Read 1061777 times

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5640 on: July 16, 2018, 09:35:08 am »
Had my baby's doljanchi yesterday and still trying to make sense of it. When it came time for her to reach for an object, she picked up the Frostmourne... :lipsrsealed:
Born to lead!

Oh, hey, found your daughter's pic!

What a cutie!

« Reply #5641 on: July 16, 2018, 10:03:28 am »
That's daddy's little sweetheart. And the life of the party, it turns out!

« Reply #5642 on: July 16, 2018, 10:07:33 am »
@ donovan:
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."

Sounds like big things are gonna come your daughter's way, I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about.

Actually, he was from America, but I was trying to avoid writing that in my original post.  So he'd be a teacher.  Actually, there was another guy (in the lower level class that I don't do anymore) who was wearing a dirty vest t-shirt with stains on it, and he was hairier than me.  :cry:

This all kind of reminds me of the guy I saw running around in short-shorts and a cutoff shirt last winter. Wasn't in a class, though, and I'm pretty sure it was part of a dare or something, but could be the makings of a MAD TV skit.

Maybe you and a bunch of others can beat them at their own game.

« Reply #5643 on: July 16, 2018, 10:22:50 am »

When chinguetti talks about "her suit", this is what she means :lipsrsealed:

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5644 on: July 16, 2018, 10:42:25 am »

Please don't wear the matching pants to school...  :huh: :cry:

Edit: I only caught the "her suit" pun now. Well done.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:23:45 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #5645 on: July 16, 2018, 10:51:34 am »

Please don't wear the matching pants to school...  :huh: :cry:

Don't be such a prude; the hair *tastefully* obscures everything~

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5646 on: July 16, 2018, 12:48:57 pm »
Kids screaming in the halls like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy6spOAbxhg
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5647 on: July 16, 2018, 08:28:55 pm »
"운동" my local grocery store manager told me as I left the building. I didn't realize until I looked in the mirror that he said "exercise," and basically called me fat without me even realizing it.

Curse you, infinite rice!
The World Ends With You

« Reply #5648 on: July 16, 2018, 10:23:37 pm »
"운동" my local grocery store manager told me as I left the building. I didn't realize until I looked in the mirror that he said "exercise," and basically called me fat without me even realizing it.

Curse you, infinite rice!
[/quote

That happened to me once. When he said I told him I wanted to return everything. He didn't like it. He happily took my money the next 5 years.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5649 on: July 17, 2018, 12:33:46 am »
I've noticed there's a large variance in human intelligence. Some of the Korean students I've taught are shockingly low level. This was also the case when I taught in the United States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRh1zXFKC_o

About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1126_021120_TVGeoRoperSurvey.html

« Reply #5650 on: July 17, 2018, 08:51:49 am »
I'm not sure about things like that.

I hate it when people are shamed or belittled for not knowing where countries/oceans are on a map.  Who memorises maps?

« Reply #5651 on: July 17, 2018, 08:57:12 am »
So last night my gym actually turned on the A/C. It's the first time I've ever seen that.

HOWEVER

They kept it at 30C.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5652 on: July 17, 2018, 08:58:55 am »
yeah, you can be bad at geography and still have high "human intelligence", as Life Improvement calls it

are those bad at maths (like myself) also of low human intelligence?

« Reply #5653 on: July 17, 2018, 09:04:24 am »
More concerning that people knowingly get filmed making a fool of themselves and still willingly sign the release papers to be made a fool on national television.

« Reply #5654 on: July 17, 2018, 09:16:13 am »
A lot of those times those people who sign release papers don't realize that they're going to be made a fool of, or for what they're really getting filmed for. They're normally not as ignorant as they're portrayed, but things get cut down and edited for the narrative.

For the others, it's all in good fun.

Also, just FYI, not all of these interviews provide release papers. People have been and are being sued for unethical/illegal practices. Happens A LOT, more than you'd be comfortable knowing about. xD
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:19:29 am by Chinguetti »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5655 on: July 17, 2018, 09:24:14 am »

I hate it when people are shamed or belittled for not knowing where countries/oceans are on a map.  Who memorises maps?
Um, everybody? Or at least, everybody who manages to graduate from primary school...

But unless you're a travel agent or something, it doesn't really matter: most people tend not to be trivia wizards on topics that don't relate to their lives. Like others have already noted, there's a huge difference between being ignorant on a topic, and being unintelligent.  :undecided:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:27:57 am by kyndo »

« Reply #5656 on: July 17, 2018, 09:27:33 am »
Yeah, learning the oceans and continents is part of primary education, at least it was in my part of the States. Pretty sure that's part of the U.S. curriculum in general.

But tbf, most people don't retain most of the geography they learn unless there's something in their lives to help cement it. Or a personal interest.

« Reply #5657 on: July 17, 2018, 09:32:26 am »

Um, everybody? Or at least, everybody who manages to graduate from primary school...

I'm with K on this.  Who is not curious and interested in the world and countries when they were in primary school?

Well yeah that's true but I suppose some people don't retain every piece of information they've ever had given to them in their lives.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5658 on: July 17, 2018, 09:39:23 am »

I'm with K on this.  Who is not curious and interested in the world and countries when they were in primary school?
Well yeah that's true but I suppose some people don't retain every piece of information they've ever had given to them in their lives.
     That's certainly true. And it's exactly this where I think a lot of the judgment come in: not caring enough to know ( or remember) even where your own country fits in on a map shows an almost pathological disinterest in the world around you.

« Reply #5659 on: July 17, 2018, 09:52:02 am »

That's certainly true. And it's exactly this where I think a lot of the judgment come in: not caring enough to know ( or remember) even where your own country fits in on a map shows an almost pathological disinterest in the world around you.

Imagine literally drawing a false equivalency between having basic knowledge of geography to someone 'retain[ing] every piece of information they've ever had given to them in their lives.'