Read 27837 times

Why Korea is Not a Good Tourist Destination.
« on: June 16, 2015, 10:02:00 am »
http://magazine.tripzilla.com/about-south-korea-terrible-travel-destination/22081

This article tells 20 reaons why Korea is not a good travel destination. I do not agree with number 9 but the others are justifiable, knowing the fact that it's the people of Korea that makes this country have a lot of dullness to it.

• sonny
  • Veteran

• June 10, 2015, 01:18:01 pm
    • Live~Love~Laugh
    more
Re: Why Korea is Not a Good Tourist Destination.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 10:09:33 am »
You over played your hand. No one is that stupid.

The troll has shown himself fully in the light.

Or......you really are that dumb.
Eat. Pray. Love. Travel. = My life

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 10:10:59 am »
Ha ha I see what she did there. Very clever. 17,18 and 20 backfired however, because they are spot on. Good decision to show a photo of Haeundai beach at night instead of during the day with a million people on it. And she just couldn't resist having a little boast about Korea taking over something or other could she.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:18:22 am by eggieguffer »

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 12:43:21 pm »
Fair is fair.

1. First of all, nobody likes barbecued meat - its a bit fatty
2. Neither is fried chicken an awesome dish - you can get that anywhere and quality of chicken in it is crappy.
3. And the rest of their food are so boring - 70% of it is in the same sauce.
4. Their technology is out of date - Pity the stole it from everyone else.
5. Haeundae beach is just overrated - no comment needed
6. And thereís nothing fancy about a heart-shaped island  - is there a Paris Baguette there.
7. Koreans arenít even cute! - meh
8. Sprog - Yes enjoy unsupervised sprogs roaming the streets.
9. Have I mentioned about the inconvenience of getting around? - Yeah the big cities have good public transport.  Easy to get out.
10. And whatís the big deal about having the no. 1 wooden coaster in the world? - enjoy fighting your way to the front of the line.
11. Itís so dull everywhere - hahahahaha. Can a Korean survive without seeing  Lotteria everyday?
12. Seriously Korea, itís time to beautify your surroundings - put up some public trash cans for a start.
13. Just a temple beside an ocean, nothing special - this was nice but no room to breath at any decent tourist destination in Korea.
14. Their beauty products are awfulÖ - they are pretty shit if you don't want to Michael Jackson look.
15. And the shopping streets are pathetic - parts of Seoul are great but the customer service is generally poor and they don't really stock Western sizes. It's no KL.
16. The cafes have animals in them Ė no one likes that! - urgh. Dog cafes are the worst.
17. And playing with mud? Nasty. - Hello Pinkeye
18. Spending a night at a sauna bathhouse is a terrible idea - if its a nice one I like it, if its a old lady one then run for you life.
19. And so is going to this strange theme park - I went to Love Land in Gyeongju...so pointless.
20. And as if all these arenít bad enough, thereís just nothing impressive about its entertainment industry - still waiting for that non- PSY American break through aren't they? Who are they predicting for this year?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:17:55 pm by Nivea »

• Timo
  • Super Waygook

• May 21, 2015, 02:47:36 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 02:17:10 pm »

• englishrose
  • Expert Waygook

• June 24, 2013, 07:27:22 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 02:23:13 pm »
Bored so I'm gonna do a hatchet job on the list. Mainly it;s a great advert for going somewhere else

1. Barbecued meat is great which is why you should go to Argentina, Australia, Brazil, South Africa or Dixie.

2. Fried chicken. Ditto going to Dixie plus it's really not that good.

3. Most Asian countries have foods that will push you out of your comfort zone. The key difference is that sometimes they taste good abroad. Once had some excellent spicy crickets in Thailand.

4. The tech is great except you can't use it unless you download all manner of certificates, speak Korean fluently, think Explorer is a great browser and love malware.

5. Haeundae beach is not even the best beach in Korea. Globally it's on par with some beaches on the Baltic with a nice dose of overcrowding thrown in.

6. Heart shaped island. If for some obscure reason you think your islands should resemble something then Dubai is the place to go.

7. Not my area of expertise but I do understand that French and Italian men have a reputation in that department.

8. Babies. Are babies from elsewhere ugly? Are cute babies a reason to visit somewhere. There are government lists for people who go abroad based on the attractiveness of children. Places to stay for free, too!

9. Fair point but good transport is more of a bonus for those who live and work there than tourists.

10. Really? Come and see a rather small roller coaster made of materials susceptible to rot and insects!.

11. Nice pic. Google Angkor Wat, Edo Castle or the Hermitage.

12  It's basically some kitschy Korean recreation of a Northern European (Belgian or Dutch by the look of it) town. In other words, come to Korea to visit an ersatz and saccharine version of a real place you could also go to.

13. See 11

14. Yeah! Skin bleaching products!

15. No idea about shopping so can't take a shot. Not sure if a pic that includes DVD bangs is the one to go with. As for excess of neon, Japan and Hong Kong have got that covered.

16. Come and see happy pets in a cafe. Then go to the countryside to witness no end of mistreatment to the poor creatures. Bring your own latte.

17. Come and roll around in mud while dodgy ajosshis take pictures of you in a bikini! Develop some interesting skin conditions!

18. Sleep on the floor with strangers. Also google Onsen.

19. It's a fun park to be fair but not really worth a long flight.

20. Huh?

21. Gangnam style in Seoul! About as original as going to the Pisa tower and pretending to hold it up.

Scrap that the who

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 02:33:37 pm »
Yeah, I know this isn't trying to be anything more than a throwaway list, but it's touched on a pet peeve of mine so please excuse the mini rant.

Must all tourism advice and promotion be gimmicky? Even Anthony Bourdain couldn't stick to a sensible straightforward format when showcasing this country. It's not like travel advice for Korea is a flooded market where gimmicks are needed to pull ahead. Sensible, up-to-date, fact checked and detailed itineraries are sorely lacking.

So to answer the question posed: Korea is not a good tourist destination because it lacks good tourist guides.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 02:39:35 pm »
21. MERS

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 02:40:40 pm »
Just one word to describe what there is to see in Korea:  Replicas.   That is it.  Everything is new with a sign attached that it is 2000 years old.  Although it was built just last year.  Very displeasing after a while.  The gate near Seoul station takes the cake.  It burned down and it should have stayed down.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 02:43:09 pm »
Well, just don't come in summer, unless you're from SE Asia and accustomed to rainy muggy humid and hot weather.  Also some parts of winter though not cold can be quite dreary, cloudy, and sometimes bad air from China will drift over.  Spring is decent much of the time, though days can be mixed and have yellow dust.  Many eyars, it's humid, though this year was not until now. 

I always tell folks back home if they ever get the urge to visit NE Asia, late September through October is the best time to come.  Go to Seoul in summer where they often don't use enough air con and it's just hot will elad to cranky irritability and nasty tempers.  Korea's beautiful in fall when you have or when you have clear days.  Mountains and gold colored rice fields and some traditional sites to see can be cool. But Koreans market their country the wrong way and encourage folks to come at the wrong time of year.   If you're a westerner not accustomed to big cities, it can be cool to explore someparts of Seoul such as Namsan tower at night and see some neon lit up in places.  Though if it's a shopping tour of Seoul, late fall and winter is probably best so you don't sweat like crazy walking around.   

Anyways, I like the countryside with the odd jaunt to the city. If I were a multi millionaire, I'd live in the country with a nice house and have a small apartment or condo in the city to visit from time to time.  SO, my tastes might be different.  But, the megaopolis may have some appeal to small and mid sized North Americans.  But the rural city getting brief exposure to traditional life while mainly doing modern things, like canoine or kayaking down some large rivers, cycling through the a low traffic country road with golden rice fields, cosmos flowers in autumn, going hiking up some high mountain would be cool.  But some of those old run down shabby motels and minbaks got to go. Get the pensions onto a travel website and speak English, haul those tourists in by the dozens. 

As for playing in mud, well, you's all can enjoy the rainy humid hot weather.  I'll sit at home this weekend with the air con cranked to luxurious heaven.  I'll come out of semi hibernation when the weather cools down. 

As for Seoul, itself, it'salright. Some cities are more cosmopolitan, but it's better than before.  Prob for expats is the jobs (SMOE and GEPIK) up there don't seem to pay.  Guess that's not for tourists though. 

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 02:45:53 pm »
Basically, a bunch of the pop culture stuff is crap.  Focus somewhat on the megaopolis aspect, but mainly, at the right time ofyear, do a bit - briefly - of the traditional culture stuff.  Mostly focus on the outdoors and doing cool pursuits and vary it by age or fitness level.  Old folks mostly bus tours, taking pictures, buying some hand made stuff,e tc.  Younger folks, biking, ect. 

Prob is some of these outdoors pursuits try to do this crap in sumer when the weather sucks, it's too hot, and too dreary. 

• englishrose
  • Expert Waygook

• June 24, 2013, 07:27:22 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 02:57:00 pm »
The truth is that Korea has something that pulls in Asian tourists but it will never, ever be a bucket list place for westerners.

I can't thing of one thing that is here that is not better in another place. Not one. Temples, gastronomy, nightlife, shopping, exoticism and even debauchery; there is much better elsewhere.

These things pop up from time to time as some Koreans would like reciprocity from Westerners. They Ooh and Aah across Europe or the States and they want denizens from that place to feel the same way about their country. It's not really an attempt to bring in tourist dollars but an ego massage. Chinese tourists spend way more than longnoses anyway. No one is ever going to be awestruck in Korea. Ever.

Chill out Korea. You're a nice girl and well liked by those who know you but you are never going to be a supermodel.

• Timo
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 03:20:56 pm »
The truth is that Korea has something that pulls in Asian tourists but it will never, ever be a bucket list place for westerners.

I can't thing of one thing that is here that is not better in another place. Not one. Temples, gastronomy, nightlife, shopping, exoticism and even debauchery; there is much better elsewhere.

These things pop up from time to time as some Koreans would like reciprocity from Westerners. They Ooh and Aah across Europe or the States and they want denizens from that place to feel the same way about their country. It's not really an attempt to bring in tourist dollars but an ego massage. Chinese tourists spend way more than longnoses anyway. No one is ever going to be awestruck in Korea. Ever.

Chill out Korea. You're a nice girl and well liked by those who know you but you are never going to be a supermodel.
Which country/city has better public transport, just out of interest?

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 03:27:19 pm »

Most European capitals have extensive public transport system that will get a tourist where ever they want to go, Berlin, London. Hong Kong, Singapore and Toyko have very good systems too. I would say that Singapore's is probably the cleanest and politest. If Seoul wins out over any of them it would be in terms of price. I think its probably one of the cheapest transits systems in a capital city. But I'd rather visit any of the other cities mentioned as there is more to see on the transport system.

• kiwikimchi
  • Expert Waygook

• December 27, 2010, 10:15:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 03:31:20 pm »
Short answer, there isn't any thing interesting to see or do and the people are racist and unfriendly.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 03:53:08 pm »
The Seoul Subway is cheap but a lot of the people who use it are ignorant c*nts. Door blockers, slow walking people staring at some sh!te drama or Starcraft on their phones or the people barging past you to get that magical single seat. Cheap, yes but lacks etiquette.

Take the train out of Seoul somewhere with a reserved seat; much more enjoyable experience.

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 03:54:53 pm »
Between the smog, the hard beds, and the fact that Korean tourism caters exclusively to Koreans, Korea is a miserable place to be a tourist. I don't mind living here (usually) but the only places I've enjoyed here are Guinsa and a couple neglected temples.

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 03:58:01 pm »
Horrible article. Pathetic attempt at journalism.

• Timo
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 04:12:04 pm »

Most European capitals have extensive public transport system that will get a tourist where ever they want to go, Berlin, London. Hong Kong, Singapore and Toyko have very good systems too. I would say that Singapore's is probably the cleanest and politest. If Seoul wins out over any of them it would be in terms of price. I think its probably one of the cheapest transits systems in a capital city. But I'd rather visit any of the other cities mentioned as there is more to see on the transport system.
You haven't been to London or Berlin have you? London is diabolical and horrendously expensive.
Zone 1 to Zone 2 (which can be 1 stop) is as much as 5,000KRW.
The trains are old, the air is stale, it's overcrowded... Awful. 

I've personally never been on a better one than Seoul. The WiFi, aircon, cost, speed, regularity... Literally the only negative is that it closes.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 04:33:54 pm »