Read 1012786 times

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4580 on: December 27, 2017, 06:17:55 pm »
Couldn't decide between a macaron ice cream sandwich or a mini ice cream cake (banana chocolate!!), so I did the 'murican thing and got both.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will never understand macaroons.  For what they are, they seem ridiculously expensive here and not really that tasty.  Oops!  Not the best thing to write in Christmas week when people should eat what they want.  Don't press 'post'.

Idiot...

There is a fine difference between a macaron and a macaron ice cream sandwich.  Legitimately. 

Also, the only place I've ever had worthwhile macarons was a place down in Mokpo.  All the fillings were cream cheese based and I've yet to ever have superior. 

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4581 on: December 27, 2017, 06:39:47 pm »
I will never understand macaroons.  For what they are, they seem ridiculously expensive here and not really that tasty. 

I kind of agree -- I'm not really crazy about macarons, either (macaroons are actually something different, but I assume you meant macarons). One of my Korean co-workers likes to give me a box of macarons as a gift and has gifted me with 3 boxes of them (not all at once) in the past couple of years.  I've re-gifted the first two; I just got the 3rd box a couple of days ago, and I'm probably going to re-gift that one to someone else as well.

« Reply #4582 on: December 27, 2017, 07:55:49 pm »
Couldn't decide between a macaron ice cream sandwich or a mini ice cream cake (banana chocolate!!), so I did the 'murican thing and got both.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will never understand macaroons.  For what they are, they seem ridiculously expensive here and not really that tasty.  Oops!  Not the best thing to write in Christmas week when people should eat what they want.  Don't press 'post'.

I think one of the reasons why macarons tend to be on the pricier side is because they're made of almond flour.

Most of the rest comes down to making them. If you're not used to it and don't know how to control the climate of your kitchen, they're kind of a pain in the ass to make properly, at least for the layman. Most of the macarons I've eaten are clearly not made well, usually undercooked to avoid the hollow shell AND lack of chewiness, and not properly stored after the fact to prevent other problems (such as dry brittleness). 

Then pair all of that with the fact that baking is not a thing in Korea, and there you go.

I love macarons, but only when they're made well.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 07:59:28 pm by Chinguetti »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #4583 on: December 27, 2017, 09:03:35 pm »
I will never understand macaroons.  For what they are, they seem ridiculously expensive here and not really that tasty. 

I kind of agree -- I'm not really crazy about macarons, either (macaroons are actually something different, but I assume you meant macarons). One of my Korean co-workers likes to give me a box of macarons as a gift and has gifted me with 3 boxes of them (not all at once) in the past couple of years.  I've re-gifted the first two; I just got the 3rd box a couple of days ago, and I'm probably going to re-gift that one to someone else as well.
Macaroons are delicious too!

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• Korealand
« Reply #4584 on: December 28, 2017, 12:15:58 pm »
Reached that point in class where my brain is melting.

I think the whole class feels similarly-- midterms next week.  :huh:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #4585 on: December 28, 2017, 12:21:21 pm »

Really? Tomorrow is the last day for me then 3 weeks off. Why is yours so late?
The joys of fauxtherhood

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• Korealand
« Reply #4586 on: December 28, 2017, 12:31:11 pm »

Cause I'm a student now lol. Keep up with my life, dammit.

Either way, Dave, either way.  :laugh:

Btw, CO2 found our happy ending.  :-*

On sale at Hi Mart apparently:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #4587 on: December 28, 2017, 12:36:20 pm »

Either way, Dave, either way.  :laugh:

Btw, CO2 found our happy ending.  :-*

On sale at Hi Mart apparently:

You're right, you're a student. Good luck on your tests. I hope you test positive.

Also, I don't want a sale happy ending, I want a genuine one.  :afro:
The joys of fauxtherhood

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• Korealand
« Reply #4588 on: December 28, 2017, 01:04:04 pm »

I understand because I find that after an hour or two of Korean study my head explodes.  When I was sitting my TOPIK test years ago, I was ok for about a couple of hours and then my brain just broke at the beginning of the reading part.  So I copied the Portuguese guy in front of me.   :-[  Erm, don't do that at home, kids!

Made it to the 4th week before my mind started glazing over!  :laugh:
About 3.5 hours of Korean a day (after subtracting break time) plus whatever time I devote to studying outside of class to try and retain what I can; I feel fairly knackered by each day's end and have rediscovered the benefits of napping.

Practicing music and just zoning out for a few hours probably keeps me from losing my mind.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #4589 on: December 28, 2017, 01:42:54 pm »

Made it to the 4th week before my mind started glazing over!  :laugh:
About 3.5 hours of Korean a day (after subtracting break time) plus whatever time I devote to studying outside of class to try and retain what I can; I feel fairly knackered by each day's end and have rediscovered the benefits of napping.

Sounds to me like you're on the verge of breaking through to the part where it sorta comes naturally, and the studying/learning becomes almost passive, like listening to a lecture in your native language.

When I was in the Navy, I studied Arabic at the Defense Language Institute. That was nothing but Arabic classes, eight hours a day, five days a weeks, for 18 months. I can definitely sympathize with reaching the point in language study where your brain just goes "lolnope," but in my experience it came shortly before reaching that "oh okay, I can do this now" level, haha.

Fighting!

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #4590 on: December 28, 2017, 02:48:59 pm »
My plans as soon as I get home.  I think I have the flu.  I visited the school nurse, but I don't have a fever. I hate being sick.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4591 on: December 28, 2017, 06:45:03 pm »
My plans as soon as I get home.  I think I have the flu.  I visited the school nurse, but I don't have a fever. I hate being sick.

The “full burrito”.

Nice.

« Reply #4592 on: December 29, 2017, 08:08:37 am »
Welcome to another Friday, everybody! We made it!

« Reply #4593 on: December 29, 2017, 08:58:17 am »
Welcome to another Friday, everybody! We made it!

The FINAL FRIDAY of 2017! Gonna waste this one just like all the others!

Happy New Year waygook.org!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #4594 on: December 29, 2017, 09:19:13 am »

See you in the year 3000!

I'm actually looking forward to New Year's this time: when the countdown clicks on zero, I'll have just arrived in Thailand! Gonna do some serious hiking and island hopping! Whooooooo!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:21:45 am by kyndo »

« Reply #4595 on: December 29, 2017, 09:20:55 am »

See you in the year 3000!

I'm actually looking forward to New Year's this time: when the countdown clicks on zero, I'll have just arrived in Thailand! Gonna do some serious hiking and island hopping! Whooooooo!

:o No camps? So lucky. Have a good time!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #4596 on: December 29, 2017, 09:22:59 am »
Oh, I have camps, but I've scheduled them for afterwards. Winter camps are so much more bearable with a tan:smiley:

« Reply #4597 on: December 29, 2017, 09:25:03 am »
Oh, I have camps, but I've scheduled them for afterwards. Winter camps are so much more bearable with a tan:smiley:

I am the opposite. I want to get it out of the way. Then all of Feb off :D Vietnam->Cambodia->Thailand hopefully.

« Reply #4598 on: December 29, 2017, 09:26:32 am »
I unloaded all of my uneaten snacks onto the students who come in to clean my classroom everyday. And they were happy to take it all, even the stuff they said was gross (I suspect they plan to make their friends eat them).

Here's to a new year and seeing what new weird food stuffs I end up collecting and sticking under my desk.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #4599 on: December 29, 2017, 09:28:43 am »

I head on vacation this afternoon too! I take off for China > Hong Kong > Japan, then come back for camp, then go on vacation again, then desk warm. :P