Read 582 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Chinese citizens will soon need to scan their faces
« on: October 10, 2019, 07:13:48 pm »
Things are getting hectic there now. I feel so sad for the common Chinese citizen, they are good people.

The CP is getting completely paranoid.

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/china-to-require-facial-id-for-internet-and-mobile-services-2019-10
Chinese citizens will soon need to scan their face before they can access internet services or get a new phone number

China's 854 million internet users will soon need to use facial identification in order to apply for new internet or mobile services.
The Chinese government announced last month that telecommunications companies will need to scan users' faces in order to verify their identities before they can access new services.
The new rule will apply from December 1.
The new legislation is part of China's wider efforts to keep close tabs on its citizens and monitor their activities and behaviours.
For more stories, go to Business Insider SA.
Chinese citizens will soon have to start using facial identification in order to sign up for internet services or get a new mobile number.

The Chinese government announced last month that residents applying for a new mobile or internet device will have their faces scanned by telecommunications carriers. The new rules will apply from December 1.

China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT), which is the state agency responsible for internet and technology regulation, wrote that the decision was part of its moves to "safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of citizens in the cyberspace" and prevent fraud, according to Quartz.

Recent reports indicate that China has around 854 million internet users.

The new legislation will also ban residents from transferring their mobile numbers to other people. According to Quartz, China appears to be the first country to require facial ID to sign up for mobile and internet services.

The new legislation is part of China's wider efforts to keep close tabs on its citizens and monitor their activities and behaviours.

A promotional video shows an actor wearing LLVision live facial recognition smart glasses during a demonstration at the company's office in Beijing, China February 28, 2018.

Last month Chinese state media announced the development of a new "super camera," and artificial intelligence-driven 500-megapixel camera capable of identifying individual faces in crowds of tens of thousands of people in "perfect detail." State media said the device, which is five times more powerful than the human eye, could have "military, national defence and public security applications."

China last year also said it developed a new surveillance camera which could identify users based on their walking style and silhouette. The "gait recognition" technology has reportedly already been rolled out in several Chinese cities, including Beijing and Shanghai.

Chinese censorship and monitoring has soared under Chinese President Xi Jinping, and thousands of new censorship and surveillance initiatives have been issued every year.

In 2014, the Xi's government announced plans for its "social credit system," a vast, mandatory ranking system of all of its 1.4 billion citizens. According to China, the ranking system seeks to reinforce the notion that "keeping trust is glorious and breaking trust is disgraceful."

The plan, which has already been implemented in some cities, will be fully implemented in 2020. Blocking the sidewalk, jaywalking, fare evasion, and even loitering can lower your social credit score. Punishments for maintaining a low social credit score include being banned from taking trains, having your internet speed cut, and being publicly shamed.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
Re: Chinese citizens will soon need to scan their faces
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 07:47:03 pm »
Not too long ago the Chinese people effectively agreed to give away their freedoms in exchange for wealth. A really stupid tariff discount by the Clinton administration was pretty much the sole reason that China's economy skyrocketed, at the expense of everyone else.  The party is over and the CCP knows all too well that China's economic model is not sustainable. With the Trade War, low birth rate, housing bubble, situation in HK and a thousand other factors, the economy is about to tank... BIG TIME!

When the wealth dries up, fear will be the only thing keeping the CCP in power... for a while.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 07:13:47 am »
Not too long ago the Chinese people effectively agreed to give away their freedoms in exchange for wealth. A really stupid tariff discount by the Clinton administration was pretty much the sole reason that China's economy skyrocketed, at the expense of everyone else.  The party is over and the CCP knows all too well that China's economic model is not sustainable. With the Trade War, low birth rate, housing bubble, situation in HK and a thousand other factors, the economy is about to tank... BIG TIME!

When the wealth dries up, fear will be the only thing keeping the CCP in power... for a while.

I agree, and let's hope that this is the beginning of the end of the CCP and that democracy will soon happen.

Problem is that Chinese people are very passive.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 07:47:30 am »

I agree, and let's hope that this is the beginning of the end of the CCP and that democracy will soon happen.

Which race of people do you think is aggressive?

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 08:22:15 am »

Obviously he meant passivity as a counterpoint to being autonomously active. So either you're really dumb or you're straight up trying to twist the narrative. Which one is it?

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 08:35:01 am »

Obviously he meant passivity as a counterpoint to being autonomously active. So either you're really dumb or you're straight up trying to twist the narrative. Which one is it?

no. it's the whites

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 08:49:12 am »

You're the first person to mention race. Mainland China, while a mix of hundreds of different ethnic Chinese groups, is still a very homogenous society with very, very old and rigid cultural values and norms, particularly as these groups RARELY mix; Han Chinese from the mainland will rarely marry a non-Han Chinese. A huge part of their culture is to be submissive to authority and not to upset social harmony.

The Tiananmen Square Massacre was testament that, despite all this, mainlanders were willing to go against thousands of years of cultural norms and protest for a Democratic society, it was completely unprecedented.

Still, it's completely fair describe mainland Chinese society as generally being passive and submissive to authority. We're talking about History and culture, not racism.     

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 12:26:05 pm »

I really meant indoctrinated. But as been said, they are used to centuries of being dominated by whoever rules. This was told to me by a liberal Chinese man. He didn't hold out much hope of any sort of resistance from them.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 12:40:53 pm »
And to think it all started with a lightning strike that burned down the Forbidden City in the early 1400's.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 02:59:56 pm »
You guys joking? Just love how you think culture, and race, and whatever is the reason for China being ruled by the CCP. There have been numerous times they, the people that have inhabited present day China, have rebelled against whomever was in power. There was the KMT, if it weren't for them doing the bulk of the fighting against the Japanese, perhaps they could have held on to power, And in the process defeated the CCP army. Sure, then China would have followed a similar path as Taiwan, or South Korea, with some period of dictatorship. I do believe China, if given a good opportunity, will become a pretty dynamic democracy one day like Taiwan, or South Korea, now. And even if somehow the CCP was toppled, democracy won't come overnight, it'll be a multi-generational process. Otherwise, you'll get a situation like Russia.

There needs to be some kind of catalyst. Hence the reason they are very touchy about the current situation in Hong Kong now. Something needs to happen in the mainland, like in Shanghai, for something bigger to happen.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:19:30 pm by thunderlips »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 08:01:57 am »
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3793827

Bravo for Prague, they certainly have a pair.  Now the rest of the world must follow suit and hopefully it will be the end of the evil CCP and ultimately democracy will follow albeit slow and free the Chinese people from their tyranny.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 08:02:06 pm »
And to think it all started with a lightning strike that burned down the Forbidden City in the early 1400's.
Funny you should mention that- before I came to Korea I was working for Western Union. One of my jobs was I had to deliver a package to a place called Hill Valley California at a specific time to some guy. Now this was strange because we normally don't do delivery, but this was a special case. I remember this because  the package was from some Chinese restaurant called Bianyifang, which my boss told me had been in existence since the 1400s and that the company had had the package since before the turn of the century.. Anyways I drop off the package in the pouring to some short kid and he pulls out this Chinese woodcut print. It showed a lightning strike and a fire. Then he points to this one wild looking guy with white hair in the woodcut print and starts screaming "It's the Doc, it's the Doc!" Dude sounded like he needed a Doc himself if you ask me. Anyways, he didn't even tip. Oh well, at least the town had a decent diner. Rest of the town smelled like manure though.

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 10:00:23 pm »
Funny you should mention that- before I came to Korea I was working for Western Union. One of my jobs was I had to deliver a package to a place called Hill Valley California at a specific time to some guy. Now this was strange because we normally don't do delivery, but this was a special case. I remember this because  the package was from some Chinese restaurant called Bianyifang, which my boss told me had been in existence since the 1400s and that the company had had the package since before the turn of the century.. Anyways I drop off the package in the pouring to some short kid and he pulls out this Chinese woodcut print. It showed a lightning strike and a fire. Then he points to this one wild looking guy with white hair in the woodcut print and starts screaming "It's the Doc, it's the Doc!" Dude sounded like he needed a Doc himself if you ask me. Anyways, he didn't even tip. Oh well, at least the town had a decent diner. Rest of the town smelled like manure though.
Is that a Back To The Future reference?

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 01:58:52 pm »
1984.  In China, the government will control you with this along with social credit scores.  In the west, they want to get big companies to do it for being online, having a job, etc.  If western nations are smart, citizens from the right and left will demand constitutional amendments banning this from the government or from private companies and to bar companies from this to give you a job (including being allowed access to your social media accounts).