Read 958966 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5140 on: May 15, 2018, 11:59:54 am »
I like my coffee without any sugar. And without any milk. And without any form of coffee. And I like it cold, but not too cold. :p

Kalhua.  I like my coffee with kalhua.

I like my cold water without any coffee. :P

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5141 on: May 16, 2018, 01:14:59 pm »
The girls here crack me up.

We're in the middle of a fire drill and everyone's moving to the school field. Get to the middle lobby area and of course there are two girls checking their makeup in the mirror. Heaven forbid this was a real fire, though I wouldn't be surprised if they did it then  :laugh:
The World Ends With You

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #5142 on: May 16, 2018, 01:24:58 pm »
For our drill all the kids were shepherded out of the school building and straight into the gym :undecided:
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #5143 on: May 16, 2018, 01:28:20 pm »
Wonder where they'll go for tomorrow's fire drill! Maybe the kitchen?
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

« Reply #5144 on: May 16, 2018, 01:38:32 pm »
I just found out that in the event of a fire I'm supposed to be guiding people out of the school. Has this always been my role? This is my 6th year at this school. I was just planning on running downstairs and breaking the locked emergency doors open with the fire-extinguisher stored next to them.

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2017, 12:32:17 am
    • United States
« Reply #5145 on: May 16, 2018, 01:57:03 pm »
I just found out that in the event of a fire I'm supposed to be guiding people out of the school. Has this always been my role? This is my 6th year at this school. I was just planning on running downstairs and breaking the locked emergency doors open with the fire-extinguisher stored next to them.
Dude I literally have no idea what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go during emergencies, because every time we have a drill they never come get me or they never tell me we're having one until after it's been done.

I don't even know where our fire exits are. At least you're one step above me haha

But seriously, why is this seemingly such a common thing. We just aren't briefed on safety measures I guess as a general

« Reply #5146 on: May 16, 2018, 03:20:59 pm »
Dude I literally have no idea what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go during emergencies, because every time we have a drill they never come get me or they never tell me we're having one until after it's been done.

I don't even know where our fire exits are. At least you're one step above me haha

But seriously, why is this seemingly such a common thing. We just aren't briefed on safety measures I guess as a general

Because Koreans focus solely on the outcome, if no-one dies, it was fine.  They have no idea of prevention, or preparedness.  Every time there is a tragedy, there is a big boo-hoo, a culprit is found, and everyone goes back to doing the same thing as before.

Last year there were 2 fires, and many died due to badly parked cars obstructing the fire engines.  A stink was kicked up, but nothing changed, no crack downs on bad parking, just gnashing of teeth and wailing, then it happened again, and the reaction was the same, but people still park badly around public buildings.

Until Korea understands that prevention is better than cure, it will be viewed as a waste of time and money to prepare for something that may never happen.  Kind of the same thinking behind motorcyclist not wearing helmets here: "Well, i have never crashed, so i have never needed one"

Fire doors are still chained shut!

Remember the Sewol!

« Reply #5147 on: May 17, 2018, 11:16:48 am »
A bee made it in to my last classroom and the kids didn't completely freak out :shocked:

It was an actual bee, not a wasp, but it was still a big sucker.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5148 on: May 17, 2018, 11:42:23 am »
A bee made it in to my last classroom and the kids didn't completely freak out :shocked:

hmm. most korean kids are absolute wimps. does anyone else agree? scared of any insects, go to the nurse's office for non-existent injuries, don't like to do painting or play with clay, etc because it's 'dirty' (at least, in my experience)

« Reply #5149 on: May 17, 2018, 12:10:10 pm »
Looks like oglop (and APF) kicked the bee's nest this time :lipsrsealed:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5150 on: May 17, 2018, 12:21:02 pm »
Looks like oglop (and APF) kicked the hornet's nest this time :lipsrsealed:

The joys of fauxtherhood

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 02, 2014, 08:19:08 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5151 on: May 17, 2018, 12:35:56 pm »

hmm. most korean kids are absolute wimps. does anyone else agree? scared of any insects, go to the nurse's office for non-existent injuries, don't like to do painting or play with clay, etc because it's 'dirty' (at least, in my experience)

It's not just kids. Grown ass adults will go to the 'hospital' if they have a minor cold. And doctors will put a literal cast on someone for a non-existent injury. Parents will take their kid to a doctor and the doctor will give them medicine if the kid just has the sniffles. It's ridiculous.
We had a student that took 4 days off to recover from surgery to remove a piece of pencil lead from her finger. This was a very very small piece of lead too. I remember my friends just waiting for it to work itself out when that happened to us. But she had actual surgery to remove it, and then needed time to recover.

« Reply #5152 on: May 17, 2018, 12:45:27 pm »
Looks like oglop (and APF) kicked the hornet's nest this time :lipsrsealed:

*Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross soundtrack plays*

I think that was Noomi Rapace.

Kids are wimps. That's why it was so remarkable. They have a tough, no-nonsense homeroom teacher though; perhaps that made all the difference.

« Reply #5153 on: May 17, 2018, 12:51:51 pm »
Should help me nail down that contract renewal~

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5154 on: May 17, 2018, 01:04:05 pm »

Scene: Open class with Donovan Teacher giving a monologue.

Enter: mountain gorilla

Class breaks eye contact with teacher for a second, but then continues to be enthralled by the riveting presentation.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5155 on: May 17, 2018, 01:06:42 pm »
Fire Drill Round 2 at my 2nd school

This time the firetrucks and ambulance were there for demonstration. But as you can imagine, none of the students were focused on them. No, why pay attention to these kind people taking time out of their day when you can talk to your buddies? I sure hope somebody learned something from this.
The World Ends With You

« Reply #5156 on: May 17, 2018, 01:11:34 pm »

Scene: Open class with Donovan Teacher giving a monologue.

Enter: mountain gorilla

Class breaks eye contact with teacher for a second, but then continues to be enthralled by the riveting presentation.

"Put the goddamned balls away!"

« Reply #5157 on: May 17, 2018, 01:44:51 pm »
Here's my visual lesson plan (I'd be playing the part of Boney M)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GX5VjeMng

Does anyone else notice that Boney M gets a lot of play in Korea?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vwsxQDUTZo

This is also the song that my fifth grade textbook's lesson 4 "Sing Along" is set to. Never heard of the guy before coming here.

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2017, 12:32:17 am
    • United States
« Reply #5158 on: May 17, 2018, 02:36:14 pm »

It's not just kids. Grown ass adults will go to the 'hospital' if they have a minor cold. And doctors will put a literal cast on someone for a non-existent injury. Parents will take their kid to a doctor and the doctor will give them medicine if the kid just has the sniffles. It's ridiculous.
We had a student that took 4 days off to recover from surgery to remove a piece of pencil lead from her finger. This was a very very small piece of lead too. I remember my friends just waiting for it to work itself out when that happened to us. But she had actual surgery to remove it, and then needed time to recover.

I've had a piece of graphite embedded in my thigh since the spring of 2008 lmao. Not to be all "kids are wimps here, back in my day..." but..... cmon.

• Mike.T
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2017, 09:57:45 am
    • Korea
« Reply #5159 on: May 17, 2018, 03:23:38 pm »

Donovan, this is your big chance, bud.  Start small, with the bee, and then work your way up, size-wise, through the creatures that get released into the classroom and get them to resist reaction.  It'll be great training for them. Bee, pigeon, crab, lemur, dingo, pony, ox, camel, Badoon, cave troll, mumakil, and then finally on the last day of term Thanos.  Piece of piss.

I had a bird stuck in the corridors last week, and a big one at that. Metre wing span at least!

Then again, at my last workplace a baby goat managed to find its way in, so I'm already pretty high up the animal chain I think...