Read 27836 times

• englishrose
  • Expert Waygook

• June 24, 2013, 07:27:22 am
    • South Korea
Re: Why Korea is Not a Good Tourist Destination.
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2015, 11:24:24 am »

I remember going to Japan in 2010 and being surprised how modern everything was and now in 2015, here too.

Interesting. I was surprised at how low tech Japan sometimes was. Taking the subway in Kyoto reminded me of my childhood. Big chunky buttons with  bulbs inside. Like a vision of the future from the fifties.

I don't think I would like to live in Japan though. There is something of a rigidity to the place. As for tourism, Japan is miles ahead of Korea in things of interest to see and do. I I was more fascinated just by taking a casual walk in some random neighborhood than in my entire time here.

The big problem with Japan is that when you return to Korea you will be in a funk for a week or so. I tend to see everything as a rundown copy of Japan. As if Korea was an experiment to see what would happen if Japanese people stopped caring.

• Mashley30
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2011, 11:47:35 am
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2015, 11:55:56 am »

Hotels in Seoul are pretty ridiculous. Expensive for what you get.

Also, taxis. Taxis in Seoul are absolutely ridiculous, with the additional headache of Koreans just walking in front of you to get in. My brother was very frustrated with taxis when he visited.

I like living in Korea a lot but it's probably a similar cost as Tokyo traveling with less to see and less quirks to deal with. My 22원

« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2015, 12:21:09 pm »
Interesting. I was surprised at how low tech Japan sometimes was

I never really experienced that....I found Japan to be quite technologically advanced. I thought their tech industry was strong, creative, and far ahead. What "low tech" did you see there? 

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2015, 12:31:41 pm »

I never really experienced that....I found Japan to be quite technologically advanced. I thought their tech industry was strong, creative, and far ahead. What "low tech" did you see there?

man i went ot japan and saw some temple or some shit that was like 500 years old or something wtf

• Mashley30
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2011, 11:47:35 am
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2015, 12:32:00 pm »

tbh I found Japan (Kyoto in particular) to be somewhat of a headache when dealing with the public transportation. it didn't feel very intuitive to me.

« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2015, 01:16:54 pm »

man i went ot japan and saw some temple or some shit that was like 500 years old or something wtf

LOL. Yeah, definitely. I went to Japan and saw a squatter toilet, and thought like WTF dude, is this Korea?
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• englishrose
  • Expert Waygook

• June 24, 2013, 07:27:22 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2015, 01:22:35 pm »

The fragmented public transport and the machinery was one of the things that bothered me. We also had snags renting a car (a lot of websites just give you the details of the branch but no booking possibility. It's also telling that the 7/11 is the best place to withdraw cash. Wifi not as widespread as here.

It's well known that Japan is one of the last places where the fax machine is a vital office tool.

I should say I am not really a techie so I haven't looked at the industry itself. It was just a general impression.

• Horsey
  • Adventurer

• October 01, 2014, 02:21:08 pm
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2015, 01:42:37 pm »
I agree. Japan was like being stuck in a Mega Drive or a Nintendo. Very cool, but not modern in some respects technologically. Economic explanations for this.

• 외계인
  • Expert Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 07:32:33 am
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2015, 01:53:09 pm »

Lol, who are you, Baphomet?

« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2015, 02:47:58 pm »

I remember going to Japan in 2010 and being surprised how modern everything was and now in 2015, here too.

Interesting. I was surprised at how low tech Japan sometimes was. Taking the subway in Kyoto reminded me of my childhood. Big chunky buttons with  bulbs inside. Like a vision of the future from the fifties.

I don't think I would like to live in Japan though. There is something of a rigidity to the place. As for tourism, Japan is miles ahead of Korea in things of interest to see and do. I I was more fascinated just by taking a casual walk in some random neighborhood than in my entire time here.

The big problem with Japan is that when you return to Korea you will be in a funk for a week or so. I tend to see everything as a rundown copy of Japan. As if Korea was an experiment to see what would happen if Japanese people stopped caring.

I just meant compared to my previous life in rural Korea where everything was "우리 나라".   You know everything Korean is great and everything not Korean was not great kind of mentality.  A dude opened a European hotdog type restaurant franchise in my town and within several months it was gone because it wasn't rice and kimchi.  Buildings looked run down and if you found a place that served sgatti, it was tomatosauce from a can and imshil cheese sprinkled on top or something like that.  Garbage was everywhere and many buildings bathrooms and public spaces were the most unsanitary

Anyhow, I went to Tokyo in 2010 and the country seemed very westernized compared to my life in rural Korea and even more westernized than Seoul was at the time. (As for technology, I'd say with the lost 20 years or whatever they call it, Japan has probably lost a lot of ground and fallen behind.)  But it seemed more westernized and modern.  I went to a furniture store and saw cushion sofas, I saw modern looking houses from the train (maybe a western asian fusion), a lack of garbage everywhere, every kind of international restaurant, more western food products being sold in their supermarkets compared to ehre, wakedinto bread stores where they had thing likepizza bread thatweren't crap and muffins tasted like muffins, you could buy blueberry yogurt (which korea did not have at the time).  The list just went on and on.  Now the last 3 years or so in Korea, I think Korea took a great leap forward and now, even in the regional cities has many more products, and the country feels more modern.  There are many new deveopment areas that look more modern and in some places those old 3rd world buildings have either gotten a renovation or torn down and replaced with something new.  Also a lot of rivers here have recently been rebuilt and have trails along them.     

Anyhow, in terms of technology, Korea is probably getting Japan beat.  Korea has gone through some kind of amazing metamorphosos (not sure how to spell that) just the last 3 or 4 years here.

I remember going through Seoul in say 2007 and outside of Itaewon it was hard to find stuff.  You definately had to rely on those Namdaemun underground markets more with stuff off the base.  You'd have to ride multiple stops just to find a McDonalds.  Not sure if there were maybe a few burger kings around.  But western was limited even then.  Now McDonalds and Starbucks and others are on just abou tevery corner.  Even out here in the provinces there are at least quite a few of these and spread out over town.  You can find Indian, Thai reastaurants, not just out of Itaewan, but also out in the regional cities. 

Back then, in the regional cities, you had one McDonalds, a Pizza Hut, and a couple of Dunkin Donuts, and that was about it.  Other types of restaurants were either Korean or some Koreanized version of a place that totally raped the indginous culture and left very little of it's real food behind.  (Of course in my old rural area there was none of these, just some smaller marts, a lotte super - now there are at least some lotte marts, home plus or e marts a bit mroe spread out and some basic franchises like a dunkin donuts, basking robbins and the like.  Many walking areas even in these places have been fixed up, they've planted more trees, etc.)

I'm starting to think I could write a book just on the changes in the last  8 and a half years or so.  I use to be interested in reading those comments on Daves from old times who would write about Seoul in the 1990's.  I don't see many of the old ladies with curly hair and flowery pants who are short, tough, and push everyone out of their way anymore.  They often sold vegetables on the side of the road.  (Guessing many of them haven't migrated to this site?)  Last but not least, you finally start to buy some bigger clothes that fit (if you have a few extra pounds or a belly or whatever.  If you're really obese, your prob still out of luck.)

« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2015, 03:05:43 pm »
Can't find the best beaches topic here.  Waygook's search engine sucks sometimes.  So, I'll just post it here.

If you can use Naver and figure it out on street view.  Here are some places that look like good beaches.  I also discovered one palces that rents out camper trailer RV types but haven't contacted them. 

http://map.naver.com/local/siteview.nhn?code=12079976

http://www.gntour.go.kr/

http://map.naver.com/local/siteview.nhn?code=35279358

http://www.mangsangcamping.or.kr/board/06.htm?mode=view&idx=1849&mv_data=aWR4PTE4NDkmc3RhcnRQYWdlPSZsaXN0Tm89JnRhYmxlPWNzX2Jic19kYXRhJmNvZGU9bXMycGhvdG8mc2VhcmNoX2l0ZW09JnNlYXJjaF9vcmRlcj0=||

If they are open in fall season, I'd consider it myself some weekend.  :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:16:32 pm by weigookin74 »

« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2015, 03:09:35 pm »
Anyhow, in terms of technology, Korea is probably getting Japan beat.  Korea has gone through some kind of amazing metamorphosos (not sure how to spell that) just the last 3 or 4 years here.

Really I didnt notice Korea beating Japan in this category although I have heard this multiple times. It seemed the tech was exactly the same (minus the wi-fi being scarce and fax machines in the offices). It really appeared that things were up to date there and modern.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2015, 03:11:39 pm »

I feel that way after a trip anywhere these days.   :-[  Sometimes I'm not even back inside Korea before I get depressed.  Getting shoved at the gate, hearing the scream talking from down the hall, is enough to start the reconsideration of my life.  Don't worry though, I'm outta here soon.  (and just to note, I don't hate Korea, mostly because it has paid me enough to spend a good amount of time in more interesting countries.  But eventually you have to move on). 

• iseya
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 06:14:49 pm
    • USA
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2015, 09:19:22 pm »
I would love to save some cash and travel around Korea, but there's just not much to do or see. 
I ask Koreans all the time where should I go for the weekend, or vacation?  It's always either Jeju, Geoje, Busan, or Jeonju  (or Cheonju--whichever place is famous for bimbimbap).   I've been to Jeju, Geoje, and Busan. They are all lovely places--but there wasn't anything unique about them.   

Korea does a lousy job at promoting whatever they have. 
At Incheon airport, there are some beautiful pictures of some landscapes (i'm presuming they are in Korea)  Everytime I come back from a vacation (in ANOTHER country), I see these pictures, and think "wow. That's pretty. It'd be AWESOME if i knew where that was"  There isn't any description on where the place is in either English or Hangul.  I've seen this in subways in Seoul as well.
Korea has a ton of festivals--and they are alllllllll crap.  They're all the same, just replace strawberries with ginseng, or lilies.  Those could be fun and big draws if they put in a smidgen of original thought into them.
Japan has a lot of festivals as well, and they're unique and fun as shit.

What Korea does well: (specifically Seoul really)
Transportation system is cheap and great.
They have some great modern art museums.
Live shows and performances are frequent and not too expensive  (plays, musicals)
You can eat and drink as long as you like.
Night life isn't bad, but unless youre in Itaewon, good luck picking up ladies.

Korea isnt a  great tourist destination...but it would be good for a 2 or 3 month study abroad experience.
If i were just travelling abroad to Asia, coming to Korea would be a waste considering what's around. 

• iseya
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 06:14:49 pm
    • USA
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2015, 09:22:26 pm »

Also, taxis. Taxis in Seoul are absolutely ridiculous, with the additional headache of Koreans just walking in front of you to get in. My brother was very frustrated with taxis when he visited.

I like living in Korea a lot but it's probably a similar cost as Tokyo traveling with less to see and less quirks to deal with. My 22원
haha my man...where else have you taken taxis?  I think Korea is pretty decent as far as prices goes.
Japan's taxi prices are absolutely ridiculous. Service is 300% better, but you will pay an arm and a leg for all manners of transportation in Japan. 

« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2015, 10:53:25 pm »

haha my man...where else have you taken taxis?  I think Korea is pretty decent as far as prices goes.
Japan's taxi prices are absolutely ridiculous. Service is 300% better, but you will pay an arm and a leg for all manners of transportation in Japan.

That's true, public transportation is ridiculously expensive, in Japan. Marvel at the Shinkansen, but don't take it unless your rich Japanese relative is on their deathbed, in the next city. Then again, the Japanese seem to have put a lot more thought into planning their cities. In other words, in an average Japanese city, everything is within walking distance. It's not like Korea, were nearly every computer shop in the country decides to set up shop in a single district and only in the large cities.