Read 1002446 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5160 on: May 18, 2018, 08:44:12 am »
A couple of days ago, my younger brother sent me this video of some guy taking off his shirt and then falling down some steps in London.  I showed it to my wife yesterday and she said it had been on the Korean news.

Haha. yeah, I saw it last night on TV. My wife thought it was hillllarious~ (it's admittedly pretty funny)

« Reply #5161 on: May 18, 2018, 09:07:25 am »
His face took it all the way down...man that sucks.

On another note, I am trying to figure out the best way to tell the custodian that the bathrooms are too dirty. I mean, I can handle a dirty bathroom to some extent, but there is black mold growing all over the place. Not to mention there is phlegm all over the back of the doors. I suppose she just opens the door and cleans, but what is on the inside behind the door is so much worse.

« Reply #5162 on: May 18, 2018, 09:07:56 am »
A couple of days ago, my younger brother sent me this video of some guy taking off his shirt and then falling down some steps in London.  I showed it to my wife yesterday and she said it had been on the Korean news.

Like the slime mold or whatever the **** was on those steps wasn't going to give him any other option, he just had to accept his fate and brace himself for the onslaught.

I hope the water didn't stink too much for him. xD

On another note, I am trying to figure out the best way to tell the custodian that the bathrooms are too dirty. I mean, I can handle a dirty bathroom to some extent, but there is black mold growing all over the place. Not to mention there is phlegm all over the back of the doors. I suppose she just opens the door and cleans, but what is on the inside behind the door is so much worse.

That's probably the reason why she avoids it. xD Not sure what the school is giving her to work with, but I doubt she's getting paid enough, whatever the case may be.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:09:43 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #5163 on: May 18, 2018, 09:19:03 am »

That's probably the reason why she avoids it. xD Not sure what the school is giving her to work with, but I doubt she's getting paid enough, whatever the case may be.
[/quote]

Well, I went in and cleaned it last year. I definitely don't think it was/is in my job description. I might have to bring it up, and if nothing happens, I'll bring stuff to scrub it. Maybe when the vice principal and others see the native teacher scrubbing the restroom, they will be a bit more inclined to ask the lady to check it.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5164 on: May 18, 2018, 09:26:32 am »

Well, I went in and cleaned it last year. I definitely don't think it was/is in my job description. I might have to bring it up, and if nothing happens, I'll bring stuff to scrub it. Maybe when the vice principal and others see the native teacher scrubbing the restroom, they will be a bit more inclined to ask the lady to check it.
[/quote]

More likely they will be paralyzed by cognitive dissonance.
On the one hand, your standards are higher than anyone else, AND you are willing to lower yourself do menial work.

« Reply #5165 on: May 18, 2018, 09:36:17 am »
Honestly, I've thought about taking pictures of some of the common and disgusting things I see in the student bathrooms here so that I can stick them in slides and (hopefully) shame the students into stopping the behaviors to begin with. They don't really think about how disgusting and inconsiderate it is. Sometimes pointing it out makes them think enough about it that it significantly decreases if not completely stops the behavior.

For boys, it's spit and phlegm. For girls, it's makeup smears on surfaces and trash in the sinks -- it looks way worse than it sounds.

« Reply #5166 on: May 18, 2018, 09:39:32 am »

More likely they will be paralyzed by cognitive dissonance.
On the one hand, your standards are higher than anyone else, AND you are willing to lower yourself do menial work.
[/quote]

I am willing to do it, but it won't be without some amount of time pressuring for someone to clean it.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5167 on: May 18, 2018, 09:47:28 am »
Guys, please send your thoughts. Some of my students were in a car accident and the school has been in a gloomy mood all day. I don't know all the details, but it can't be good considering all the crying students I've had in my office. Please and thanks again for your consideration.
The World Ends With You

« Reply #5168 on: May 18, 2018, 10:07:00 am »
Guys, please send your thoughts. Some of my students were in a car accident and the school has been in a gloomy mood all day. I don't know all the details, but it can't be good considering all the crying students I've had in my office. Please and thanks again for your consideration.

That's awful. I hope everyone survived. Please let us know any developments.

« Reply #5169 on: May 18, 2018, 12:48:52 pm »
I don't know what's going on right now, but it literally sounds like the students are bowling with every piece of furniture in the entire school.

It's evolved from bowling to getting tossed around in a dryer. I really want to be nosy and find out what's going on, but I'm too afraid that I'll end up getting roped into doing whatever the **** they're doing, too.

« Reply #5170 on: May 18, 2018, 12:55:36 pm »

My second year here my hagwon's bus got into a pretty bad accident, with the driver in critical condition and one of the girls with a pretty serious leg injury.  It was a rough few weeks after that.  I'm sorry your school has to go through that now.

Good reason to follow traffic laws and posted speeds.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:57:21 pm by donovan »

« Reply #5171 on: May 18, 2018, 12:58:19 pm »

Only now just saw this. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Sending you and everyone involved/affected the best.

« Reply #5172 on: May 18, 2018, 01:02:06 pm »
I don't know what's going on right now, but it literally sounds like the students are bowling with every piece of furniture in the entire school.

It's evolved from bowling to getting tossed around in a dryer. I really want to be nosy and find out what's going on, but I'm too afraid that I'll end up getting roped into doing whatever the **** they're doing, too.

Smart move.

I've regretted asking too many questions in the past as it usually ends up with me either A) moving pointless heavy sh*t B) cleaning useless dirty sh*t or C) being told about some after work-hours event that I could've avoided, but now must attend (thanks to my own self-destructive nosiness).

Nothing good can come from knowing things. Nothing.

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #5173 on: May 18, 2018, 02:29:00 pm »

I truly hope it's not as bad as it sounds. I would be a mess if my students were seriously injured or worse in an accident. Sending hope your way brother.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

• ESLTurtle
  • Super Waygook

• October 25, 2017, 07:58:46 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5174 on: May 18, 2018, 02:35:06 pm »

I truly hope it's not as bad as it sounds. I would be a mess if my students were seriously injured or worse in an accident. Sending hope your way brother.

Praying for you and your students, mate. Godspeed.

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2017, 12:32:17 am
    • United States
« Reply #5175 on: May 18, 2018, 05:11:12 pm »

Did you find anything out? I hope everyone is okay and nothing serious happened.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5176 on: May 18, 2018, 07:44:39 pm »
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20180517000634

Four students were injured by a teacherís car that suddenly accelerated toward them at a middle school parking lot in Cheongju, North Chungcheong Province.

The teacherís sedan unexpectedly accelerated, ran down the school safety fence and drove onto the sidewalk around 8:20 a.m. Thursday inside the schoolís parking lot, said Cheongjuís Cheongwon Police Station.

The vehicle hit four students who were on their way to school. One of them suffered a head injury and is still unconscious, while the other three suffered minor and severe injuries. The teacher was hurt in the accident as well, according to police.

Police are investigating the case. The teacher claimed that her vehicle suddenly charged at the safety fence and went onto the sidewalk while she was parking.

I heard the news from my co-teacher, Thursday evening, but not in great detail. I was teaching at my second school on Thursday when it happened. On my way to the school today, I noticed the fence was missing, but hadn't heard the details. Today during a teacher's meeting in my province, other GETs were asking me about it because they heard the news in this article. I'm only sad because I'm not sure which students were hurt, and which teacher is responsible.  :sad:

On another note, my principal decided that because of this incident, the teachers should come to work on Monday rather than have the day off because ??????????  :undecided:

I'm going to 인천 that day regardless.
The World Ends With You

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States
« Reply #5177 on: May 22, 2018, 10:28:35 am »
I've been going over in my head what happened yesterday and what I'm gonna tell the PoE at our meeting but just..

I wanna say that being assaulted by a student is my breaking point, it's where I draw the line.

I don't think it's acceptable in any circumstance, and the attitude about it here just isn't to my tastes. Just kinda going "Oh haha well you know kids...bein' kids, assaulting teachers haha, those darn kids."

Has anyone here been hit by a kid before during class? What did your school do?

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #5178 on: May 22, 2018, 11:13:02 am »
I've been going over in my head what happened yesterday and what I'm gonna tell the PoE at our meeting but just..

I wanna say that being assaulted by a student is my breaking point, it's where I draw the line.

I don't think it's acceptable in any circumstance, and the attitude about it here just isn't to my tastes. Just kinda going "Oh haha well you know kids...bein' kids, assaulting teachers haha, those darn kids."

Never been hit but when a kid is particularly bad then their homeroom teacher makes them apologise.

I guess the big question is - What do you want to happen? What would resolve this issue and other issues for you?

I guess when having any meeting with the POE you need to figure out what you want and what is possible.

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States
« Reply #5179 on: May 22, 2018, 11:48:30 am »

Never been hit but when a kid is particularly bad then their homeroom teacher makes them apologise.

I guess the big question is - What do you want to happen? What would resolve this issue and other issues for you?

I guess when having any meeting with the POE you need to figure out what you want and what is possible.

The thing is, I don't really think there's much to be done now, but it just really underscored how I don't think anyone is going to have my back (ba-dum-tss) at this school. I'll check tomorrow and see if it was carried to the higher ups.

I don't want to make this a slippery slope argument, but if a kid already thinks it fine to headbutt a teacher when their back is turned because they said no, what would they do next time? Would this happen to a Korean teacher? Would there be punishment?

This is my line in the sand but I don't know if I have much of a leg to stand on here. It really just hurts me more mentally than physically (it's a close race though, I can't bend over today) seeing that the reaction wasn't like "let's write up an incident report and I'll talk to the principal."

I have no idea what the chain of procedures is for this in Korea. I knew back in the states how it would go. But with this, idk what to push.