Read 956877 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5460 on: June 26, 2018, 07:59:17 am »
How often do you find yourself driving with less than an eighth of a tank?! hahaha :laugh:

I did this a lot because I hated stopping off at gas stations, so I'd always tell myself I'd get the next station.

Ended up running out of gas while on my way somewhere three times.

« Reply #5461 on: June 26, 2018, 08:46:17 am »
How often do you find yourself driving with less than an eighth of a tank?! hahaha :laugh:

I did this a lot because I hated stopping off at gas stations, so I'd always tell myself I'd get the next station.

Can be bad for your engine, no? Not just running out of gas, but even just driving when it's low...

« Reply #5462 on: June 26, 2018, 09:02:25 am »

Can be bad for your engine, no? Not just running out of gas, but even just driving when it's low...

It is, but I was in high school at the time.

The car itself was a beat-up old '86 Ford Supra anyway. First car, paid for with money from a part-time job, so it was the sort of thing that most car buyers would only look at for parts to cherry up other cars. Literally ate up oil, so I had to pour in a bottle of oil every week just to make sure it stayed above that little safety mark. Black, leather interior, and a clear sun roof, no working A/C, in Texas -- I overlooked a bag of groceries in there, once, and it had some eggs. When I found them a few hours later, they were cooked.

So I think between being young and stupid, I was just a glutton for punishment. I still miss that piece of shit, though. It had the most powerful engine, literally 0 to 60 with just tapping the pedal.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5463 on: June 26, 2018, 09:51:17 am »

Yes.

Dirt in your tank settles to the bottom, so a full tank is providing cleaner fuel.

Also, on cold weather more air space in your tank means more water condensing and further contaminating your fuel.

« Reply #5464 on: June 26, 2018, 11:33:41 am »

It is, but I was in high school at the time.

The car itself was a beat-up old '86 Ford Supra anyway. First car, paid for with money from a part-time job, so it was the sort of thing that most car buyers would only look at for parts to cherry up other cars. Literally ate up oil, so I had to pour in a bottle of oil every week just to make sure it stayed above that little safety mark. Black, leather interior, and a clear sun roof, no working A/C, in Texas -- I overlooked a bag of groceries in there, once, and it had some eggs. When I found them a few hours later, they were cooked.

So I think between being young and stupid, I was just a glutton for punishment. I still miss that piece of shit, though. It had the most powerful engine, literally 0 to 60 with just tapping the pedal.

I'm not trying to be pedantic because I'm literally not a car person, but weren't Supras made by Toyota? I didn't know this at all, but I wanted to see what your old car looked like so I Googled 'Ford Supra' and only Toyotas came up.

« Reply #5465 on: June 26, 2018, 11:39:40 am »
impressive car!

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5466 on: June 26, 2018, 11:47:32 am »
My local grocery store, 하모니 마트, is literally right behind my building. Besides the limited cereal options, the only thing that bugs me is that the big liter water packs are all kept outside, in front of the store. I wasn't too bothered at first, but it's been hot lately, and that's no good for anyone buying this stuff  :undecided:
The World Ends With You

« Reply #5467 on: June 26, 2018, 11:50:52 am »
I'm not trying to be pedantic because I'm literally not a car person, but weren't Supras made by Toyota? I didn't know this at all, but I wanted to see what your old car looked like so I Googled 'Ford Supra' and only Toyotas came up.

No, you're right, I had a brain hemorrhage and typed the wrong make.

Anyway this was my first car, just crappier.

« Reply #5468 on: June 26, 2018, 11:55:16 am »

No, you're right, I had a brain hemorrhage and typed the wrong make.

Anyway this was my first car, just crappier.

That's pretty cool.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5469 on: June 26, 2018, 11:56:41 am »
My local grocery store, 하모니 마트, is literally right behind my building. Besides the limited cereal options, the only thing that bugs me is that the big liter water packs are all kept outside, in front of the store. I wasn't too bothered at first, but it's been hot lately, and that's no good for anyone buying this stuff  :undecided:
haha yeah. the marts near me keep their fruit juices outside all year. frozen daily in winter, warmed up daily in summer. ugh

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5470 on: June 26, 2018, 11:58:41 am »
This was my car, colour and all; chicks were NOT picked up. But, my grandma did gift it to me, so it only cost me 60$ at city hall to transfer ownership. Also, my mom legally owned it, but it was my car, she never used it, so my insurance was wayyyyyy cheaper. 50 yr old mom vs 18 yr old guy, no contest on insurance rates. hahaha

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #5471 on: June 26, 2018, 12:03:40 pm »
This was my car, colour and all; chicks were NOT picked up. But, my grandma did gift it to me, so it only cost me 60$ at city hall to transfer ownership. Also, my mom legally owned it, but it was my car, she never used it, so my insurance was wayyyyyy cheaper. 50 yr old mom vs 18 yr old guy, no contest on insurance rates. hahaha

This was my first car.....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/1987-90_Chevrolet_Celebrity_Sedan.jpg

I swear mine had rust holes so big on the side that you could dive into one if you were getting shot at.

« Reply #5472 on: June 26, 2018, 12:53:36 pm »
My first (and as it happens, only) car when I was 16: 1985 Lincoln Town Car

Same year I was born :azn:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5473 on: June 26, 2018, 01:16:42 pm »
A weird aside, but Ali G made me think of my favourite Borat clip from the TV show. I know a lot of people have seen the movie, but his TV clips are all priceless, too!

2:11, so classic.

EDIT Last 45 seconds are pretty damn NSFW, didn't remember that part. hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdp21zzu41Y
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:20:31 pm by CO2 »
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #5474 on: June 26, 2018, 02:22:28 pm »
Donovan, that car must have been packed with girls, but you were also broke from it only doing 2 miles to the gallon.  The proverbial magnet! Aaaiiiiieeeee!  Respect!

Yes, The Girls delighted in that car, and luckily we never traveled much farther than the bingo hall, so I didn't have to fill it up more than once a week.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5475 on: June 26, 2018, 02:31:52 pm »
Donovan, that car must have been packed with girls, but you were also broke from it only doing 2 miles to the gallon.  The proverbial magnet! Aaaiiiiieeeee!  Respect!

Yes, The Girls delighted in that car, and luckily we never traveled much farther than the bingo hall, so I didn't have to fill it up more than once a week.
My school is blocking the link, so I'm gonna assume its for "The Bang Bus" or something equally depraved.

For shame.  >:(

« Reply #5476 on: June 26, 2018, 03:08:47 pm »

My school is blocking the link, so I'm gonna assume its for "The Bang Bus" or something equally depraved.

For shame.  >:(

'Bingo hall' was a dead giveaway, wasn't it? :sad:

« Reply #5477 on: June 26, 2018, 03:58:55 pm »
I just met a former student on he bus. He says hes trying to get into a boys high school next year. Why? Its hard to compete with the girls. Their (not so secret) weapon? Paper organizers ;D

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #5478 on: June 27, 2018, 10:19:24 am »
No classes today apart from 80min after school later where we are watching a movie anyway.

Do I -
A: Make a future plan.
B: Do nothing.
C: start a million different things because I feel like I've got so much to do but then not actually achieve anything and end up just wasting the day.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5479 on: June 27, 2018, 11:48:41 am »
No classes today apart from 80min after school later where we are watching a movie anyway.

Do I -
A: Make a future plan.
B: Do nothing.
C: start a million different things because I feel like I've got so much to do but then not actually achieve anything and end up just wasting the day.

C kinda turns into B at some point, but it's better than not starting at all. Sometimes laying the groundwork for your future plans helps you get started much later
The World Ends With You