Read 1030214 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5520 on: July 03, 2018, 10:32:53 am »
I have a full Korean student named 정필립 .

I can't help but think that if he ever moved to France, he'd fit right in.
I am not even joking about this. I have a student named 박유

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5521 on: July 03, 2018, 10:37:34 am »
Is that 퍼큐's friend?
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #5522 on: July 03, 2018, 10:50:44 am »
Is that 퍼큐's friend?

It better be. Trust me, 박유 is enough to keep the jokes(?) rolling.

« Reply #5523 on: July 03, 2018, 11:22:11 am »

I've heard of Korean Catholics naming their kids Corea-fied biblical names.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a girl named 정은 :sad: She seems happy though~
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:36:48 am by donovan »

« Reply #5524 on: July 03, 2018, 11:27:36 am »
The kids and I have all checked out. We all know this about each other, we're not fooling anyone.

I've heard of Korean Catholics naming their kids Corea-fied biblical names, but never Greek.

I'm not getting this one.

« Reply #5525 on: July 03, 2018, 11:30:10 am »
The kids and I have all checked out. We all know this about each other, we're not fooling anyone.

I've heard of Korean Catholics naming their kids Corea-fied biblical names, but never Greek.

I forgot that there's a Philip was in the bible. Couldn't edit in time apparently :-[

정은 as in Kim Jong-un  :-*
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:31:43 am by donovan »

« Reply #5526 on: July 03, 2018, 11:31:47 am »

I forgot that there's a Philip was in the bible. Couldn't edit in time apparently :-[

정은 as in Kim Jong-un  :-*

Okay, I thought 정은 was in reference to the bible bit and I was just sitting here, spinning my pen, trying to figure it out. xD

« Reply #5527 on: July 03, 2018, 11:36:01 am »
Ah, well there's the biblical Jong-un too.

« Reply #5528 on: July 03, 2018, 12:20:30 pm »
It's probably just me, but sometimes I get a little confused with the petrol prices here.  Around my way, the petrol costs about 1590 won a litre.  Problem is when I see it priced at 1630 won per litre, I always think it is 1430, like it is in 24-hour clock mode, and therefore think it's really cheap. Until I remind myself....  :sad: Maybe because I'm not used to figures that size and the fact they also look like clock digits.  Actually, I've just talked myself out of why I might be mental.   :laugh:

Dave teacher, take a rest.
Who is here in 2019?

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #5529 on: July 03, 2018, 01:01:31 pm »

I don't understand. D:

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5530 on: July 03, 2018, 01:20:22 pm »

I don't understand. D:

박유 romanized looks like "Pak-Yoo" which sounds a lot like something bad in English
The World Ends With You

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #5531 on: July 03, 2018, 01:40:28 pm »

I don't understand. D:

박유 romanized looks like "Pak-Yoo" which sounds a lot like something bad in English

Ahhh. Lol. Thanks!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5532 on: July 03, 2018, 02:26:07 pm »
It's probably just me, but sometimes I get a little confused with the petrol prices here.  Around my way, the petrol costs about 1590 won a litre.  Problem is when I see it priced at 1630 won per litre, I always think it is 1430, like it is in 24-hour clock mode, and therefore think it's really cheap. Until I remind myself....  :sad: Maybe because I'm not used to figures that size and the fact they also look like clock digits.  Actually, I've just talked myself out of why I might be mental.   :laugh:

Dave teacher, take a rest.
I think he meant to type 4:30 rather than 1430. Because 1630 won translates to... uh, 4:30 won o'clock.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #5533 on: July 04, 2018, 07:47:31 am »
At my school (and perhaps all schools in my province?), middle school first graders have a "Free semester." That means that for one semester, they don't have exams, and they have a fun project or field trip instead. Now, you'd think that the free semester would be first semester, so the school would be able to give them cumulative end of year exams to see how they're doing. However, for both of the years since this policy began, the free semester has been the second semester.

That means not only will the school not be able to measure their progress before they move on to the second grade, but I'll also have an entire grade of students who know that they aren't going to be graded on anything meaningful for the entire second half of the school year.

Hooray!

« Reply #5534 on: July 04, 2018, 07:59:48 am »
This takes place in my province, too.

And the only thing that the kids want (and expect) to do is play games, lol. But my school wants them working on projects so that it'll have something to show off by the end of the year. When I don't give the students games, they try to check out and pretend they don't understand the activities so that they can drag their feet (they believe that if they do this often enough, that I'll give up and they can at least have free time). I don't let them get away with it, but it's definitely a struggle, and projects that should take no more than three weeks to complete end up taking around five because I have to micromanage just to make sure everyone is pulling their own weights.

I plan on playing dirty this year.

« Reply #5535 on: July 04, 2018, 08:55:05 am »
I have been doing this for 5 years, as my previous school was one of the pilot schools, and I don't care for it. If they do do it, it should be during the very first semester. I don't remember 2nd grade middle schoolers being as S*&&# as they are now days, since the change. It is like if they do it in the second semester (especially) they lack motivation (even more so than before) when it comes time to get to business. In my opinion, it slowly erases a certain kind of drive to focus. Anyway... At least this semester is almost done. Just a downer that I only have a week before the beginning of the next...

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #5536 on: July 04, 2018, 09:36:47 am »
Do they have their exams after the first semester then the free semester? or they still have final exams at the end of it all?

Because surely that's better. Otherwise they'll be "free" for a semester then have to kick into study mode after enjoying themselves?

Harder for teachers maybe, but isn't this way better for students? If they are going to insist on one semester being free at all I mean.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #5537 on: July 04, 2018, 09:51:30 am »
My college had a "free" semester for incoming freshmen (our grades were covered/secret for that semester). It was to help us "adjust" to the rigors of college and try some classes or subjects we might not be the best in, but have an interest in. I thought that might be the idea here as well...

« Reply #5538 on: July 04, 2018, 09:54:21 am »
Do they have their exams after the first semester then the free semester? or they still have final exams at the end of it all?

Because surely that's better. Otherwise they'll be "free" for a semester then have to kick into study mode after enjoying themselves?

Harder for teachers maybe, but isn't this way better for students? If they are going to insist on one semester being free at all I mean.

I suppose it may be done differently at different schools. Currently (this year), my students have a free semester their first semester, and then final exams. Next semester they have the free semester and try so hard to forget everything. When they become 2nd graders they have lost all motivation, and the scores from the first semester are used to determine their levels for the first semester of 2nd grade, you know, eight months after they  have been in study mode. It would make more sense, to me, to do it the first semester while they are also intrigued with being in new classes and a new environment, and then after be acclimated, get them into study mode to continue on...

« Reply #5539 on: July 04, 2018, 10:24:52 am »
Just remembered that the coT at one school I taught at insisted that we still cover the textbook during the free semester. The students just never got tested on any of it.

I understood her feelings on that (she was too afraid that they'd fall behind everyone else, and she wanted to keep them on the level), but had we tested them they probably would've scored -10%, for all the good it did them.

Anyway, I had one coT tell me that they're doing the free semester thing partially as an experiment, and yeah, they're trying to do things how they do it in countries like Switzerland. The problem is that they're using a method that was created for a specific education system and from a different culture, and Korea hasn't done anything to "customize" it to fit their own system. So then it falls on the schools to try to make it fit, and most of them don't know what they're doing. Some of them will send their principals over to those countries to observe the system (I don't really know how much "observing" they do, though), then the principals return to implement whatever however they see fit. From my own experience so far, a lot of the times it comes down to making posters, writing "essays", or making anything that can be displayed in the regional show-and-tell. It's really hit or miss.