Read 1033498 times

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4860 on: April 17, 2018, 02:11:29 pm »

:afro: Sadayng yawk gajuh sayyo (사데잉 역 가쯔 세이요)

I almost had a stroke just trying to read that English alone
The World Ends With You

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #4861 on: April 18, 2018, 07:40:27 am »
I've noticed that whenever I try speaking to people in my school in Korean I always get the reaction of like...
"What? Huh? *laughter* What?"

I actually stopped trying to speak and just show them google translate on my phone because that was always the reaction and I felt like I was completely wrong when speaking. But I'd look it up and practice 20 times on my walk to school and say "The weather is good today!" or "Where is the library?" but every reaction was just "what? what?" and I'd get embarrassed and say forget it.

Is it a common occurrence for everyone or are people just shocked/unwilling to communicate?

something similar happened to my yesterday. i was leaving the gym and i saw this older man (mid 40's i would guess) walking into the gym. we have seen each other inside the gym many times. i am only foreigner that goes to this place. there are NO OTHER shops or restaurants inside this building yet. my gym is on the 7th floor and every other floor of the building is completely empty.  the gym is the ONLY business open inside this building. if you are going into or out of this building, it's because you belong to this gym.

as i'm walking out and he's walking in, i hold the door for him and greet him in korean. he stands there and stares. we are both in the doorway with me holding the door open awkwardly. i ask him in korean if he's going to the gym. he stands there and doesn't answer but continues to just stare at me. i could tell he was a bit shocked that a stranger (and foreigner) for that matter was trying to make small talk with him. what got me frustrated was i was speaking korean...how/why could this dude not just hit me with an anyong and be on his way. he just completely froze and stood there. keep in mind, this wasn't some rice farmer that has lived out in the sticks his whole life that has never had convo with a foreigner, this is a businessman in a suit carrying a briefcase. it was so awkward i just said something like, allllright then and walked out of the doorway while he was still standing there.

here's my thing...read the situation and BE A HUMAN. smile, give a wave or a nod, and keep it moving.

Here's a little perspective for you:

How do you feel when someone comes up to you and starts an unsolicited conversation for no reason other than they want to practice their English and they think it's novel to talk to a foreigner?

Now, how do you think that guy felt when he was just going to the gym, and some random person starts talking to him and making small talk just because?

Probably about the same.

basedcowboyshirt - come on man. there's a difference between trying to exchange simple pleasantries and getting stared at like an alien and somebody trying to squeeze an english lesson out of you as you wait at a bus stop.

and here's a little perspective for you - it looks like we've both been in korea for around the same amount of time, so chill with trying to explain to me how i should feel or giving me your advice like i'm some kid that just landed at incheon. congrats bro - you have 8000 posts so you must be a better foreigner than me.

1) if you reply to this, please do that thing where you start with "waygook.org user ID identification tag" apancoe because that's necessary.

2) make sure to mention how sugar is LITERALLY poison ( it's AWESOME how you crash the discussion every time somebody mentions cake or ice cream with your shtick)

3) do that thing where you type a sentence like you're so smart and you're trying to explain something very slowly to somebody. Do....Do you understand what i mean?

and

4) don't forget to drop some dumb quote from LIL B that makes you look soooo #RanDOm & #EDGY
too many blueprints & not enough architects

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4862 on: April 18, 2018, 07:56:01 am »
I don't think the guy understands how condescending he (basedcowboyshirt) comes across. Or he does and he's just a bit of a knob.

His thing has always been "I just don't understand how ___________ is difficult for you. I've never experienced that. Are you sure that happened to you, because um...ah...like that doesn't sound true at all." Nails on a chalkboard.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
The joys of fauxtherhood

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #4864 on: April 18, 2018, 01:50:50 pm »
I tried vegemite once. 

Exactly once. 

« Reply #4865 on: April 18, 2018, 01:57:44 pm »
Y'all ever message someone a sarky 1 liner and get a 6 paragraph essay back in reply?  ;D

Cheers for the laughs Martin.  :wink:
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #4866 on: April 18, 2018, 02:07:17 pm »
I don't think the guy understands how condescending he (basedcowboyshirt) comes across. Or he does and he's just a bit of a knob.

His thing has always been "I just don't understand how ___________ is difficult for you. I've never experienced that. Are you sure that happened to you, because um...ah...like that doesn't sound true at all." Nails on a chalkboard.

Dude seems pretty reasonable to me. He's not saying it didn't happen, he's asking you to consider alternative explanations.

That's the thing with most of the gripers on here- their brain settles on one possibility (usually some variant of "It's the Korean's fault) and then refuse to budge from that possibility and consider that alternative explanations are possible. I don't think any of us deny the possibility that some Korean might have been an asshole to you that time, but what we are asking you to consider is that there are 50 other possibilities besides being an asshole, and usually people fail to consider them. People also leap to the "Because they're Korean!" explanation when one can easily demonstrate how what happens is a human being problem, not a Korean one.

If your Korean genuinely IS good, you won't have a problem. If your Korean friends tell you it's good and then you constantly get people who can't understand you, here's a clue: Your Korean sucks and your friends were trying to be nice to you.

Anyways, everyone is going to fail the first time they try to speak another language. People will laugh or get upset with you. Welcome to being an immigrant. Buck up and do what all those Indian, Chinese, Nigerian, Mexican, Italian, Russian, Korean, etc. people did back home and either practice really hard at it or accept the permanent bad accent you have.

Like seriously, how arrogant do you have to be to believe that after 1-2 years experience, that you will sound like a native speaker and people won't give you a blank stare? 95% of other immigrants to other countries can't pull that off. What makes you think you can? You know all those Pakistanis that immigrated to our countries when they were 14-45 and still speak with a strong accent? Guess what? That's you.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:20:46 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #4867 on: April 18, 2018, 02:07:38 pm »
Y'all ever message someone a sarky 1 liner and get a 6 paragraph essay back in reply?  ;D

Aren't you supposed to be on Step 5?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do

« Reply #4869 on: April 18, 2018, 02:13:55 pm »

You kind of have to post it now, seriously, that is the law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #4870 on: April 18, 2018, 02:16:54 pm »
DeMartino, fighting racist attitudes and summing up with a racist flourish of his own:

You know all those Pakistanis that immigrated to our countries when they were 14-45 and still speak with a bad accent? Guess what? That's you.

Bad accent?  That's not too tolerant or accepting. Strong accent, I get. Distinctive? Sure. But bad? That's a pretty harsh and derogatory comment to direct towards a lot of Pakistanis.  I'm not sure why it's ok to make a sweeping negative stereotype, but no doubt you'll tell me.

« Reply #4871 on: April 18, 2018, 02:19:23 pm »

Go ahead. I don't give a crap.

Avec PMs me out of the blue with some one-liner insult. Fired back with a few sentences as well as a few emojis. Whatever. All in good fun. Then she PMs me again. I'm a loser and blah blah blah. Kids stuff.

Anyways, Avec what happened to your thread where you apologized to everyone? Did you forget the night that caused you to write that already? Antibiotics working so you're good to go out and party again? Come on, go all the way to Step 12. Remember that we deal with alcohol- cunning, baffling, powerful.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #4872 on: April 18, 2018, 02:19:47 pm »

Like seriously, how arrogant do you have to be to believe that after 1-2 years experience, that you will sound like a native speaker and people won't give you a blank stare? 95% of other immigrants to other countries can't pull that off. What makes you think you can? You know all those Pakistanis that immigrated to our countries when they were 14-45 and still speak with a bad accent? Guess what? That's you.

Like seriously, how arrogant do you have to be to expect immigrants to speak your language perfectly? How arrogant do you have to be to shrug off someone's attempts at communication with you because they have a "bad accent?"

Absolutely nobody here is saying they speak perfect, unaccented Korean, because that would be an absurd claim. They're just frustrated that, despite trying, they're still often met with blank stares or derision. They're frustrated that they aren't understood because they have an accent, despite it being perfectly normal for a foreigner to speak a new language with an accent.

« Reply #4873 on: April 18, 2018, 02:20:06 pm »
DeMartino, fighting racist attitudes and summing up with a racist flourish of his own:

You know all those Pakistanis that immigrated to our countries when they were 14-45 and still speak with a bad accent? Guess what? That's you.

Bad accent?  That's not too tolerant or accepting. Strong accent, I get. Distinctive? Sure. But bad? That's a pretty harsh and derogatory comment to direct towards a lot of Pakistanis.  I'm not sure why it's ok to make a sweeping negative stereotype, but no doubt you'll tell me.

You are 100% correct. And now to change that. And my apologies. That was a rude and insensitive way to describe things.

« Reply #4874 on: April 18, 2018, 02:22:23 pm »

Like seriously, how arrogant do you have to be to believe that after 1-2 years experience, that you will sound like a native speaker and people won't give you a blank stare? 95% of other immigrants to other countries can't pull that off. What makes you think you can? You know all those Pakistanis that immigrated to our countries when they were 14-45 and still speak with a bad accent? Guess what? That's you.

Like seriously, how arrogant do you have to be to expect immigrants to speak your language perfectly? How arrogant do you have to be to shrug off someone's attempts at communication with you because they have a "bad accent?"

Absolutely nobody here is saying they speak perfect, unaccented Korean, because that would be an absurd claim. They're just frustrated that, despite trying, they're still often met with blank stares or derision. They're frustrated that they aren't understood because they have an accent, despite it being perfectly normal for a foreigner to speak a new language with an accent.
There might be a few idiots who expect perfection but most don't. Anyways, the point is that this is part of the immigrant experience. People are going to get frustrated. Some might nervously laugh.

Maybe they aren't understood because the person can't understand them.

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #4875 on: April 18, 2018, 02:23:11 pm »
I usually dress professionally.  However, today I threw on a pair of jeans, t-shirt with a graphic, and a cardigan sweater.  Students seldom comment on my clothes.  However, today I got compliments from every class.  Maybe I should go more casual.

« Reply #4876 on: April 18, 2018, 02:24:46 pm »
I usually dress professionally.  However, today I threw on a pair of jeans, t-shirt with a graphic, and a cardigan sweater.  Students seldom comment on my clothes.  However, today I got compliments from every class.  Maybe I should go more casual.

Working Adults or Elementary/Junior/High/College students?

« Reply #4877 on: April 18, 2018, 02:27:00 pm »
Sorry guys. It's against my morals and ethics to share personal messages.

I can tell you that I said he was a corporate shill for the Republic of Samsung and he replied with his typical banter.

All harmless fun.
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #4878 on: April 18, 2018, 02:30:11 pm »

Go ahead. I don't give a crap.

Avec PMs me out of the blue with some one-liner insult. Fired back with a few sentences as well as a few emojis. Whatever. All in good fun. Then she PMs me again. I'm a loser and blah blah blah. Kids stuff.

Anyways, Avec what happened to your thread where you apologized to everyone? Did you forget the night that caused you to write that already? Antibiotics working so you're good to go out and party again? Come on, go all the way to Step 12. Remember that we deal with alcohol- cunning, baffling, powerful.

I've not had a drink in 7 nearly years. That was just banter amigo. Maybe go back to it and reread it.
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #4879 on: April 18, 2018, 02:32:02 pm »

Yeah - dress in whatever's comfortable for you. It's fun to switch it up once in a while. Whenever I wear a fun t-shirt or something, kids usually love it. And whenever I dress slightly more up than usual, they love it, too.

If you work at an elementary school then defo casual it up.
Who is here in 2019?