Read 3405 times

Brighton Language Academy (JEONGSANG LANGUAGE SCHOOL)
« on: June 24, 2015, 11:08:15 am »
Hello All!

I have another contract for review.  Thank you so much for your imput in advance! I got a good impression from my interview, but obviously that doesn't mean a whole lot when it come to hagwons sometimes.  The one thing that obviously stands out to me about this contract is the vacation--7 total days for the year and only 7 national holidays? I was told it would be the standard 10 vacation days plus all national holidays.  Also, the potential for shared housing.

Does anyone know anything about this particular hagwon?

BRIGHTON LANGUAGE SCHOOL
EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT FOR TEACHER

This EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT has been made on this day, ______________, between JEONGSANG LANGUAGE SCHOOL (hereinafter referred to as the “Employer” and ___________________ ____a citizen of ________________, passport no.: ___________________ __ (hereinafter referred to as the “Employee”). The Employee is hereby hired by the Employer and both parties agree on the following terms and conditions:

I.   Period of Employment
A. The total agreement term is ( 12 ) months, commencing from the day of Session (                  ) and finishing on the last day of the last month (the last day of the twelfth teaching session).
Contract period (                                    )
B. The Employee will discontinue residence in Korea under the visa status sponsored by the Employer upon the completion of this contract unless both parties agree to renew the contract.

II.   Conditions of Employment
1.   Employee’s Duties
During the term of this Agreement the Employee will perform the following duties:
1.1   EFL instruction in any phase of the Institute’s program (Preschool, Kindergarten, Elementary, Middle School students).
1.2   Curriculum design and implementation.
1.3   Classroom preparation (60 minutes prior to the first class).
1.4   Submitting lesson plans for each class.
1.5   Extracurricular activities for/with students when needed.
1.6   Grading, evaluating and counseling of students.
1.7   Attendance at teacher’s meetings and workshops.
1.8   Cooperation with the Director in all aspects of employment.
1.9   Other related activities.

2.   Working Hours

2.1   Classes will be held from Monday to Friday except for scheduled public holidays and vacation days.
2.2   The Employee will be required to work at the times the Employer shall direct.
2.3   Working hours may be modified from time to time at the sole discretion of the Employer depending on a session and needs of the Institute.
2.4   Some events including sports day, talent show, or graduation day may be scheduled on Saturdays up to three (3) times per year with mandatory participation and a working bonus.
2.5   The employee will be required to supervise daily kindergarten snack time and monthly kindergarten field trip lunch time with no pay.
2.6   Teachers may have 40 minute breaks in the block schedules, as teachers are exempt from attending extracurricular activities with students (i.e. ballet, cello, gym, leadership, Korean music).

3.   Salary and Overtime

3.1   The Employee will be guaranteed ( 2.2  ) Million Won per month (before tax) for teaching (100) hours or (140) classes per monthly session (1 class is 40 min.). This is to be considered as the Employee’s contract hours. 
3.2   The salary will be paid on the 14th day of each teaching monthly session.
3.3   The first salary will be paid on the second 14th following beginning employment.
3.4   In certain instances, Employee may be required to cover a class for a colleague, due to illness, etc.  Employer may reserve the right to ask Employee to cover these classes if the Employee has a break during his/her block schedule, with mandatory participation.
3.5   Only the time worked in excess of contract hours will be considered as overtime. The Employee’s overtime pay will be (20,000) Won per (40) minutes. 
3.6   Employee will receive three 3 days paid sick days for the year.  If these days are not used, employee will receive credit for them after contract is finished.

4.   Benefits

4.1   Housing
The Employer will select and provide free furnished living accommodations for the Employee located within 15-20 minute walk distance from the Institute. The accommodations will be a studio apartment (one (1) bedroom apartment for a couple).  The Employer will also provide furnishings including: bed, table, chairs, two-burner gas hot plate, refrigerator, wardrobe, washing machine, TV, VCR.. The costs of all utilities (gas, water, electricity, cable TV, telephone charges) and a monthly apartment maintenance fee will have to be paid by the Employee. In the case of shared accommodation, the costs will be divided between the housemates.

4.2   Vacation, Holidays and Emergency Leave
The Employee will have short-term breaks between sessions as determined by the Employer (in total approximately 7days). The Employee will have public holidays detailed in a yearly calendar (in total approximately 7 days).

4.3   Health Insurance
The Employee will be provided with health insurance coverage from the designated health insurance corporation with 50% of the premium paid by the Employer and 50% by the Employee.

4.4   Accident Compensation
In the event that the employee sustains injuries from an accident or mishap which occurs outside the course of normal work duties, the Employee understands and agrees that the Employer will have no responsibility for, nor obligation to pay, medical and hospital costs which are in excess of those covered by the medical insurance.

4.5   Transportation
The employer will purchase for the Employee a one-way economy class air ticket to Korea from an international airport in the country /city where the Employee resides or where the Employer and the Employee mutually agree to. After completing a one-year contract, the Employee will be provided with a return economy class air ticket to the point of departure. In the event that the Employee continues employment under a subsequent employment agreement with the Employer, the return air ticket will be provided at the time of completion of the subsequent contract period(s).  When the Employee needs to make a visa trip, the employee will get paid based on a one-day visa trip.

III.   Taxes and Other Deductions

The following taxes and deductions will be withheld from the Employee’s monthly salary:
1.   Income tax (3.3%);
2.   Health Insurance (about 2.155%)

IV.   Employee’s Conduct and Dress Code

1.   During the term of this Agreement, the Employee is expected to conduct himself/herself in a professional manner that would project a good image of the Institute.  The following forms of behavior will NOT be permitted:
(1)   Coming to the Institute and conducting class under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs;
(2)   Conducting class while smoking and smoking inside the Institute;
(3)   Making sexual advances towards or entering into relationships with  students;
(4)   Using bad language in class and in the Institute that would offend or discredit students, the staff, and the Institute;
(5)   Not following scheduled class timetables, canceling, starting classes late without the prior approval of the academic director.
2.   The Employee should present himself/herself to students as a professional.  Casual attire, provided it is clean and neat, is acceptable. However, NO blue jeans, sneakers and T-shirts will be allowed (unless otherwise instructed).

V.   Outside Employment and Conflicts of Interest

1.   According to Korean Immigration Law, foreign workers are allowed to work legally in Korea ONLY for the Employer/Institute for which they have received a work visa.
2.   By signing this Agreement, the Employee agrees to devote his expertise, time and attention to discharge his duties to his legal Employer and not to engage in any other activity that would in any manner whatsoever compete with the Employer and pose any conflict between the interest of the Employer and the other party and/or interfere with the performance of the Employee’s duties.
3.   If the Employee wishes to accept any other employment, such as private or part-time teaching, editing and so on, he/she must get the Director’s approval before doing so. Failure to comply with this rule may result in immediate dismissal.

VI.   Dismissal, Voluntary Resignation and Liquidating Damages

1.   The Employer will have the right to dismiss the Employee if or when:
(1)   The Employee repeatedly fails to perform his/her duties stated under this Agreement including but not limited to frequent absences from the place of Employment/Institute without approval of the Director.
(2)   The Employee fails to conduct himself/herself in a professional manner (as described in Employee’s Conduct and Dress Code section of this Agreement) resulting in damaging the image of the Institute.
(3)   The Employee places any student or a staff person in jeopardy or causes significant material damage to the Employer as a result of his/her negligence or reckless behavior.
(4)   The Employee commits any criminal act inside or outside the place of employment/Institute. This will result in immediate dismissal with neither warning nor time for remedy being given to the Employee.
(5)   The Employee has already received three (3) reprimands (warnings) from the Employer of dissatisfaction with the Employee’s performance, and the Employee has not rectified the situation.
2.   The Employee may not terminate this Agreement without a good reason. If required, 45 days prior notice must be given to the Employer before termination of the contract.
3.   In any case of dismissal or voluntary resignation, the Employer will not provide a return ticket and will not give the severance pay. In addition, if the Employee voluntarily terminates this contract before six (6) months of employment, he/she will have to reimburse to the Employer the initial airfare and other expenses that the Employer has incurred in the process of hiring of the Employee, such as recruiter’s fee, housing utilities deposit and other expenses (if applicable)
VII.   Understanding
1.   Both parties have read the above terms and conditions and agree to fulfill them in good faith and will resolve any dispute in a reasonable manner.
2.   All issues that cannot be solved by the two parties above will be solved in accordance with the appropriate laws of the Republic of Korea.

The Employer and the Employee have executed this agreement and appended their signatures on the date below:

___________________ __________               ___________________ ____________
Employer                   Employee
___________________ __________                    ___________________ _____________
      Date                           Date      

kss-god@hanmenet.com

Re: Brighton Language Academy (JEONGSANG LANGUAGE SCHOOL)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 12:47:32 pm »

I just really recommend waiting until the Spring EPIK intake. People in hagwons really seem to get screwed over. You'll just have to ask yourself if you're willing to take a worse job in order to get here 6 months earlier

I've applied to GNET and am working with a recruiter who places people in GEPIK positions. The thing with that is that I wouldn't know if I would have a job with either of those options until at least mid-July.  Would it be worth it to just wait and see if I get one of those public school positions?

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 12:54:22 pm »

I just really recommend waiting until the Spring EPIK intake. People in hagwons really seem to get screwed over. You'll just have to ask yourself if you're willing to take a worse job in order to get here 6 months earlier

I've applied to GNET and am working with a recruiter who places people in GEPIK positions. The thing with that is that I wouldn't know if I would have a job with either of those options until at least mid-July.  Would it be worth it to just wait and see if I get one of those public school positions?

Do those jobs start this August?

GNET starts at the beginning of September and GEPIK starts towards the end of August.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 01:03:18 pm »

GNET starts at the beginning of September and GEPIK starts towards the end of August.

Then yes!! OF COURSE, you should wait for the public school jobs especially if you'd be starting at the same time you wanted to anyway

Okay! My hesitation is that I'm afraid I won't get a position through either public school venue and will have missed opportunities at good hagwons (if they exist, lolz).  I have a BA in English, have experience teaching kids at summer camps, horse riding lessons, and tutoring, and have a 150 hour TEFL. Do you think I would be able to get a public school position through either GEPIK or GNET? I'm kind of scarred by not getting into the EPIK intake at all.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 01:57:53 pm »

Then yes!! OF COURSE, you should wait for the public school jobs especially if you'd be starting at the same time you wanted to anyway

Okay! My hesitation is that I'm afraid I won't get a position through either public school venue and will have missed opportunities at good hagwons (if they exist, lolz).  I have a BA in English, have experience teaching kids at summer camps, horse riding lessons, and tutoring, and have a 150 hour TEFL. Do you think I would be able to get a public school position through either GEPIK or GNET? I'm kind of scarred by not getting into the EPIK intake at all.

If you get what looks like a really good hagwon job then post that contract on here again. I haven't ever heard of a hagwon with more perks than a public school job tho. I don't see why you wouldn't get in! My BA is unrelated to teaching, I have experience with kids from summer camp and nannying, and I got a TEFL as well. I had an awful interview, in my opinion, but I got in. I don't know why you wouldn't get in unless there was an issue with paperwork or something. If you don't get in this august with GEPIK or GNET and you don't get in for next EPIK intake either, then idk what to tell you hahah. All I know is it's a dangerous gamble with hagwons and i've never heard a good story  :laugh:

I will! I think I'll shut down the constant activity from hagwons I'm getting right now and just pick and choose if I find something interesting, but otherwise wait to hear back from GEPIK and GNET.  Thanks for your advice : )

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 09:07:06 am »
I mentioned before that EPIK are still accepting applications for the Fall intake. If you want to really help your chances, tell them you want to be in a rural school as your 1st choice.

That contract is illegal with regard to paid leave re: The Korean Labor Standards Act Article 59.

That alone means don't sign it. Any employer who would proffer a contract with even one obviously illegality in it is not person you want to work for.

I could look more, they may be other dodgy stuff too.
Hail Caesar

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 11:04:41 am »
I mentioned before that EPIK are still accepting applications for the Fall intake. If you want to really help your chances, tell them you want to be in a rural school as your 1st choice.

That contract is illegal with regard to paid leave re: The Korean Labor Standards Act Article 59.

That alone means don't sign it. Any employer who would proffer a contract with even one obviously illegality in it is not person you want to work for.

I could look more, they may be other dodgy stuff too.

I already applied to EPIK and didn't even get moved to the interview round  :/

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 12:09:32 pm »
You could apply for JLP too through Canadian Connections if you don't mind being in Jeolla province. Public school positison > Hagwon every single time!

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 11:13:51 am »
You could apply for JLP too through Canadian Connections if you don't mind being in Jeolla province. Public school positison > Hagwon every single time!

I am trying to! I submitted my application to CC two days ago and still haven't heard anything, so I sent them an email to confirm they received my information.

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 02:27:16 pm »

I am trying to! I submitted my application to CC two days ago and still haven't heard anything, so I sent them an email to confirm they received my information.

Ahh ok sorry didnt realise you already had! It might be too late for the August intake with them now. My boyfriend went through a different recruiter (we're British and the recruiter we used only recruits British and Irish) and he found out where he will be working the other day. CC may carry things on a bit later though!

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 03:06:17 pm »

Ahh ok sorry didnt realise you already had! It might be too late for the August intake with them now. My boyfriend went through a different recruiter (we're British and the recruiter we used only recruits British and Irish) and he found out where he will be working the other day. CC may carry things on a bit later though!

UGH lucky! I'm getting so damned frustrated. After not getting into EPIK, it's been an uphill battle trying to find a decent position. I'm losing hope.