Read 2387927 times

• ToilingAjumma
  • Veteran

• September 06, 2022, 09:12:01 pm
    • LargeKoreanCitizenCountry
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #10400 on: September 21, 2022, 10:31:54 am »
Why did Toiling Ajummas post get deleted? That was a banger

I deleted it........ lol Don't wanna be too much in a forum for teachers.  :laugh:

Should I say it again?

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• August 05, 2022, 12:15:38 am
    • Jeolla
« Reply #10401 on: September 21, 2022, 11:05:42 am »
He asked for one. I gave it to him. He said it was the wrong one. I got hauled into the principal's office. She said I had violated the.......... rules.

Ohhhhhh...do tell.

Leather and lace?  Whistling in the principal's wheat-field?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 11:37:49 am by Spliced »

« Reply #10402 on: September 23, 2022, 10:36:45 am »
School hasn't started using the heaters yet, but they've stopped using the A/Cs. Which is fine, the weather is cool enough now.

But then they refuse to open the windows after the kids get back from P.E., and I can literally taste the evaporated sweat in the air. So gross.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #10403 on: September 23, 2022, 10:41:21 am »
Open the windows. Say itís to protect again Covid. There are guidelines that say to open windows at least a third for air circulation. Good for reducing VOCs, too.

« Reply #10404 on: September 23, 2022, 10:42:46 am »
I tried to, but some students complained about being cold, so that meant we all had to suffer.  :laugh:

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #10405 on: September 23, 2022, 11:00:46 am »
Cold exposure is healthy. It leads to the body building more mitochondria. And now is too cold? Itís 76F / 24C.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 11:03:10 am by L I »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10406 on: September 23, 2022, 11:19:54 am »
Cold exposure is healthy. It leads to the body building more mitochondria. And now is too cold? Itís 76F / 24C.
Yep.

As an aside, technically speaking, because mitochondria have a separate and unique DNA and can arguably be considered as separate organisms from yourself, it might be more accurate to say that cold weather leads to mitochondria reproducing themselves at a greater rate.
From what I've read, there's a tiny bit of disagreement out there about whether they should be considered as cellular organelles or as endosymbionts (although the vast majority would, of course, consider them the former).

Also, the highest increases in mitochondria are with exercise and cold exposure combined. Each on its own is not nearly as effective in increasing rate of mitochondrial reproduction.
I remember having to read an article very similar to this one back in uni that talked about that link in kinesiology class.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5545200/
 :smiley:

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #10407 on: September 23, 2022, 11:20:07 am »
And now is too cold? Itís 76F / 24C.
It's 27 c in Jinju right now.

The hottest day in Vancouver, Canada in the summer was no higher than 27 twice the last decade.

I personally start sweating at 24 C.

Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• ToilingAjumma
  • Veteran

• September 06, 2022, 09:12:01 pm
    • LargeKoreanCitizenCountry
« Reply #10408 on: September 23, 2022, 11:21:16 am »
Jack White is coming to Seoul and I got a ticket!!!!!!!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-*

He's hot with blue hair too. lol

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #10409 on: September 23, 2022, 11:34:14 am »
Also, the highest increases in mitochondria are with exercise and cold exposure combined.

Cold exposure after PE class, thatís perfect!

« Reply #10410 on: September 23, 2022, 11:50:26 am »
Lol Kyndo trying to talk like he's smart, midi-chlorians really? Star Wars isn't real no matter how much you want it to be.

« Reply #10411 on: September 23, 2022, 11:53:26 am »

Whenever there's a drop in temp, even if it's still warm outside, there are kids who'll say it's cold. They get acclimated to the temps from before and don't handle the drop very well.

Nevermind that they'll acclimate to the new temps if they just allow themselves to, but whatever. We've got some crazy parents who'll go off on us if we let their precious kids get too cold because THAT will make them sick and we should be ashamed for endangering their babies.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #10412 on: September 23, 2022, 12:18:29 pm »
Sight temperature discomfort actually boosts oneís immune system the long run. Itís like how exercise is beneficial.

« Reply #10413 on: September 23, 2022, 12:25:10 pm »
I agree with you, but there's no point in arguing about it with my coteachers and students, lol. It's about what they think and how they feel and whatever stupid thing is going on behind closed doors between the admin and parents. I've just got to deal.

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #10414 on: September 23, 2022, 12:28:46 pm »

From what I've read, there's a tiny bit of disagreement out there about whether they should be considered as cellular organelles or as endosymbionts (although the vast majority would, of course, consider them the former).

That's a bit of an understatement, wouldn't you say?  I can't count how many fights have broken out over last call over that same argument. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10415 on: September 23, 2022, 12:50:56 pm »
That's a bit of an understatement, wouldn't you say?  I can't count how many fights have broken out over last call over that same argument.
I know right?  :wink:
Know your audience and the dumbest things can become hooks for a good argument!

I've seen (moderately inebriated) ESL teachers get into a semi-serious fistfight over the better pronunciation of the word "vase".
Not the *correct* pronunciation, mind you: we all know that both are correct. The *better* way of pronouncing it.  :rolleyes:

I'm pretty good at adjusting my English to match my company but after realizing how little it takes to provoke ESLers, I have to admit that using non-standard (but technically correct) grammar and pronunciation at dinners and stuff has become a real hobby of mine. Usually nobody bites, but very occasionally it's good for a half hour of sitting back and enjoying the arguments.   :smiley:

Lol Kyndo trying to talk like he's smart, midi-chlorians really? Star Wars isn't real no matter how much you want it to be.
Are you implying that mini-chorizo *isn't* delicious on crackers?  >:(

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 12:55:32 pm by Kyndo »

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #10416 on: September 23, 2022, 01:55:39 pm »
I baked a cake yesterday. Brought it in for the teachers today.  Overwhelming success.

Apple Cinnamon cake
2 cups flour
2 apples, chopped
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup walnuts, chopped
3 medium eggs
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

mix eggs and oil, add cinnamon sugars and vanilla. mix thoroughly
add flour, baking soda and powder, and salt, mix.
add chopped apples and walnuts, mix
pour into greased 9x9 inch pan.
bake 45-55 mins or until a chopstick comes out clean when inserted into the center

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #10417 on: September 23, 2022, 02:05:08 pm »

I thought it was widely accepted that they are endosymbionts? Has something changed in the past decade? Unless by the vast majority you meant from an ignorance angle rather than a point of contention.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10418 on: September 23, 2022, 02:49:45 pm »
I thought it was widely accepted that they are endosymbionts? Has something changed in the past decade? Unless by the vast majority you meant from an ignorance angle rather than a point of contention.
I think that everybody agrees that they were *originally*endosymbionts, but these days, most people consider them to currently be cellular organelles.
The distinction between the two is the percentage of, say, mitochondrial proteins that is coded locally, vs how much is coded in the host cell's nuclear DNA. Mitochondrial DNA doesn't contain the complete set of genes necessary to produce more mitochondria.

The minority opinion is that the cut off shouldn't be an all or nothing thing.

The minority minority opinion is that we should be nice to our mitochondria lest they rise up and enslave us.

:shocked:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 02:54:58 pm by Kyndo »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #10419 on: September 23, 2022, 07:57:22 pm »
2 apples, chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
F the SOS (SUGAR, OIL, SALT) and the refined flour (your body receives it as pure sugar).

Imagine a dish of chopped apples, chopped walnuts, a sprinkling of cinnamon and a spoon of vanilla. THAT would be healthy AND. . it sounds tasty to me.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.