Read 2984 times

• cashclay
  • Super Waygook

• May 03, 2015, 03:51:12 am
    • seoul
Ulleungdo tourism?
« on: June 17, 2015, 03:54:12 pm »
Hvae ne1 been here?  I hear they offer snorkeling and scuba but thats pretty much it.  I would really like to visit and just wondering if any of you guys have been.  Please tell me that theres more to do than eat and snorkel. 

• sonny
  • Veteran

• June 10, 2015, 01:18:01 pm
    • Live~Love~Laugh
    more
Re: Ulleungdo tourism?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 04:08:31 pm »
Went on a staff trip there when i first came to Korea. I think the main draw is that its close to Dokdo and people use it as a base to get the boat out to there.
Ulleungdo itself is small and the same as every other part of korea. Just surrounded by sea.

We walked around the island. Up some 'famous' hill. Saw some old guy making pots. Ate squid.  Looked at some volcanic rocks. I couldnt believe that we had taken the boat all the way out there for what amounted to some of the most boring experiences of my life. It was my first oppurtunity to learn not to believe the words "famous" and "beautiful" when spoken by a korean.

The currents are pretty cold there. Cant imagine its a great water activity spot for most if the year.
Eat. Pray. Love. Travel. = My life

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 10:24:42 pm »
I went there back in the summer of '06 by ferry from Pohang and enjoyed the trip a lot.

The village in the small valley is dense and looks like somewhere in Europe. The walk around the place and hiking up the hill was pleasant. The green hills reminded me of Ireland. I took a trip around the coastal road and it was nice. The evening glow of shrimp boats out encircling part of the island was almost magical. The seafood dishes I had were tasty. Overall, it was a worthwhile one-night, two days trip.

The funny thing is I still have photos of the trip on my cell phone (I bought the best LG phone on the market in late '05 and still use it to this day!  :laugh:)

• hulme187
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2012, 12:54:02 pm
    • Cheongju, Chungbuk, Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 08:05:59 am »
I went on an EPIK trip and got to visit Dokdo. Ulleungdo itself is quite nice but not much to do. I'm glad it was a free trip as it's not worth paying for.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 08:09:13 am »
I went on an EPIK trip and got to visit Dokdo. Ulleungdo itself is quite nice but not much to do. I'm glad it was a free trip as it's not worth paying for.

Did you have to take part in any propaganda exercises? Holding up banners, doing the horsey dance on the rock etc..?

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 08:48:40 am »
I've been there once before and as for the natural beauty of it, I would take Ulleungdo over Jeju-do any day. Ulleung-do is actually one of my favorite places I have been in Korea. If you cannot speak Korean, then of course it makes things much more difficult.

In the middle of the island there is a volcano (think it's extinct) that had wonderful views from the top. There is a boat tour that will take you around the actual island that I thought had some pretty nice views (would definitely recommend this to the boat trip to Dokdo/Takeshima/Liancourt). We stayed at some different pensions at different places around the island for quite cheap (outside of the main port, you will have to be able to speak some Korean to book them). The path along the sea wall that you can walk along is quite relaxing and has some nice views, you can also have some really nice and fresh seafood along here at some random restaurants. As far as the scuba diving, I wasn't able to do this but I would love to. The cold water and strong currents typically make for a wonderful variety of marine life (actually a much greater variety than what you typically see in tropical waters believe it or not), so if I make it back out there I plan to do that 100%. Oh yeah, hitting the piss with the Koreans on the way out and back is a good craic, especially when everyone starts getting sick. If I had any advice, stand in the middle of the boat where there is the least movement and you will be fine.

Getting around can be a bit tricky. Taxis are definitely the easiest but can get expensive. There is a local bus that goes along the road running along the outside of the island and you can pretty much get anywhere. think it runs around every 30mins.

Here are some of my pics if you wanna check them out.
https://plus.google.com/photos/107003367478658596629/albums/5612321586257420001?banner=pwa

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 09:43:33 am »
In the middle of the island there is a volcano (think it's extinct) that had wonderful views from the top.
Yes.

There is a boat tour that will take you around the actual island that I thought had some pretty nice views (would definitely recommend this to the boat trip to Dokdo/Takeshima/Liancourt).
Yes.

We stayed at some different pensions at different places around the island for quite cheap (outside of the main port, you will have to be able to speak some Korean to book them).
*shrug* I slept in the valley of the main port and made day trips elsewhere.

The path along the sea wall that you can walk along is quite relaxing and has some nice views, you can also have some really nice and fresh seafood along here at some random restaurants.
Yes.

Taxis are definitely the easiest but can get expensive. There is a local bus that goes along the road running along the outside of the island and you can pretty much get anywhere. think it runs around every 30mins.
I took the bus and found it frequent and easy peasy.

I've been there once before and as for the natural beauty of it, I would take Ulleungdo over Jeju-do any day.
Er,... no. :huh:

I have lived on Jeju Island for the last 5+ years and if I judged it based on my two-day 2006 trip I might have agreed with you. But, Jeju blows my mind when I consider all it really has to offer , having travelled to Ulleungdo, Sokcho, Geoje, Namhae, Wando, Hongdo, and plenty of other parts coastal in this country over the last 13 years.

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 10:19:32 am »

I've been there once before and as for the natural beauty of it, I would take Ulleungdo over Jeju-do any day.
Er,... no. :huh:

I have lived on Jeju Island for the last 5+ years and if I judged it based on my two-day 2006 trip I might have agreed with you. But, Jeju blows my mind when I consider all it really has to offer , having travelled to Ulleungdo, Sokcho, Geoje, Namhae, Wando, Hongdo, and plenty of other parts coastal in this country over the last 13 years.

Everyone has their personal opinions and preferences, so OP I would say go and check things out for yourself. Well worth the trip in my opinion. It's much better if you have more than 3 days though. I think 4 days is perfect, if having to make the trip from Seoul for example.

• Timo
  • Super Waygook

• May 21, 2015, 02:47:36 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 10:21:58 am »
Have considered this for a while... What sort of cost are we talking about? Last time I looked it was $lol

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 10:40:48 am »
I would say the only thing that may be a bit expensive is the boat ride there and back. I can't remember the exact price, but I know it is cheaper than a plane ticket to Jeju for example. Once there, I would say that other things are comparable to anywhere else in Korea. As you would expect, things are more expensive in the summer season so it's probably a good idea to book your accommodation in advance. Also, the more people you have with you to share the costs of transport (taxis) and accommodation the better.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 10:41:07 am »
I visited Ulleungdo with a friend for about a week during my summer vacation a few years ago, and really enjoyed myself.

Did a lot of hiking, some camping in the bush (brought a tent and some basic gear), some snorkeling (the water was VERY clear at the time, although pretty darn cold, and not a heck of a lot of fish to see), and visited all the tiny hamlets and ate all their 'famous' foods (most of which contained pumpkin and seafood in one form or another).

- Visited the botanical garden.
- Enjoyed the summer festival (joined all the kiddies for the 'catch squid with your bare hands in the swimming pool' event).
- Hiked to the mountain summit (didn't see the Liancourt Rocks, despite that it was a clear day and that it is supposed to be visible)
- Went on some boat tours (saw the 'famous' elephant rock (which actually does look like an elephant) and was mobbed by seagulls)
- Visited a bunch of shrines. Drank the 'famous' spring water which was so infused with limestone that it was naturally carbonated and had an almost citrus tang to it (like a disgustingly unsweetened fanta)
- Got told off by military dudes when we hiked too close to the base.
- Saw some pretty waterfalls and a few tiny 'naturally' cooled caves (swear to god: one of the walls consisted of faux rock plaster, and one could hear refrigerator type sounds coming from behind it...  :laugh: )

TL;DR Anyway, lots to do, but would only recommend an extended visit if you're into outdoorsy stuff and with a good friend.

Some pics of the island that might help u decide:

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 10:36:09 am »
Is that place cooler in summer due to it's location and being surrounded by colder waters?  Would it be a good place to escape the heat in humidity? 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 10:58:51 am »
During the summertime, its one or two degrees cooler than the mainland (climate chart), but more importantly, it's also a bit windier than most areas on the peninsula. A mid-afternoon breeze can cut through the humidity quite nicely!

But honestly, no, I don't recall the difference being enough that I would say it's an escape from the typical Korean summer climate.  :undecided: