's not the same thing as, "Well, your algebra ain't that great."

I'm not trying to sound like the self-righteous Canadian, of which there are many, but if you can't point out Mexico, YOURSELF, and Canada, then........... I don't know what to tell you. Not knowing the details of the French Revolution is not the same thing as knowing where your neighbours are on a map.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5666 on: July 17, 2018, 12:34:56 pm »
Sorry, if you can't point out 3, THREE, countries on a map, including your own for god's sake, there's something wrong.

I'm not trying to sound like the self-righteous Canadian, of which there are many, but if you can't point out Mexico, YOURSELF, and Canada, then........... I don't know what to tell you. Not knowing the details of the French Revolution is not the same thing as knowing where your neighbours are on a map.
True. I took this whole argument to mean if you can't pick out a country e.g Korea out on a map (if you've never even been there) then you're stupid. Yeah, not knowing the countries next to you, or where your country is on a map..oh dear

« Reply #5667 on: July 17, 2018, 12:39:35 pm »

True. I took this whole argument to mean if you can't pick out a country e.g Korea out on a map (if you've never even been there) then you're stupid. Yeah, not knowing the countries next to you, or where your country is on a map..oh dear

Yeah. Nobody will necessarily fault you if you can't pick locate Uzbekistan or something. But if someone is unable to locate or identify the country they live in and the surrounding countries, that's pretty embarrassing and worthy of some scorn.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5668 on: July 17, 2018, 12:41:52 pm »
Yeah. Nobody will necessarily fault you if you can't pick locate Uzbekistan or something.

Unless you're from Kazakhstan. They learn about their neighbours when they are taught about the Great Potassium War of 1977.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5669 on: July 17, 2018, 12:44:32 pm »
Yeah. Nobody will necessarily fault you if you can't pick locate Uzbekistan or something.

Unless you're from Kazakhstan. They learn about their neighbours when they are taught about the Great Potassium War of 1977.

Kazakhstan has the best potassium!

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #5670 on: July 17, 2018, 01:00:51 pm »
https://online.seterra.com/en/vgp/3069

This is fun, change the drop down menu under the map to "Place the labels" then see how long it takes you to get to 100%
Let's see how good we all are shall we  ;D

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #5671 on: July 17, 2018, 01:07:02 pm »
87% 3:09, 100% would take a few more attempts ...

This one is good too! https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/world
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5672 on: July 17, 2018, 01:10:59 pm »
87% 3:09, 100% would take a few more attempts ...

73% 2:39

Africa f's me every time. Northern Africa I got, but those southern ones, that aren't SA haha, always get me.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #5673 on: July 17, 2018, 01:12:18 pm »

This is fun, change the drop down menu under the map to "Place the labels" then see how long it takes you to get to 100%

I was doing great until I had to start filling in the non-Arab African countries. Oof.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5674 on: July 17, 2018, 01:33:16 pm »

I got 39% in 15 minutes lol When it came to Africa I was absolutely clueless
The World Ends With You

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #5675 on: July 17, 2018, 01:34:48 pm »

130/197  :cry:

Africa tripped me up again, along with all those tiny island nations in the Pacific and the Caribbean.

These two quizzes really have emphasized the Africa-sized hole in my knowledge. I ought to do something about that.

A couple months ago I started trying to teach myself Swahili, because I thought it'd be interesting to learn an African language (and incidentally the only reason I knew where Kenya and Tanzania were in that first quiz  :laugh:), but my studies kinda petered out in favor of the Japanese I've been trying to work on. I can only motivate myself to do so much, and in the absence of an actual teacher, I couldn't stick with both.

I'd still like to learn it or another African language one of these days, though. Any of you Saffas want to teach me some Xhosa?  :wink:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5676 on: July 17, 2018, 01:54:33 pm »
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #5677 on: July 17, 2018, 01:56:24 pm »

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5678 on: July 17, 2018, 01:58:39 pm »
130/197  :cry:

147!  :lipsrsealed:

Well my dad can beat up your dad.

No way. My dad is a maintenance man at a rural high school, he's fixing shit and carrying shit ALL DAY. He's as strong as on ox.

I'll bet you were named after your dad.......... Tim-id. hahahahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #5679 on: July 17, 2018, 02:13:46 pm »
Africa tripped me up again, along with all those tiny island nations in the Pacific and the Caribbean.

Africa is the biggest country in the world.  That's as much as I know.

Actually, Africa isn't a country. It's a continent.

(I know you were being sarcastic, but someone was going to come in and unironically correct you.)