soju too :)
opaque bag applies too

• fatboy
  • Adventurer

• May 11, 2010, 07:55:58 am
    • South Korea
Re: Alcohol banned at GEPIK orientation
« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2011, 08:26:10 am »
A lot of the new recruits will be fresh out of uni and still in the student mindset. Of course they're going to want to get plastered when they are all put together for 5 days. Those orientations are 90% pointless and could be done in 1-2 days max. I've been to two orientations (1 GEPIK and 1 SMOE), and they were both just a week of mind-numbing lectures by day, and boozing by night. Both times the food was awful, so not allowing people to go outside is harsh.
They really should cut the crap out of the orientations and make it a one-night deal.

• Burndog
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2010, 11:49:17 am
    • Suwon
« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2011, 08:38:21 am »
Well...they've cut it down from a full week the first time I did one to two nights...so that's a good start isn't it?  For me, the main thing that I got out of Orientation was friends...and if we had only been there for one night, I don't think those friendships would have been forged...but that's just me.

This thread is like M.A.S.H...it's lasted longer than the battle that it's about!!!

« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2011, 09:28:50 am »
Yea, the food was less than great; especially breakfast.

Cold sausage, cold eggs, cold french toast.  The stuff wasn't even the slightest bit warm.

and one key to a room was fun.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• w4z
  • Veteran

• November 30, 2010, 10:12:55 am
    • USA
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2011, 09:35:18 am »
2nd day there was no food for the vegetarians  to eat for dinner besides white rice.  (there were quite a few of us there)

The coordinator told us to buy groceries and make our own food...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:42:44 am by w4z »

• James_Duffy
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2011, 08:34:52 am
    • Seoul, Anyang, Korea
« Reply #225 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:11 am »
All the more reason to allow alcohol.

Allow us responsible ones to have a pleasant time and weed out the irresponsible ones (under penalty of firing).
Exactly, just be strict and release anyone who acts inappropriate. Simply as that. Not a big deal.
Also must add, top marks for the food and the rooms.

• rach.m
  • Waygookin

• March 18, 2011, 07:27:24 pm
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #226 on: May 02, 2011, 10:40:46 am »
Ive just had my orientation, there was only about 30 of us, so relatively small. Although we werent allowed to drink on the premises we could go out in the evening and have a drink. The only time we were told to not drink under any circumstances was the day before we were meeting our co teachers...

• Swillow
  • Explorer

• February 16, 2011, 12:35:51 pm
    • ansan
« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2011, 10:51:40 am »
Most people could go without drinking (give or take) - but absolute prohibition just drives people under the psyche of rebellion. I don't feel an ultimate ban is the way forward, but i understand that some rules should be in place after all the nightmare experiences that have happened before.

The ones who get trashed just ruin it for everyone  :( The recent orientation i was one had a few birthdays - and they were disallowed alc.

• suigeneris
  • Adventurer

• April 11, 2011, 10:36:41 am
    • Uijeongbu, South Korea
« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2011, 10:59:16 am »
In my experience, principals pretty much force you to drink at school dinners and get-togethers so it sure would be weird if they fired someone for drinking at orientation, after training, at the end of the day when we're meant to socialize. 

• phathank
  • Waygookin

• April 28, 2011, 01:21:27 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2011, 06:31:01 pm »
Personally, I was glad of the alcohol ban and glad of the curfew. I would undoubtedly have stayed out later and drank more if neither of these had been in effect, and wouldn't have got so much out of the presentations and classes, which were, on the whole, excellent. Also, there were clearly a few idiots on the orientation and if they'd been allowed to drink more/come in later, would have annoyed people a whole lot more.

• piccoloso
  • Explorer

• November 12, 2010, 08:35:28 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #230 on: May 10, 2011, 07:20:59 pm »
I personally think that the no alcohol policy is decent. However, I found this news laughable seeing how at my particular MOE orientation, we had a presenter actually bring in bottles of soju for us to practice drinking etiquette.

• lisafoca
  • Explorer

• May 10, 2011, 07:05:13 pm
    • uiryeong
« Reply #231 on: May 10, 2011, 07:57:41 pm »
hey,
Im new in Uiryeong, Gyeongnam! does anyone know when is the next orientation? i would like to meet more people and share. :)

« Reply #232 on: May 11, 2011, 12:45:54 pm »
I was at the last orientation and they made a huge deal about how we could drink a couple of beers after 9pm in the garden/convenience store area...but we had to be in bed by 10 (in our own rooms), and no drinking was to be allowed after that. I thought it was a little ridiculous. Some of us went out to the field to drink and talk but it was freezing and we were afraid they would lock us out, so we went to 1 room. Of course 20 people in 1 room can be a little noisy but it wasn't bad and yet we were yelled at and she looked soooo mad and disappointed by the constant "failure" of the foreigners. I just think it is so hypocritical when our school hands out drinks DURING SCHOOL AFTERNOONS right after the children leave. And then the drunken faculty dinners where I am harassed openly by at least 2 of the older male teachers after they drink too much and get pissed if I don't drink with them. Gee, force me to drink when I don't want to because it's YOUR CULTURE and I have to respect that, but don't let the foreigners have some drinks and mingle with each other/get to know each other when they want to. Let's not respect WESTERN CULTURE. It's ridiculous but there isn't anything you can really do about it. Go, try to have a good time, and be thankful that western culture has progressed past this phase. I certainly appreciate a lot more about the US since I've been in Korea.  You ever see how the block out smoking on movies? It's funny since I've met more smokers in Korea than back home!

Was gonna leave this thread alone, but since it just won't die, figure I may as well speak out.  Not gonna say I'm necessarily a proponent of the new rules, but really, I've been at orientations and job trips back in the states where drinking rules were much more strict.  As in: people got caught drinking and being up past curfew and got let go.  Rather than  finding 20 people in one small room drinking and being given the equivalent of a slap on the wrist.  Of course she looked disappointed: you guys did something directly opposing the rules you were given, and it probably reflected badly on her.  I really don't see how those rules are reflective of Korean culture...I mean yeah, you don't like those rules, but one organization having a few rules about curfew and drinking during training time is NOT a portrayal of an entire culture,

Also, you can always say "no" to drinking at school.  I'm sure you were told about either offering other people to pour you water, or just pretending to sip the soju.

No, literally, if I ask to have water or not drink they get mad, say something in Korean under their breath and walk away. I have mastered the throw the soju shot into my glass of water while they have their heads back with their shot, but I was told by my co-teacher, that if I was caught doing that, it would be even more disrespectful than telling them 'no.' I guess all-in-all, it doesn't bother me too much and I'm not even a very big drinker, I just get upset when they are so hypocritical.  So many of the faculty get drunk, some puke, and make asses of themselves and even harass me in an inappropriate way (these are mostly male teachers from my school, the female teachers have started protecting me from them at dinners), and this behavior is looked over the next day....nothing is said to them. Drinking is a huge part of their culture and they told me, you never bring up what a person did when they were drunk...because they were drunk. You drink, act dumb, go to work the next day, and move on.  Where, in America, if you acted like that in front of your boss or harassed your co-workers, it would certainly be brought up the next day and you would be judged for it.  So basically, they are judging the foreigners when it comes to drinking but they do not hold their Korean faculty to the same standard. That's what makes me upset.  And even if I don't drink, I don't like being told what to do in my spare time (this was after payment hours.)
Besides Korea, I have only worked at one other company who 'didn't trust' their employees and I couldn't work there very long. I think big kid jobs should come with big kid ideas, like, do your work, do a good job, and then do whatever in your spare time as long as I see you tomorrow for the same awesome work.  Some jobs even let you leave...just leave if you are on salary and you have everything done, as long as you keep your phone with you. I know these are some privileged positions but the concept is nice. Why sit around and do nothing? You should be rewarded for working hard all day, not locked up in a room like a child being disciplined.  I could never be on a sports team. 

• adrian_s
  • Waygookin

• November 09, 2010, 07:19:57 am
    • Busan
« Reply #233 on: May 11, 2011, 01:24:40 pm »
foreigners getting drunk? you dont say...they should ban alcohol at EPIK orientation too.

• snafuman
  • Adventurer

• March 31, 2011, 05:22:44 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2011, 06:16:44 am »
At the GEPIK Anseong orientation location there was a convenience store that sold any kind of alcohol you could imagine and the GEPIK coordinators would drink there well into the night.

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2011, 08:59:19 am »
I was at the last orientation and they made a huge deal about how we could drink a couple of beers after 9pm in the garden/convenience store area...but we had to be in bed by 10 (in our own rooms), and no drinking was to be allowed after that. I thought it was a little ridiculous. Some of us went out to the field to drink and talk but it was freezing and we were afraid they would lock us out, so we went to 1 room. Of course 20 people in 1 room can be a little noisy but it wasn't bad and yet we were yelled at and she looked soooo mad and disappointed by the constant "failure" of the foreigners. I just think it is so hypocritical when our school hands out drinks DURING SCHOOL AFTERNOONS right after the children leave. And then the drunken faculty dinners where I am harassed openly by at least 2 of the older male teachers after they drink too much and get pissed if I don't drink with them. Gee, force me to drink when I don't want to because it's YOUR CULTURE and I have to respect that, but don't let the foreigners have some drinks and mingle with each other/get to know each other when they want to. Let's not respect WESTERN CULTURE. It's ridiculous but there isn't anything you can really do about it. Go, try to have a good time, and be thankful that western culture has progressed past this phase. I certainly appreciate a lot more about the US since I've been in Korea.  You ever see how the block out smoking on movies? It's funny since I've met more smokers in Korea than back home!

Was gonna leave this thread alone, but since it just won't die, figure I may as well speak out.  Not gonna say I'm necessarily a proponent of the new rules, but really, I've been at orientations and job trips back in the states where drinking rules were much more strict.  As in: people got caught drinking and being up past curfew and got let go.  Rather than  finding 20 people in one small room drinking and being given the equivalent of a slap on the wrist.  Of course she looked disappointed: you guys did something directly opposing the rules you were given, and it probably reflected badly on her.  I really don't see how those rules are reflective of Korean culture...I mean yeah, you don't like those rules, but one organization having a few rules about curfew and drinking during training time is NOT a portrayal of an entire culture,

Also, you can always say "no" to drinking at school.  I'm sure you were told about either offering other people to pour you water, or just pretending to sip the soju.

No, literally, if I ask to have water or not drink they get mad, say something in Korean under their breath and walk away. I have mastered the throw the soju shot into my glass of water while they have their heads back with their shot, but I was told by my co-teacher, that if I was caught doing that, it would be even more disrespectful than telling them 'no.' I guess all-in-all, it doesn't bother me too much and I'm not even a very big drinker, I just get upset when they are so hypocritical.  So many of the faculty get drunk, some puke, and make asses of themselves and even harass me in an inappropriate way (these are mostly male teachers from my school, the female teachers have started protecting me from them at dinners), and this behavior is looked over the next day....nothing is said to them. Drinking is a huge part of their culture and they told me, you never bring up what a person did when they were drunk...because they were drunk. You drink, act dumb, go to work the next day, and move on.  Where, in America, if you acted like that in front of your boss or harassed your co-workers, it would certainly be brought up the next day and you would be judged for it.  So basically, they are judging the foreigners when it comes to drinking but they do not hold their Korean faculty to the same standard. That's what makes me upset.  And even if I don't drink, I don't like being told what to do in my spare time (this was after payment hours.)
Besides Korea, I have only worked at one other company who 'didn't trust' their employees and I couldn't work there very long. I think big kid jobs should come with big kid ideas, like, do your work, do a good job, and then do whatever in your spare time as long as I see you tomorrow for the same awesome work.  Some jobs even let you leave...just leave if you are on salary and you have everything done, as long as you keep your phone with you. I know these are some privileged positions but the concept is nice. Why sit around and do nothing? You should be rewarded for working hard all day, not locked up in a room like a child being disciplined.  I could never be on a sports team.

I think that you are missing a bit of the culture in the reason why. The dinners that you are talking about are for the teachers to get to know and trust each other. There is a lot of culture behind the meetings and it goes far deeper than just putting back a shot of soju. A lot has to do with manners and status.

The drinking ban at GEPIK and the rules that they enforce as many others have said, are there because others have broken them in the past. Korea is a very knee-jerk society when it comes to certain issues. Many rules (especially dealing with foreigners) have been slapped down to curtail things like drugs and drinking. Little thought goes into how it reflects on Korean drinking culture because they don't see it as the same thing. They are simply addressing the issue of foreigners drinking too much at the training session, causing problems, and not showing up for their required training.

Furthermore, there is also the point of "Who says it's okay to drink" Most of the time when you drink with the school it is because the Principle says that it is okay. Most of the time when foreigners drink we do it on our own and it simply doesn't jive well with the higher ups. A lot of these problems come from those negative stories that circulate around the offices when one foreigner screws up. It is just how things work here.

You can't judge Korea especially in this case by the standards that you have accepted from abroad. There is no logic in this, it is just simply how problems are solved. Had the foreigners in the past been a little more respectful of the rules back then I feel that they wouldn't be as strict now.

Also, 20 people in a dorm room is a party by my standards. I can see why they would be sort of upset. I know maybe it was a quiet party by your standards but if it was enough for them to come and yell at you, I am sure it was pretty bad.

As for the drinking and refusal, there is no problem. I don't drink at school dinners and they know this. I am not trying to win over anyone, I just politely say that I can't and they leave me alone. In my 8 years here, there has never been an issue and I have even refused the Vice-Mayor on my city at a business lunch. They don't hold grudges if you are polite. Just offer to pour them one, many times that is simply what they are are looking for, a simple gesture to assert their status.

« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2011, 09:31:09 am »
When will this thread die?  Can we lock it now? (coming from the OP)
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Burndog
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2010, 11:49:17 am
    • Suwon
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2011, 09:32:00 am »
So basically, they are judging the foreigners when it comes to drinking but they do not hold their Korean faculty to the same standard. That's what makes me upset.  And even if I don't drink, I don't like being told what to do in my spare time (this was after payment hours.)

Actually...no.  I covered this earlier in this thread...but this has nothing to do with trust, and everything to do with use and abuse of taxpayers money.  A reporter wrote about how much drinking and carry on there was at an Orientation last year...and the story was framed as a "the GPOE wastes your money paying people to party" kind of story.  From there the GPOE told GEPIK they had two options...no drinking at Orientation...or no Orientation.  We need to remember that we are on the public purse...if people (in any country) think that their tax money is being squandered...they will get pissy.  That's what happened.  It's not about whether they trust us or not.  It's about the media, and who pays our wages.

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2011, 10:05:34 am »
Thread is now locked at the request of the OP.