Read 1002461 times

• Whatgook
  • Super Waygook

• October 06, 2015, 11:46:12 am
    • Busan, South Korea
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1120 on: July 22, 2016, 03:36:23 pm »
We will be watching The Emperor's New Groove

They call it 'Cuzco'. 쿠즈코

« Reply #1121 on: July 24, 2016, 04:06:48 pm »
Good day to you all. I thought we could have a thread just to jot down weird thoughts and ideas that may occur as the weekend looms and our leashes start straining.

I might as well start with my Eureka moment of 6 minutes ago as I listen to the atrocious sound of young kids learning to play the violin in the next classroom. People in Korea study English like they learn to play the violin. Genius!

Think about it. Nearly half the kids here study the violin. It's reached the point that the Asian kid who plays the violin is a cliché that Ivy League schools discriminate against them. So many people learn the violin yet no one plays it. No one mournfully plays alone on a rainy day. There are no violin stars in Korea. No one has ever made a party check list that goes; soju, pork belly, beer, assorted nuts and Minseok with his fiddle. Yet they are all next door to me destroying my peace with their futile caterwauling.

Hence my link with English education. I reckon the abysmal level of English in Korea despite putting huge amount of brains and effort in studying it is due to different goalposts. Very few people in Korea want to speak English. A handful at most. All of them want to be good at it though.

And so the kids keep running their bows across the strings and I keep showing them where to put their fingers. It's all so wonderfully futile. It's like I'm saddling a cow.

Sorry to hear little kids' fiddling interrupted your peace. The level of obsessiveness Asian culture has about violin or piano or any other classical music instrument is truly staggering. As you pointed out, the result is usually meh especially when you consider the amount of money poured in to the education about it. I think it's not about being really good at music - just look at the horrendous K pop - it's about getting good grades at their music test taken regularly at the schools. The same holds true for English. It's not about being good at it, it's about getting good grades at it.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #1122 on: July 24, 2016, 04:29:04 pm »
Good day to you all. I thought we could have a thread just to jot down weird thoughts and ideas that may occur as the weekend looms and our leashes start straining.

I might as well start with my Eureka moment of 6 minutes ago as I listen to the atrocious sound of young kids learning to play the violin in the next classroom. People in Korea study English like they learn to play the violin. Genius!

Think about it. Nearly half the kids here study the violin. It's reached the point that the Asian kid who plays the violin is a cliché that Ivy League schools discriminate against them. So many people learn the violin yet no one plays it. No one mournfully plays alone on a rainy day. There are no violin stars in Korea. No one has ever made a party check list that goes; soju, pork belly, beer, assorted nuts and Minseok with his fiddle. Yet they are all next door to me destroying my peace with their futile caterwauling.

Hence my link with English education. I reckon the abysmal level of English in Korea despite putting huge amount of brains and effort in studying it is due to different goalposts. Very few people in Korea want to speak English. A handful at most. All of them want to be good at it though.

And so the kids keep running their bows across the strings and I keep showing them where to put their fingers. It's all so wonderfully futile. It's like I'm saddling a cow.

Sorry to hear little kids' fiddling interrupted your peace. The level of obsessiveness Asian culture has about violin or piano or any other classical music instrument is truly staggering. As you pointed out, the result is usually meh especially when you consider the amount of money poured in to the education about it. I think it's not about being really good at music - just look at the horrendous K pop - it's about getting good grades at their music test taken regularly at the schools. The same holds true for English. It's not about being good at it, it's about getting good grades at it.

There are links between being good at math and being good at music.  There is a common aptitude.  Studing music, however, will not raise your math grades, or vis versa, but the tiger moms don't understand that.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:41:04 am by JNM »

• The Arm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2015, 09:15:02 am
« Reply #1123 on: July 28, 2016, 12:00:57 pm »
Does anyone else feel really uncomfortable giving recommendations to Koreans for places to visit in their home country?

It makes me nervous because I don't want to make decisions for someone spending SO much money to travel abroad.  What if they hate the place I recommend  :huh:

« Reply #1124 on: July 28, 2016, 12:10:12 pm »
Does anyone else feel really uncomfortable giving recommendations to Koreans for places to visit in their home country?

It makes me nervous because I don't want to make decisions for someone spending SO much money to travel abroad.  What if they hate the place I recommend  :huh:

I agree. Also, the principal at my last school, although he was very nice to me, called me sometime last year asking me for recommendations for sight-seeing but also what to bring to a city that I had never been to. I explained to him that I had no idea because I had never been, but he insisted I should recommend something anyway since I'm American, so of course I would have at least an idea.........

• twak24
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2011, 08:01:42 pm
« Reply #1125 on: July 29, 2016, 07:05:49 am »
Battle log: Day 1812
After 5 years of inanity, perpetual stress and illness, there are only 5 weeks standing in between me and deliverance. What is the correct expression for "taking a rest"? Will I ever conjugate verbs again while speaking? What does it feel like to sleep in a room that is not also one's kitchen? These questions remain, for now, unanswered.

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #1126 on: July 29, 2016, 08:03:36 am »
Vacation starts tomorrow!   8)

« Reply #1127 on: July 29, 2016, 08:31:17 am »
One week of camp/deskwarming down (well, almost, if I can survive today)..... two to go.

• The Arm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2015, 09:15:02 am
« Reply #1128 on: July 29, 2016, 09:11:42 am »
What is the correct expression for "taking a rest"? Will I ever conjugate verbs again while speaking? What does it feel like to sleep in a room that is not also one's kitchen? These questions remain, for now, unanswered.

Brilliant  :laugh:

« Reply #1129 on: July 29, 2016, 09:52:15 am »

Yeah I have a student who is completely fluent (probably 1 of 5 kids out of 1400...). I can speak to her like I would any native speaker. Yet, somehow her grades aren't good enough to get into an international high school. Her scores aren't necessarily bad, she just hasn't mastered the arcane and purposely confusing grammar points on the English tests. And of course she beats herself up and insults her own English abilities. Breaks my heart.

I can just imagine the droves of "I'm fine thanks and you" students admitted to these schools while she is rejected.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:37:01 am by chupacaubrey »

• FORHAIRkorea
  • Veteran

• March 07, 2016, 10:18:58 am
    • Seoul, Korea
    more
« Reply #1130 on: July 29, 2016, 09:56:41 am »
TGIF!  :police:
DISCLAIMER: I work at a Hair Transplant clinic in Gangnam, Seoul. I am not a doctor, but can provide information by request/PM.

I also love good food!

« Reply #1131 on: July 29, 2016, 12:09:30 pm »
Battle log: Day 1812
After 5 years of inanity, perpetual stress and illness, there are only 5 weeks standing in between me and deliverance. What is the correct expression for "taking a rest"? Will I ever conjugate verbs again while speaking? What does it feel like to sleep in a room that is not also one's kitchen? These questions remain, for now, unanswered.

This spoke to my soul.......

• walrus
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 02:45:36 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #1132 on: July 29, 2016, 02:41:35 pm »
Friday. What a fine day to post a ramble in the "thread for pointless Friday ramblings". Yep, a fine day to post in this thread. Finished the last day, of my first week, of summer camp. Went great. Do the same thing every last day of camp, which is always a Friday and a fine day to post in this thread if i may say so, and that is play floor hockey. The kids love the game so much. Hockey, being the greatest sport on Earth, is pretty hard not to love. Was always my favourite P.E. class back in elementary school north of Toronto. Still an hour to go and i'm getting bored. Phone got soaked walking to work this morning and is completely dead. Hope it works again sometime. No e-mail at school coupled with no phone and i'm feeling pretty isolated here. Watched the last of the DNC speeches just now. Great speeches this week, but I am left a little saddened as it's been too easy for the dems, kinda like shooting fish in a barrel. Ramble over, good weekend all....

« Reply #1133 on: August 05, 2016, 11:12:41 am »
I'm deskwarming and I'm bored! My name's all over these threads today, haha, sorry :P

Real talk though, I finished reading a collection of Korean children's fairy tales I've been working on this past week and now I'm rewarding myself by dicking around on the internet all day.

Last day of desk-warming!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #1134 on: August 05, 2016, 01:03:23 pm »
... I'm rewarding myself by dicking around on the internet all day.

[Takei]
Oh my!
[/Takei]

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #1135 on: August 17, 2016, 03:06:51 pm »
It's not Friday (sorry, Mr. Pink) but I'm curious: Anyone know why the deportation thread was locked? :shocked:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #1136 on: August 17, 2016, 04:19:55 pm »
Accusations of drug smuggling, perhaps?

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #1137 on: August 19, 2016, 09:16:36 am »
Accusations of drug smuggling, perhaps?

Fair enough.  Wish mods would leave some kind of comment or note so we knew exactly what TOS was being violated and could avoid it in the future...  :sad:

« Reply #1138 on: August 19, 2016, 09:22:11 am »
That would be too easy.  Best to keep you on your toes, in a permanent state of fear and uncertainty.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #1139 on: August 19, 2016, 10:31:16 am »
That would be too easy.  Best to keep you on your toes, in a permanent state of fear and uncertainty.
Well, I can't really blame 'em for it. I use that exact methodology for maintaining classroom discipline and it works great!   :police: